Marvin Gaye

DuranDuran

Proud Member
I found this interview with Marvin and his father, Marvin Sr. I don't know what it was for, but it's kinda interesting. I know that they never had a great relationship with each other. Marvin Jr. didn't really understand his father who was a preacher that tended to crossdress.

Last edited:
Poor Marvin was so affected by his father :( I hope Marvins is at peace now.
It's kinda ironic that Marvin Sr doesn't want his son to get hurt playing football, considering what happens in 1984. Also in this interview, Marvin Jr. never really looks at his father.

Read Marvin's biography by David Ritz called "Divided Soul." Its a great read.

I finished it in a week and I'm not much of a reader.

[youtube]wae7Z_LjEPk[/youtube]
[youtube]2AJiviegg2A[/youtube]

Thanks, I love this song :)

obviously the main inspiration behind Snoop Dogg's "Sexual Eruption".
I'm surprised that this got lots of radio play when it was released, when you can clearly hear Marvin say the P word several times. The only thing that was bleeped out was the F word in the 2nd verse, and sometimes they didn't even bother with that, lol.

I'm surprised that this got lots of radio play when it was released, when you can clearly hear Marvin say the P word several times. The only thing that was bleeped out was the F word in the 2nd verse, and sometimes they didn't even bother with that, lol.

Lol, yeah. Radios are very selective sometimes, aren't they? haha
I think it was mostly due to the fact it was a posthumous release. And a good, catchy track too, I have to admit.

Oh and I just wanted to say a BIG thank you for posting all these songs, it might seem to you they all go unnoticed, becuase most of the time nobody replies... but to me it's a great lesson of music. Sometimes I get to remember songs/artist I've totally forgotten about. Sometimes I get to hear new stuff and it's great.

Keep them coming!
Thank you!

Lol, yeah. Radios are very selective sometimes, aren't they? haha
I think it was mostly due to the fact it was a posthumous release. And a good, catchy track too, I have to admit.

Oh and I just wanted to say a BIG thank you for posting all these songs, it might seem to you they all go unnoticed, becuase most of the time nobody replies... but to me it's a great lesson of music. Sometimes I get to remember songs/artist I've totally forgotten about. Sometimes I get to hear new stuff and it's great.

Keep them coming!
Thank you!
I remember they used to play Prince's Erotic City on the radio. Most of the time, it was the edited clean version. But sometimes the original mix with the profanity would get played, usually on the weekends. But this was in the 1980s, it was a way more conservative time in general than now. Most music didn't have cursing.

gaye_marvin_troublema_103b.jpg

At long last, Trouble Man.
With the upcoming 40[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary edition of Marvin Gayeā€™s 1972 album currently slated for November 13 release, each one of the Motown legendā€™s studio albums between 1971ā€™s seminal Whatā€™s Going On and 1982ā€™s Midnight Love has been expanded as a 2-CD set. (In the case of Whatā€™s Going On, an even more deluxe edition was released in 2011.) Trouble Man, the soundtrack to the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Century Fox ā€œblaxploitationā€ film, turned out to be Gayeā€™s only excursion into movie scoring. It followed the enormous success of Whatā€™s Going On and earned Gaye a No. 12 Pop/No. 3 R&B chart placement, proving that he could hold his own against the other soul stars-turned-film composers such as Isaac Hayes and Curtis Mayfield ā€“ as if there was ever any doubt.

A largely instrumental, soul/jazz soundtrack might not have been the most expected move for Gaye in 1972. But after emerging triumphant in his hard-won battle for creative control, and with a hefty contract in tow, Gaye was free to follow his muse. Trouble Man, the film, starred Robert Hooks, whose credits range from A Raisin in the Sun on Broadway to Star Trek III: The Search for Spock on the silver screen. Hooksā€™ ā€œMr. Tā€ is a private detective whoā€™s not afraid to take the law into his own hands even as he becomes embroiled in a power play between rival crime lords. Paul Winfield (Sounder, The Terminator) and Ralph Waite (The Waltons) joined Hooks as two of those gangland figures, while Paula Kelly (Sweet Charity, The Andromeda Strain) portrayed Tā€™s love interest. Gaye might have identified with T, crafting much of his score around the character with compositions like ā€œT Plays It Cool,ā€ ā€œT Stands for Trouble,ā€ ā€œDonā€™t Mess with Mister Tā€ and ā€œThere Goes Mister T.ā€ Gaye recorded the Trouble Man album at Motownā€™s Los Angeles Hitsville West outpost, with his score arranged by such esteemed personnel as Jack Hayes, Leo Shuken and Gene Page.

