What did Bill Cosby say about Michael?

elmari

Proud Member
I know he said something after Michael passed, but it didn't get picked up by the media because it was only in a magazine. I think remember reading a quote from Bill Cosby in the Ebony September issue that was dedicated to Michael. It was the red cover with 'Michael: Our Icon'.

If someone has this magazine, can they post what Bill said? Thanks!

I recently read a comment about Michael from Kareem Abdul Jabbar that said that Bill Cosby would pick up the Jackson kids every Sunday and take them to play some basketball and that he (Kareem) would join them sometimes, if he didn't have a game to play that day. So it seems to me that Bill Cosby was close to the Jacksons.

I know he said something after Michael passed, but it didn't get picked up by the media because it was only in a magazine. I think remember reading a quote from Bill Cosby in the Ebony September issue that was dedicated to Michael. It was the red cover with 'Michael: Our Icon'.

I recently read a comment about Michael from Kareem Abdul Jabbar that said that Bill Cosby would pick up the Jackson kids every Sunday and take them to play some basketball and that he (Kareem) would join them sometimes, if he didn't have a game to play that day. So it seems to me that Bill Cosby was close to the Jacksons.

I did see that in the J5 days that he was on going back to Indiana thing when he played the reporter. But I don't know how close he was to them.

I think Bill did a lot of stuff with the Jackson 5 in the early 1970s. I remember the 'Going back to Indiana' TV special, the Jackson 5 TV special, then stuff on variety shows. They would always do sketches together.

IDK. . . I was surprised that we didn't hear anything from Bill Cosby earlier. But I know he did say something about Michael in that Ebony issue.

I have a picture somewhere that I downloaded from the Man In The Mirror section of this site, of Michael and Bill Cosby together in a photoshoot from the late 1980's.

I do remember that Cosby episode where they excited about going to see a Michael Jackson concert.

I had no idea about that! Kareem is awesome; he's one of my favorite players. Anybody have an update on the Cosby quote?

Kareem said something like how he knows how hard it is to have to much attention on u at all time and hopes that MJ is at peace now.

Thats really sweet, Maybe Bill could see that Michael wasn't having a "normal" childhood and was always working and it would be really really good for him if he does something that a "normal" kid does.

I read something about him talking to one of his daughter's friends about the news and she said that (his daughter, I forget her name) was completely in love with him growing up and she thought she was going to marry him and everything and so then Bill confronted her at their next dinner, LoL. I'll try to find it.

Found it!
http://www.wickedlocal.com/scituate...7/-America-s-Dad-pays-a-visit-to-Music-Circus

‘Dad, I want you to meet my fiancé, Michael Jackson’
Before Lisa Marie Presley, before Debbie Rowe, there was Evin Harrah Cosby. Bill Cosby’s fifth of five children was only 8 years old in 1984, when she decided she was going to marry Michael Jackson. As the daughter of the comedy legend, it only made sense that the young girl would set her sights on the singer whose second solo release, “Thriller,” was fast on its way to becoming the biggest-selling album of all time. There were just a few things that stood between Miss Cosby, Mr. Jackson, and the altar – a best friend who also had romantic designs on the one-time lead singer of The Jackson Five and a father who knew nothing about his daughter’s marriage plans. Indeed, the elder Cosby only found out about his would-have-been son-in-law, who passed away on June 25, last month when he came to town to promote his two shows this Saturday at the South Shore Music Circus.

“I had just completed taping a television interview with Shayna Seymour, a reporter and producer on WCVB-TV’s long-running “Chronicle” and Evin Cosby’s longtime friend, when she asked me what I thought about the passing of Michael Jackson and the memorial service which had taken place a few days earlier. I told her that I thought Motown founder Berry Gordy was splendid from what I saw, and then Shayna told me something I don’t think I had ever known before. ‘You know, Mr. Cosby,’ she said, ‘when Evin and I were girls, maybe 7 or 8 years old, we wanted to marry Michael Jackson.’”
Before the man many call “America’s Dad” could catch his breath, Seymour went on to explain that while the pair never even met Michael Jackson, they took the idea of being his bride very seriously.
“Shayna told me that she and my daughter would get into yelling arguments about who was the most worthy to marry Michael. She said they would hurt each other’s feelings and make each other cry, because they were so competitive about marrying Michael.”
On July 12, while celebrating his birthday with his family in Shelburne, Cosby told his now 33-year-old daughter what he had just learned – 25 years after the fact – from her close friend.
“Evin laughed and laughed. She recalled that she and Shayna would tell each other things like ‘Michael Jackson would never marry anyone who looked like you, with your funny toes and funny fingers.’ Then my wife, Camille, reminded me that back in the early 1980s we were always having to remove Michael Jackson stickers from every part of our house, from the walls and ceilings to the fireplace. It was insane, but Evin wanted Michael’s picture on everything.”
And it didn’t stop with stickers.
“My daughter had Michael Jackson posters everywhere, too, until her mother told her, ‘I paid good money for wallpaper and I want to be able to see it. There will be no more Michael Jackson posters in this house. If you want to, you can buy your own house that looks like Michael Jackson, but you won’t put any more posters in this house.’”
Cosby, who appeared with Jackson on a 1974 episode of “The Tonight Show, Starring Johnny Carson” and a few other times over the years, recalls a time when the King of Pop became fodder for his almost-father-in-law’s act.
“There was a point at which I would say to my audiences, Michael Jackson should thank all the parents of his younger fans. These children are screaming and crying for him, but they’re only 7 and 8 years old. They don’t have jobs. They don’t even know how to clean their rooms,” recalls Cosby, who estimates Evin probably attended about 14 Michael Jackson concerts. “I paid big time for all those tickets. There was a time when I felt like I was working for Michael Jackson.”

