Sony Pictures Releasing to Distribute Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT to Digital IMAX(R) Theatres

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Sony Pictures Releasing to Distribute Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT to Digital IMAX® Theatres Beginning October 28, 2009
Press Release
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sony-Pictures-Releasing-to-pz-3949686063.html?x=0&.v=1
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 25, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- IMAX Corporation (Nasdaq:IMAX - News) (TSX:IMX - News) and Sony Pictures Releasing today announced that the highly-anticipated motion picture Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT will be released for a special run in select digital IMAX® theatres worldwide during the film's limited two-week engagement in thousands of theatres globally starting on October 28, 2009. The film's domestic run at select digital IMAX theatres will be for evening showtimes starting at approximately 9 PM Pacific Standard Time, beginning Tuesday, October 27, 2009. Tickets for the worldwide release go on sale for most locations this Sunday, September 27th at 12:01 AM. To find out which IMAX locations have the film, visit www.imax.com.

THIS IS IT will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

"The combination of the never seen before rehearsal footage of Michael Jackson preparing for his sold-out London concerts, more than 25 world premieres and special IMAX engagements makes this a once-in-a-lifetime event for moviegoers, music lovers and Michael Jackson fans," said Rory Bruer, President, Worldwide Distribution for Sony Pictures Releasing.

"The rollout of our new digital IMAX locations is expanding the range and frequency of IMAX content available to moviegoers worldwide," said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond. "Our partnership with Sony Pictures Entertainment is growing with our theatre network, and we're looking forward to continued success with them as we open more theatres and release more films."

"We're very excited to participate in this special event, where IMAX audiences and fans of Michael Jackson will feel the energy of his talents," added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "Sony Pictures Entertainment knows how to create an event on a global scale, and their use of our new digital IMAX locations internationally demonstrates how major studios can take advantage of our network in new and exciting ways."

Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT will offer Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this summer in London's O2 Arena. Chronicling the months from March through June, 2009, the film is produced with the full support of the Estate of Michael Jackson and drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show. Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at Jackson as he has never been seen before. In raw and candid detail, Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT captures the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, creative genius, and great artist at work as he creates and perfects his final show. Kenny Ortega, who was both Michael Jackson's creative partner and the director of the stage show, is also directing the film, which is being produced by Randy Phillips, Kenny Ortega and Paul Gongaware. Executive producers are John Branca and John McClain. The film will be distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures Releasing. For more information about the film please visit www.thisisit-movie.com.

About Sony Pictures Entertainment

Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America (SCA), a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in more than 130 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at www.sonypictures.com.

About IMAX Corporation

IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies, specializing in immersive motion picture technologies. The worldwide IMAX network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event Hollywood films around the globe, with IMAX theatres delivering the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX, IMAX® 3D, and IMAX DMR technology. IMAX DMR is the Company's groundbreaking digital re-mastering technology that allows it to digitally transform virtually any conventional motion picture into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. The IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive entertainment experiences for consumers. As of June 30, 2009, there were 394 IMAX theatres (273 commercial, 121 institutional) operating in 44 countries.

OMG this is a dream for an audiophile like meee!!! n also the video equivalent...too bad im prolly not gonna get to see it anyways -_- lol

Any news if the BFI IMAX in London is showing this? No sign of it on their website. The Wimbledon IMAX has it listed but from what I gather their screen is isn't much larger than a standard screen (it's just been converted to IMAX Digital rather than the full IMAX experience)

ive searched the london websites but it doesnt say anything bout it being there yet.......
but its early days :)

does this mean there will be 3D elements or am i missing the point?

The CLOSEST IMAX near me is in st.louis at the Science Center and i be very surpise they show it there. And then the next one is like more than 40 miles from me.

I also want to know whether the London IMAX will show it...am planning my birthday and so far want to go to the Michael Jackson exhibition at the 02 Bubble, to see TII and to go to see the 'Avenue Q' musical :)

Damn Sweden!!

We've only got one Imax theatre in Stockholm.. But it doesn't show this type of movies.. Only natural science/environmental science documentaries..

hope we get it here, I doubt it but *fingers crossed*

Sony Pictures Releasing to Distribute Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT to Digital IMAX® Theatres Beginning October 28, 2009
Press Release
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sony-Pictures-Releasing-to-pz-3949686063.html?x=0&.v=1
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 25, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- IMAX Corporation (Nasdaq:IMAX - News) (TSX:IMX - News) and Sony Pictures Releasing today announced that the highly-anticipated motion picture Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT will be released for a special run in select digital IMAX® theatres worldwide during the film's limited two-week engagement in thousands of theatres globally starting on October 28, 2009. The film's domestic run at select digital IMAX theatres will be for evening showtimes starting at approximately 9 PM Pacific Standard Time, beginning Tuesday, October 27, 2009. Tickets for the worldwide release go on sale for most locations this Sunday, September 27th at 12:01 AM. To find out which IMAX locations have the film, visit www.imax.com.

