The Daily News Oct 13

mariemarie

Guests
"New" Michael Jackson single a "mistake"

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Michael Jackson didn't do it his way after all.
Hours after the pop singer's first posthumous single "This Is It" was released amid great hype on Monday, it emerged that the tune had been recorded 18 years ago by an obscure Puerto Rican singer.

Moreover the co-author of that tune, "My Way" songwriter Paul Anka, threatened to sue Jackson's estate for proper credit and his share of royalties.

The administrators of the estate quickly acknowledged Anka's claims and granted him 50 percent of the copyright, a potentially massive payday for the 68-year-old Canadian crooner. And an equally massive loss for the estate.

"They realize it's a mistake, they realize it's my song, they realize it's my production of his vocal in my studio and I am getting 50 percent of the whole project, actually, which is fair," Anka said in a video posted on the TMZ gossip Web site.

The song dates back to 1983, when it was known as "I Never Heard" -- a co-write between Jackson and Anka -- and intended for inclusion on an Anka album. But the pair fell out, Jackson took the master tapes and Anka got them back.

The song was eventually released in 1991 after Anka placed it with an unknown Latin singer named Sa-Fire.
Both "I Never Heard" and "This Is It" share the same vocal and piano line, although the latter track boasts new overdubs from Jackson's brothers.

But "This Is It" had been promoted as a new Jackson recording, one of a multitude of unreleased recordings likely to come out in the next few years.

It was released online around the world nearly four months after the singer died in Los Angeles of a prescription drug overdose at the age of 50.

Fans will be able to buy it when a two-disc album hits the shelves in two
weeks to coincide with the October 28 worldwide release of the Jackson rehearsal-footage movie "This is It."
LYRICS FIT THE BILL

"The song was picked because the lyrics were appropriate because of the name Michael gave his tour," said a spokesman for Jackson's estate. "We are thrilled to present this song in Michael's voice for the first time, and that Michael's fans have responded in unprecedented numbers. The song was co-written by the legendary Paul Anka."

A spokeswoman for Sony Music declined to comment. One of the estate's two administrators, John McClain, worked with Jackson at the Sony Corp unit. The other executor is music attorney John Branca.

McClain, who is also a co-producer of the "This is It" album, had said in a statement earlier on Monday that the song "only defines, once again, what the world already knows -- that Michael is one of God's greatest gifts."

Some critics begged to differ. Jon Pareles, the chief pop critic of The New York Times, said in a blog it "won't be on anyone's list of best Michael Jackson songs, even if it's a long list" and hoped there was something better in the Michael Jackson vaults of album outtakes.

The "This Is It" movie is based on rehearsal video shot in Los Angeles in the weeks before Jackson's planned 50 comeback concerts in London. It was the subject of a $60 million deal between Jackson's estate and closely held concert promoter AEG Live and Sony's Sony Pictures unit.

Sales of Jackson's records spiked after his death and the release of the movie and album will add to the value of the "Thriller" singer's estate, estimated at around $400 million.

Sony Music said the first disc of the album will feature some of Jackson's greatest hits plus two versions of the "new" single.

The second disc will include unreleased versions of some of the singer's classic tracks and a spoken word poem entitled "Planet Earth" performed by Jackson and never heard before.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant and Dean Goodman; editing by Bill Trott) (To read more about our entertainment news, visit our blog)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091013/en_nm/us_jackson

Continue to vote for Michael here =) http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_49/michael-jackson-6.html

2009 was supposed to bring some much-needed polish to Michael Jackson's career. In March, the King of Pop announced that he was preparing This Is It, an ambitious 50-date concert series in London, England. On June 25, everything changed.

A few weeks shy of his first comeback concert, the world was stunned to learn of Michael Jackson's passing. Search engines overflowed, entertainment blogs were overloaded and news networks ran tributes around the clock. A memorial celebration was watched by an estimated one billion people worldwide and featured all-star performances from the likes of Jennifer Hudson, John Mayer, Mariah Carey, and Usher, as well as a moving impromptu speech from his surviving daughter, Paris Katherine Jackson.

Michael Jackson and his much-publicized personal struggles were suddenly gone, but his musical popularity went through the roof. Within six weeks of his death, close to four million of his albums were sold in U.S. stores alone, while millions more songs were bought online.

As a curtain call to the concert series that never was, the rehearsal footage from This Is It was turned into a concert film and released worldwide in October, giving his fans a close look at just what he was working on in the days leading up to his untimely exit.

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_49/michael-jackson-6.html

Reminder::punk::)
MICHAEL JACKSON FAN TO DANCE FOR ICON

Fans of late pop star Michael Jackson can compete for the chance to dance at next year's official Michael Jackson tribute show.

