Pop Vox: Brace for an upset? Five Things to Know about TII

MsMo

Proud Member
Five Things to Know About the Michael Jackson Movie

He's still got it. The upcoming movie Michael Jackson's This Is It, due out a full month from now, has blown past several sellout benchmarks, outpacing Harry Potter and Twilight in sold-out shows, according to a rep for MovieTickets.com. It's also walloping the Hannah Montana concert movie, per Fandango. Each site reports hundreds upon hundreds of sold-out shows—over 700 showings of the film are already sold out.

Pop Vox has the answers to five panicky questions you're having right now:

When can I see it? Not until Oct. 28—which is what makes these sell-outs so unprecedented. Most movies don't sell out 500-plus theaters until the last week before they're released (if ever). On MovieTickets, This Is It hit 100 sellouts on the first day it went on sale (Monday), and throttled up to 500 by Wednesday. "The ticketing trend shows no signs of abating," Rick Butler, Fandango's chief operating officer, said in an e-mail from the site.

How long is it out? Just for two weeks—a limited platform that's helping to account for some of the pre-sale mass hysteria, the site analysts say. It's also being marketed as the biggest music event of the year. After initially slotting the "special, limited, two-week, worldwide engagement" for an Oct. 30 opening—a conventional Friday release—Sony moved the film to a Wednesday night release, something typically reserved for huge blockbusters. Which, inarguably, This Is It is shaping up to be.

What the heck is this movie—a concert or a documentary? It's both. Parts of it are a 3D concert movie, showing clips from the 50-date tour that Jackson was set to start over the summer. And the rest is a kind of eulogizing documentary, with footage culled from over 100 hours of film that AEG Live sold to Sony Pictures. (Those 100 hours were filmed during concert rehearsals throughout the spring and early summer).

Who's directing it? Kenny Ortega, the same man who brought you the High School Musicals and who was, at the time of Jackson's death, overseeing his tour. "As we began assembling the footage for the motion picture, we realized we captured something extraordinary, unique and very special," he said in August. "It's a very private, exclusive look into a creative genius' world."

Michael is big, but will he beat Miley? :smilerolleyes: As her alter ego Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus holds the record for best-performing concert movie. Her Best of Both Worlds 3D movie earned $31.1 million, with a per-theater average of over $45,000. And yet, to-date, This Is It is outpacing Best of Both Worlds in pre-sales quite significantly.

Brace for an upset (or would it be the expected outcome?).

Newsweek

Last edited:
Re: Pop Vox: Brace for an upset (or would it be the expected outcome?)

I am excited and looking forward to seeing the movie...but I keep asking myself "what's next?". I feel like that movie will really be the end.

Re: Pop Vox: Brace for an upset (or would it be the expected outcome?)

I am excited and looking forward to seeing the movie...but I keep asking myself "what's next?". I feel like that movie will really be the end.

yeah me too....but maybe we will get some type of album...maybe we will get to hear some of Michael's unreleased stuff.....who knows...I feel as though after This is it.....this IS the end...so so sad..:(

i expected nothing less, when he was alive he broke every record, and even after his passing he is continuing to do it, there will never be anyone like him again. :(

Why are we "bracing for an upset"? That line seems out of context with the rest of the (positive) article.

i expected nothing less, when he was alive he broke every record, and even after his passing he is continuing to do it, there will never be anyone like him again. :(

Yes Michael has and will always break records because he was and is always the best - he's unbeatable and unstoppable even now. Its upsetting though cos although this is really positive, I would rather have our Michael back on this earth with us then have records broken....feeling so sad again. I miss him.

Why are we "bracing for an upset"? That line seems out of context with the rest of the (positive) article.

It is and that's the funny part...

Michael is big, but what? Miley :blink:

...like are they serious? :doh:

;)

"Upset" in this case I believe means an underdog victory--like when a sports team that wasn't expected to win, wins. The author thinks that This Is It wasn't expected to do well, and it looks like it's going to do well.

"Upset" in this case I believe means an underdog victory--like when a sports team that wasn't expected to win, wins. The author thinks that This Is It wasn't expected to do well, and it looks like it's going to do well.

That makes sense.

It's funny that when a non-fan labels MJ as an underdog that's not expected to do well, the fans are confused and don't understand. Only a non-fan would think of MJ as an underdog - the rest of us know better. I agree with Big DB's post.

Why are they saying its in 3D, Kenny has already said that the film won't be in 3D. I think they are getting confused with the fact that 3D footage was filmed for the concerts but it won't be featured in 3D in the cinema.

It's incredible that 700 showings of the film have been sold out already. I expect there to be 1000 showings sold out prior to release because there will probably be a hike in interest the week prior to release when the trailers will be shown on tv etc.

Last edited:
Excuse me, This is the KING OF POP MICHAEL F*CKING JACKSON did people really think he would fail in this?
Hello? This is the same man who broke all the records that still hold his name from the 80's. If he flops, then so does everyone else.
If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be talking about lil Miley.

Back