Michael Jackson Didn’t Like Pepsi

rockstar

Proud Member
i hope this is o.k to post :)

Michael Jackson didn’t like Pepsi — despite recording a commercial for the famous drinks brand.
Jackson — who died June 25 at the age of 50 — filmed the famous commercial, in which his hair was set on fire, at the Los Angeles Shrine Auditorium on Jan. 27, 1984.
“I hate Pepsi. I hated doing that dumb commercial,” Jackson reportedly said during a taped interview with the ghost writer of his autobiography Moonwalk
“The only thing I liked about it was working with the children.”
Meanwhile, Jackson’s pal David Gest — who is making a documentary called My Best Friend Michael, which he promises will show this real side of the star — has revealed how the tragic King of Pop “talked tough” and had a deep voice.
“I’m showing an interview I did with Michael that shows him talking in his real voice, like, ‘C’mon David, let’s get it done now’,” David said.
“You know — he doesn’t talk like, ‘Hi, how are you?’ He talks very, very tough. I’m telling you the truth.”

here is link:http://www.showbizspy.com/article/192102/michael-jackson-didnt-like-pepsi.html

Do you mean, he didn't like the drink Pepsi, or didn't like working with Pepsi, I presume you mean the drink, he must of enjoyed working with Pepsi, he made some great commercials!

thankss .. very interesting , but is this real ?

Michael wanted to eat healthy, so its understandable that he didnt like pepsi.

the commercial was pretty lame as well. he tried to make it cool, but just listen to the pepsi version of billie jean, and bad, lol

He didnt like pepsi, but needed the money to fund the concert, which they did and it all worked out.

Michael didn't drink any soda until at least the Bad era, if I remember correctly from Bruce Swedien's book.

Michael was missing out though, Pepsi is a God sent gift :p
I like it more than Coke, and definitely more than any alcohol :ph34r:

i like Pepsi but i can't drink it anymore cause i have IBS but i like to do some Pepsi commercial like Michael did :D

I dont like Pepsi either Mike... XD I like root beer and ginger ale better.

But what is this second part? About David Gest? I hope it won't be another leechy attempt to put Michael in a bad light in order to make money off of him... But I guess David has been loyal (from what I've seen) to Michael all along, so perhaps it will actually be a book worth buying!

Last edited:
Anybody who read Moonwalk or the first edition of The Magic and The Madness knew this already

Can't wait for the David Gest Doc should be cool especially to see the recording of Michael
I've always admired David since hes a friend of the family

Gotta be better than the rotter that is Geller, noticed nobody took much interest in his documentary!

I used drink Pepsi years ago it didn't taste right to me anymore. I like Mountain Dew it's so sweet.

He probably didn't like doing ANY commercials...

Anyway Pepsi is disgusting and so is CC :p

lol well to each their own! lol

You'd Do Anything For Money..... even something that ya didn't like... I think he liked WORKING for pepsi but not the drink .... which is odd because isn't there a photo of Michael when he was younger with a bottle of soda?!

i think he perferred Coke over Pepsi I remember seeing a few pics back in the day him drinking Coke n a glass bottle. a 90' pics he had acan of Coke. later perhaps he drink healthier.

I remember seeing an interview that he did not drink soda at all, he actually preferred Orange Gatorade which is a favorite of mine as well.

Mike wanted Quaker Oats to sponsor the Victory tour. Pepsi was Don King's idea, as they offered more money. And if you know anything about Don, he's only about money.

Michael didn't drink any soda until at least the Bad era, if I remember correctly from Bruce Swedien's book.

Michael was missing out though, Pepsi is a God sent gift :p
I like it more than Coke, and definitely more than any alcohol :ph34r:

Aww...Bruce likes Pepsi better than Coke? Sad day...:(

One cannot deny the powers of Coke w/ a lil bit o' my friend Jack in it! :punk:

Check this article about the michael and pepsi from billboard
http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...ade-marketing-history-1003990522.story?page=1

Essentially two kinds of people existed in the '80s: Coke drinkers and Pepsi drinkers. And if you loved Michael Jackson, you had good reason to fall into the latter group.

In November 1983, one year after "Thriller" was released, Jackson (with his brothers) and PepsiCo struck a $5 million partnership that would shatter the record for a celebrity endorsement deal, link the two entities for a decade and set the bar for every integrated marketing campaign that would follow.
Billboard's Full continuing Michael Jackson coverage, including video, charts and more.

