What was the media/tv/internet like the day Michael died?

ForeverKOP

Proud Member
When i found out michael died, i refused to watch the news, go on the computer or listen the radio for about 2 weeks until the july 7th memorial service. I don't know what came over me but i just didn't want to do anything and i just sat there listening to his music on my ipod ALL day for 2 weeks. Although there's never a good time for such a tragedy to happen, i'm glad it didn't happen during school days, because i would be a mess! Well i didn't watch the news or anything so can someone explain to me what i missed? Everyone said there was coverage of him 24/7, and he was on tv and on the internet and radio constantly...but what did they say? i mean they can't just keep saying he's dead he's dead, what did they show? what was it like on tv? like say cnn, did they just keep saying he's dead? like did they do reruns every 10 minutes? what more is there left to say that he's dead? i missed the most important day about him and i feel kinda guilty that i tried to ignore it too. lol lemme rephrase my question. What was TV like the day michael jackson died, because everyone says the media did too much....well i didn't see any of it =(. I know people are saying there was coverage on him 24/7, but what do they really mean by that? what did they show to you, like the hospital or the fans or something? what was one of the things that they showed most that your remember? like did they talk about his life since he started performing and stuff? i want details lol. man i wish i didn't ignore what was happening outside my room! =( THANKS!

i know that was repetitive and had a question every other sentence. sorry =P.

He broke the internet. I remember going onto Twitter and Facebook and it kept crashing. When I logged onto Facebook my whole home page was covered in status' about MJ. My generation grew up with him at his peak, it was just amazing in a way to see how we were all at the moment united in grief. Sky News was on in our living room continuously with my whole family sitting and watching the updates-the last time that happened was 7/7. I didn't see much coverage after as I went on holiday to Berlin with my friends a few days later. Our last night however was June 7th and we spent it watching the memorial. We bought a bottle of champagne and did a toast to Michael on our balcony.

I thought this was gonna be data pertaining to the news of his passing breaking the internet and teevee talking heads losing their damn minds. That is what I choose to remember anything else I will become a crying wreck.

the internet didn't move. Michael was so loved by everyone he made everything come to a stand still. I watched the shows to confirm that he had passed but after that maybe a week after i decided to stop watching CNN and the news outlets because it simply wasn't worth High Blood Pressure.

the internet didn't move. Michael was so loved by everyone he made everything come to a stand still. I watched the shows to confirm that he had passed but after that maybe a week after i decided to stop watching CNN and the news outlets because it simply wasn't worth High Blood Pressure.

what did they show for that first week? and what do u mean he stopped the internet? like server overloads?

the world as I knew it stopped ... and the internet stalled !!

I actually wasn't online, but watched the cable outlets from 6pm 6/25 until the next day. I didn't stop watching the news until like that monday.....

Actually, in my memory at least, the news was pretty positive then. The hospital where he was brought, the ambulance driving VERY SLOWLY ( wtf ????) backwards and away, his brother Jermaine giving the press conference about his death, fans in agony, crying and putting signs and flowers at Neverland, his Hollywood star, and his music and videos or clips were shown 24/7. Also, the viewer was shown how fans in the USA, UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Holland, Spain, Greece, Italy, Brazil, Africa, Japan, China, basically everywhere were mourning and very young fans were shown moonwalking, The Apollo theater in NY was shown a lot. Famous and non-famous people were interviewed about their feeling on Michael's passing. His extraordinary performances and achievements were conmemorated and he was referred to as a Legend, Icon, Hero, One of a kind. The initial reactions were very pure, speaking from the heart. The world was in shock. An era had ended and there would never be another Michael Jackson. imitators and impersonators sure plenty of those but there is only one true MJ.
Many things that I saw on the news touched me profoundly and it comforted me to know that I was not the only one with such an intense reaction to his passing.

Soon after the shock though the speculation began, about the custody, about the money, actual cause of death, drugs. And in their haste for the big bucks looming at the horizon, you could clearly tell that reseacrh, checking stories and backgrounds for truth and honesty began to give way to GREED and 15-minutes of FAME.

