Dateline NBC tonight, 9pm E.T with Rabbi Boteach's tapes

littlesparrow

Proud Member
I could have sworn there was a thread for this, but for some reason I can't find it now.

Can we have a thread to discuss these recordings to be played tonight on this special?
Regardless of whether or not you hate Boteach or however you feel about the release of the tapes, it would still be nice to have a place to discuss them - because they are being released whether we like it or not.

I have the TV on in the background set to Access Hollywood, or one of those crappy entertainment shows, and I was getting upset already with their previews.
Example: they showed Boteach saying "Michael those people (us, the fans) don't love you - they love what you do for them".

Is anyone going to watch tonight?

EDIT: In case anyone's interested, here are some direct quotes from MJ:

Keep in mind, the recordings have been butchered and taken out of context.
These are not necessarily in order, they are just the ones I managed to type out while I could keep up with the television.

(On why he didn’t hang out with a lot of other celebrities: )
M: They love the limelight and I don’t have anything in common with them. They want to go clubbing and afterward they want to sit around and drink….

M: I needed someone. That’s probably why I had, uh, the mannequins. Because I felt that I needed people, someone, and I didn’t have - I was too shy to be around real people.

(On fame: )
M: And I’m gonna say something - I’ve never said it before - and this is the truth Shmuley, I have no reason to lie to you: all my success and fame – and I’ve wanted it. I’ve wanted it – is because I’ve wanted to be loved. And that’s all.

M: I wanted to become such a wonderful performer that I would get loved back (from his father and from other people)…I was hoping I could get love from other people.

(On his mother: )
M: I don’t know anybody like her. She’s like a mother Teresa. There’s very few people like that.

(On Tatum: )
M: When I held Tatum’s hand, I was like, in heaven. It was the most magical feeling, it was better than kissing her – it was better than anything,
RB: she held your hand and you felt love?
M: like fireworks going off.

(On Brooke Shields: )
M: That was one of the loves of my life!
M: We dated a lot. We went - we went out a lot.
Her pictures were all over my walls – my mirrors and everything.

M: Man, we exchanged numbers and I was up all night, spinning around in my room. I was so happy – it was great.

(On Madonna: )

M: Afterwards I think she wrote some mean things about me in the press, and I said “she’s a nasty witch”.

(On his father: )

M: He would make you strip nude first…He’d oil you down so when the flip of the, um, the ironing cord would hit you, and it was just like you’re dying…

M: I’ll never forget one day, he said “you guys ever stop singing, I’m gonna drop you like a hot potato”…

M: I never felt love from him. And he’d never hold me or touch me.

M: And god bless my father, ‘cause he did some wonderful things. He was brilliant, he was a genius.

RB: How do you view him today?
M: I am scared of my father to this day…I’ve fainted in his presence many times…I’ll be honest…Once, to be honest. I’ve thrown up in his presence…

M: And now - he’s so different now and he wants to be a better father. I wish he would have learned that earlier.

(On his looks and aging: ) (this breaks my heart)
M: I saw it on the computer. It made me sick when I saw it. I look like a lizard. I look like – it is horrible. I don’t like – I never liked it.
I just don’t want to look old…I hate to see people grow old Shmuley…

M: I just don’t want to look old – and – and – start forgetting.

M: I want to always be youthful – and have the energy to run around and play hide and seek – which is one of my favorite games

RB: Do you want to live a long life?
M: I think growing old is the ugliest…the most…the ugliest thing.

(On race: )
M: You had Belafonte, you had Sammy, Nat King Cole…I was the first one to break the ice, to break the mold ….(talks about all the girls screaming “I love you!” at him) and a lot of the white press – they didn’t like that. And that’s why they started the weird stories…

M: This white guy in a car screamed to her: “go back to Africa you n*****!” And it hurt me so much.

M: I just hate it - because a person’s skin has nothing to do with the content of their character.

(On the press: )
M: They try to shred me apart – because when you’re the top selling artist of all time – you’re the target now.

(On his eating habits on the Dangerous tour: )
M: I wouldn’t eat. She (Liz Taylor) took the spoon and put it to my mouth….
Then they started doing it intravenously.

(On Children: )
M: I would love to come back as a – as a child that never grows old - like peter pan.

M: I see beauty in all children. They’re all beautiful to me. They’re so beautiful and I love them all.
The happiness and the joy that I see in the eyes of children - they give me - they saved my life. I wanna give it back. They saved me, Shumely - I’m not joking (tearing up).

(On living at home with his parents: )
M: I thought I was still this little kid. “It’s not time for me to go yet.
I’m still a boy, it’s not time for me to leave home yet.” I really felt that.

M: I would like some kind of way to disappear where people don’t see me anymore.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know if I'm gonna watch it. It's gonna be on in 45 min. over here.

