Exclusive: La Toya Jackson Opens Up on Family's Grief, Future

sumadiner

Proud Member
La Toya Tells Barbara Walters: Michael Laid to Rest in 'Full Makeup,' With Iconic White Glove in Casket

In her first in-depth interview since the death of her brother Michael Jackson, La Toya Jackson opened up exclusively to Barbara Walters about the family's grief.
"I don't think we'll find a person as talented, a person who thought the way he thought. A person with the heart that Michael had," La Toya, 53, told Walters. "People aren't that way anymore. He was special. He wasn't God, but he was certainly God-like. He was the closest thing to a god that I knew."
La Toya, one of Michael's closest siblings, was one of the first one to appear at her brother's bedside the day he died. Since then, the solo artist and model signed her brother's death certificate, became the legal guardian of his body and with the entire Jackson family, planned the funeral and memorial service in Los Angeles.

Michael was laid to rest in a private ceremony last week, nearly two months after his death, at the iconic Forest Lawn cemetery in Glendale, Calif. La Toya told Walters that her brother looked "absolutely fabulous."
"He was dressed in all white pearl beads going across, draped across. A beautiful big gold belt. Like ... Like a belt that you win being a boxer," she said. "Full makeup. ... His hair was done beautifully, his makeup was done beautifully."
According to La Toya, in addition to the stones Paris placed on his chest, the family put sunglasses, an iconic white glove and a few other items in the casket with him.

La Toya: Dr. Conrad Murray Summoned Michael's Oldest Son to Death Bed

According to the autopsy, the late King of Pop died of a fatal combination of drugs, including the powerful anesthetic propofol. Dr. Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's personal physician has admitted administering propofol, but has denied giving Michael anything that "should have killed him."
Murray told investigators that he had been trying to wean the singer off propofol by administering a series of other prescription sedatives. When asked by Walters if Murray murdered her brother, La Toya said, "Something went wrong. Something went wrong."
La Toya also addressed reports that Michael's oldest son, Prince, was summoned by Murray the night of his father's death to help resuscitate his father.
"He called Prince ... Prince ... watched him do this, Barbara. And you don't do that to a child. You don't do that to a child, especially when you knew prior to asking that child to come up, that Michael was no longer alive," she said.
La Toya stressed that she believes Michael was dead long before Murray even called for Prince -- but called the 13-year-old in, to "show that [he] had nothing to do with this."

Since Michael's death, the Los Angeles County Coroner's office ruled the manner of death a homicide. The Los Angeles Police Department is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding his death. Murray, as well as other doctors known to have prescribed narcotics to Michael, have been questioned.
"I blame any and everybody who was instrumental in Michael's life providing him with drugs because it was wrong. It was terribly wrong," said La Toya. "They're doctors! This is going against their license, Barbara. You don't do things like that."

La Toya: Blanket 'Looks Hispanic'

From the day each of Michael Jackson's three children was born, the identity of their biological father has been questioned.
"It doesn't really matter, those are Michael's kids. He raised those kids," La Toya said. "They were in his arms when they were born; the minute that they were they were right there with him. They only know Michael as their father."

Michael married the mother of his two oldest children, Debbie Rowe, but she has had almost no contact with the children for nearly a decade.
"They know who Debbie Rowe is. Whether or not they know she's their mother, I'm not so sure," La Toya said. "They haven't seen her since he's passed. But they're more than welcome."
Blanket, Michael's youngest child, was born to an unnamed surrogate after Jackson and Rowe divorced. La Toya said that Michael had told her that Blanket is Hispanic.
"I said to Michael, I said, 'He looks Hispanic.' And Michael said, 'He is,'" La Toya told Walters.

Future for the Jackson Children

In his will, Michael named his mother, Katherine Jackson, 79, as their sole guardian, and in July 2009, she was granted full, permanent custody of the three children. La Toya said that they will continue to be home-schooled, "just the way they were with their dad."
La Toya also talked to Walters about how the kids are coping with the grief.
Silencing rumors that Michael did not want the children around his father, Joe Jackson, La Toya said Michael had made amends with his father and that the kids had a good relationship with their grandfather.
"They love their grandfather," she said. "They ... like the fact that he's very outspoken. And they say that, 'Grandpa, he tells you like it is.'"
Despite the past, she believes Michael would have wanted Joe to be involved in their lives.

