The Lip Thing

Arty

Proud Member
Mikes problem with the lip was a very dark time for his fans-a time without the most beautiful smile. But for MJ it must have been even worse. MJ was so sensitve it must have been a very very difficult time for him.
When did the lip problem started??? Which year was it??? And for how long did he had the problem?? Anyone know??

So you ask why is this topic in the Groove Theory section of the forum.
I tell you why. I wonder if he had the lip-problem while he recorded songs and if that problem may have affected his voice.
Was his lip ok while he recorded Invincible?? or did he had the problem during the invincible studio session and did it affect his singing ability???

Last edited:
ummm you mean the botox in the early 2000s?

ummm you mean the botox in the early 2000s?

Yepp. So it was early 2000s when did he finish recording for invincible??

Do you think he had the problem while he was recording for invincible??

The only lip problems I know of are those tabloid stories of his lip bursting and collapsing back in 2007 (which seem outrageous and untrue). Explain please?

This thread will probably get locked...it is talking about a part of Mj's health...not allowed on this forum..

I tell you why. I wonder if he had the lip-problem while he recorded songs and if that problem may have affected his voice.

this part cracks me up LOL.you raise a question and answer it yourself to save ppl's alot time to work it out.......tho i never thought the lip you meant is actually his lip...^_^;

Not gonna lock it, for now. .. There was an obvious difference with his mouth, during MSG. Over time, it got better. He never said what that was about, but the problem was OBVIOUS. I'm not sure, though, if y'all will solve it here?

Mikes problem with the lip was a very dark time for his fans-a time without the most beautiful smile. But for MJ it must have been even worse. MJ was so sensitve it must have been a very very difficult time for him.
When did the lip problem started??? Which year was it??? And for how long did he had the problem?? Anyone know??

Was his lip ok while he recorded Invincible?? or did he had the problem during the invincible studio session and did it affect his singing ability???[/quote]I'm sorry but you lost completely lost me here - - what does his "lip" have to do with his voice on Invicible? Are you saying his voice didn't sound right or what ?

:lol: ok it would take all night to post all the songs!

Last edited:
It doesn't sound to me like it affected Invincible, but you can clearly hear that something is wrong when he talked, in example the private home movies series, he had problems with the s-sound. Then again, that can also happen if you have throat issues.

It doesn't sound to me like it affected Invincible, but you can clearly hear that something is wrong when he talked, in example the private home movies series, he had problems with the s-sound. Then again, that can also happen if you have throat issues.

Yepp you can hear that it affected his talking voice when watching Bret Ratners private interview-he sounds different and I think it has something to do with his lip.
But again had he the problem while recording invincible or other records??? Or did he stop recording until he got better??? Has anyone a clue??

Yepp you can hear that it affected his talking voice when watching Bret Ratners private interview-he sounds different and I think it has something to do with his lip.
But again had he the problem while recording invincible or other records??? Or did he stop recording until he got better??? Has anyone a clue??

Just quoting you because I had typed out a long reply but my pc crapped out on me and I lost it all. :(

Anyway....with all due respect.....you know I've been an ardent supporter of yours in the HIStory lipsyncing thread. You know I can't stand when MJ mimed during the HIStory tour.

But that said....sir....I apologize because I really don't understand what you are referring to here. I know in the late 90's-early 2000's I couldn't stand the red lipstick he wore (sorry Karen Faye....I hated it, but no disrespect to you...it was just too feminine looking for my tastes cuz Mike's a man), but besides that, I really don't understand what you're talking about, Arty?

His lips in my opinion didn't look any different (besides the horrid lipstick I hated as I honestly stated above).

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. His lips were fine as far as I'm concerned. His singing on Invincible was on point and he sounded like prime-era MJ from my point of view.

I don't like saying it but also his nose at the time was very thin and high. That probably affected his voice too. He slightly sounded like you sound when you close your nose and try to speak. *hides*

But I think he sounded ok in PHM.

Just quoting you because I had typed out a long reply but my pc crapped out on me and I lost it all. :(

Anyway....with all due respect.....you know I've been an ardent supporter of yours in the HIStory lipsyncing thread. You know I can't stand when MJ mimed during the HIStory tour.

But that said....sir....I apologize because I really don't understand what you are referring to here. I know in the late 90's-early 2000's I couldn't stand the red lipstick he wore (sorry Karen Faye....I hated it, but no disrespect to you...it was just too feminine looking for my tastes cuz Mike's a man), but besides that, I really don't understand what you're talking about, Arty?

His lips in my opinion didn't look any different (besides the horrid lipstick I hated as I honestly stated above).

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. His lips were fine as far as I'm concerned. His singing on Invincible was on point and he sounded like prime-era MJ from my point of view.
If you look at pictures from the MSG concert, you can see his lips look different. His face isn't as expressive as it usually is because he can't smile the same. It didn't last, so it was probably botox.

No one as yet answered my question. So I ask again.

When did the problem he had with his lip( he couldn´t smile anymore-different speaking voice check Ratner interview) started??

And how long did it last?

I don´t know if it was botox or something else but something definatley went terrible wrong. Mike always recorded music. I´m curious to know if he stopped recording during the time he had the problem so for me it´s important to know how long he had the problem and if he had the problem even during the invincible session. Maybe he would´ve recorded more if he hadn´t the problem.

@defdave I guess you´re a new fan.

