Bob Dylan Stopped By Police, Asked For I.D.

Emerald

Proud Member
(Associated Press) Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.

Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.

A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.

"I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.

The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:

"What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.

"Bob Dylan," Dylan said.

"OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.

"I'm on tour," the singer replied.

A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.

The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.

The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.

The officers thanked him for his cooperation.

"He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.

How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.

Bob Dylan.........get a clue, cops! How could they not recognise that name? I'd love so much to meet him!

Also, LOL he got stopped by cops for walking around? What?!

Last edited:
i cant necessarily say that i could pick him out in a crowd, but once someone said his name i would instantly know LOL silly cops!

i cant necessarily say that i could pick him out in a crowd, but once someone said his name i would instantly know LOL silly cops!

yeah I couldn't either......but that voice of his is unforgettable......not in a good way either...lol..I have never been a big Bob Dylan fan, But I am sure he does have a respectable amount of fans. thanks for the post..:)

Well, what do you expect? It's not like he's Lil' Wayne or something. :p

yeah I couldn't either......but that voice of his is unforgettable......not in a good way either...lol..I have never been a big Bob Dylan fan, But I am sure he does have a respectable amount of fans. thanks for the post..:)

:O Don't you be doggin' on my Robert! lol! A respectable amount of fans?
Bob is a legend of music loved the world over!

Well, what do you expect? It's not like he's Lil' Wayne or something. :p

LOL!!

LMAO this is just too funny.

Not to get off topic with the whole "cops stopping Bob Dylan" thing...but I have a funny story about Bob I need to share with you all.

When I was a young pre-teen...maybe just into my teens.....I heard a Bob Dylan song and I said to my Dad, "Man....he sounds an awful like Tom Petty!"...needless to say my Dad laughed and said I had that backwards. LMAO

Wow lmao, get a clue is right. How embarrassing for those police. I'm 17 and I even know who Bob Dylan is.. lol

LMAO this is just too funny.

Not to get off topic with the whole "cops stopping Bob Dylan" thing...but I have a funny story about Bob I need to share with you all.

When I was a young pre-teen...maybe just into my teens.....I heard a Bob Dylan song and I said to my Dad, "Man....he sounds an awful like Tom Petty!"...needless to say my Dad laughed and said I had that backwards. LMAO

lol tut tut! :) The voice, maybe, is an acquired taste. But the lyrics and the GENIUS are universal!

Wow lmao, get a clue is right. How embarrassing for those police. I'm 17 and I even know who Bob Dylan is.. lol

Haha! And glad to hear it :)

I walked right past Martin Sheen once without having a clue until someone else pointed him out. And I actually knew Martin Sheen well (not personally, of course, but I knew of him well).

But yeah, this isn't really all that surprising. It happens.

The part of the officers not knowing who he was is so damn funny! Bob should have told them to go home and google him. LOL!

Also, LOL he got stopped by cops for walking around? What?!

yea, we dont like it when people are walking up and down small random streets here in the u.s. we must be loitering as they like to say on the signs even, and plotting something evil.

its funny, but not all celebs are obvious either. some are able to blend in. yes even mr. bob dylan. haaaaaaa woo

yea, we dont like it when people are walking up and down small random streets here in the u.s. we must be loitering as they like to say on the signs even, and plotting something evil.

its funny, but not all celebs are obvious either. some are able to blend in. yes even mr. bob dylan. haaaaaaa woo

haha we are either loitering, soliciting, or getting ready to shoot people up...atleats that's what's assumed.

and god forbid we park on the 'wrong side of the street' ugh lol

lol! Wow!

haha yeah Bob, though a huge star, is able to maintain his privacy and I respect that. He's lucky.

@ london, " o robert zimmerman you" LOL! Did you know he actually legally changed his name to Bob Dylan? Now his kids are called Dylan which is a different name to their grandparents and the rest of their family etc. lol oh Robert!

:O Don't you be doggin' on my Robert! lol! A respectable amount of fans?
Bob is a legend of music loved the world over!

LOL!!

LMAO.......as I said I know who he is.....and I agree with you he is an acquired taste. He just isn't my cup of tea. But to those fans who love him, I am sorry he got in trouble.:)

LMAO.......as I said I know who he is.....and I agree with you he is an acquired taste. He just isn't my cup of tea. But to those fans who love him, I am sorry he got in trouble.:)

haha thanks?! But he didn't get in trouble? :)

by Bruce Haring | April 9, 2020 | Deadline
rexfeatures_6261732a.jpg

He’s survived punk, disco, a deep dive into religion, the rise of boy bands and electronica, Soy Bomb and going electric. Now, 78-year-old Bob Dylan has again shown the young kids how it’s done, scoring his first No. 1 on any Billboard chart with his 17-minute song, “Murder Most Foul.”

As hard as it is to believe, the Voice of a Generation never had a No. 1 on the Billboard charts under his own name. This time, in the increasingly fractured chart world, his musical examination of the JFK murder tops the Rock Digital Song Sales category, selling 10,000 downloads.

Dylan has hits he has written rise to No.1. His “Blowin’ in the Wind” was taken to No. 1 in 1963 by Peter, Paul and Mary, and the Byrds’ scored the top slot with his “Mr. Tambourine Man” in 1965. As strange as it seems, such classics as “Like a Rolling Stone” and “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35” were caught short of the fence, stopping at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. “Lay Lady Lay” hit No. 7 in 1969.

