maybe there's hope for the media yet...

CauseImBad

Proud Member
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/06/25/michael-jackson-taboloids-didnt-say/

At this very moment, supermarket tabloid editors are trying to decide if they're going to immortalize Michael Jackson as a villain or as a hero. Since The National Enquirer is the highest selling print publication in the world, tabloids will surely have an impact on Jackson's legacy.

The deciding criteria will be based solely upon whatever they predict will sell the most copies, and I should know because I used to work for them.

"Do we ever say anything nice about anyone" I once asked my editor at the Globe.

"Sure, when they die," he answered.

So, at least Jackson finally has a chance of being shown a little respect by the so called "magazines" that tormented him throughout his life -- but there are no guarantees.

I hate to sound pessimistic about my former "journalistic" colleagues, but I can't help but feel a touch of deja vu, taking me back to the time I was sent to Aspen to cover the death of John Denver.

Although I was based in Boulder to investigate the murder of JonBenet Ramsey, the Globe occasionally sent me to Colorado resort towns and eventually Los Angeles to chase celebrities.

"So, what's it gonna be?" I asked an editor after John Denver's plane had crashed. "Good guy or bad guy?"

"Bad guy," he said. "John Denver's little girl is flying into Aspen right now, and by the time our story hits the front page I want her crying, crying, crying, you got me?"

I got it all right.

During my time as a tabloid reporter, I witnessed a sadistic streak I'd never seen before. The reporters I worked with undeniably reveled in the pain and humiliation they inflicted upon celebrities and reveled in the power they held over successful people's lives. Shortly after Denver's death, the Globe sent me to Los Angeles where they pressured me to write false stories about former LA prosecutor Christopher Darden and Farrah Fawcett, which I respectfully declined.

A lot of people have suffered from the tip of the poison pen wielded by tabloid reporters and editors, but Michael Jackson certainly earned a monumental place in the supermarket checkout lines, accused of being a diabolical child molester with severe psychological problems.

Sure, Jackson was prosecuted twice, and although this reporter can't acquit him of any charges, he was never convicted of a single crime. He certainly didn't deserve the tabloid innuendos that only fueled a toxic fire that was burning his reputation to a cinder in the court of public opinion.

What the tabloids rarely emphasized were Jackson's countless charitable acts, writing music to raise money in third world countries, donating millions to victims of alcohol and drug abuse, helping underprivileged children, sending young African Americans to college and financing a multi-million dollar burn center.

Jackson was also a pioneer in raising awareness about AIDS. He publicly pleaded with President Clinton at the president's inaugural gala to increase federal spending to combat the disease and travelled to Africa to raise public awareness. In fact, Jackson's charitable and musical accomplishments won him recognition and awards from President Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

When Jackson was accused again in 2005 of child molestation charges, the tabloids were all too willing to imply that he was guilty, but as the prosecution's case progressed, their victim and his mother seemed to lose credibility. Even during Jackson's first prosecution in 1993, the alleged victim's mother insisted the pop star did nothing wrong.

The New York Times once said, "in the world of pop music, there is Michael Jackson and there is everybody else." Perhaps it is fair to say the same for Jackson's lifelong career as a target of the tabloid industry.

We'll never know whether or not Michael Jackson did the horrific things the tabloids accused him of, but we do know all the heroic things he did throughout his lifetime and those are undisputed facts.

We can only hope that this time the tabloids will show an ounce of decency and emphasize the facts as opposed to speculation, which is what real journalists do anyway. Michael Jackson did many altruistic things throughout his lifetime and he deserves to be remembered for them.

Some decisions should be based on more than what sells, and Michael Jackson deserves an accurate place in history. He should, at the very least, not be defamed in death.

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro worked for the Globe tabloid for two years until 1999 when he reported his editors to the FBI and testified against them before a grand jury. He is now a Washington, D.C. based lawyer and reporter and can be reached at jshapiro@ufl.edu.

thank you for sharing this! hope more people get a chance to read this so they can finally start thinking with their own heads! I'm tired of the media trying to shape our minds in a negative way regarding every celebrity out there.

Just shows the power of the media in our society. Makes me fucking sick.

"Bad guy," he said. "John Denver's little girl is flying into Aspen right now, and by the time our story hits the front page I want her crying, crying, crying, you got me?"