....Also, I found this - "Fatherhood is telling your daughter that Michael Jackson loves all his fans, but has special feelings for the ones who eat broccoli."

Hahahahahaha. =D Love it.

I remember there was an epsode in season 1 or 2 of the Cosby show in which Theo wanted a designer shirt costing $95 & Bill told him something like when he makes his own money while dancing on the stage w/his four brothers he can have one.

Found it!
http://www.wickedlocal.com/scituate...7/-America-s-Dad-pays-a-visit-to-Music-Circus

Before Lisa Marie Presley, before Debbie Rowe, there was Evin Harrah Cosby. Bill Cosby’s fifth of five children was only 8 years old in 1984, when she decided she was going to marry Michael Jackson. As the daughter of the comedy legend, it only made sense that the young girl would set her sights on the singer whose second solo release, “Thriller,” was fast on its way to becoming the biggest-selling album of all time. There were just a few things that stood between Miss Cosby, Mr. Jackson, and the altar – a best friend who also had romantic designs on the one-time lead singer of The Jackson Five and a father who knew nothing about his daughter’s marriage plans. Indeed, the elder Cosby only found out about his would-have-been son-in-law, who passed away on June 25, last month when he came to town to promote his two shows this Saturday at the South Shore Music Circus.

“I had just completed taping a television interview with Shayna Seymour, a reporter and producer on WCVB-TV’s long-running “Chronicle” and Evin Cosby’s longtime friend, when she asked me what I thought about the passing of Michael Jackson and the memorial service which had taken place a few days earlier. I told her that I thought Motown founder Berry Gordy was splendid from what I saw, and then Shayna told me something I don’t think I had ever known before. ‘You know, Mr. Cosby,’ she said, ‘when Evin and I were girls, maybe 7 or 8 years old, we wanted to marry Michael Jackson.’”
Before the man many call “America’s Dad” could catch his breath, Seymour went on to explain that while the pair never even met Michael Jackson, they took the idea of being his bride very seriously.
“Shayna told me that she and my daughter would get into yelling arguments about who was the most worthy to marry Michael. She said they would hurt each other’s feelings and make each other cry, because they were so competitive about marrying Michael.”
On July 12, while celebrating his birthday with his family in Shelburne, Cosby told his now 33-year-old daughter what he had just learned – 25 years after the fact – from her close friend.
“Evin laughed and laughed. She recalled that she and Shayna would tell each other things like ‘Michael Jackson would never marry anyone who looked like you, with your funny toes and funny fingers.’ Then my wife, Camille, reminded me that back in the early 1980s we were always having to remove Michael Jackson stickers from every part of our house, from the walls and ceilings to the fireplace. It was insane, but Evin wanted Michael’s picture on everything.”
“My daughter had Michael Jackson posters everywhere, too, until her mother told her, ‘I paid good money for wallpaper and I want to be able to see it. There will be no more Michael Jackson posters in this house. If you want to, you can buy your own house that looks like Michael Jackson, but you won’t put any more posters in this house.’”
Cosby, who appeared with Jackson on a 1974 episode of “The Tonight Show, Starring Johnny Carson” and a few other times over the years, recalls a time when the King of Pop became fodder for his almost-father-in-law’s act.
“There was a point at which I would say to my audiences, Michael Jackson should thank all the parents of his younger fans. These children are screaming and crying for him, but they’re only 7 and 8 years old. They don’t have jobs. They don’t even know how to clean their rooms,” recalls Cosby, who estimates Evin probably attended about 14 Michael Jackson concerts. “I paid big time for all those tickets. There was a time when I felt like I was working for Michael Jackson.”

....Also, I found this - "Fatherhood is telling your daughter that Michael Jackson loves all his fans, but has special feelings for the ones who eat broccoli."

Wow this is great thank you for posting I enjoyed reading this atricle.

Julia

That was funny.
Gosh I remember watching the cosby show as a little kid and I had a huge crush on Theo. :wub: That was the time before I had even heard of MJJ.

Found it!

Aw that's really awesome. Loved the article.
Thanks for posting.

Thank you for posting that article Princess Michaela! That was funny to read. But I am sooooooooo surprised that Evin never got to meet Michael. . . she went to 14 concerts and Bill didn't use his connections to try to get Evin backstage to Michael? I am sure Michael would have loved to have met Evin Cosby.

Here is the entire comments from Kareem:

KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR

“Whenever I saw Michael Jackson he seemed to be so fragile and overwhelmed by the circumstances that he had to deal with in his life. My own experience with the corrosive effects of fame and lack of anonymity made me view his circumstances with alot of compassion. I got to know Michael when he was just a boy around 10 years old working with the Jackson Five. My good friend, Bill Cosby use to pick up the Jackson kids on many Sundays to take them to play basketball. When I wasn’t playing for UCLA I would always join them for this Sunday tradition. The Jacksons have always been my supportive friends and my thoughts and prayers are with the family as they mourn their loss.

Michael’s star will continue to shine forever because his talent was stupendous and made him the most well-known entertainer of the late 20th Century. I hope Michael can finally rest in peace.”

I remember there was an epsode in season 1 or 2 of the Cosby show in which Theo wanted a designer shirt costing $95 & Bill told him something like when he makes his own money while dancing on the stage w/his four brothers he can have one.

LOL!!!

That was the Gordon Gatrell shirt!

LOL!!!!!

I remember that episode!

And I so wanted to dress like Denise Huxtable. She was FIERCE!

Back