Michael Jackson fans can compete for the chance to dance in front of his family.

New TV show 'Move Like Michael Jackson' will start filming in the UK later this month and contestants will battle it out for the chance to star in an official tribute concert for the late pop star in front of the Jackson family.

A spokesman for the BBC3 series said: "The winner won't necessarily be the dancer who mimics Michael Jackson's choreography, but rather someone who can move like him, creating and inventing iconic steps and styles."

Auditions will begin in the next few weeks in front of Mark Summers, the choreographer who chose the dance group for the singer's sold-out 'This Is It' London shows.

Once the thousands of contenders have been cut down, 16 finalists will be reduced to six by Michael's brother Jermaine, Mark and another as-yet unnamed judge.

The contestants will be trained by Michael's personal choreographer Lavelle Smith Jr and the show will be aired later this year.

The lucky six will then compete in a live final due to be aired later this year and again at the tribute concert being planned in London next June.
Meanwhile, it has been revealed Michael's new track 'This Is It' - the first song released since his death - was co-written by Paul Anka.

It was originally called 'I Never Heard' and was recorded by artist Safire, who released it in 1990.

John Branca - a co-executor of Michael's estate - has acknowledged the track was co-written by Anka, who will reportedly get 50 per cent of the publishing rights.
Branca told website TMZ: "We acknowledge that Michael and Paul wrote this song together."

Anka said: "They did the right thing. I don't think that anybody tried to do the wrong thing. It was an honest mistake."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/michael-jackson-fan-to-dance-for-icon_1118869

The rest of the news is basically about the SONG! But we have more than many enough threads about that issue...

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1979 - Michael Jackson's single "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" hit #1 in the U.S. and #3 in the U.K.

1995 - Michael Jackson's single "You Are Not Alone" was certified Gold and Platinum.

0.jpg

To me, the release of "This Is It" as a single proves beyond a doubt that MJ is no longer with us. Cause he would never have approved of this song to be released first. No way. He had other new material that he was working on with Will.I.Am and others....what happened to that stuff?

"They realize it's a mistake, they realize it's my song, they realize it's my production of his vocal in my studio and I am getting 50 percent of the whole project, actually, which is fair," Anka said

:( I thought it was CO-written by the both of them...

"They realize it's a mistake, they realize it's my song, they realize it's my production of his vocal in my studio and I am getting 50 percent of the whole project, actually, which is fair," Anka said

:( I thought it was CO-written by the both of them...
It was.

Funny thing about Michael Jackson's episode

Michael Jackson in concert.

Photograph by: Havakuk Levison, Reuters

Talk about a "thriller" experience.
Al Jean still remembers the day he worked with Michael Jackson on The Simpsons 1991 episode Stark Raving Dad, in which Jackson -- under the pseudonym John Jay Smith -- performed the speaking voice of Leon Kompowsky, "a big white guy who thinks he's a little black guy."
Jackson, a longtime Simpsons fan, had called executive-producer James L. Brooks out of the blue, Jean told Canwest News Service and offered to do a guest-voice role.
Brooks came up with the initial idea of an overweight mental patient who thinks he's Michael Jackson, then asked Jean and Jean's co-writer at the time, Mike Reiss, to write the script.
"Like a lot of things involving Michael, it was full of mystery and intrigue," Jean recalled of his experience. "Musically, there was no doubt he was a genius. I'm not the first person to say that. But it was also probably the most high-pressure assignment of my life, except for doing The Simpsons Movie."
Jackson wouldn't commit to doing the episode until the actual table read, Jean recalled.
"Which is the only time that's happened in the history of The Simpsons."
The table read was at the house of Michael Jackson's agent at the time. Jackson was there, but one of the cast members -- Jean wouldn't say who -- was half an hour late in arriving.
"So we're just sitting there in silence, very nervously," Jean said. "Then, finally, we have everyone there, and we start to read. And we come to his lines, and -- thank God -- he laughs."
The following Monday, Jackson suddenly stipulated that he wanted a sound-alike to do the singing in the episode. He would record his own dialogue, though.
Oookay, Jean thought. That's a little -- weird. But, what the hey, it's Michael Jackson. Roll with it.
The singing chores fell to singer-songwriter Kipp Lennon, lead singer at the time for a rock band called Venice. Jackson thought Lennon was hilarious, Jean recalled. Cue a sigh of relief.
Then, things got complicated.
Jackson wrote the song Happy Birthday Lisa, which appears in the episode, Jean confirmed, and was later included in the album Songs in the Key of Springfield.
"Singing in the show is Kipp," Jean explained. "Speaking in the show is Michael. And the song, Happy Birthday Lisa, was written by Michael, but sung by Kipp."
Got all that?
The Fox network repeated the episode shortly after Jackson's sudden death on June 25 of heart failure.
Jean said he wanted to look at the episode again before it aired.
"I wanted to make sure it was OK," he explained. "We had to make one fix, but it had nothing to do with Michael. There was a phone number there that is now a real phone number, so we had to blot that out digitally. Otherwise, it was unchanged."
Looking back after Jackson's death was hard, Jean admitted.
"I'd met him briefly when we did the episode, but I wouldn't say I knew him well. Obviously so much happened between then and now that, when you watch the episode, you can't help but have mixed feelings. I think he was brilliant. And he was very nice to us. He was a genius, but clearly a troubled guy. It's sad the way it ended, and it's sad he's not with us here today."
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