Dylan remains a road warhorse, doing more than 60 dates per year after years of doing more than 100 per year on his Never-Ending Tour.
[video=youtube;3NbQkyvbw18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbQkyvbw18[/video]

by Ethan Millman | December 8, 2020 | Rolling Stone
bob-dylan-turned-down-400m.jpg

Prior to taking his deal with Universal Music Publishing Group, Bob Dylan turned down a $400 million bid from Merck Mercuriadis’s Hipgnosis Songs Fund, a source familiar to the situation tells Rolling Stone. It is believed Mercuriadis was the only other bidder for the catalog.

Mercuriadis declined to comment for the story beyond commending UMPG for its acquisition. “I congratulate them on making the deal,” he says. “You don’t need me to say this is one of the greatest catalogs of all time. There’s Bob Dylan, there’s the Beatles, and there are very few others that touch that rarified air.”

While the specifics on Dylan’s deal with UMPG remain unknown, sources previously told Rolling Stone that UMPG paid closer to $400 million than the $300 million other insiders have estimated. Such a high bid from Hipgnosis means two potential scenarios: Dylan either took less money from Universal for non-financial reasons, or Universal outbid Hipgnosis and Dylan’s payday exceeded $400 million.

Dylan’s sky-high deal isn’t atypical in the recent song acquisition market, where companies like Hipgnosis and Primary Wave have been driving up value with previously unheard-of financial offers. Los Angeles investment company Shamrock Capital reportedly paid $300 million to acquire Taylor Swift’s master recordings, while Primary Wave paid a reported $100 million for an 80% stake in Stevie Nicks‘ songwriting catalog. As one of the most prolific and ubiquitous American songwriters of all time, Dylan’s catalog is virtually unmatched in size. A rep for Dylan did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Meanwhile, over the course of the past 18 months, Mercuriadis has amassed the copyrights from artists, songwriters and producers on a notable collection of hits from “Don’t Stop Believin’,” to “Single Ladies” to “Uptown Funk.” Former Bon Jovi guitarist and songwriter Richie Sambora, Blondie’s Debbie Harry and Chris Stein, Barry Manilow and Blink-182 co-founder Tom DeLonge have all made deals with Hipgnosis this year.

Several sources have told Rolling Stone they expect Hipgnosis and other companies to close more deals in the coming weeks as songwriters and their teams look to finish deals before the end of the year. Some expect the Biden presidency to usher in a new capital gains ruling regardless of Democratic control of the Senate, which could cut into earnings from potential sales.

A year without touring — artists’ primary pre-pandemic moneymaker — has also significantly driven interest in these deals. As Mercuriadis told Rolling Stone in late April: “I can say I’ve never had more opportunities put in front of me,” he said. “We’re always picky; we’ll say no to three of the four that are presented to us, [but] we say yes to 100% of what we go after.”

DuranDuran;4312320 said:
by Ethan Millman | December 8, 2020 | Rolling Stone
bob-dylan-turned-down-400m.jpg

Prior to taking his deal with Universal Music Publishing Group, Bob Dylan turned down a $400 million bid from Merck Mercuriadis’s Hipgnosis Songs Fund, a source familiar to the situation tells Rolling Stone. It is believed Mercuriadis was the only other bidder for the catalog.

Mercuriadis declined to comment for the story beyond commending UMPG for its acquisition. “I congratulate them on making the deal,” he says. “You don’t need me to say this is one of the greatest catalogs of all time. There’s Bob Dylan, there’s the Beatles, and there are very few others that touch that rarified air.”

While the specifics on Dylan’s deal with UMPG remain unknown, sources previously told Rolling Stone that UMPG paid closer to $400 million than the $300 million other insiders have estimated. Such a high bid from Hipgnosis means two potential scenarios: Dylan either took less money from Universal for non-financial reasons, or Universal outbid Hipgnosis and Dylan’s payday exceeded $400 million.

Dylan’s sky-high deal isn’t atypical in the recent song acquisition market, where companies like Hipgnosis and Primary Wave have been driving up value with previously unheard-of financial offers. Los Angeles investment company Shamrock Capital reportedly paid $300 million to acquire Taylor Swift’s master recordings, while Primary Wave paid a reported $100 million for an 80% stake in Stevie Nicks‘ songwriting catalog. As one of the most prolific and ubiquitous American songwriters of all time, Dylan’s catalog is virtually unmatched in size. A rep for Dylan did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Meanwhile, over the course of the past 18 months, Mercuriadis has amassed the copyrights from artists, songwriters and producers on a notable collection of hits from “Don’t Stop Believin’,” to “Single Ladies” to “Uptown Funk.” Former Bon Jovi guitarist and songwriter Richie Sambora, Blondie’s Debbie Harry and Chris Stein, Barry Manilow and Blink-182 co-founder Tom DeLonge have all made deals with Hipgnosis this year.

Several sources have told Rolling Stone they expect Hipgnosis and other companies to close more deals in the coming weeks as songwriters and their teams look to finish deals before the end of the year. Some expect the Biden presidency to usher in a new capital gains ruling regardless of Democratic control of the Senate, which could cut into earnings from potential sales.

A year without touring — artists’ primary pre-pandemic moneymaker — has also significantly driven interest in these deals. As Mercuriadis told Rolling Stone in late April: “I can say I’ve never had more opportunities put in front of me,” he said. “We’re always picky; we’ll say no to three of the four that are presented to us, [but] we say yes to 100% of what we go after.”

Interesting. The concept of selling catalogues is obviously not as outlandish as some MJ fans believe it to be. Here we have Bob Dylan selling his OWN catalogue for around $330+ million. Many other artists have already sold either their entire catalogue/masters, etc. or a share of it. The MJ Estate did very well to sell the 50% share of the Sony/ATV catalogue back to Sony for $750 million, whilst still retaining ownership of all of Michael's music in the MIJAC catalogue.

Back