7. Jackson 5 medley
  8. Rock with you
  9. This place is
  10. interlude
  11. Beat it
  12. Billie jean
  13. Thriller
  14. Shake your body down to the ground
This set list would have been better in my opinion,it would have been more of a family tour,had Janet and Latoya has opening acts,but then the show would have been long as hell,lol

my list would of been...

1.Wanna Be Startin Somethin
2.Things I Do For You
3.Off The Wall
4.Torture
5.Human Nature w/Ben Intro
6.Heartbreak Hotel
7.She's Out of My Life
8.Jermaine Jackson Medley
9.Jackson 5 Medley (I Want You Back,ABC,The Love You Save,Dancin Machine,Never Can Say Goodbye,I'll Be There)
10.Rock With You
11.Walk Right Now
12.Everybody
13.Lovely One
14.Thriller
15.Workin Day and Night
16.Beat It
17.Billie Jean
18.Shake Your Body

The Victory Tour was meant to be a tour for the Jackson 5, not just Michael. Keep that in mind.

The Victory Tour was meant to be a tour for the Jackson 5, not just Michael. Keep that in mind.
Going by that criteria, only J5/Jacksons songs should be performed then. When Genesis go on a tour, they only do Genesis songs, not Phil Collins or Mike & The Mechanics songs. The Police didn't do Sting songs on their reunion tour.

i woul have prefferd VICTORY songs as it's called the VICTORY tour lol. Songs like Torture, State of shock would have been fantastic to see live! Shame we never got to see these performed :( Does anyone know if the brothers ever rehearsed any Victory material?

My set-list; I picked about 17-18 songs based on the Jacksons picking about that many songs; in no particular order, just what came to my head:

Shake You Body
Things I Do for You
Can You Feel It
Blame It on the Boogie
I Want You Back/ABC
Never Can Say Goodbye
I'll Be There
Dancing Machine
Working Day and Night
Rock with You
State of Shock (w/ Jermaine, Randy, or guest subbing for Mick)
Beat It
Thriller
Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Human Nature
Walk Right Now
Lovely One

For anyone interested I looked up the original set-list (I hadn't even remembered it). From Wikipedia:

The set list included songs from the Jacksons albums Destiny and Triumph. Ironically the Victory album was not represented. There were also songs on the list from Jermaine's and Michael's solo careers. Michael's albums Off The Wall and Thriller were both represented.

It is worth noting that the set list did not include "Thriller" itself. Despite rumours suggesting Thriller was not included for spiritual reasons, Michael reportedly was not satisfied with the way the song sounded live. Eddie Van Halen joined Michael and his brothers onstage in Dallas, TX during the tour to perform his signature solo on the song "Beat It".

1. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
2. "Things I Do for You"
3. "Off the Wall"
4. "Human Nature" (with "Ben" introduction)
5. "This Place Hotel"
6. "She's out of My Life"
7. "Let's Get Serious" - Jermaine
8. "You Like Me, Don't You?" - Jermaine
9. "Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good to Be True)" - Duet with Jermaine and Michael
10. Jackson 5 Medley:
1. "I Want You Back"
2. "The Love You Save"
3. "I'll Be There"
11. "Rock with You"
12. "Lovely One"
13. Interlude
14. "Workin' Day and Night"
15. "Beat It"
16. "Billie Jean"
17. "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"

^^^^^In 1984 the song was still called "Heartbreak Hotel", not "This Place"

anyone actually know why they never performed songs from victory?

My setlist would have been as followed

1: Michael doing a solo tour

The end :)

Since I'm not really interested in just a "greatest hits" show, these are my picks (in no particular order):

I Am Love
Show You The Way To Go
We're Here To Entertain You
Destiny
The Mirrors Of My Mind
World Of Sunshine
All I Do Is Think Of You
Erucu (Jermaine)
I Can't Help It (Mike)
Body
Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming
Never Can Say Goodbye
Man Of War
Can You Feel It
Dancing Machine
Wait
Different Kind Of Lady
Torture
Wondering Who
Walk Right Now
Hum Along And Dance
Ebony Eyes (Stevie Wonder cover)
Too Hot (Kool & The Gang cover)
Please Pardon Me (Rufus & Chaka Khan cover)

i think im going with a Thriller Tour instead of a Victory Tour that includes no Victory Songs.

Thriller Tour '84

2.Things I Do For You
3.Off The Wall
4.Human Nature w/Ben Intro
5.Heartbreak Hotel
6.She's Out of My Life
7.Baby Be Mine/P.Y.T/Lady In My Life Medley
8.Jackson 5 Medley(I Want You Back/The Love You Save/I'll Be There)
9.Rock With You
10.I Can't Help It
11.Everybody
12.Lovely One
13.Workin Day and Night
14.Beat It
15.Billie Jean
16.Thriller

i think im going with a Thriller Tour instead of a Victory Tour that includes no Victory Songs.

