Quincy Jones and Michael. . . What's Q's problem?

elmari

Proud Member
Everyone,

Please help me understand the relationship between Quincy and Michael.

MODS, KINDLY DON'T MERGE WITH THE QUINCY TRIBUTE THREAD. I'D LIKE TO DEVELOP A DISCUSSION ON THIS. BUT IF THIS BELONGS IN MICHAELMANIA, PLEASE MOVE ACCORDINGLY.

Today I read an interview Quincy gave to a spanish online newspaper called El Pais. Quincy had the audacity to state that Michael did not have much talent!

Ever since I read that, I have been so pissed all day. I can't just let it go, so I am asking for a discussion about what happened between Quincy and Michael for Quincy to say such nonsense about Michael.

I also know that after Michael's death, Quincy did an interview with a hiphop website where he made snide remarks about Michael's skin, vitiligo, and Michael's children. This is all relating that Quincy thought that Michael was denying his African American heritage.

I also know that Quincy was not supportive at all to Michael during the trial.

It just blows my mind how Quincy is so two-faced. I've read his 'touching' essays/tributes about Michael in the Ebony, RS, Time, etc tributes. He didn't state that he didn't think that Michael was lacking talent in those magazines. Instead, he is going to media abroad to talk negative about Michael or little known places to spread his negativity.

I just don't understand. He and Michael spent so much time together and Quincy is old enough to be his father, really. They created immortal music together and made a huge impact for the music industry.

Can anyone just clue me in on where this negativity is coming from? I know that Quincy was angry when Michael did not want to work with him anymore after Bad. But then Quincy was on the 'Number Ones' DVD in 2003. Quincy did some stuff with the re-release of Thriller, right? There were interviews of Quincy added for the special editions of OTW, Thriller, and Bad. I mean, Michael was still involving Quincy in his work one way or another over the years.

Thanks for reading and hopefully we will be able to figure this out together.

ETA:

I went to Quincy Jones official website. You can submit comments through:

TWITTER
http://twitter.com/QuincyDJones

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/QuincyJones

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/quincyjones

Also found this youtube video of the 1984 Grammys. While accepting an award with Michael, Quincy declares to the world:

'MICHAEL JACKSON IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TALENTS I HAVE EVER MET.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awV_On2LnZ8

At 3:05

Last edited:
Here's what I posted about the comment in the Spanish article:

Ok, found it. Ummm. . . I don't know what to say.

Here it is in Spanish-->

P. ¿Existía competencia entre ustedes?

R. ¡Ésa sí que es buena! Claro que no. He trabajado con Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin y, sobre todo, Ray Charles... ¿Cree que podría sentir celos de Michael Jackson? Michael no tenía tanto talento. Era grande, pero no jugaba en la liga de los que acabo de citar. He tenido siete hijos y participado en 40 películas. No tengo tiempo para perder en tonterías.

Q: Did competition exist between you two?

A: (I am paraphrasing since I am not a native speaker) Obviously not. I have worked with Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles. You think I could have felt jealous of Michael Jackson? Michael did not have much talent. He was great, but he is not in the league of those that I mentioned.

So if this article is true, then EPIC FAIL to Quincy Jones. Still talking smack about Michael. What the heck is wrong with this man?????? He has a HUGE ego, IMO. What is Quincy's problem with Michael?

IMO, Michael IS of that caliber (Armstrong, Sinatra, Holiday, Charles, etc) but of Michael's genre which pop/R&B/rock. Quincy was comparing Michael to all jazz and soul artists. Two different genres of music. Plus, obviously jazz is Quincy's first love, not pop and R&B. So Quincy's comment is sort of misleading and doesn't make sense.

He did say that Michael had called him after his concerts had sold out in London and that he was doing it for his children. He did also say that all the ideas from 'Off the Wall' were Michael's.

Here's what I posted about the comment in the Spanish article:

Ok, found it. Ummm. . . I don't know what to say.

Here it is in Spanish-->

Q: Did competition exist between you two?

A: (I am paraphrasing since I am not a native speaker) Obviously not. I have worked with Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles. You think I could have felt jealous of Michael Jackson? Michael did not have much talent. He was great, but he is not in the league of those that I mentioned.

So if this article is true, then EPIC FAIL to Quincy Jones. Still talking smack about Michael. What the heck is wrong with this man?????? He has a HUGE ego, IMO. What is Quincy's problem with Michael?

IMO, Michael IS of that caliber (Armstrong, Sinatra, Holiday, Charles, etc) but of Michael's genre which pop/R&B/rock. Quincy was comparing Michael to all jazz and soul artists. Two different genres of music. Plus, obviously jazz is Quincy's first love, not pop and R&B. So Quincy's comment is sort of misleading and doesn't make sense.

He did say that Michael had called him after his concerts had sold out in London and that he was doing it for his children. He did also say that all the ideas from 'Off the Wall' were Michael's.

I think you got your answer. Michael wanted to be his own producer and product, that's why he split with Quincy Jones. Since then Quincy hasn't digest the split up.

He needs to get off his high horse and remember that if it wasn't for Mike, he wouldn't be as well known as he is now.

Actually, I didn't even know who he was until I became a MJ fan.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think Quincy wants to say that he is the reason Michael was a big as he was. He thinks that without him, Michael would be nothing. He doesn't understand that it was Michael who made Thriller. As a producer he helped a little, but it was Michael's vision and talent and creativity and drive and destiny that made him as successful as he turned out to be. If Quincy wants to take credit for Michael's success, then let him, but if I were in his shoes, I would have felt so honoured to have worked with a genius like Michael Jackson. Maybe someone should tell Q he should be more appreciative. There are thousands of producers out there that would have loved to work with Michael. Quincy was lucky enough to do that. But saying Michael Jackson wasn't really that talented, is like saying Michael Jordan couldn't really play basketball. It's obsurd. It's obvious he doesn't like to give Michael credit for his success.

