MJ Estate gave Sony 50 songs to choose from for This Is It Soundtrack

Maestro

Proud Member
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b148603_jackson_estate_admits_doing_new_tune.html

All is well once again in Michael Jackson Litigation Land—but things were looking dicey for a minute.

Crooner Paul Anka, who perhaps most famously penned the lyrics to the Frank Sinatra standard "My Way," says that Jackson's estate has apologized to him for releasing the single "This Is It" without properly acknowledging Anka as a cowriter on the tune.

After publicly griping and threatening legal action if the matter of compensation wasn't taken care of, Anka said Monday afternoon that estate administrator John McClain called him up make amends.

"I said, 'It's fine if it's an honest mistake. These things happen,' " Anka told the New York Times. McClain told him, he said, that the estate had presented Sony with 50 songs and "This Is It" was the most distinctive—for good reason, so it turned out.

In a statement, the Jackson estate said it in no way meant to put one over on the prolific singer-songwriter.

"The song was picked because the lyrics were appropriate because of the name Michael gave his tour," McClane and coadministrator John Branca said. "We are thrilled to present this song in Michael's voice for the first time, and that Michael's fans have responded in unprecedented numbers. The song was co-written by the legendary Paul Anka."

McClain had plucked the piano-and-vocals track from the vault and built an arrangement around it, not realizing that it strongly resembled the Safire song "I Never Heard," which was credited to cowriters Jackson and Anka in the 1980s.

Anka says that he and the soon-to-be King of Pop wrote the song in 1983 as a duet for Anka's album Walk a Fine Line, but that Jackson took the tapes back shortly after the song was first recorded.

He had to threaten to sue to get the masters back, Anka said, along with documentation proving that he holds the copyright to the music and lyrics.

"They have a major, major problem on their hands," Anka said earlier today, before he received the conciliatory phone call which, incidentally, resulted in a promise that he will get 50 percent of the proceeds from sales of "This Is It."

I've said it a million times before. Good song or not, the only reason this song was chosen is because of it's fitting title.

"I said, 'It's fine if it's an honest mistake. These things happen,' " Anka told the New York Times. McClain told him, he said, that the estate had presented Sony with 50 songs and "This Is It" was the most distinctive—for good reason, so it turned out.

McClain should release a statement clarifying what this asshole is claiming .

I've said it a million times before. Good song or not, the only reason this song was chosen is because of it's fitting title.

well, I doubt this is it was its title, it had a phrase that says "this is it" and that was it indeed.

50 ?? wasnt there gonna be 50 shows ? hmmm seems dodgy straight from the start .

even if his story is real it wouldnt suprise me if soy planned on squeezing every cent from every loyal MJ fan and put out a collectors edition of the soundtrack which inlcuded more demos

Okay, so wait a minute. The Estate gave Sony these songs? These weren't songs that Sony had some kind of automatic ownership of? And it was from this magic box of songs that they pulled the tape out of? Lawd sometimes I wish ppl would just tell the full story from the very beginning. The article quoting Stringer made it seem like they just stumbled across a box in their vaults and picked the song without getting any kind of clearance.

Truth or coverup after the screw up? One wonders.

man..sony could have chosen a lyric that said 'ABCD this is it'...and that would be it. at MJ's rate..all that had to happen is that his voice would be on it, and fans would fall in love with it. MJ's voice has the magic.

and it so happens that MJ has some classic penned tracks of his own.

Okay, so wait a minute. The Estate gave Sony these songs? These weren't songs that Sony had some kind of automatic ownership of? And it was from this magic box of songs that they pulled the tape out of? Lawd sometimes I wish ppl would just tell the full story from the very beginning. The article quoting Stringer made it seem like they just stumbled across a box in their vaults and picked the song without getting any kind of clearance.

I think they meant that The Estate gave Sony a choice from 50 songs to use on the soundtrack.

I agree

So Sony had a choice from 50 unreleased MJ songs and the This Is It tracklisting was the best they could do? If that is truely the case, Sony is really screwing us fans.

So Sony had a choice from 50 unreleased MJ songs and the This Is It tracklisting was the best they could do? If that is truely the case, Sony is really screwing us fans.

agree and also if they had choice of 50 songs why just include one new song but not more..

It is quite apparent that they choose this song because it has "this is it" line in it. Perhaps it is not the best choice.

Btw on the gearslutz (a music production forum) there are several musicians who worked on dangerous album. they state that there are completely finished songs that did not make the cut (2 of them were included in the blood on the dance floor). If this is the case why would they not use a completely finished song?

ah sony ah

agree and also if they had choice of 50 songs why just include one new song but not more..

