Blood on the Dance Floor Song Meaning--Am I Slow???

ArabianGirl~AllTheTime

Proud Member
So.. as old as this song as and as long as I have been listening to it.. I think I juss figured out the meaning.. and I pointed it out to my brother last night and he was like OH!!!! But I dont know if im right about it. When he says "Susie got your number" does that mean that she knows when hes gonna die?? like when someone knows theyre gonna die they say my number is up...lol I really hope im not slow!!! I always thought she had his fone number.. lol.. but that makes more sense that she's gonna kill him.. and i know that in the song he says that shes out to get him and stuff but i never realized that that's what the line means.

It's funny you mention the meaning of this song because I was trying to figure out the meaning as well, recently. I was wondering if it referred to AIDS. Susie represents AIDS and the guys are taking their chances fooling around and then later regret it because Susie/AIDS had their number. I think about blood because it's in the title. I may be totally off on this, but that's what had me wondering.

Last edited:
thats a really interesting way to look at it!! thats why MJ is amazing.. he makes u think about everything!!

There's a site that I love to browse through called "SongMeanings" where you can search for lyrics and see people's comments on what the lyrics mean.
Here's the url to Michael's profile there:
http://www.songmeanings.net/artist/view/songs/45/

I personally really don't know what the song is about, but I like "frostypeanut's" answer, which makes me also think of "Superfly Sister":

"Every hot man is out takin' a chance
It's not about love and romance "

I think this song is about promiscuity and how relationships now are different from how they were back in the day. Now it's just about sleeping with as many people as possible, with no relationship involved. And everybody thinks they're safe and they're gonna be okay until something happens, like an STD or a pregnancy or a woman who won't leave you alone.

"To escape the world I've got to enjoy that simple dance"
Mike's likened sex to dancing before. Remember Billie Jean? "We danced on the floor in the round"?
He's talking about sex as an escape, but it's also dangerous.

I read somewhere that BOTDF is indeed about AIDS. I would have to go with what LatinoDude posted.

I think its more than just AIDS. It's lust and the coldness of sleeping around without the intent of a real relationship and the dangers that can lead to...

A weird fact about the song is that the day Teddy Riley did the beat to "Blood On The Dance Floor" that same day Teddy Riley's friend Damian Hall's (from the group "Guy") bodyguard got killed.
But the weirdest part is that Teddy didn't have a name for it, but Michael himself named it "Blood On The Dancefloor"
Teddy talks about it 3:45 into this video:

But I don't think it has anything to do with that since it was Bill Bottrell (who produced "Who Is It" & "Give Into Me") who inspired the track name to Michael.

Last edited:
A weird fact about the song is that the day Teddy Riley did the beat to "Blood On The Dance Floor" that same day Teddy Riley's friend Damian Hall's (from the group "Guy") bodyguard got killed.
But the weirdest part is that Teddy didn't have a name for it, but Michael himself named it "Blood On The Dancefloor"
Teddy talks about it 3:45 into this video:

But I don't think it has anything to do with that since it was Bill Bottrell (who produced "Who Is It" & "Give Into Me") who inspired the track name to Michael.

oooo spooky connection. BODF album sold really well over here in the UK, I read today............that's why I clicked to read this thread as been thinking about that album alot today....... so have others....funnily enough.........someone's face book status is 7 inches in!!! :doh:
Soz that was a random pointless comment if ever there was one! ( mine)

Hi, not sure if you all have seen this but Michael talks about the song here:

2s8r7g7.jpg

Whoa there...Teddy Riley didn't come up with Blood On The Dancefloor as a title. He's not even MJ's engineer, so that was a blatant mistake by whoever wrote that in the scan above.

Refer to the BOTDF album...it was inspired by Bill Bottrell...MJ's engineer.

And BOTDF certainly isn't about AIDS. Even the video doesn't suggest AIDS, but it does suggest something ELSE entirely to do with relationships. Thinking cap time!

I have a completely different interpretation of this song. I think it is about a woman who lure men to their death and He was willing to risk it all to catch her.

Susie got your number
And Susie ain't your friend
Look who took you under
With seven inches in ahem......

Thanks for that article, Cloudy! That cleared up my curiosity. I love these kind of discussions. I love to read or hear about everyone's personal interpretations of songs.

Back