I wont give there money hungry a$$ any ratings
I don't care what Micheal said 7yrs ago and there gonna twist it anyway
I'm sure that he didn't want these tapes to come out(if he even knew about them)
what Boteach is doing is disgusting
and I hope that fans are smart enough to not watch this show or buy the book
these ppl have made money off of MJ's death long enough

It's not the tapes that we are worried about it's the stupid comments from that thing that taped MJ twisting and giving his stupid opinion about it.

Some fans are just hilarious...listen to his voice. Who are we kidding?

anyway, I refuse to watch that trash. And I am sure, MJ would be appalled at what this man is doing. I am usually hard on the Jackson family, but tonight I really feel bad for them. That horrible rabbi is using their own son's words to shame them.
MJ seem to have forgiven his father, I don't see the point (beside money of course) of airing these decade old tapes.

Hmm, I don't know if I'm gonna watch it. It's gonna be on in 45 min. over here.
I would
It's not the tapes that we are worried about it's the stupid comments from that thing that taped MJ twisting and giving his stupid opinion about it.
The true is that when one actually HEARS Michael's voice is good cause what i hear so far from his own words and even Boteach is good, its Michael voice, no matter how hard the tabloids then try to twist it, Michael's voice is there speaking and that cannot be changed, and michael did NOT said nothing bad, nothing

I'll watch it (it starts in a half an hour here in NY) and if there's anything interesting I'll tell you about it. He also talks about Madonna and here's an article about the tapes and what he said about Madonna:

2s13fau.jpg

The King of Pop befriended the singer in the early 1990s and several dates followed, but Jackson revealed he never had any romantic interest in her during a taped conversation with his close friend Rabbi Shmuley Boteach.

Jackson told Boteach, "I think she (Madonna) likes shock value and she knows how to push buttons on people. I think she was sincerely in love with me and I was not in love with her. She did a lot of crazy things. I knew we had nothing in common.

"She is not sexy at all. I think sexy comes from the heart in the way you present yourself."

The Thriller icon believed Madonna was one of several stars who envied his fame: "They admire you and know you are wonderful and great because they are jealous, because they wish they were in your shoes. Madonna is one of them. She is jealous. She is a girl, a woman and I think that's what bothers her...

"I get the fainting and adulation and she doesn't."

The star went on to confess he had considered dating actress Elizabeth Taylor but feared the media would mock their 27-year age gap.

He said, "I know that if we ever did anything romantically the press would be so mean and nasty and call us the Odd Couple. It would turn into a circus and that's the pain of it all."

Jackson also described the late Princess Diana as his ideal woman: "I thought she was very special - very feminine and classy. She was my type for sure, and I don't like most girls. There are very few I like who fit the mould. It takes a very special mould to make me happy and she was one of them."

Boteach, who is publishing the conversations, maintains Jackson wanted the footage to be released to the public so his fans could gain a better understanding of his personal life.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/39514557.html#cutid1

'Michael Jackson Tapes' details star's obsessions
By VICTOR EPSTEIN (AP) – 7 hours ago
ENGLEWOOD, N.J. — Pop superstar Michael Jackson feared the ravages of old age, sought the company of sycophants and appeared to be abusing prescription drugs and cosmetic surgery nearly a decade before his death, according to a new book by a former adviser.
"The Michael Jackson Tapes" break little in the way of new ground but the book by Shmuley Boteach, based on 30 hours of taped interviews, provides firsthand detail about the performer's excesses and obsessions.
"I don't want to be seen now," Jackson confessed. "Because I am like a lizard. It is horrible."
Jackson died June 25 and his death is being treated as a homicide.
The 50-year-old self-described "King of Pop" seemed to sense during the interviews in 2000 and 2001 that his life was winding down, Boteach said.
"I would like some way to disappear where people don't see me anymore at some point," Jackson said. "I don't want to grow old. I never want to look in the mirror and see that."
"He lost the will to live," Boteach said Friday on the "Today" show. "I think he was just going through the motions of life toward the end."
Boteach said he and Jackson recorded the tapes with the idea of giving the public a more accurate image of the reclusive entertainer. Boteach said he soured on the book — originally slated for release in 2003 — after Jackson failed to adhere to the recovery programs they had worked out for his public image and private self. The friendship ended with Jackson's second arrest on charges of sexually abusing a child. Boteach said he resurrected the project after Jackson died because attitudes toward him had softened.
In conversations, Jackson is quick to see himself as a victim and quick to criticize relatives — especially his father, who, Jackson said, beat him with an electric cord.
"He was rough," Jackson says of his father. "The way he would beat you hard, you know, was hard."
Ken Sunshine, a spokesman for the Jackson family, said Friday: "We will not dignify this with a comment."
The book makes it clear Jackson was interested in women sexually but very shy. He tells Boteach he had never asked a woman out on a date, although he admitted to having sexually charged phone conversations with Madonna.
In recounting one conversation, he said: "Madonna laid down the law to me before we went out," saying, "'I am not going to Disneyland, okay? That's out.'"
Jackson said Madonna was jealous of him because his female fans screamed and swooned while her male fans were less demonstrative. He recalled her crying in admiration at one of his concerts.
When contacted Friday, Madonna's spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, said, "Madonna has very fond feelings for Michael Jackson, and I don't think anything in the book is going to change that."
Associated Press Television Writer Frazier Moore in New York contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Mike Madonna is more classy than you thought , dude! But he believed she was in love with him , well she must have told him something that made them feel that way, not that it was a real secret