Critics werenā€™t kind to the film Trouble Man; in The New York Times, Vincent Canby noted that ā€œitā€™s not a bad filmā€ but ā€œrepresents such a peculiar collaboration of interests that it should be of concern to both black and white film sociologists. Also, it dramatizes such a wild confusion of values, Iā€™m not sure it wants to be described as cool or uppity.ā€ Yet Gaye remained rightly proud of his score, which melded funk, jazz, soul and orchestral writing into a seamless and often stunning whole. Hip-o Selectā€™s 2-CD expansion of the 1972 Trouble Man album should go a long way in furthering even a diehard fanā€™s appreciation of Gayeā€™s multi-layered score. The remastered original LP will be joined by 29 previously unreleased recordings including alternate takes and for the first time anywhere, the original film soundtrack performances as actually heard in the movie.
What else will you find? Hit the jump! Weā€™ve also got a full track listing and pre-order links!

Trouble Man: 40[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary Expanded Edition is housed in a digipak which include a generous, 28-page booklet with photo outtakes, rare international picture sleeves, an essay by Dr. Andrew Floray, and track-by-track annotations. Sidebar and additional essays include commentary from film directors Cameron Crowe and George Tillman, Jr., as well as an array of artists including Lenny Kravitz, Joni Mitchell and Christian McBride.
The 2-CD Trouble Man is available for pre-order now at Hip-o Selectā€™s website, with a ship date of November 9. It should arrive at Amazon just a few days later, on November 13, and can be pre-ordered at the link below!
Marvin Gaye, Trouble Man: 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition (Hip-o Select, 2012)

CD 1

1. Main Theme From Trouble Man (2)
  2. ā€œTā€ Plays It Cool
  3. Poor Abbey Walsh
  4. The Break In (Police Shoot Big)
  5. Cleoā€™s Apartment
  6. Trouble Man
  7. Theme From Trouble Man
  8. ā€œTā€ Stands For Trouble
  9. Main Theme From Trouble Man
  10. Life Is A Gamble
  11. Deep-In-It
  12. Donā€™t Mess With Mr. T
  13. There Goes Mr. T
  14. Main Theme From Trouble Man (2) [alternate take with strings]
  15. ā€œTā€ Plays it Cool [unedited version]
  16. Poor Abbey Walsh, Part 2 Take 1
  17. Poor Abbey Walsh, Part 2 Take 2
  18. Trouble Man [extended version]
  19. Theme From Trouble Man [vocal version]
  20. ā€œTā€ Stands for Trouble [unedited vocal version]
  21. ā€œTā€ Stands for Trouble [alternate version]
  22. Main Theme from Trouble Man [vocal version]
CD 2

1. Trouble Man
  2. Pool Hall
  3. ā€œTā€ Plays It Cool
  4. Cadillac Interlude/Cleoā€™s Apartment
  5. Man Tied Up/Jimmyā€™s West/Conversation with Cleo
  6. Crap Game (a.k.a. The Break In)/Getting Rid Of Body/Talking To Angel
  7. Outside Police Station
  8. Bowling Alley Parking Lot
  9. Stick Up
  10. Cleaners/Cleo
  11. Closing Jimmyā€™s
  12. Police Break In
  13. ā€œTā€ Cleans Up/Police Station
  14. Packing Up/Jimmy Gets Worked/Saying Goodbye/ā€Tā€ Breaks In/MovieTheater
  15. Car Ride/Looking for Pete
  16. Parking Garage/Elevator
  17. Penthouse
  18. Getting Pete
  19. My Name Is ā€œTā€/End Credits
  20. ā€œTā€ At The Cross

CD 1, Tracks 1-13: Original LP (Tamla T 322 L, 1972)
CD 1, Tracks 14-22: Previously Unreleased Bonus Tracks
CD 2, Tracks 1-19: Previously Unreleased Original Film Score
CD 2, Track 20: Previously Unreleased Film Band Bonus Track

Leo Barraclough, July 12, 2016 Variety
marvin-gaye-mono.jpg

Noah Media Group and Greenlight are developing a documentary movie about the life of soul musician Marvin Gaye.ā€œMarvin, Whatā€™s Going On?ā€ centers on Gayeā€™s creation of his seminal 1971 album ā€œWhatā€™s Going Onā€ and marks the first time that his children ā€” Nona, Marvin III and Frankie Gaye ā€” along with his former wife, Janis Gaye, have supported and contributed to such a project.

The film, slated to go into production this year, will be ā€œthe defining portrait of this visionary artist and his impeccable album,ā€ according to a statement from the filmā€™s producers.

The album, which was recorded at the height of Detroitā€™s Motown era, was set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War and the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. Gaye produced an album that ā€œchallenged America and the world to self-reflect, going on to inspire a generation of artists and music lovers,ā€ the producers said. ā€œThe relevance of [his] masterpieceā€¦is as strong as ever.ā€

Gabriel Clarke and Torquil Jones will co-direct, with their Noah Media Group partners John McKenna and Victoria Barrell producing, who together made up the team behind documentary movie ā€œSteve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans.ā€ The film will be produced in conjunction with Greenlight, part of Branded Entertainment Network, which represents the personality rights and trademarks of Marvin Gaye.

