Random posting: Betty Wright - Pure Love

I think all of the soul/old R&B/funk fans have disappeared from the site. :p But Betty is classic. I wish she would work with Joss Stone again. I've never heard this one, but this is used in "Tonight Is The Night" live.

^^^^It's too bad it's been taken over by the top 40 rubbish brigade, lol.

When I read the title of the thread I thought it said Betty White (star of the Golden Girls as naive country bumpkin Rose) lol. Then I clicked the link and as soon as the singing started i realized my error lol. Thanks for posting it was very good.

As for older soul/funk/r&b, I like a lot of the pre-70s Stax stuff, particularly Otis Redding, Rufus Thomas, and Booker T and the MG's (not so much the later Isaac Hayes stuff). I also like older Motown a lot, most everything up until 1972 or so, and then just the Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye music, though there's some later gems in the catalog too. I guess the most 'funky/soulful' of the early Motown acts is Junior Walker and the All-Stars?

Unrelated but I guess since this thread has older soul/funk/r&b appreciators, here's a performance of Wilson Pickett doing "In the Midnight Hour." It's from the 70s and it's an uptempo version, w/ lots of horns, and Wilson has on a wild, open-chest shirt w/ billowing sleeves, and he's working his hips. The performance reminds me of Eddie Murphy/"Jimmy" from Dream Girls where the Berry Gordy character fires him, lol, maybe it was an inspiration :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHBCf5ioge0

by Evan Minsker May 10, 2020 Pitchfork
Betty-Wright.jpg

Betty Wright, the soul and R&B star, has died. Her niece confirmed the news, TMZ reports. In addition to recording hit singles that would be prominently sampled for years to come, Wright had a prolific career as a producer and background vocalist. She was 66.

Wright grew up singing in her family’s gospel group the Echoes of Joy. During her teenage years, she began a career as a background singer on other artists’ recordings, and she released her first singles as a solo artist in 1967. Her debut album My First Time Around was released by ATCO in 1968, and it featured her first top 40 hit single, “Girls Can’t Do What the Guys Do.”

“Clean Up Woman” is arguably her best known song. Released in 1972, it was widely sampled, most prominently by Mary J. Blige on “Real Love.” Her Grammy-winning song “Where Is the Love?” arrived in 1974, and her Stevie Wonder-produced single “What Are You Going to Do With It” came out in 1981. She recorded albums and singles steadily through the 1980s and into the 1990s.

As a background vocalist, she sang on records by Stevie Wonder, David Byrne, Peter Tosh, Gloria Estefan, Jimmy Cliff, Stephen Stills, Alice Cooper, and many others. Wright is also a featured singer on Erykah Badu’s 2000 album Mama’s Gun. In 2006, she served as a vocal coach to Danity Kane on Diddy’s reality show Making the Band.

Her voice also became a staple in the world of hip-hop; she made appearances on records by Diddy, Nas, Rick Ross, and the Game’s records. She sang the Rolling Stones melody on Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter III track “Playing With Fire.” In 2016, she collaborated with DJ Khaled, Kendrick Lamar, and Big Sean on the song “Holy Key.” Wright’s last album was Betty Wright: The Movie, which was a 2011 collaboration with the Roots.

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rest in power to a legend, Betty Wright. Our beloved aunty, mentor, and vocal coach &#10084;&#65039;&#128591;&#127997;She stood by me every step of the way. Taught us so much. She will be missed. <a href="https://t.co/QTcZYh7N0M">pic.twitter.com/QTcZYh7N0M</a></p>&mdash; Skip Marley (@SkipMarley) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkipMarley/status/1259568636177547264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>

Back