My This Is It Review

jdmd2004

Proud Member
So... That was it ?

A song, more accurately a demo 30 years old ? Hmmm

Is is just me or does everyone feel like this was all very anticlimatic ?

The song itself on its own is nice, gorgeous vocals and lyrics but very unfinished. It has been
Pure coincidence that this song happened to say 'This Is It' in the title. This has been down to the
Cogs at Sony to find something that can relate to the tour. And they market it as brand new music ?

If Michael was here, this was wouldn't have been given the go ahead. Its unfinished, definitely not modern and
Not the Michael We know and love. If the estate wanted this song to be apart of a tribute to him for his legacy I think they have completely missed the mark. It is almost an insult to him, his fans and his career.

What saves the track is the lyrics, they are beautiful and very poignant for everything that has happened this year. Other fans I have spoken to say they feel it should have been modern up tempo and if it was a ballad, something more along the lines of 'You Are Not Alone' or 'Cry'.

What is worrying me more is that the jackson estate ( including the family ) also have the final say on what is officially released. We have been told and assured that we will work tirelessley to ensure Michaels memory is kept strong and will work in the interests of Michael, but also keep a close relationship with what his fans would have wanted. I support the estate and michaels children always ofcourse, but it just feels as though they have went in a completely different direction to Michael's music. I just hope in the future we get more modern day anthems that we all wanted and hoped for. S

Perfect song to accompany the film and the events of this year, As a fan, I will ensure this goes straight to number one. But will we all remember this in 5 years ?

Hmm...

*** personal opinion only, please dont hit me ***

Oh I won't hit you! LOL!

This is a good song for the movie & concept for the concerts, IMHO.

The single itself sounds unfinished - and I'd bet that Bruce Sweiden wasn't the main engineer for this unless I see the credits when I buy the CD.

Now there is a rumor though that MJs true NEW album will be out in 2010 with the songs he wrote with Ne-Yo & R-Kelly.

Regardless, I'll support anything & everything MJ puts out, and if I can't afford it, I wait until I can afford it.

i might retract it now

the song as a standalone is amazing :) michael rules

and i agree, anything he does i will support :)

I like the song but if you listen to the words it song like a love song, Sony need a song to go with the movie and this is what thay found. I am going to see TII and will be buying the CD and DVD when it comes out and any other CD that is put out.

I think the song is okay, it's great to hear Mike again, but I can't believe the poor sound quality of the radio single - I really hope what we've heard is the original version and the "Orchestra Version" will blow us away come release day.

No matter what would have been put out the fans here wouldn't be happy

exactly.....

This song is amazing! The part that amazes me the most is that it is just a demo! Why must everything be "modern day"? This has such a simplistic vibe but it is very very catchy. I can't stop replaying it in my head. I am very shocked at the the quality of Michael's voice, he sounds so young. I wish he was here to produce the final version of this track but, as a true fan, I will cherish this forever. I will NEVER forget any work Michael Jackson had a part of.

I actually love the song...

Like all things life.... everything is subjective to the each individual. I LOVE IT.

I don't nitpick every little thing, couldn't care too much about the technical stuff.....

I am buying the album.

This is the orchestra version. The other version is just his voice and piano nothing more!

Thats the version I want to hear ala Love Never felt So Good.

On another note, I see people saying that they see why Sony did not release it as a single. Its a Single!!!!

Just because you can't purchase the song itself does not mean it isnt a single. Its one song released to represent the album, which is a single. With enough radioplay, the song could still hit the charts. Its less likely to chart high without people being able to buy it, but it may still chart.

Im not sure the Estate can be blamed coz we are not sure if they are keen on releasing music thru sony.

This is a old song & already released by another artist, so I believe a song like this is easier to release with limited contract work with the estate.

Like I have said b4, I think Sony will shop around the New music with all potential corporations once they are free to do so (assuming that its after 2011). N after hearing this song I have a stronger feeling that even if Sony has access to Unreleased material they are not in a position to release it without the Estate's approval. Except in case of demo or other versions of Old released songs. I thinks that way they keep release the old material... coz they cannot release New ones.

I actually love the song...

Like all things life.... everything is subjective to the each individual. I LOVE IT.

I don't nitpick every little thing, couldn't care too much about the technical stuff.....

I am buying the album.

I am with you. I actually like the song. Being a fan since 1972 it is an older song, but I appreciate his music all styles and vision. It is good for the movie but young hot radio may not get it. Older R&B audiences will like this song. I'm telling my age here.

Thats the version I want to hear ala Love Never felt So Good.

On another note, I see people saying that they see why Sony did not release it as a single. Its a Single!!!!

Just because you can't purchase the song itself does not mean it isnt a single. Its one song released to represent the album, which is a single. With enough radioplay, the song could still hit the charts. Its less likely to chart high without people being able to buy it, but it may still chart.

I heard the orchestra version. It is good to me especially for the movie.