Jackson's managers approached Jay Coleman, founder/CEO of Entertainment Marketing & Communications International, who would eventually broker all three Jackson-Pepsi deals, with the idea of partnering Jackson with a major brand at a firm asking price. Coleman, who had already orchestrated Jovan fragrances' landmark sponsorship of the Rolling Stones' Tattoo You tour, first proposed the idea to Coca-Cola.

"They gave it serious consideration yet couldn't make that leap of faith," Coleman says. "They saw anything they would do with Michael as a more targeted, ethnic campaign." Coca-Cola offered a $1 million deal that was rejected and the Jacksons moved on to PepsiCo, where then-CEO Roger Enrico was looking for a big idea to launch his youth-targeted "New Generation" campaign for the brand. "The goal was to make Pepsi look young and Coke look old, and Michael Jackson was in fact the choice of that generation—he was already the King of Pop, even though he hadn't declared it," Coleman says.

PepsiCo and its ad agency, BBDO, also hesitated at the possible cost, but Coleman's proposal proved too appealing. "I pitched it as a multifaceted marketing campaign with lots of touch points: big-time advertising, tour sponsorship, logos on the cans, displays in the supermarket and PR-friendly events," Coleman says. When Jackson suggested using his song "Billie Jean" as the jingle (with the rewritten chorus, "You're the Pepsi generation/Guzzle down and taste the thrill of the day/And feel the Pepsi way"), Pepsi was sold.

So pervasive was the first campaign, which ran from 1983 to 1984, that the stories surrounding it have become like fables: the infamous accident that set Jackson's hair on fire and resulted in his rumored first cosmetic surgery, the star's desire to hide his face behind sunglasses for a "less is more" effect, and so on.

But its impact on the music and advertising industries was equally widespread. "It was definitely game-changing," says Brian J. Murphy, executive VP of branded entertainment at TBA Global. "You couldn't separate the tour from the endorsement from the licensing of the music, and then the integration of the music into the Pepsi fabric. If you pulled any one of those pieces apart, it really took away from what the campaign was all about."

Jackson's creative input also was groundbreaking. "Michael was very much involved in the execution of everything, from the choreography to the location scouting," says Bob Giraldi, who directed Jackson's most iconic Pepsi commercials—from the very first "street scene" spot featuring kids dancing with their idol, to the "Bad" series that amounted to a mini action movie—as well as the "Beat It" music video. "He really knew what worked."

Apart from a short-lived deal with the athletic footwear brand L.A. Gear, other endorsements were scant during the prime of Jackson's career, though he shot a few international TV spots for Suzuki, Sony and Esonic.

Pepsi, meanwhile, had sales of $7.7 billion in 1984 and an increase in market share while Coca-Cola's dropped, according to financial reports at the time. Pepsi signed a second, $10 million deal with Jackson in support of his "Bad" album and tour through 1987-88. Where Jackson's initial deal with Pepsi was limited to the United States, this one was global, covering 20-plus countries during the singer's world tour.

The trend of Pepsi signing music stars as spokespeople has continued into the present day, with Lionel Richie, Madonna, Beyoncé and Britney Spears all lending their name to the brand. Corporations of all stripes now align themselves frequently with pop artists, but with music and advertising becoming increasingly fragmented, Jackson's deals with Pepsi will likely remain the industry standard-bearer. Murphy says that 360-degree deals "are very effective, but whether they'll ever become that front-page newsworthy really depends on the level of wattage of the artist. I don't know that we'll see something like this again."

I always thought it was interesting that he drank out of Coke cans and not Pepsi. Serves Pepsi right. . . just because they pay someone millions doesn't mean the person actually likes the product!! But did MJ even drink soda? Seems to me he was a health nut.

Personally, I prefer Coke to Pepsi so I'm with Mike on this one. (if he did drink pop)

Well I knew that after reading MM and michael said he wouldn't drink the drink to promote it

I don't care for Pepsi myself. It's OK, but I prefer Coke. Actually I drink Mello Yello (the coke version of Mountain Dew for those who don't know what it is.

Dr Pepper is good too..but that's a Pepsi product.

Back