Back in the day the lip-thing was big news on all mj boards-so you must have missed it but believe me he had a serious problem couldn´t smile anymore etc-so fans were so happy that he could smile again-but my question is how long he had the problem and when did it started.

So defdave this thread is not about if he had the problem or not -he had 100% a problem with his lip there is no discussion about that.

This thread is in the Groove Theory for music lovers and experts -the lip-thing is about his music and recording and not about other things so please stop the debate if he had a problem or not. He had the problem but we moved on years ago so we need not discuss this all again this thread is about MJ in the Studio and how the problem may have affected his work if he had the problem during the invincible session or any other session. That I don´t know because I don´t know exact when the problem started that is why I´m asking but not to start a discussion here if he had or hadn´t a problem.

Last edited:
I don't like saying it but also his nose at the time was very thin and high. That probably affected his voice too. He slightly sounded like you sound when you close your nose and try to speak. *hides*

But I think he sounded ok in PHM.

That´s right his nose was different. You´re right but let us here please focus on the lip-thing.
It would cause to much confusion if we focus on his nose and lip during that time.
When people have nose operations sometimes a sideeffect is a numb lip. So maybe he had a operation on his nose that is why the nose was so small and as a sideeffect he had the numb lip. But that´s pure speculation I don´t want to continue with the speculation. I need evidence! When was the first time we fans have seen him with the problem?? And when did the first pics came out with his beautiful smile again??

Last edited:
The only thing I have noticed about his lips is that his upper lip didn't move while answering the questions to Bashir in "Living With Michael Jackson". :scratch:

The only thing I have noticed about his lips is that his upper lip doesn't move while answering the questions to Bashir in "Living With Michael Jackson". :scratch:

again he had 100% a problem this thread is not about if he had a problem or if he hadn´t he had the problem!

You noticed that his upper lip doesn´t move--well that is the whole problem!!

Please only post in this thread if you can tell something about the timeframe. When did it started?? And when could he smile again??

again he had 100% a problem this thread is not about if he had a problem or if he hadn´t he had the problem!

You noticed that his upper lip doesn´t move--well that is the whole problem!!

Please only post in this thread if you can tell something about the timeframe. When did it started?? And when could he smile again??
Well, then I believe it was a side-effect caused by some kind of surgery.
It's hard to believe he used botox as his lips were full from his childhood.

It started late 2000/early 2001 time.

Look at MJ from 2000 WMA - his smile is broad and looks great:

2000%20awards.JPG

Fast forward to Christmas 2000 when MJ made an appearance at a celebrity Christmas charity function:

SMX2000122009.jpg

... and then the pictures from his London visit in 2001 (Oxford Union speech) revealed that there was a definate problem with his upper lip and he didn't appear as if he could smile normally.

Michael+Jackson+Hospitalized+K_eNgoMtpcjl.jpg

Last edited:
It started late 2000/early 2001 time.

Look at MJ from 2000 WMA - his smile is broad and looks great:

2000%20awards.JPG

Fast forward to Christmas 2000 when MJ made an appearance at a celebrity Christmas charity function:

SMX2000122009.jpg

... and then the pictures from his London visit in 2001 (Oxford Union speech) revealed that there was a definate problem with his upper lip and he didn't appear as if he could smile normally.

Michael+Jackson+Hospitalized+K_eNgoMtpcjl.jpg

Thank you very very much!!!!
Now we just need pics were his smile his broad again and we have the timeframe.

So the problem startet late 2000 .Was he still recording late 2000??

The thing is I´m afraid he had the problem for many years. It started around Christmas 2000 and could he smile in 2004 again?? If not that would mean 3-4 years Mike had to live with a numb lip. Man that is a serious thing. It must have been a serious mental thing for him -he is a singer! Do you think the numb lip may have affected his singing voice?
Imagine you´ve to live for 3-4 or more years with an numb lip. Man that is so terrible.Poor Michael!

Last edited:
okay,from the pic you can tell
1.his upper lip seemed strange
2. the distance between his nose and mouth became farther than before

and i heard that two nerves between his nose and mouth was cut off in the surgery.so he cant smile like before and also didnt have many facial expression for a long time.

and i heard that two nerves between his nose and mouth was cut off in the surgery.so he cant smile like before and also didnt have many facial expression for a long time.

Thanks for the info I didn´t know that about the two nerves.These doctors are really bastards!!
You say for a long time-Do you know when he had his smile back again?

Really people imagine you have a noise job and you wake up and your lip is numb and you cannot smile anymore for many years.

WOOWW. I´m really in shock.!!

Imagine you have to go back to your work to your daily live without been able to smile and be able to have many facial expressions etc. A lot of people would go into depression or to the mental hospital. It is very very serious thing.
And now imagine how MJ must have felt-while the whole world was watching him and on top of that he was a singer...it´s a shocker!!

thanks for that info. You might be right about that!
It makes me sad to think about all this. I know it's a taboo subject, but I'm shure that it really touches a lot of fans that truly loves Michael. Because they care about him, it hurts to know, that he probably did'nt like himself and/or how he looked, and if that was the reason that he supposedly had some surgey done.

This is no disrespect at ALL. I respect his privacy, and I aknowledge that we are NOT to judge any of his choises in life.

:angel:

Thank you very very much!!!!
Now we just need pics were his smile his broad again and we have the timeframe.

So the problem startet late 2000 .Was he still recording late 2000??

003-2.jpg

014-1.jpg

151.jpg

13-2.jpg

027.jpg

Back