THIS IS IT will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

"The combination of the never seen before rehearsal footage of Michael Jackson preparing for his sold-out London concerts, more than 25 world premieres and special IMAX engagements makes this a once-in-a-lifetime event for moviegoers, music lovers and Michael Jackson fans," said Rory Bruer, President, Worldwide Distribution for Sony Pictures Releasing.

"The rollout of our new digital IMAX locations is expanding the range and frequency of IMAX content available to moviegoers worldwide," said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond. "Our partnership with Sony Pictures Entertainment is growing with our theatre network, and we're looking forward to continued success with them as we open more theatres and release more films."

"We're very excited to participate in this special event, where IMAX audiences and fans of Michael Jackson will feel the energy of his talents," added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "Sony Pictures Entertainment knows how to create an event on a global scale, and their use of our new digital IMAX locations internationally demonstrates how major studios can take advantage of our network in new and exciting ways."

Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT will offer Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this summer in London's O2 Arena. Chronicling the months from March through June, 2009, the film is produced with the full support of the Estate of Michael Jackson and drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show. Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at Jackson as he has never been seen before. In raw and candid detail, Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT captures the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, creative genius, and great artist at work as he creates and perfects his final show. Kenny Ortega, who was both Michael Jackson's creative partner and the director of the stage show, is also directing the film, which is being produced by Randy Phillips, Kenny Ortega and Paul Gongaware. Executive producers are John Branca and John McClain. The film will be distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures Releasing. For more information about the film please visit www.thisisit-movie.com.

About Sony Pictures Entertainment

Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America (SCA), a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in more than 130 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at www.sonypictures.com.

About IMAX Corporation

IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies, specializing in immersive motion picture technologies. The worldwide IMAX network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event Hollywood films around the globe, with IMAX theatres delivering the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX, IMAX® 3D, and IMAX DMR technology. IMAX DMR is the Company's groundbreaking digital re-mastering technology that allows it to digitally transform virtually any conventional motion picture into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. The IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive entertainment experiences for consumers. As of June 30, 2009, there were 394 IMAX theatres (273 commercial, 121 institutional) operating in 44 countries.

Get the hell outta here! Is this for real?! :bugeyed

I'm in Northern VA, and the closest to me is Alexandria...well, There's one in wood bridge and DC too...anyone in Northern VA?
Yes, I am. My guess is Hoffman 22 will show it but in my opinion IMAX is a rip-off unless what is being shown was specifically filmed with IMAX cameras. This Is It wasn't filmed with IMAX.

I sent them a email about, I hope they show it on the worlds largest Imax screen (since the Sydney one has the largest in the world).

yup! I hope so...tried to find info on their page...none yet...will you PM me when you get a response? ta

For some reason my theater isn't listing any IMAX showings, yet is has an IMAX theater lol..... but then again, Fandango is currently claiming only one theater is showing TII, which I know for a fact is not true since I booked tickets at other theaters on those same days via another site lol

For some reason my theater isn't listing any IMAX showings, yet is has an IMAX theater lol..... but then again, Fandango is currently claiming only one theater is showing TII, which I know for a fact is not true since I booked tickets at other theaters on those same days via another site lol

Yeah it's the same deal with my theater lol

The CLOSEST IMAX near me is in st.louis at the Science Center and i be very surpise they show it there. And then the next one is like more than 40 miles from me.

wow u live in Missouri too.:) lol I never thought I would see anybody from where I live be on here.

hope Sydney is showing it !

If so....forget the regular theater!!! I'd LOVE to see this on IMAX. If they get it wanna go?? :dancin:

Update:
I talked to Hoyts and their theaters equiped with IMAX screens ARE going to show TII in the digital IMAX!
In Sydney, Hoyts in Moore Park will have it. I can't even imagine what this would look like on an IMAX screen....

Last edited:
Yes Imax in Glasgow and london but not Manchester where I am :(

This is my issue too, but I think my Imax already has Where the Wild Things are starting 10/16, so I hope they make room to show certain shows of TII IMax showings.

Back