Last edited:
I read this on KOP disscussion board. I think Q is bitter as hell. But, hey evry artist wants needs to grow so I don't mind that Mj got somebody else to do dangerous if that was the problem? I love dangerous it's my fav MJ cd period!

Plus, if that's the real reason jones must be crazy cause they did The Wiz, Off The Wall, Thriller, E.T Story Book and Bad together what more can MJ do with him before it got old? All that was from 1978-to 1987! That's long enough to me. Plus, mj ask Q to do somthing on Invincible and he said he was to busy soo I don't know or get what's up with old Q?

Michael jackson has no talent............riiiiiiight

Do we really need TWO threads about this?................and, how does anyone know that this article is even real or valid?...........so much energy is always spent on stuff no one can confirm, I just don't get it?

The list of people that are becoming 'hated' in the MJ fan world is growing awfully large, IMO. Why not spend your energy elsewhere....like, helping others?

may be he is angry(if this is true) cause Michael didnt call him for the Dangerous album and nver once for the other albums, but really, seems invented, Quincy was at the funeral, THIS IS A LIE, he cant be that low, no way

I wouldn't worry about it. I think Quincy wants to say that he is the reason Michael was a big as he was. He thinks that without him, Michael would be nothing. He doesn't understand that it was Michael who made Thriller. As a producer he helped a little, but it was Michael's vision and talent and creativity and drive and destiny that made him as successful as he turned out to be. If Quincy wants to take credit for Michael's success, then let him, but if I were in his shoes, I would have felt so honoured to have worked with a genius like Michael Jackson. Maybe someone should tell Q he should be more appreciative. There are thousands of producers out there that would have loved to work with Michael. Quincy was lucky enough to do that. But saying Michael Jackson wasn't really that talented, is like saying Michael Jordan couldn't really play basketball. It's obsurd. It's obvious he doesn't like to give Michael credit for his success.
If he really thinks that he's delusional, i hav one album of him , something about the block, it sux, really, but this is a LIE

"Quincy Jones and Michael. . . What's Q's problem? "

Gas?

All of a sudden I don't like Quincy at all!

Quincy need to stop smoking weed, I swear.

The older he gets, the crazier he gets.

He needs to get off his high horse and remember that if it wasn't for Mike, he wouldn't be as well known as he is now.

Actually, I didn't even know who he was until I became a MJ fan.

why what a prick

Because it's GAS, it's gas, I know it!

And the whole world has to answer right now just to tell you once again -

It's GAS.

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:
:hysterical:

"Quincy Jones and Michael. . . What's Q's problem? "

Gas?

LOL! Huh?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

In all honesty, I don't want to spread the negativity. El Pais is not a tabloid publication. It's a legitimate online spanish newspaper. I used it as a source for my studies many times.

So, I sort of have this theory that Quincy is angry at Michael for 'allowing' his personal life to overshadow his/their musical achievements (at least while Michael was still alive). Quincy and Michael are forever going to be linked because of the success of Thriller.

I too believe that Quincy wants to take the credit for Michael's immense success. But luckily, there are so many other producers, engineers, songwriters and respectable artists out there that have testified that Michael is truly a musical genius.

My beef with Quincy is that people think of him as a genius, legendary, a respectable voice in the music industry. So when he says stuff like this, people are gonna be like 'What?!?' and it's gonna get attention.

Anyways, thanks to everyone again for their opinions.

Lol guys let not bash him. We can hate him for what he said but you got to admit he was a good producer. And I think he could have possibly changed his mind abut michael since he went to the funeral. And you got to remember he's old school

LOL! Huh?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

In all honesty, I don't want to spread the negativity. El Pais is not a tabloid publication. It's a legitimate online spanish newspaper. I used it as a source for my studies many times.

So, I sort of have this theory that Quincy is angry at Michael for 'allowing' his personal life to overshadow his/their musical achievements (at least while Michael was still alive). Quincy and Michael are forever going to be linked because of the success of Thriller.

I too believe that Quincy wants to take the credit for Michael's immense success. But luckily, there are so many other producers, engineers, songwriters and respectable artists out there that have testified that Michael is truly a musical genius.

My beef with Quincy is that people think of him as a genius, legendary, a respectable voice in the music industry. So when he says stuff like this, people are gonna be like 'What?!?' and it's gonna get attention.

Anyways, thanks to everyone again for their opinions

i do agree with you. but i would also hope that the fact that quincy would say this after mj has passed also speaks for itself?

you'd think after someone passes.... they would let the person rest in peace. especially if you had a close relationship with the person

Well SH!T!!! So This Interview he did was Legit then? But he seemed soo hurt after Michael's death...

I mean wtf? is everyone against Mike then, even the so called "close friends"?

Hoping its NOT true...If he actually said this...then I lost respect for him...not only about Michael not being that talented...but the comments he made about Michael's skin condition...

Quincy is one of the pioneers of be-bop jazz, trumpeter - but Miles Davis was BETTER.

After a few singles hits, he stepped back to produce albums for others and stretched out. He was never a part of Motown's machine. He came from the New York and European jazz scenes.

It's all good. Quincy IS a genius - but is a frustrated artist - he always wanted to be the front man.

He's just bitter because all people ask him about is Michael Jackson and not about how Quincy influenced Miles Davis.

Although Miles Davis was ghetto real enough to be like "Quincy who?"

Last edited:
Back