Sums it up for me. Journalists are gutless, money hungry parasites. Fuck them. Television and news are the most dangerous mediums that human kind has. I don't care what people say about weapons of mass destruction. The perception of truth is by far more dangerous and impacting. Yet it gets abused on a second to second basis. Bias, exaggeration, lies, deception. This is what the media is built on - otherwise no profits! I'm sorry but journalists to me are the scum of the earth. The media has the power to influence billions of peoples opinions. Billions.

Just think if the media rightfully portrayed Michael as a 'good guy' instead of the 'bad guy' for his entire life. You know how different things would have turned out? This is exactly why I refuse to watch the news, read newspapers or gossip magazines. If I want to hear news I'll hear it through the grapevine, then research is and reach an opinion of it myself. This is why Michael's legacy is hurt so badly. Because to reach the truth with Michael - you have to do more research. And it's not human nature to do extensive research on every celebrity, event or action. The news is there to portray the truth to us. And whatever they say - it sticks.

Boycott the media.

Fuck the press.

P.S

Good on this guy for turning in his editors to the FBI. I missed that bit. Suitable for a crime of abusing the truth. Again it shows how dangerous the media can be.

Last edited:
I to have been wondering which coarse the tabloids will take too. I am hoping a more positive approach, considering the massive fan interest since his death and the fact that the truth must prevail! However, I am not very trusting that the media will just let die their legend of the *****-villain type character they invested so much into and coined "*****". People whether fans or not should be intelligent and sensible enough to not buy their negative garbage. I could only hope.

thanks for posting this article. however I don't think that the tabloids would all of the sudden develop some human decency. Money talks as always. So we fans just need to make sure tabloids would be punished financially if they continue printing trash about Michael.

...this is just sad & disgusting...and what all for money?? sickening.

Thank you CauseImBad for posting this. The legacy project will archive this article!

A friend of mine did two weeks work experience with a tabloid and she said as soon as she left it put her off journalism for life. What these 'journos' do is despicable and they deliberatly make up stories about celebrities. Their attitude? Who cares if its true, the sales from papers are far more than the libel payments they have to shell out.

I don't really bother concerning myself with it the way many people here do. They are just tabloids. Nobody takes them seriously anyways. How many of us believe that Batboy is going to run for President in 2012? Or remember how MJ had a third eye in the back of his head?

Nobody takes em seriously anyways.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/06/25/michael-jackson-taboloids-didnt-say/

During my time as a tabloid reporter, I witnessed a sadistic streak I'd never seen before. The reporters I worked with undeniably reveled in the pain and humiliation they inflicted upon celebrities and reveled in the power they held over successful people's lives. Shortly after Denver's death, the Globe sent me to Los Angeles where they pressured me to write false stories about former LA prosecutor Christopher Darden and Farrah Fawcett, which I respectfully declined.

And tabs also don't respect celeb privitcy because doing Farrah's last months on Earth, somebody sold her medical history to the tabs and they printed it, to. And I think that Farrah's camp sued them I think.:(

thank you for sharing....however...this view of the media....TO LITTLE TO LATE!!!!......

Thank you for posting this.

I don't trust the media, the problem is, even respectable papers and magazines seem to go down the drain. The only thing they care about is money. They don't care how many lives they ruin in the process.

it's been 3 months and we still get a lot of garbage...but yes, i want to believe there's still hope.

- - - - -

"In order to sell papers and get ratings, news reports dehumanized him in every way possible, and journalists took every opportunity to report the newest "dirt" about Michael without bothering to corroborate the details. During the trial, even when people took the stand to testify about Michael's good deeds, that side of Michael Jackson was never reported by mainstream media.

Without realizing it, many people in the media had become part of the conspiracy to tear Michael Jackson down. People covering the trial seemed to be focusing on the prosecution, telling a one-sided story. And news producers encouraged that. The news machine was interested in ratings, and it seemed TV producers wanted reporters to talk about anything that was anti-Jackson. The more negative the commentary, the more attention the story got. It was a vicious cycle that almost everyone in the media got caught up in." - - - Aphrodite Jones, The Michael Jackson Conspiracy

- - - - -

2wf4ykm.jpg

Here here MJ Forever! And what a beautiful message from Michael.

So cute "I must sleep now"

:wub:

Tabloid burning would be great if it weren't for actually paying for them in the first place!

Back