It was nuts. Radio stations were playing his songs literally non stop. As in huge popular radio stations with millions of viewers setting aside their normal plans and dedicating the hour, or entire night to 100% pure MJ. People were calling in crying on every station. Every channel on TV was talking about it. It was so big that my local news station that barely spends 5 minutes on International News dedicated the first 15 minutes of the entire newscast to Jackson.

People were in shopping malls, grocery stores, and restaurants crying and gossiping. You couldn't miss it no matter where you were. People were calling each other and texting spreading the news.

I was at my ex girlfriends high school graduation and the entire graduating class was texting and whispering about it.

I can honestly say in my entire life, I have never witnessed such a huge event by the media/public. You literally could not escape it. Every form of media dedicated their newscast/radio show/website to Jackson.

In fact, I took screenshots of all the major websites in North America around the fist 24 hours to 1 week when Jackson passed. I have over 50 images saved on my computer and will be opening a thread for fans to see the huge Internet out pouring during the first few days of MJ's death.

It was nuts. Radio stations were playing his songs literally non stop. As in huge popular radio stations with millions of viewers setting aside their normal plans and dedicating the hour, or entire night to 100% pure MJ. People were calling in crying on every station. Every channel on TV was talking about it. It was so big that my local news station that barely spends 5 minutes on International News dedicated the first 15 minutes of the entire newscast to Jackson.

People were in shopping malls, grocery stores, and restaurants crying and gossiping. You couldn't miss it no matter where you were. People were calling each other and texting spreading the news.

I was at my ex girlfriends high school graduation and the entire graduating class was texting and whispering about it.

I can honestly say in my entire life, I have never witnessed such a huge event by the media/public. You literally could not escape it. Every form of media dedicated their newscast/radio show/website to Jackson.

In fact, I took screenshots of all the major websites in North America around the fist 24 hours to 1 week when Jackson passed. I have over 50 images saved on my computer and will be opening a thread for fans to see the huge Internet out pouring during the first few days of MJ's death.

oooh could u put those pics up? soon?

The only thing I can compare MJ's death to is 9/11.

It was like Obi Wan Kenobi said when Empire blew up Alderaan:

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced." ―Obi-Wan after feeling the Destruction of Alderaan[src]

That's what it felt like.

Oh man...reading all this just made this awful feeling come back again. Havin' a mental breakdown here....god, WHY?! :cry:

The internet (mine anyway) was painfully slow...Michael almost broke the internet. So many people were trying to get on it at once.
Almost every news station had it on too. Especially my local stations.
For me, it felt like the earth stopped. Really, it was a dark, sad day...
That day was pretty much insane and I can't believe how clearly I remember it...

Once I found out he was actually hospitalized, I didn't even bother visiting MJJC. I stayed away from any MJ-related sites. Waiting for them to ultimately crash would've been frustrating enough. I was in denial until MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, BET, and hell, even ESPN broke the news that he had died. EVERY (and I do mean EVERY) radio station played his music. I watched it all until I finally fell asleep, and I woke up to it all over again. It just seemed like one big, unbelievable, neverending nightmare.

Oh man...reading all this just made this awful feeling come back again. Havin' a mental breakdown here....god, WHY?! :cry:

Same here. All I did that night was just stay in my MJ room cry and just be in my MJ sites. Which I really had no problem being in them. I guess maybe because I was using wireless internet connection. I had tried to avoid watching the news channels. And just watch channels like the Animal Planet and the HIStory channels instead. I just practically cried myself to sleep that night. That maybe just maybe that when I wake up from this extremely horrible nightmare. That Michael will be alive and well. But it turns out that is was really true. When I had put the tv back on. And went back in to my MJ sites. I am crying now just thinking about that horrible day. OMG do I ever so miss him.

I'm crying too now. I got a text message when I was asleep from a family member - it was a forward of something a friend had sent to her - it said 'Rumour; MJ has died in LA'. It woke me up, and I thought 'oh, that's bullshit - they're just trying to sabotage the TII shows' and put my phone down and sort of fazed out in a half asleep way. then i thought, hmmm, I'll get up and check MJJC - and it did not look good at all, then facebook and twitter crashed and I went to my partner and said 'oh no, i think I could be really bad' and she goes why and I said ' they are saying Michael has died' so she said put on the TV. so i put on the TV and then saw the crowd around the hospital, the photos of Katherine arriving etc and the words 'michael jackson dead at 50' and then I started wobbling on my feet and nearly fainted and then started crying non-stop. Then everything went upside down and the media saturation was ENORMOUS.