Will Diana Ross Raise Michael's Children?

Michael never revealed why, but his will states that if his 79-year-old mother ever becomes unable to care for the children, he wants them to be raised by Diana Ross, 65.

"I know of course that Diana Ross is second in line for the children of course, and mother has spoken to her about things of that nature, but I don't wish to go into detail," La Toya told Walters.
La Toya said that the children don't have a relationship with Ross, or know that she might possibly be the woman raising them. When asked if Ross wants to raise Michael's three children, La Toya responded: "I think my mother knows the answer to that."
Why Michael preferred Diana Ross over his own eight siblings to care for his children was not explained in the will; sister Reebie, who has three children of her own, and has been married for 41 years, could be a candidate to raise the children in the event that their mother is incapacitated.
"There's a possibility. There's a possibility," La Toya said, "She's done a wonderful job with her children."
La Toya asked ABC News to make it known that she was not paid for this interview.
Watch Barbara Walters's exclusive interview with La Toya on "20/20" Friday at 10 p.m. ET

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Mich...ckson-barbara-walters/Story?id=8529898&page=3

prince didn't go up the stairs, the chef said he never went up.. and he's not 13, shut up latoya.

:sigh: going back to read Janet's interview again....

I really don't know what to make of Latoya. I don't like most of her answers in this interview for sure. :( Prince didn't go upstairs (according to the chef). And her replies will raise speculation again over the childrens parentage.

I really don't know what to make of Latoya. I don't like most of her answers in this interview for sure. :( Prince didn't go upstairs (according to the chef). And her replies will raise speculation again over the childrens parentage.

That's why I think the family should not talk about things especially when it concerns Michael or his children, well at least until everything settles down. They only make things confusing...

Latoya - shut up and sit down!

For real! Look how she even told ABC to say that she did not receive compensation.

Sure not in the USA, but outside the USA ???

I don't get why everyone hates La Toya. I really don't, but I'll definitely be watching tomorrow night. thanks for posting.

yeesh on this one.

ok so she doesn't know if the kids know who deb is...yet she's seen them after mj passed but she says they haven't. she says prince went upstairs,kai said he didnt....he's 12 not 13....and um.....

she does know that unfortunately and god forbid, if somethinghappens to katherine, the custody thing goes BACK to court....?

u can't just pass it down the line the way u want it to. debbie has to agree, again, or she may decide to take the chidlren. diana ross didn't go to the memorial nor did she go to the family funeral...she DID however,go to taco bell. priorities much?

i love toy, but just like shiitty...yvonne sux at interviews. i don't even want to imagine the view next week.

You see, this is why I wish LaToya would just sush!

Stop talking about Michael's kids and adding to the speculation, geez......

this family need to get they stories straight!

one says intervention. another says no knowledge of pill usage...it's too confusing for me.

one says kids this one says kids that.

one says debbie rowe this one says debbie rowe that...honestly....can we sit together and take notes, study, and then say the same thing?

I just think this kind of tell-all is in poor taste.
I was happy with Janet for keeping so quiet on her brother. Hopefully her Bazaar interview won't be like this.

She seems like one of the only ones not trying to exploit Michael's death at this point.

I don't really know what to think about LaToya...:(

Janet's interview is floating around somewhere in this forum - it's WONDERFUL.

I just think this kind of tell-all is in poor taste.
I was happy with Janet for keeping so quiet on her brother. Hopefully her Bazaar interview won't be like this.

She seems like one of the only ones not trying to exploit Michael's death at this point.

I don't really know what to think about LaToya...:(

her bazaar interview has been posted, sparrow

and it's not a tell-all! lol that term is used w/ something salacious.

i think toy wants to keep it as neutral as possible.

i don't like her talking about the kids maternity just like there was some issue of her discussing their paternity...ugh it's fine to say 'no comment'

Kai Chase said Prince never went upstairs, that he stayed downstairs and prayed for his father, together with the personnel and Paris.

