mike's friendship with paul: how did it begin?

staywithme

Proud Member
had mike always been a fan of the beatles or did he buy their back catalouge and then meet paul?

does anyone know how their friendship started and when they met ?

who taught mike how to buy other people's music?

In Michael's autobiography Moonwalk, he say's he first met Paul McCartney at a party on a boat in 1978 were Paul told Michael he had written a song called Girlfriend for him, and sang the song to Michael. I don't think they kept in close contact after that party. And by coincidence when Michael was recording Off The Wall, Quincy Jones brought Michael the song Girlfriend for Michael to record.

I'm not sure when Michael and Paul became close friends, but Michael did stay at Paul's house in sussex around early 1982, which is the photo used for the single The Girl Is Mine that was released the same year. The friendship between Michael and Paul ended in 1985 when Michael bought The Beatles songs. And as far as I'm aware the last time Michael and Paul met was backstage at one of Paul's concerts in 1989.

Michael has been a Beatles fan since he was a kid. I have a video of the Jackson 5 on American Bandstand from 1970 with Dick Clarke asking Michael as who his favorite artists are apart from Motown acts, and Michael said "The Beatles and Three Dog Night". Infact Jackie, Marlon and Jermaine all said The Beatles, except for Tito.

thanks for the info

- so why did he stop talking to him after he brought the beatles catalogue?
- and didn't paul show some unseen footage of him and mike in the studio during his world tour a few yrs ago?

publishing

who taught mike how to buy other people's music?
It was Paul. Paul said he told Mike about songs he had bought like Buddy Holly's and show tunes. The Beatles lost their publishing because they signed a bad record contract when they first started. That is common with new acts who are just off the street and know nothing about the music business and are just happy to be signed. I think that is how Paul became aware of song publishing himself after finding out about Lew Grade selling Northern Songs in the late 1960s, which is what The Beatles publishing was under. Northern Songs was not only Beatle songs though, but also other acts who wrote songs on Parlophone.

I wish they never met....had paul never told mj about that catalog (which in the end did not do a damn thing for mj) he wouldnt have never been in a position for everyone after it. I can only imagine the chain of events that wouldve occurred today but....who knows

It's really hurts me their relationship didn't workout well. they looked like best friends. sad to know their relationship ended all because an stupid catalog. i like beetles songs but it's hurts me that paul who claimed to be Michael friend and end it just because an stupid piece of paper. i know it probably hurt it that paul wanted to own the catalog after all the beetles songs are on there. but seriously? after all these years he still mad about it. wow. maybe paul should of never told him. though. Michael shouldn't had touch it. even if paul was joking with him i think mike took it seriously. oh boy. i like both of their music it's hurts that this happened. paul on the other hand need to stop talking bad about mj.

In Michael's autobiography Moonwalk, he say's he first met Paul McCartney at a party on a boat in 1978 were Paul told Michael he had written a song called Girlfriend for him, and sang the song to Michael. I don't think they kept in close contact after that party. And by coincidence when Michael was recording Off The Wall, Quincy Jones brought Michael the song Girlfriend for Michael to record.

Oh wow. i didn't know that was paul song. Michael did an excellent job singing the song. he sounded so happy doing so. that was very sweet of him. sad to know their friendship ended few years later over an stupid catalog.

I wish they never met....had paul never told mj about that catalog (which in the end did not do a damn thing for mj) he wouldnt have never been in a position for everyone after it. I can only imagine the chain of events that wouldve occurred today but....who knows
No Paul, then no Neverland since the land is where Say Say Say was filmed. Would he have continued to live with his parents at Hayvenhurst? Also the catalog was of some help financially when Mike wasn't doing much career wise.

No Paul, then no Neverland since the land is where Say Say Say was filmed. Would he have continued to live with his parents at Hayvenhurst? Also the catalog was of some help financially when Mike wasn't doing much career wise.
Being that he was barely even there & the song isn't Billie Jean or thriller.....& eventually he wouldve still moved. It wasn't worth it

Being that he was barely even there & the song isn't Billie Jean or thriller.....& eventually he wouldve still moved. It wasn't worth it
Mike's problems started with the accusations, which had nothing to do with the catalog or Paul. It was to do with a guy trying to extort money form Mike. So perhaps the Thriller album was the origin, since that is when he became really rich & famous and a target. If Thriller hadn't become the huge success it did, Mike wouldn't have had the money to buy the catalog or Neverland. How do you know if Mike wouldn't have gotten into song publishing without knowing Paul? Mike also knew Yoko Ono who was aware of the ATV catalog herself. She could have told him about it. Paul was trying to get Yoko to go half on it, partly because he did not want to be seen as owning John Lennon. Paul was also known as being cheap.

44454-119442721439733-100001220167324-117250-1588290-n.jpg

Paul shouldn't have told Michael about the catalogue, he couldn't buy it back, because it was too pricey for him and when Michael bought it with his own well earned $$$, it's obvious he wanted it back and became bitter sour about it and he would complain and b:censored:ing over and over again and kept on blaming Michael over it. Paul should should be blaming himself for it not Michael, well I have no respect for that Beatle anymore, I'll add him into my list and for what he said a few months back.

I honestly don't think that Michael needed paul on a musical level. 'billie jean' would have been a stronger lead single for 'thriller'. in fact, i'm convinced the album would have sold faster as a result. 'the girl is mine' was cute, but it was hardly ground breaking (not that every song needed to be). 'girlfriend'?? .. paul, along with eddie van halen and vincent price, may have been able to help Michael access spaces that certain gatekeepers previously prevented him from being in, but he was the nucleus, who more than paid his dues.

Here's a really interesting bit of information about Michael buying the Beatles catalogue: that actually saved Children's Television Workshop (creators of Sesame Street) from dealing with a huge legal battle. They had made spoofs of two Beatles songs (Hey Food and Letter B) to use on Sesame Street, and Paul was angry about this, but by the time it happened, MJ owned the songs (I think he had bought the catalogue during the time Paul was arguing with CTW about this), and he gave them the go ahead. I know this is just a trivial thing, but I find it super interesting nonetheless.

Back