Jermaine to perform "smile" at the mobo awards

Silentstar01

Proud Member
http://www.mobo.com/news-blogs/jermaine-ja...obo-awards-2009

13 September 2009
Jermaine Jackson & Shaheen to Pay Tribute at MOBO Awards 2009

The MOBO Awards 2009 are proud to announce that this year’s Award show will pay tribute to the late, great King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

In true style, Jermaine Jackson will again take to the stage to celebrate the immensely influential life of Michael Jackson, by performing the classic “Smile”.

Jermaine stated “I am delighted to be performing at this year's MOBO Awards. My family and I have been involved in the global pop music business for over half a century, and it is amazing to see influences from our era in modern day black music artists. I am looking forward to coming to Scotland, meeting the artists, and being part of MOBO 2009".

Shaheen Jafargholi, star of “Britain’s Got Talent”, will perform for the first time since he sang to over a billion people at the Michael Jacksons memorial service in July.

The ever-charming and charismatic Reggie Yates will co- host this year’s Awards, which will see the stage swamped by a collective of the best UK urban acts. Gracing the MOBO stage will be Chipmunk, JLS, Diversity, N Dubz, Flawless, Tinchy Stryder, Ironik and Bashy, who will all be performing to an audience of over 6,000 at the prestigious Scottish Exhibition + Conference Centre (SECC). Chipmunk will perform his hit “Diamond Rings” live for the first time in Scotland, alongside Glasgow’s finest Emeli Sande. Tinchy Stryder will do a medley of his number one singles “Never Leave” with Amelle Berrabah (Sugababes) and “Number One” with north London trio N-Dubz. Britain’s hottest boy-band JLS, will undoubtedly paint the city, red, blue, green and yellow, with a performance of their number one single “Beat Again”.

Keep checking back at the MOBO website for further exclusive announcements, which will be made shortly on the international artists and show!

This year’s 14th annual MOBO Awards promise to be bigger and better than ever. Taking place at the SECC in Glasgow on Wednesday 30th September, make sure you’re a part of it by getting your tickets here on mobo.com!!

Sorry, and I'm sorry if anyone takes this the wrong way, but I think the one time he performed "Smile" was the right time and the only time he should have done so.

The "MOBO" awards, which as you read is being held in my home city of Glasgow, is not the stage to sing "Smile" again, and doing so merely feels like an attempt at a career relaunch rather than yet another tribute.

Sorry if that sounds crass, but simply because Jermaine has appeared out the woodwork after Michael's passing does not mean we should all automatically warm to him as fans. This is the man who was, to date, trying some form of comeback on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK recently ... as did LaToya after him.

After all, he wasn't exactly there for Michael in the bad times.

i wish jermaine would just go away.. and shaheen has got on my wick ever since he said michael was going to pass the flame of fame to him or something like that lol pass on the chance of fame to a new generation!!! uhh don't think so

at first I was with him, but he really should stop now. It's gettin' annoying..

yeah I totally agree....I just posted it for the sake of news but when he sang at the memorial that was perfect. Now its going overboard.............:/

Sorry if that sounds bad but thats how I feel

yeah I totally agree....I just posted it for the sake of news but when he sang at the memorial that was perfect. Now its going overboard.............:/

Sorry if that sounds bad but thats how I feel

No, it doesn't sound bad at all ... and I am pleasantly surprised that the fans who've replied to the thread so far feel the same.

Michael has always been the meal ticket for the Jackson family, even during the Jackson 5 years. However when Michael went solo, the very matter of being Michael's relative was enough to propel you into stardom and celebrity recognition. Only Janet went and earned a crust off her own back and her own music.

The memorial service was a moving tribute, it felt right, but the Mobo awards? Come on Jermaine, give it a rest. This is, in my opinion, a very sinister and morbidly opportunistic attempt at reviving his own career off the back of Michael's passing and the natural outpouring of love from Michael's fans towards the Jackson family.

This is right up there with the way Elton John returned to the spotlight and revived his flagging career by performing Candle In The Wind at Princess Diana's funeral and going on to release it as a single, followed by a Greatest Hits record.