The documentary is to be filmed on location in Detroit, Los Angeles and Washington, and will feature exclusive interviews with some of Motownā€™s top stars and never-before-seen archive footage unearthed by Gayeā€™s children and former wife. The film is set to be released next year.

Gayeā€™s children said in a joint statement: ā€œWe would like to express our excitement about the upcoming documentary feature film about our father and the creation of his amazing ā€˜Whatā€™s Going Onā€™ album. We are proud that his relevance remains intact, and we look forward to being a part of this cinematic journey.

ā€œOur father was complex, but we are confident that with Noah Media Groupā€™s attention to detail and their dedication to the truth, the positive, inspirational and aspirational aspects of his life will be handled and shared with the world in a way never seen before.

ā€œWe look forward to participating and sharing what we can through friends, family, photos, footage and priceless stories that only those who knew our father up close and personal would know, as well as his contemporaries, purists and fans who have studied him and his art over decades.

ā€œā€™Whatā€™s Going On?ā€™ā€¦something many of us find ourselves asking today, 45 years later. Peace.ā€

Lloyd Winston of Greenlight said: ā€œWe are honored to have the opportunity to extend the legacy of Marvin Gaye through this film and to inspire a whole new audience with this story. Noah Media Group has a proven track record for exploring moments in history through fascinating characters and we look forward to taking this journey with them.ā€

Noah Media Group said: ā€œIt is an honor to work with Nona, Marvin III, Frankie and Jan Gaye to tell such an important and timely story about an individual who used his unique musical gift to impact not only his generation, but generations to follow.ā€

I've never been in this thread but I'll share an interesting fact.. My Aunt dated Marvin Gaye for a short time! Met him while he was touring and they were together for a bit, I forget why they split.. She was telling me the story again a couple years ago when I asked about it but she was a bit timid about it cuz her husband walked in and he gets a little jealous lol!

^ I'd have to ask, all I know is he was famous already (ie met while he toured), and he was a decent amount older than her so he must have been in his late 30's and her early 20's.. The couple pics I've seen of them together, he looked like the Marvin Gaye we all know, my aunt looked pretty young.. I am not sure what year, I'll have to ask her, or ask my mom to ask her..

I remember for whatever reason at first she wasn't really impressed by his celebrity but liked him... I think a part of that was my grandparents. well grandpa was someone of a big shot in Wisconsin and she didn't want to make him mad... You have a 30+ yr old celeb asking you to come here, do that.. She was like, "no"..

She didn't say it was cuz of grandpa but I'm sure it played a role..

What's Going On is a masterpiece and changed Motown from a predominately singles oriented label to one that took more of an interest in creating real albums. Great album. Got the Anniversay Edition years ago that came with the original album mix and a second disc with a concert. Superb stuff.

I'm glad his music lives on and still inspires today. Makes you think and makes you dance too.
Marvin: His social consciousness was moving. Prolific.

my grandmother used love some marvin gaye. his story is so sad. i really hope he's now at peace.

I've never been in this thread but I'll share an interesting fact.. My Aunt dated Marvin Gaye for a short time! Met him while he was touring and they were together for a bit, I forget why they split.. She was telling me the story again a couple years ago when I asked about it but she was a bit timid about it cuz her husband walked in and he gets a little jealous lol!

LOL! that's awesome!

What's Going On / What's Happening Brother

This is from the 1973 Save The Children movie

"Although Motownā€™s records on which Funk Brothers played which songs were notoriously haphazard, there are a few verifiable cases of Gaye playing the drums. Some of those songs were hidden gems, and some of them were major hits for Motown. Weā€™re picking out five of Gayeā€™s most memorable drum performances during his time in the Funk Brothers to highlight how Marvin Gaye was much more than just a revolutionary singer."

šŸ˜²

@filmandmusic @Agonum FYI

Last edited:
šŸ˜²

@filmandmusic @Agonum FYI

Yess!! It was on the news here, there are some real gems among them according to the guy who found them. They even played a bit of a song, it is really a treasure, I donā€™t understand why it was kept hidden for all these decades.

Longer version of the story about the 66 cassette tapes.

"For a time he lived in the home of a Belgian musician, Charles Dumolin. The collection of stage costumes, notebooks and tape cassettes is now in the hands of Charles' family.

But now the BBC can disclose the intriguing possibility that Marvin may have recorded previously unheard new music in the same period, which has lain hidden in Belgium for more than forty years.

Belgian lawyer Alex Trappeniers, who's a business partner of the family who lay claim to the material, is in no doubt that the fate of a hugely valuable collection of stage costumes, notebooks and never-before heard music is about to be decided."

Back