Thriller Tour '84

2.Things I Do For You
3.Off The Wall
4.Human Nature w/Ben Intro
5.Heartbreak Hotel
6.She's Out of My Life
7.Baby Be Mine/P.Y.T/Lady In My Life Medley
8.Jackson 5 Medley(I Want You Back/The Love You Save/I'll Be There)
9.Rock With You
10.I Can't Help It
11.Everybody
12.Lovely One
13.Workin Day and Night
14.Beat It
15.Billie Jean
16.Thriller

Yea i wish MJ would have did a solo tour in 85

Yea I wish Michael Could have done Thriller solo tour as well,I think that would have 'helped' a bit of 'something' for him. But I also like the Family Victory and can see why the family wanted it to be done... Too bad both couldnt've been done but even Michael could never done that unless he split the time in half Victory half year then Thriller next half.. I dunno' I just feel Mike should have gotten to get that Thriller solo out his system.

Last edited:
I don't get why people want a solo tour. I like the Jacksons concerts better than the Michael solo ones. To me the brothers have a chemistry that isn't there with just anonymous background dancers and singers. Bad tour was great (because it pretty much has the same setlist as the brothers' tours), but the rest have boring stuff like "Heal The World" that drags the show down. Also I'm not a fan of lip-syncing in a "live" show at all. I rather hear singing. I can watch the videos if I want to see dancing, if that's the problem.

I don't get why people want a solo tour. I like the Jacksons concerts better than the Michael solo ones. To me the brothers have a chemistry that isn't there with just anonymous background dancers and singers. Bad tour was great (because it pretty much has the same setlist as the brothers' tours), but the rest have boring stuff like "Heal The World" that drags the show down. Also I'm not a fan of lip-syncing in a "live" show at all. I rather hear singing. I can watch the videos if I want to see dancing, if that's the problem.

Do you like Michael Jackson as a solo artist at all?

Do you like Michael Jackson as a solo artist at all?
Sure, but I like the Quincy era the best. I didn't grow up with Milli Vanilli type acts, which is when all the lip-syncing concerts came about. Dancing, pyro, light shows, giant pigs, etc. is nice to have but is secondary. If both can't be done at the same time, then the music is the most important. I like "Heal The World" as a song, but to me it doesn't work in a concert setting and neither does "Thriller".

Bad tour was great (because it pretty much has the same setlist as the brothers' tours)

The Victory Tour had more or less the same set-list as the first leg of the Bad Tour.The reason it contained mostly Michael songs was because MJ only done the tour on his terms.MJ wanted to do his own thing at that stage but the family used his Mother to talk MJ into touring with the brothers but the only way MJ would do it was on his terms,i.e-the set-list,choreography & stage design.MJ was involved in all those aspects & had his own film crew film the shows.In essence Victory is more of an MJ tour with his brothers as his backing band.

The set-list for the 2nd leg Bad Tour was much different.Well it included seven new Michael songs.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
This Place Hotel"
Another Part of Me"
I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (Duet with backup vocalist Sheryl Crow)
She's out of My Life"
Jackson 5 Medley"I Want You Back"The Love You Save"I'll Be There"
Rock with You"
Human Nature"
Smooth Criminal"
Dirty Diana"
Thriller"
Workin' Day and Night"
Beat It"
Billie Jean"
Bad"
The Way You Make Me Feel" (Encore)
Man in the Mirror"

Sure, but I like the Quincy era the best. I didn't grow up with Milli Vanilli type acts, which is when all the lip-syncing concerts came about. Dancing, pyro, light shows, giant pigs, etc. is nice to have but is secondary. If both can't be done at the same time, then the music is the most important. I like "Heal The World" as a song, but to me it doesn't work in a concert setting and neither does "Thriller".

i didn't really grow up with lip syncing acts either i was born in 1977 so i have both sides
70's---80's--90's
I adore Michael early on. but I see Michael as a whole in his art.

I couldn't have said it better. I always laugh at the dancers Michael brought in on the solo tours because they look so lame next to the brothers. I hate lip synching too. Bad was still pretty solid.

My tastes really go from the early fifties to the mid seventies. The Jacksons are more or less one of the newest groups I like. I am 33 so it's just my taste not what I was around for. I do like some of Michael's later stuff but it's like all the act I follow I like the vintage stuff best.

Back