Michael's vitiligo and the 'In the Closet' desert shoot

Agent M

Proud Member
One thing that I noticed in watching behind-the-scenes footage of the In the Closet video shoot was the blazing sun of the location. I am assuming most of it was shot on location, that certainly was the impression given in Dangerous The Short Films, and not on a sound stage.

The heat and blazing sun must have been difficult for Michael to endure, especially given that he is a vitiligo sufferer being treated with Benoquin who could not cover up as much as he was usually wont to do. Vitiligo suffererers under this treatment are very sensitive to the sun.

Am I correct in assuming that it was a sacrifice that he and the late Herb Ritts (the director) decided was mandatory? Was there any other scenario for the video under consideration, as was the case for Smooth Criminal , which Michael initially conceived of as a Western (see Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies).

P.S. I think Michael looked his best in this video, in terms of his physique. I wish he could have kept it permanently. He looked so healthy and fit.

One thing that I noticed in watching behind-the-scenes footage of the In the Closet video shoot was the blazing sun of the location. I am assuming most of it was shot on location, that certainly was the impression given in Dangerous The Short Films, and not on a sound stage.

The heat and blazing sun must have been difficult for Michael to endure, especially given that he is a vitiligo sufferer being treated with Benoquin who could not cover up as much as he was usually wont to do. Vitiligo suffererers under this treatment are very sensitive to the sun.

Am I correct in assuming that it was a sacrifice that he and the late Herb Ritts (the director) decided was mandatory? Was there any other scenario for the video under consideration, as was the case for Smooth Criminal , which Michael initially conceived of as a Western (see Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies).

P.S. I think Michael looked his best in this video, in terms of his physique. I wish he could have kept it permanently. He looked so healthy and fit.

Well I think it looks as though he would cover up and then take it off to film scenes and then cover up again. Im not too sure though. Thats a very good question though. Ive allways wondered this and was going to ask about it, but would allways forget by the time I came online.

He had in unbrella in the behind the scenes footage on Dangerous The Short Films.

Could he be wearing really high SPF sun screen for the moments that he's uncovered?
It's not as good as not being in the sun at all but I guess it's better than nothing.

Well I think it looks as though he would cover up and then take it off to film scenes and then cover up again. Im not too sure though. Thats a very good question though. Ive allways wondered this and was going to ask about it, but would allways forget by the time I came online.

He had in unbrella in the behind the scenes footage on Dangerous The Short Films.

Could he be wearing really high SPF sun screen for the moments that he's uncovered? It's not as good as not being in the sun at all but I guess it's better than nothing.

Yes, I am pretty sure all your reasons explain it. I just think he made a great sacrifice for his art to film in that location, given his condition. Even with the sunscreen and makeup, the umbrella, and the careful timing of the filming, he was still putting himself at great risk. But the artisitic result was worth it. In the Closet is a very impressive short film.

It was getting bad but it wasn't as advanced as it would get by the 1992 tour.

Back