Ideal Tribute Show

sugarbunny891

Proud Member
There seems to be alot of dissappointing negativity on the way fans feel the family have handled the memorial/funeral and up and coming tribute concert. For those that have seen Lee Evans Live/dvd it reminds of the sketch where he is talking about football fans how they always shout at the football player. Please watch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yX4...35BDB2945&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Most of the fans here seem to think Jermaine has organised a disaster. On that note if the family said "ok fans you seem to know what Michael would want more than us.....you organise something"

What would you do.........?

I ask this as everyone is slating Jermaine but not saying how they would like to see things.

Great thread!!!! I'm one of those criticising Jermaine & the whole Tribute 2009.
Firstly & Mainly:
1. All proceeds should go to charity. It's what Mike would have wanted. They could cover operational costs through sponsorship & TV rights.
2. Like other events such as the Diana tribute & Live 8, tickets should be free and allocated on a lottery basis. Or at the very least much MUCH cheaper.
3. The line-up should be announced before the tickets are sold and the site should not be about anyone else but Mike.
4. The event should promote & champion Mike's chosen charities.
5. Some of the artists that influenced Mike should perform (not just those that have been influenced by them).
6. Fans shpuld be more involved in the event. I.e. invited to submit ideas for songs to be performed, or send in photos/pictures/messages to be displayed at the event or on a big screen like in Live 8.
7. Location doesn't matter as long as EVERYONE has a view - not just of a castle & not be able to see the stage.

That's just a few points

Oh, and they should have waited for him to at least be buried before announcing & organising a tribute. Whether or not it was the intention, it comes across quite distasteful to many people. Let the dust settle and the grieving to be over and then we can celebrate his life.
I truly believe Mike would be so disappointed over the ticket prices. Remember how he stood up to his brothers to stop fans getting ripped off for the Victory tour. They all wanted fans to be forced to buy blocks of 4 tix and he was disgusted at fans being ripped off and fought to have it changed.

Last edited:
1. Agreed, and not the fake bogus Earth Cares. Should've all gone to UNICEF.

2. Also correct - tickets should've been lower. MUCH lower.

3. YES! Who the heck announces a show without contracting the talent - and then the worst part is having a disclaimer saying that no refunds will be given if artists do not perform, WTF is that about?

4. Yep, like UNICEF

5. Agreed, like the O'Jays, some of the Motown legends, Stevie Wonder, etc.

6. Agree with that one too. A more interactive experience would be more heartwarming and unifying.

7. If the stage is right in the middle (like Britney's Circus tour) then that would work. It all depends.

Great thread!!!! I'm one of those criticising Jermaine & the whole Tribute 2009.
Firstly & Mainly:
1. All proceeds should go to charity. It's what Mike would have wanted. They could cover operational costs through sponsorship & TV rights.
2. Like other events such as the Diana tribute & Live 8, tickets should be free and allocated on a lottery basis. Or at the very least much MUCH cheaper.
3. The line-up should be announced before the tickets are sold and the site should not be about anyone else but Mike.
5. Some of the artists that influenced Mike should perform (not just those that have been influenced by them).
6. Fans shpuld be more involved in the event. I.e. invited to submit ideas for songs to be performed, or send in photos/pictures/messages to be displayed at the event or on a big screen like in Live 8.
7. Location doesn't matter as long as EVERYONE has a view - not just of a castle & not be able to see the stage.

That's just a few points

:agree:

:clapping:

Oh, and they should have waited for him to at least be buried before announcing & organising a tribute. Whether or not it was the intention, it comes across quite distasteful to many people. Let the dust settle and the grieving to be over and then we can celebrate his life.

I agree with most point contributed in the posts above and would like to add i would choose a location such as Paris, London, NY or LA... (or mayby i would do 2 shows, 1 in the US and 1 in Europe).

Firstly & Mainly:

6. Fans shpuld be more involved in the event. I.e. invited to submit ideas for songs to be performed, or send in photos/pictures/messages to be displayed at the event or on a big screen like in Live

That's just a few points

Just picking at nits here. :)

2.A lottery basis!!! Could you imagine the up roar from fans if this happened!! Jeeess not even worth thinking about :p

3.Why should it be announced? Its about Mike not other artists ;)

5.Is there many left?

6. How do you know this is not already being planned for Vienna ;)

7. Is there anywhere big wnough?

They definitely should give the line up.
If I thought U2, Stevie etc were playing I may have gone because they have the talent to do him justice.
If it's going to be Peter Andre and the Muppets, I'm not sure it warrants £200 +. I dont think I want to watch them murder MJ's music!

I truly believe Mike would be so disappointed over the ticket prices. Remember how he stood up to his brothers to stop fans getting ripped off for the Victory tour. They all wanted fans to be forced to buy blocks of 4 tix and he was disgusted at fans being ripped off and fought to have it changed.

bloody well said lol

Firstly & Mainly:

That's just a few points

Well said. I do not want to or like to criticise the family because I feel MJ's passing has come as a genuine shock to them, and to all intents and purposes they are all over the place it seems, but still trying to do their best, however, youhave made some very valid points.

The price of the tickets especially should not be more than the average person can afford. We are in a difficult fianancial climate and they should respect this. I'm sure that the cost is partly to do with the performers as maybe not all of them will perform for free; it would be a lovely gesture if they could donate their fees to MJ's charities; I think the fans would welcome that.

it would be a lovely gesture if they could donate their fees to MJ's charities; I think the fans would welcome that.

Unfortunately they are not. They are benefiting Larry Jones, Larry King and Jermain Jackson charities.

If all the proceeds were to go to UNICEF, or a publican known charity that Michael supported, then I would be more positive about this.

Since this is more of an 'dreamlike' thread, I'll move it to a more appropriate place

So I haven't been keeping up with Jermaine's concert project...because it isn't anywhere near where I live. I frankly could not careless about it actually because there are no chances of me going.

I don't understand why there can't be a tribute concert in Europe and in the United States? I know that they are expensive and everything...but I still feel like we are being left out in a way....IDK.

If I could design a tribute for Michael, it would be unlike anything that has been discussed previously. It would be very fan based, very spiritual. No one would be singing or dancing to Mike's music, because no one can do it like Mike. I feel like at a 'tribute' to him...why should anyone else get to perform his music, his life? (I do approve of Janet though...she is the only one even close to being on the same level as Mike)

I think that a perfect tribute to Michael would be tributes that can take place all over the world. Where fans get together and listen to Michael's music, watch videos together, read their writings, share their artwork. They get together to celebrate Michael's life and his profession. They could also maybe do a walk or something to earn money to donate to his charities.

I don't know...I guess I can't get excited about a concert 'in tribute' to Michael if Michael won't be there... :( It needs to be about the fans and his legacy...not about the money that can go in to the producers pocket or the fame that other people can gain from Michael's name ...

Back