all this back and forth about This is it..really don't matter to the masses....

they hear Michael's voice..so its Michael's song....just like when people hear Man in the Mirror...

the Paul Anka saga is minor and is over ... now that he is getting 50% of sales...

I like the song and so does alot of folks who heard it....

and if I was Paul Anka... I would be praying that the song sells BIG!

Michael Jackson Returns To Radio

101965-michael_jackson_617_409.jpg

Just as radio stations flooded their airwaves with Michael Jackson's music following his death June 25, signals across multiple formats are wasting no time playing his newly-released track, "This Is It."

Made available to radio as of midnight yesterday (Oct. 12), the song has received 900 plays on 402 stations, reaching an audience of 10.4 million, as of 11 a.m. ET today, according to Nielsen BDS.

In its first day of airplay, the song ranked as the 35th-most played current title on all stations monitored for the Billboard Hot 100. It placed at No. 15 out-of-the-box at R&B radio. The track has received almost two-thirds of its spins in morning drive (6-10 a.m.), radio's most heavily-listened-to daypart.

A spokesman for Epic Records says the song will not be released as a digital single. Instead, fans seeking to purchase the song will have to wait until Oct. 27, when Jackson's like-titled newest hits compilation is released. Since the release of "This Is It," details have emerged that the song was co-written by Paul Anka in 1983 and first recorded by Sa-Fire in 1991.

Response among radio programmers to the song has been almost universally positive.

"There's definitely a curiosity factor and a lasting emotional connection to Michael," says Brian Thomas, program director of CBS oldies WCBS-FM and adult contemporary WWFS (Fresh 102.7)/New York, both of which played the ballad yesterday.

"People want to like the record, and listener response has been favorable."

Mike Mullaney, assistant program director/music director at CBS adult top 40 WBMX (Mix 104.1)/Boston, says the song warranted immediate airplay on the station, though he cautions against its long-term appeal.

"This song is an event, no question. It's right in line with his adult contemporary hits of the '90s, with a nice melody. Everyone is going to want to hear it at least once.

"While it's nice, it's a dated sound, and not likely to excite the 12- to 24-year-old top 40 crowd that generally passes judgment as to whether a song is a 'real' hit.

"We'll ultimately look to our audience as to whether they want new Michael Jackson music, or just that great catalog of hits."

"This Is It" has received 40% of its plays at R&B radio, with top 40, adult contemporary and even rock stations sampling the song.

Kevin Gardner, program director of Cox adult R&B WCFB (Star 94)/Orlando, says the station is giving listeners the chance to win tickets to a screening of "This Is It" on the film's opening day.

"We know people miss Jackson and love his music. This song will do well on both mainstream R&B/hip-hop and adult R&B radio.

"Long live the King of Pop."

http://www.billboard.com/column/cha...ael-jackson-returns-to-radio-1004021657.story

Michael Jackson 'This Is It' controversy: So who exactly is Safire?

safire_l.jpg

A lot of questions got resolved yesterday about the new Michael Jackson single “This Is It” — in particular, exactly who wrote the tune. (The answer apparently being Jackson and veteran singer-songwriter Paul Anka.) But you may still be wondering just who is Safire, the singer who originally recorded the track when it was called “I Never Heard.”

Safire was born Wilma Cosme on the island of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and subsequently moved to New York’s Spanish Harlem. In the late ‘80s, she recorded a clutch of singles for Cutting Records and became a leading light of the on-the-rise Latin hip-hop/freestyle scene (a largely regional phenomenon whose ranks yielded stars like Stevie B, Exposé, and Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam).

After signing with Mercury/Polygram, Safire put out her first, self-titled, album, featuring the Marc Anthony-penned single “Boy I’ve Been Told.” Her big commercial break came with the slow-paced 1989 hit, “Thinking of You,” a song dedicated to her uncle, who had passed away from AIDS complications. Spin magazine put her on their cover (see left), and the singer was also featured in the pages of Vogue. In 1990 Safire released a less successful second album, I Wasn’t Born Yesterday, which featured the Jackson-Anka composition.