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hTLwdVnXl1bkiA8wOqeAxx-1DW-

I'll watch it (it starts in a half an hour here in NY) and if there's anything interesting I'll tell you about it. He also talks about Madonna and here's an article about the tapes and what he said about Madonna:

2s13fau.jpg

The King of Pop befriended the singer in the early 1990s and several dates followed, but Jackson revealed he never had any romantic interest in her during a taped conversation with his close friend Rabbi Shmuley Boteach.

Jackson told Boteach, "I think she (Madonna) likes shock value and she knows how to push buttons on people. I think she was sincerely in love with me and I was not in love with her. She did a lot of crazy things. I knew we had nothing in common.

"She is not sexy at all. I think sexy comes from the heart in the way you present yourself."

The Thriller icon believed Madonna was one of several stars who envied his fame: "They admire you and know you are wonderful and great because they are jealous, because they wish they were in your shoes. Madonna is one of them. She is jealous. She is a girl, a woman and I think that's what bothers her...

"I get the fainting and adulation and she doesn't."

The star went on to confess he had considered dating actress Elizabeth Taylor but feared the media would mock their 27-year age gap.

He said, "I know that if we ever did anything romantically the press would be so mean and nasty and call us the Odd Couple. It would turn into a circus and that's the pain of it all."

Jackson also described the late Princess Diana as his ideal woman: "I thought she was very special - very feminine and classy. She was my type for sure, and I don't like most girls. There are very few I like who fit the mould. It takes a very special mould to make me happy and she was one of them."

Boteach, who is publishing the conversations, maintains Jackson wanted the footage to be released to the public so his fans could gain a better understanding of his personal life.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/39514557.html#cutid1
"They admire you and know you are wonderful and great because they are jealous, because they wish they were in your shoes. Madonna is one of them. ( i must clearfy that after saying it Michael said "i hate to say this on tape") is not like he liked saying it

When contacted Friday, Madonna's spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, said, "Madonna has very fond feelings for Michael Jackson, and I don't think anything in the book is going to change that."
Associated Press Television Writer Frazier Moore in New York contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Mike Madonna is more classy than you thought , dude! But he believed she was in love with him , well she must have told him something that made them feel that way, not that it was a real secret

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hTLwdVnXl1bkiA8wOqeAxx-1DW-
actually Madonna changed a lot since Michael knew her, she became classy after:)

Some fans are just hilarious...listen to his voice. Who are we kidding?

anyway, I refuse to watch that trash. And I am sure, MJ would be appalled at what this man is doing. I am usually hard on the Jackson family, but tonight I really feel bad for them. That horrible rabbi is using their own son's words to shame them.
MJ seem to have forgiven his father, I don't see the point (beside money of course) of airing these decade old tapes.

I think you're being a little bit harsh.
There are some out there who are still struggling with Michael's passing, and take comfort in hearing him speak about himself and his views in his own voice, rather than trying to sift through "he said/she said" bullshit.

Why does it matter if the tapes are a decade old?
Personally, I'd be fascinated to hear tapes from 1980 if they surfaced. Still interesting to me.

Anyway, I'll be watching and I'll try to update you guys who can't view it if I can keep up.
If you do watch it, just remember to take everything this guy says with a grain of salt.
Obviously.

I'm watching it. Really right now, what happens, happens, there is nothing we can do about it. just go with the flow.....unfortunately :coffee:

I think you're being a little bit harsh.
There are some out there who are still struggling with Michael's passing, and take comfort in hearing him speak about himself and his views in his own voice, rather than trying to sift through "he said/she said" bullshit.

Why does it matter if the tapes are a decade old?
Personally, I'd be fascinated to hear tapes from 1980 if they surfaced. Still interesting to me.

Anyway, I'll be watching and I'll try to update you guys who can't view it if I can keep up.
If you do watch it, just remember to take everything this guy says with a grain of salt.
Obviously.
Thanks, but dont miss it, better late but accurate:)

Interesting what he said about the mannequins he had in his home. They were his "friends". He had them around so he wouldn't be lonely....

God that breaks my hearts...

Back