It is quite apparent that they choose this song because it has "this is it" line in it. Perhaps it is not the best choice.

Btw on the gearslutz (a music production forum) there are several musicians who worked on dangerous album. they state that there are completely finished songs that did not make the cut (2 of them were included in the blood on the dance floor). If this is the case why would they not use a completely finished song?

ah sony ah
Exactly! Not only that, but This Is It is just a demo. I hope this is not the start of decisions that Sony will make that wil tarnish MJ's legacy.

Exactly! Not only that, but This Is It is just a demo. I hope this is not the start of decisions that Sony will make that wil tarnish MJ's legacy.

luckily the new songs (2004-2009) is not owned by sony. the rumor is that these will be published by universal.

luckily the new songs (2004-2009) is not owned by sony. the rumor is that these will be published by universal.

Michael's personal catalog of songs (MIJAC MUSIC - authorship, not master recordings) are administered by Warner-Tamerlane, Sony's competitor.

MJ = GENIUS.

Well, I think we just shouldn't support whatever Sony music puts out. It will hurt Michael and the estate in the short run. But once those 2004-2009 songs are put out by another label, watch Michael shoot up to #1 on Billboard again since those songs are the finished and more modern ones. Michael will win in the long run.

Well, I think we just shouldn't support whatever Sony music puts out. It will hurt Michael and the estate in the short run. But once those 2004-2009 songs are put out by another label, watch Michael shoot up to #1 on Billboard again since those songs are the finished and more modern ones. Michael will win in the long run.

I sincerely hope you're right.

god, I feel so upset right now it's unbelievable. after a long time, I felt a little better last night and this morning. but Sony just trampled upon and ruined every good feeling I had. I feel as if everybody around us is laughing at us... I hate the snide "thief" comments. I hate the way it feels as if whatever we were trying to build back up since he's been gone has disappeared into the dust. it feels Sisyphean, this effort of trying to protect Michael's legacy. we couldn't save his life, and now we might not be able to save his name. all because of a record company that doesn't give a shit except for their own bottomline. this is what Michael was telling us all these years. I remember seeing him speak about it way back when and thinking, he may just be right. boy was he right! I'm so sorry, Mike, I'm sorry we couldn't save you, that we couldn't take care of you. :(

I feel as if Sony will never do anything right by Michael. bit by bit, over the years, they've destroyed his reputation, his life, and now they're well onto destroying his musical legacy. just what did he do to deserve this??!! :boohoo:

anyway, I'll say goodnight here guys. one thing I gotta say... you all make it bearable. you're great :love: when I come in here and talk to you, I can almost, ALMOST feel some hope.

yep, they are saving the best ones for complete new albums, which is great, but i dont like McClain tastes in music anyway...and the sad part is that i really mean it:bugeyed, i think McClain has an aweful taste in music:puke:

I wonder whether Sony were aware of Anka's involvement from the beginning. If This Is It was released as a single, they'd have to pay him a hell of a lot of money but as it's only going to be on the album, I'm sure his 'cut' will be a lot smaller as Sony can argue that people bought the album for ALL the songs, not just This Is It.

They are going to make profit of everything MJ has ever recorded.
Every demo will be made into a song.

Hey, sony could even make rap versions of every voicemail or answering machine MJ has ever spoken into.

just what I thought. I also said this in the other thread, about Anka. Hmm it so sounds like they did all this behind MJ's back or after he passed away. Just IMO

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b148603_jackson_estate_admits_doing_new_tune.html

"They have a major, major problem on their hands," Anka said earlier today, before he received the conciliatory phone call which, incidentally, resulted in a promise that he will get 50 percent of the proceeds from sales of "This Is It."

Wait a minute...50%?!?

I know song writers get a percentage, but Anka gets 50%? He co-wrote the song and Michael is singing it, so why does he get a whole half? At most, I'd think he'd get a 1/3. Why a whole half? I guess squawking to the press instead of handling this thing privately just pays off. I'm not blaming him for wanting his share, but he could have talked to the executors first without publicly complaining. Everything always has to be different when it comes to Michael. He can't even have a posthumous song without someone jumping all over his name. It never stops.

ETA: I know it's Sony's fault, but Anka made it all more contentious and controversial, and he didn't have to.

The major problem with this f&^^ up is that every single other song released now will have people crawling out of the woodwork, claiming that they wrote it. And Michael is not here to defend himself.

The allegation about him "stealing" tapes etc doesn't help either...

This is another reason why they should be consulting with knowledgable fans before releasing anything...

Back