IMHO, I LOVE the song... It is an old song but still It's Michael and his voice is just...amazing. And this is not out of the NEW Album. Even if it were, i'd LOVE IT! This shows that Even songs that he made a long time ago, Hypes us. Not only the fans but others too.

I'll buy the CD 4 sure. I cant stop listening to it.

I can't stop listening to the song,aswell :wub:
love it love it love it :wub:
can't wait to see the movie

No matter what would have been put out the fans here wouldn't be happy

I'm glad you know what everyone thinks.

I thought that this is a discussion forum where we are allowed to discuss things and have different opinions.

Pure coincidence that this song happened to say 'This Is It' in the title. This has been down to the
Cogs at Sony to find something that can relate to the tour. And they market it as brand new music ?
I don't think it's a coincidence. Wasn't the song called 'I Never Heard'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCV1h40oS0o

I bet you sony changed the tittle for convenience

I JUST HAVE TO TELL THIS - SONY ARE FULL OF SHIT!!!!!!

They had the biggest luck that Michael left a song WHICH HAS THE LYRIC - THIS IS IT for them...

THIS "song" is unfinished, outdated ballad... demo...
Is this the new song we waited for?
WOW this time SONY really fu;ked up!
Michael will turn in his grave...
cMon this song is nice but this is not THIS IS IT 2009, this is another This is it... long LONG time ago...

I'm so angry they are using Michael's name in such a way......

DON'T BUY THAT ALBUM - THIS IS NOT WHAT MICHAEL WANTED!

I think we will never hear the new songs if nothing happens.....

I can expect another "JACKSONS ALBUM" using Michael' s new vocals and songs...

THEY CAN DO THAT..
Now don't attack me... i know you know what I'm talking about...

Michael was used and used whole his life by bloodsuckers....

His death is gold mine for some of them

I'M DISGUSTED!!!!!!!!!!

I do think that Sony should've been upfront from the word go instead of being deliberately vague about when this was from, trying to pass off a 20 year old track as a "new" song.

Aside from that, I love the passion and soul in this song. It's so weird hearing a "new" unheard Michael song from this era... I couldn't give a crap about what Joe Public thinks about Michael's legacy. I don't need to hear something modern and contemporary from Michael, I'm a fan all the way from Music & Me to One Day In Your Life to Billie Jean to You Rock My World.

Most modern contemporary music is complete garbage these days anyway. It's REFRESHING to hear something so raw and soulful for a change. This must be what it was like growing up in the 70's...

Guys i know some of you are happy that the song is from 70/80s but... for me this is D E P R E S S I NG -
After almost 10 years of no new album - We are still hoping for a 70s "soulfull" song...

TheDangerousFan - What were you expecting exactly? Geez, some fans are so unrealistic. We knew that it wasn't going to be a new song from 2009. Did you really believe that MJ recorded a new song called "This Is It" with his brothers doing backing vocals before he died?

Put the song in context of his career and enjoy it for what it is, a simple, heartfelt, soulful ballad.

TheDangerousFan - What were you expecting exactly? Geez, some fans are so unrealistic. We knew that it wasn't going to be a new song from 2009. Did you really believe that MJ recorded a new song called "This Is It" with his brothers doing backing vocals before he died?

Put the song in context of his career and enjoy it for what it is, a simple, heartfelt, soulful ballad.
No i didn't expect that but this was cheap... they even didn't remaster it good.It's old demo and i feel SONY ARE USING MICHAEL AGAIN.... I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER 5 YEARS OF WAITING...
And in the end - will we hear something fresh and new?

No i didn't expect that but this was cheap... they even didn't remaster it good.It's old demo and i feel SONY ARE USING MICHAEL AGAIN.... I CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER 5 YEARS OF WAITING...
And in the end - will we hear something fresh and new?

He only died four months ago. A whole new album at this time would be in poor taste. I know as fans we are desperate to hear new unheard material, and I have every faith that it will come.

But at the moment we have the film to look forward to and this new song, which I actually really like. Each to their own though...

I heard Michael was set to release a new album with NEW SONGS in 2010 after the O2 performances.

Akon & Ne-Yo, Will.I.am and R-Kelly collobarted on his new stuff, so we will see.

He only died four months ago. A whole new album at this time would be in poor taste. I know as fans we are desperate to hear new unheard material, and I have every faith that it will come.

But at the moment we have the film to look forward to and this new song, which I actually really like. Each to their own though...

I heard Michael was set to release a new album with NEW SONGS in 2010 after the O2 performances.

Akon & Ne-Yo, Will.I.am and R-Kelly collobarted on his new stuff, so we will see.

Ne-Yo.??? Ne-Yo is crap on a stick!!! Please Sony release the 80s stuff I don´t think a Ne-Yo song can be good.

THis is it sounds better than anything on invincible!!

THis is it sounds better than anything on invincible!!

I wouldn't go that far. Better than Speechless? Better than Heaven Can Wait or Butterflies or Whatever Happens or YRMW?

Hardly.

It will hopefully be after 2011 wen the Estate can negotiate with all possible music companies for releasing the actual New material...

Back