I don't get why everyone hates La Toya. I really don't, but I'll definitely be watching tomorrow night. thanks for posting.

They hate everyone in the family! Except for maybe Janet....she is allowed to do an interview and it is ok. As for whether Prince went up we don't know that. Latoya may have actually heard from Prince himself that he did.....gasp! Maybe the cook was wrong.

her bazaar interview has been posted, sparrow

and it's not a tell-all! lol that term is used w/ something salacious.

i think toy wants to keep it as neutral as possible.

i don't like her talking about the kids maternity just like there was some issue of her discussing their paternity...ugh it's fine to say 'no comment'

Oh! I didn't know that, I'll have to go look for it! Thanks.
I was using the term tell-all to refer to LaToya's interview, not Janet's, by the way.

Although the media was calling Janet's a "tell-all" as well.

:)

Well, most people here mainly dislike La Toya, Jermaine, Marlon and to a certain extent Joe. In my opinion you should leave certain subjects private, that's why people dislike them, because they just blab about crap. They shouldn't talk about "his final makeup call" and "whos the kids daddy?. Then again reading many of these so called "exclusive" interviews I get a feeling they are made up in some ways.

I'm really tired of this woman. She needs to leave Blanket alone. She seems to like talking about paternity when it comes to that child.

I feel sorry for LaToya, I think half the time she has no real clue what she's talking about...
I think she's sweet and means well, but she's also dumb and doesn't know when to shut up.

I just read Janet's interview and it was touching and classy. She was reserved, honest and humble.

LaToya's in comparison just makes me feel sad because it isn't any of those things.

I try not to pass judgment on the family, because obviously I do not know them, but she makes me uncomfortable when she talks about Michael.

*sigh* This family is so f***ed up (with the exception of Katherine, Janet, Rebbie, Prince, Paris, and Blanket.) Why can't they just stop talking? Seriously ... It does my bloody head in. I can't imagine what Mike went through.

LaToya has the courage to say that it is not
"all right" the way Michael Jackson was bought to his death.
If allowed I want to say: "Thank you, LaToya Jackson."
God bless you and grant you peace :angel:in knowing that
Michael Jackson continues to love his children, his family,
and you.

I would hate to be locked in a room with Jermaine and Latoya, can you IMAGINE that kind of conversation?

sure it's ok to say mj was murdered but by talking about his kids what good comes of that? it's more than the simple 'they're doing ok' line. it's talking paternity and maternity and it's a bit odd....

everything ELSE she's saying is taking attention away from the important things she's saying

Latoya - shut up and sit down!

For real! Look how she even told ABC to say that she did not receive compensation.

Sure not in the USA, but outside the USA ???

Ehh?? She can receive compensation for the interview being shown outside the US?

yeesh on this one.

ok so she doesn't know if the kids know who deb is...yet she's seen them after mj passed but she says they haven't. she says prince went upstairs,kai said he didnt....he's 12 not 13....and um.....

she does know that unfortunately and god forbid, if somethinghappens to katherine, the custody thing goes BACK to court....?

u can't just pass it down the line the way u want it to. debbie has to agree, again, or she may decide to take the chidlren. diana ross didn't go to the memorial nor did she go to the family funeral...she DID however,go to taco bell. priorities much?

i love toy, but just like shiitty...yvonne sux at interviews. i don't even want to imagine the view next week.

There are some contradictions in this interview which make me cringe. You've mentioned them above. I don't feel like she had to mention what Michael looked like when he was buried. She didn't have to mention that about Blanket's maternity; people are only interested in a court fight. I think her answer on the paternity was just ok; Tito's was better lol. It still left it open which I dont like. LaToya could be wrong about the kids meeting Diana after MJ's passing since she didn't know they met Debbie.

Regarding Diana Ross, are you serious? Was she photographed at Taco Bell the day after or before the burial?

Let's try to all be more positive.
LaToya is still in mourning.
Try expressing your hate against Barbara Walters.
Memories are short. It was Barbara who hosted the
"Living With Michael Jackson Bashit Special" for ABC news.

Back