According to Safire’s current manager Sal Abbatiello, the song was originally intended as a duet between Safire and Anka, whose writing credits also include the English lyrics for “My Way.” “They thought Safire was going to be the next Gloria Estefan,” says Abatiello. “She had put out three big dance records and she was becoming a very well known artist. And then she put out the ballad ‘Thinking of You,’ which was one of the most played records of the year. But when Michael met her in California at the studio, he saw how young and beautiful she was. He told Paul, ‘You can’t do the record with her, she’s too young.’ And he gave her the song.”

Safire continues to perform, and following Jackson’s death earlier this year, she posted a tribute on her myspace page which concluded, “R.I.P. Michael you will truly be missed but you will live on in every song. Love always SAFIRE.”

Of course, one of the songs Jackson will live on through is “This Is It,” or, if you prefer, “I Never Heard.” Either way, you can hear Safire’s version of the track below as well as her biggest hit, “Thinking of You.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCV1h40oS0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5XgFvKfnk

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/10/13/michael-jackson-this-is-it-safire/

To me, the release of "This Is It" as a single proves beyond a doubt that MJ is no longer with us. Cause he would never have approved of this song to be released first. No way. He had other new material that he was working on with Will.I.Am and others....what happened to that stuff?

i totally agree with you-and this makes me feel so sad...miss you Michael...

That's what I think too. Michael would not have released this track now.

Now I know who Safire is. I remember the song Boy I've been Told. That was always on the radio in the late 80s. I would have thought that was her biggest hit.

safire_l.jpg

A lot of questions got resolved yesterday about the new Michael Jackson single “This Is It” — in particular, exactly who wrote the tune. (The answer apparently being Jackson and veteran singer-songwriter Paul Anka.) But you may still be wondering just who is Safire, the singer who originally recorded the track when it was called “I Never Heard.”

Safire was born Wilma Cosme on the island of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and subsequently moved to New York’s Spanish Harlem. In the late ‘80s, she recorded a clutch of singles for Cutting Records and became a leading light of the on-the-rise Latin hip-hop/freestyle scene (a largely regional phenomenon whose ranks yielded stars like Stevie B, Exposé, and Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam).

After signing with Mercury/Polygram, Safire put out her first, self-titled, album, featuring the Marc Anthony-penned single “Boy I’ve Been Told.” Her big commercial break came with the slow-paced 1989 hit, “Thinking of You,” a song dedicated to her uncle, who had passed away from AIDS complications. Spin magazine put her on their cover (see left), and the singer was also featured in the pages of Vogue. In 1990 Safire released a less successful second album, I Wasn’t Born Yesterday, which featured the Jackson-Anka composition.

According to Safire’s current manager Sal Abbatiello, the song was originally intended as a duet between Safire and Anka, whose writing credits also include the English lyrics for “My Way.” “They thought Safire was going to be the next Gloria Estefan,” says Abatiello. “She had put out three big dance records and she was becoming a very well known artist. And then she put out the ballad ‘Thinking of You,’ which was one of the most played records of the year. But when Michael met her in California at the studio, he saw how young and beautiful she was. He told Paul, ‘You can’t do the record with her, she’s too young.’ And he gave her the song.”

Safire continues to perform, and following Jackson’s death earlier this year, she posted a tribute on her myspace page which concluded, “R.I.P. Michael you will truly be missed but you will live on in every song. Love always SAFIRE.”

Of course, one of the songs Jackson will live on through is “This Is It,” or, if you prefer, “I Never Heard.” Either way, you can hear Safire’s version of the track below as well as her biggest hit, “Thinking of You.”

A songwriter friend of mine recently worked with Safire on her recent dance hit called Exotique, listen to it here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Safire/dp/B000W3UMEO

I've met Safire A LONG TIME AGO in the 1990s and she's really sweet & down to earth.

safire_l.jpg

Obvious to me that the only real reason or need to bring This is It, the song, into the public domain is because of the This Is It film. I dont believe Michael was planning to do anything with this particular version of it as it doesnt sound finished. The Sony money-making brigade jumped on it to make more money in line with the movie release.

A songwriter friend of mine recently worked with Safire on her recent dance hit called Exotique, listen to it here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Safire/dp/B000W3UMEO

I've met Safire A LONG TIME AGO in the 1990s and she's really sweet & down to earth.

That’s really good to know about her, in her first interview with Access Hollywood regarding her reactions to the new song, she showed a lot of respect and emotions towards Michael.

OMG, dont scare me, 50% profit of the whole "this is it" project?? What is Sony doing?They should know how the song was created!!

Back