I don't know about the internet because I didn't go on there until the day after he died.

I remember my brother rushing into the room with his laptop in his hands with a really odd expression on his face that immediately made my stomach drop, and he just said really quietly "I don't think we're going to be seeing MJ in August" and passed me his laptop with the TMZ page on the screen.
I really didn't believe it at first and ran downstairs to put Sky News on and a huge red banner was on the screen that said "MICHAEL JACKSON IS DEAD"

I think it was about maybe 11pm at this time and they kept saying there was no official confirmation as of yet but were reporting he suffered from a heart attack. They kept showing UCLA medical centre but there weren't that many people outside just yet.
I don't remember a lot else between then and later that night because I mostly just sat there in stunned silence, I literally couldn't move. I stayed up until 4:30 in the morning just staring at the TV. They didn't move on to any other news, they just did updates on Michael all night. They showed the UCLA medical centre all the time and there was gradually more and more fans there. There was newsreporters from LA saying they had seen the ambulence, and later they showed footage of it outside his house. They had montages on aswell of his music videos and live performances, I don't think they had a lot of information at this time.
And then Jermaine came out for a press conference and that's when it all sank in for me and I burst into tears.

The next day I remember it was just EVERYWHERE. Luckily I was off from college that day but I went to get the newspaper in the morning and Michael's face was just everywhere with "*****: DEAD" or "Michael Jackson, dead at 50" all over the place and I started crying again.
I got home and turned on the TV and everything was about Michael. Some morning talk shows were just discusing how shocking it was and were asking viewers to send in their thoughts and others were talking about his music, they're favourite Michael songs or videos etc. Every single person seemed to be in total shock that day you could see it on their faces.
Every single music channel were playing his videos on repeat and every radio show were blasting his songs out. In the evening there were a few Michael programmes on (which must have been put together extremely quickly) like "The Michael Jackson Story" documenting his life..and death.

It was like this for a solid month. I went out shopping one day and all the stores were playing his songs. I went past HMV and the whole of the front window was covered in his CDs, DVDs, posters and magazines.

The whole world stopped in shock the weeks after his death. Everyone was in mourning.

Once I found out he was actually hospitalized, I didn't even bother visiting MJJC. I stayed away from any MJ-related sites. Waiting for them to ultimately crash would've been frustrating enough. I was in denial until MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, BET, and hell, even ESPN broke the news that he had died. EVERY (and I do mean EVERY) radio station played his music. I watched it all until I finally fell asleep, and I woke up to it all over again. It just seemed like one big, unbelievable, neverending nightmare.

Exactly!

I got a message from another mod telling me to get on MJJC. MJ had been taken to the hospital... I refused to believe it was serious, it seemed too unreal. I was at work so I had no access to TV, had to follow it online along with other staff members, it was like being in a nightmare, I was crying so bad that I had to go home, I got in the car and EVERY single radio station was playing MJ, I couldn't take it, turned it off.
Got home to watch CNN, LKL was on... everyone in my family came over to hug me and cry a little with me :cry:
Decided to go to my room to be alone, cried myself to sleep, woke up the next morning and it was everywhere again, I couldn't escape it... I had hoped it was all just a bad dream or a cruel joke, but it wasn't it was real and I couldn't run away from it.
The next following weeks were more of the same, news non stop, radios paying tributes... crazy, I thought I was in the twilight zone.

ok so basically he was everywhere on tv, the computer, the radio, and stores...When did all the media coverage start slowing down? was it after the memorial service? can u guys give me some type of a time line? like june 25th they talked about his death, 26th there were tributes...or something like that. much appreciated!

It was all pretty much non stop coverage until after the memorial service.

It slowed down slightly after that, although they would still mention him on the news every day, usually about new insights on the drug investigations. There was a lot about Dr. Conrad Murray.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that a lot of the news coverage in the recent days after his death was the reporters talking to different celebrities about how Michael's death had affected them and if they were musicians, how he influenced their career.

Back