Good Times ~ Season 5 (1977)

DuranDuran

Proud Member
GoodTimes_S5.jpg

This is the debut episode of Janet. It's part 1 of a four episode story called "The Evans Get Involved".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUK9k57w_yE&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbIYR2waYU&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZyuFbM86o&fmt=18

Thanks for posting this.

I remember crying the first time I saw this as a child. I think I'll watch this just to remember, even though I don't watch Good Times (As a kid, I was so sad watching it; there just seemed to always be something standing between them getting out of the projects).

They always deal with such seeerious issues on that show and to have people laughing in the background.. it just makes it very uncomfortable to watch. =/

They always deal with such seeerious issues on that show and to have people laughing in the background.. it just makes it very uncomfortable to watch. =/

That was the times. Today people are just used to PC sitcoms about nothing. Many of the sitcoms of the 70s had serious backgrounds dealt with in a humorous way like Sanford & Son, All In The Family, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, M*A*S*H*, Chico & The Man, and The Jeffersons.

Episode 4: The Evans Get Involved Part 4

[youtube]QY1U0a9mKEA&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]nGGOT_ZyGg8&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]4Aprjdg_VIY&fmt=18[/youtube]

I used to watch this show as a kid. I clearly remember when Janet joined the cast. She was so cute. I grew up in the projects so I could relate to these people somewhat. Sitcoms these days are all about sex, it seems. They don't make them like this anymore.

I'm gonna have to get this on DVD when I go to Best Buy. I don't do youtube for tv shows. -_-

Viola Davis, Andre Braugher, Tiffany Haddish to Star in ABC's Live 'Good Times'

December 12, 2019 | by Rick Porter | Hollywood Reporter
5bba2ec8946d20138b2cfc06d146bad814ee027b.jpg

ABC has lined up a pair of Emmy winners to star in its re-creation of Good Times for the second Live in Front of a Studio Audience special.

How to Get Away With Murder star Viola Davis and Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Andre Braugher will head the cast for the Good Times episode. Tiffany Haddish, When They See Us stars Asante Blackk and Jharrel Jerome, Saturday Night Live alum Jay Pharoah and Corinne Foxx round out the ensemble.

Additionally, Black-ish star Anthony Anderson and R&B legend Patti LaBelle will perform the show's theme song during the special.

Live in Front of a Studio Audience, set to air Dec. 18 on ABC, will re-create episodes of Norman Lear's All in the Family and Good Times. It follows a successful May staging of episodes of All in the Family and The Jeffersons, which drew better than 10 million viewers for its first airing and grew to more than 12 million with delayed viewing.

Davis and Braugher will play Florida and James Evans, parents of the working-class Chicago family at the center of Good Times (Esther Rolle and John Amos played the parts in the series, which ran from 1974 to 1979). Pharoah will play eldest son J.J. (Jimmie Walker in the original), known for his "Dy-no-mite!" catchphrase. Foxx and Blackk will play kids Thelma and Michael Evans (Bernnadette Stanis and Ralph Carter in the series), and Haddish will play neighbor Wilona Woods, originally played by Ja'net Dubois. Jerome's role is being kept under wraps.

Foxx's dad, Jamie Foxx, played George Jefferson in The Jeffersons episode in May.

For All in the Family, Woody Harrelson, Marisa Tomei, Ellie Kemper and Ike Barinholtz will reprise their roles from the May special as, respectively, Archie and Edith Bunker, their daughter Gloria and her husband, Mike "Meathead" Stivic. Kevin Bacon, Jesse Eisenberg and Justina Machado will also star.

Live in Front of a Studio Audience comes from Kimmelot, ACT III Productions, Gary Sanchez Productions, D'Arconville, Simpson Street and Sony Pictures Television. Norman Lear, Jimmy Kimmel, Brent Miller, Kerry Washington, Will Ferrell, Justin Theroux and Jim Burrows will executive produce, with Pam Fryman and Andy Fisher set to direct.

Ja'Net DuBois (August 5, 1945 - February 18, 2020)

February 18th 2020 Shadow And Act
tumblr_nfnf9pDemv1qgtqgzo1_1280.jpg

Legendary actress and Emmy winner Ja'Net Dubois has died at the age of 74.

TMZ is reporting DuBois died unexpectedly in her sleep Monday night. She was said to be in good health and even appeared at an event in Hollywood in the past few days.

She first got her start in the industry on Broadway in Golden Boy with Sammy Davis Jr. and Louis Gossett Jr. She made history as the first Black woman to be a regular cast member on a daytime soap opera when she was cast as Loretta Allen on CBS's Love of Life in 1970.

DuBois is most known for her star-making role as Willona Woods in the sitcom Good Times. She also famously performed the theme song for another sitcom, The Jeffersons.

Her other major credits include, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Roots: The Next Generations, The Wayans Bros. and The PJs. She won two Emmy Awards for her work in the latter.

The actress founded Ja'net DuBois Academy of Theater Arts and Sciences, a performing arts school in Long Island, New York that operated in the 1980s. DuBois, Danny Glover and Ayuko Babu also founded the Pan-African Film Festival in 1992, which is currently taking place in Los Angeles this week.

This is a developing story; more to come.

Back