Sick.

Personally, I dont really care... LOLS!

Let him sing if he wants. I'm happy to see more MJ tributes.

Personally, I dont really care... LOLS!

Let him sing if he wants. I'm happy to see more MJ tributes.

I'd be happy too if it were a tribute ... which "Smile" was at the memorial service.

At the Mobo awards however, it's morbid.

Sorry.

I've got a lot of views on Jermaine, and LaToya for that matter, but in the interest of the forum and the peace on here at this time, I won't be airing them.

Nice. More tributes and people are complaining...

Nice. More tributes and people are complaining...

It's not a tribute ... not by a long shot.

It was a tribute, a moving and emotional one, at Michael's memorial.

The Mobo awards? Seriously? Come on ...

http://www.mobo.com/news-blogs/jermaine-ja...obo-awards-2009

13 September 2009
Jermaine Jackson & Shaheen to Pay Tribute at MOBO Awards 2009

The MOBO Awards 2009 are proud to announce that this year’s Award show will pay tribute to the late, great King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

In true style, Jermaine Jackson will again take to the stage to celebrate the immensely influential life of Michael Jackson, by performing the classic “Smile”.

Jermaine stated “I am delighted to be performing at this year's MOBO Awards. My family and I have been involved in the global pop music business for over half a century, and it is amazing to see influences from our era in modern day black music artists. I am looking forward to coming to Scotland, meeting the artists, and being part of MOBO 2009".

Shaheen Jafargholi, star of “Britain’s Got Talent”, will perform for the first time since he sang to over a billion people at the Michael Jacksons memorial service in July.

The ever-charming and charismatic Reggie Yates will co- host this year’s Awards, which will see the stage swamped by a collective of the best UK urban acts. Gracing the MOBO stage will be Chipmunk, JLS, Diversity, N Dubz, Flawless, Tinchy Stryder, Ironik and Bashy, who will all be performing to an audience of over 6,000 at the prestigious Scottish Exhibition + Conference Centre (SECC). Chipmunk will perform his hit “Diamond Rings” live for the first time in Scotland, alongside Glasgow’s finest Emeli Sande. Tinchy Stryder will do a medley of his number one singles “Never Leave” with Amelle Berrabah (Sugababes) and “Number One” with north London trio N-Dubz. Britain’s hottest boy-band JLS, will undoubtedly paint the city, red, blue, green and yellow, with a performance of their number one single “Beat Again”.

Keep checking back at the MOBO website for further exclusive announcements, which will be made shortly on the international artists and show!

This year’s 14th annual MOBO Awards promise to be bigger and better than ever. Taking place at the SECC in Glasgow on Wednesday 30th September, make sure you’re a part of it by getting your tickets here on mobo.com!!

Shouldn't He be talking about Michael in some way, shape or form. Whenever Jermaine talks all I hear is "Me, me me..." I don't like it.

By the way how do you quote just part of someone's post? Thanks :wub:

It's not a tribute ... not by a long shot.

It was a tribute, a moving and emotional one, at Michael's memorial.

The Mobo awards? Seriously? Come on ...

The Mobo awards are for Black artists... much like a UK version of the BET Awards. Pretty much every major black artist going today is heavily influenced by and owes their career to Michael paving the way back in the 80s so why shouldn't they do something to say thank you? I for one am actually grateful. Would be nice if people would understand that without award shows paying tribute in their own ways then all recent mention of MJ on the television would be overshadowed by the crappy media coverage instead of celebrating his music and saying thank you. I hope this is one of many many more tributes. All this is helping to counter the shitty image the media put out there and introduce kids to his music and legacy so I see nothing bad about it. Infact it is a win-win for Michael fans and it makes me lol to see people whining as if this is actually something really horrible and damaging to his memory - it isn't. I would like to see you put something better together... also how nice of you to assume it will be crap before the rehearsals have even begun. :smilerolleyes:

The Mobo awards are for Black artists... much like a UK version of the BET Awards. Pretty much every major black artist going today is heavily influenced by and owes their career to Michael paving the way back in the 80s so why shouldn't they do something to say thank you? I for one am actually grateful. Would be nice if people would understand that without award shows paying tribute in their own ways then all recent mention of MJ on the television would be overshadowed by the crappy media coverage instead of celebrating his music and saying thank you. I hope this is one of many many more tributes. All this is helping to counter the shitty image the media put out there and introduce kids to his music and legacy so I see nothing bad about it. Infact it is a win-win for Michael fans and it makes me lol to see people whining as if this is actually something really horrible and damaging to his memory - it isn't. I would like to see you put something better together... also how nice of you to assume it will be crap before the rehearsals have even begun. :smilerolleyes:

Where did I say it would be crap? Go on, quote those actual words from me? You will struggle to do so, because the words don't exist.

Oh, I said "The Mobo awards? Seriously? Come on ..." .... you'd do well working for the media putting a spin on comments by assuming that meant I thought the show would be "crap" and could do better myself. I meant, and it's quite obvious, that while performing Smile at Michael's memorial was a tribute, you cannot convince me the Mobo awards are the platform for yet another "tribute", especially with THAT song.

My comments have purely been regarding Jermaine and his pathetic attempt at slowly but surely rebuilding himself from the passing of his infinitely more famous brother.

That is my opinion, deal with it. If you don't like it, fine ... but don't dare put words in my mouth again.

I'm out of here ...

Last edited:
The continuous outrageous, horrible , silly and unnecessary insults to Jermaine need to stop on this Board, God, he is Michael's brother , His brother, I really don't understand why you all hate him so much, why? If anything Jermaine was always supportive and protective of mike in the past years , at the end of the day , he is his borther, they lived together, grown up together, cried together, laughed together, performed together, I find this hate towards him really bewildering on this website, he lost his brother, enough bashing and hating already.

The continuous outrageous, horrible , silly and unnecessary insults to Jermaine need to stop on this Board, God, he is Michael's brother , His brother, I really don't understand why you all hate him so much, why? If anything Jermaine was always supportive and protective of mike in the past years , at the end of the day , he is his borther, they lived together, grown up together, cried together, laughed together, performed together, I find this hate towards him really bewildering on this website, he lost his brother, enough bashing and hating already.

You know what, I don't think I was necessarily insulting Jermaine, by stating the obvious. If you look at the statement from him, he sounds like an artist who just received a nomination for an award and was asked to perform on an award show. No where in that statement does he sound like a grieving brother who is preparing to pay tribute to his brother who passed less than 3 months ago.

Sorry, I call it like I see it. When he starts acting like a grieving brother I'll see him as one. I don't doubt that he loved Michael very much, but he is the one putting himself out there over and over again, so I feel I have a right after hearing from him over and over again to have an opinion about what he has to say.

nothing new....Jermaine riding the coattails of his dead brother. Yawn....NEXT....

No, it doesn't sound bad at all ... and I am pleasantly surprised that the fans who've replied to the thread so far feel the same.

Michael has always been the meal ticket for the Jackson family, even during the Jackson 5 years. However when Michael went solo, the very matter of being Michael's relative was enough to propel you into stardom and celebrity recognition. Only Janet went and earned a crust off her own back and her own music.

The memorial service was a moving tribute, it felt right, but the Mobo awards? Come on Jermaine, give it a rest. This is, in my opinion, a very sinister and morbidly opportunistic attempt at reviving his own career off the back of Michael's passing and the natural outpouring of love from Michael's fans towards the Jackson family.

This is right up there with the way Elton John returned to the spotlight and revived his flagging career by performing Candle In The Wind at Princess Diana's funeral and going on to release it as a single, followed by a Greatest Hits record.

Sick.

I agree... its like when Michael did the song for Sammy Davis... it sang it to Sammy and vowed never to sing it again.......................
that is the way you do it..

Jermaine is suddenly everywhere. He must be really enjoying himself.

Umm Elton performed at Diana's funeral because he was asked to, and that version of Candle was only ever performed that one time ever. Also the single release all the proceeds were for charity, and billions of Elton's profits since then have also gone to charity.

at the mobo awards :s i really dont think that will gow down well at all

Back