This is It rumored to do 250 million in 5 days. That's Spiderman #'s

Calotte12

Proud Member
EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures and Sony Music Entertainment have already trumpeted record-breaking sales around the world for the upcoming movie compiled from Michael Jackson's high-def concert rehearsal footage. (Photo above show Paris lines outside The Grand Rex, which sold out shortly after tickets went on sale.) But execs with the concert promoter AEG also capitalizing on the singer's death are now openly predicting that This Is It will make a staggering "$250 million in its first 5 days". And they claim the pic is already $5 million in the black even after Sony Pictures paid $60 million for the movie rights.

*UPDATE: The film is already #1 in ticket sales on big online movie ticketseller Fandango two weeks from release, outselling all of even this weekend’s new releases. This Is It has already sold out more than 1,000 showtimes on Fandango alone, and is outselling the previous bestselling limited-run concert film, Hannah Montana 3D, by a factor of 2 x1 at the same point in that film’s sales cycle. before its release date). Rick Butler, COO for Fandango, says theater owners are posting additional showtimes on multiple screens to meet the demand. "At this point in the film’s sales cycle, This Is It is outpacing Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince, Transformers 2: Revenge Of The Fallen, and Star Trek as one of our top pre-sellers of the year.”*

This Is It debuts in some markets with special advance showings the evening of Tuesday, October 27, and will open worldwide on Wednesday, October 28, in a normal wide release of over 3,000 North American runs, plus day and date in all territories including China or 8,000 foreign screens. When I relayed AEG's $250M-in-5-days figure to my Sony sources for their perspective, I received this response from one insider: "I dont know what they're talking about. That would be bigger than Spider-Man and Harry Potter. It's an event, but it's still a movie." Meanwhile, Sony execs are worried that moviegoers think all the shows are already sold-out because of the hype surrounding advance ticket sales. "We hope they know you can still go to the theater and get a ticket. It's not like a concert." Both AEG and Sony execs maintain they're really only going to release the pic into theaters for a 2 week only run. But AEG sources are letting the cat out of the bag that plans are to bring This Is It back at a later date.

But this may be my favorite AEG revelation: that the rehearsal footage including meetings and auditions and other behind-the-scenes was only shot in the first place because Michael Jackson wanted it for his personal archive. And that when the whole pre-concert production began running wildly over its $25M budget, AEG almost stopped the HD crews from filming the rehearsals to cut costs. "Michael had no concept of budget," an AEG insider reveals. "So the thought was we might as well fire the HD crew because there was no real plan to use the footage." Let's not forget that as soon as AEG executives involved in organizing Michael Jackson's 50-night schedule of shows at London's O2 arena learned of the performer's death, they met at Staples Center in Los Angeles and secured all of the 100 hours of rehearsal footage which Michael Jackson had done there with the intent to turn it into live albums, a movie, and TV special. As Randy Phillips, president and CEO of AEG Live, has ghoulishly boasted to the media, "He was our partner in life and now he's our partner in death."

I actually read this. and damn at those comments. the one thing that can let those haters shut up is actually proving to them that this can happen, how I wish it will.

I think they should keep expectation as low as possible. That will help the movie in the long run..whatever that is since it is out for 2 weeks only.

AEG better not screw everything boasting about 250M.

I am hoping this movie perform really really well, I would love for MJ's estate to be out of debt by next year. They need to retire that debt ASAP, because the pile of money coming in won't last forever. Things will (SHOULD) slow down a bit...to avoid MJ being overexposed.

ETA: The comments are really mean. wow...

Last edited:
This article clearly shows that Sony and AEG are both not on the same page and I wish they would just let this film do its thing and then gloat all they want afterwards.

My gosh.... Talk about pressure.

I am really hoping that This Is It actually performs that well or even more worldwide.... That'll show the naysayers and haters.. =p Plus, Michael's estate will be racking in the money! Oh yea!!!!!

I am not talking. I am just praying as hard as I can. I want this movie to do well all over the world..AEG better shut up..

AEG are a bunch of loose lips. They can have high expectation but don't release it to the press. The media wants MJ to fail. If the movie makes 200M instead of 250M, they will be more than happy to call it a bomb.

They need to STFU already. And keep expectation very low. I cannot believe they are putting these insane amounts out there...2 weeks before the movie opens.

This movie will not even come close to that. They are dreaming. If it does $200 million in the 14 days then that would be incredible.

Meanwhile, Sony execs are worried that moviegoers think all the shows are already sold-out because of the hype surrounding advance ticket sales. "We hope they know you can still go to the theater and get a ticket. It's not like a concert."

There maybe some truth in that as the media have widely reported sold out shows when the reality (especially in the UK) there are only a fraction of the total number of tickets sold! I have scoured the websites of Odeon and Vue and I would guess that less than a third of the total number UK tickets in those cinemas are sold. Even the primetime screenings (6pm til 10pm showings) are mostly not full - even on Friday and Saturday! Some shows have sold NO tickets at all, and still there isn't any proper promotion from Sony over here. They need to pull there finger out of their backside and get some TV ads stating tickets 'still available' or something.

This movie will not even come close to that. They are dreaming. If it does $200 million in the 14 days then that would be incredible.

exactly...dunno why AEG are running their mouth and setting expectation so high. They are acting like a bunch of amateurs. I hope Sony shuts this nonsense down before everyone starts reporting it.

This article clearly shows that Sony and AEG are both not on the same page and I wish they would just let this film do its thing and then gloat all they want afterwards.

THANK YOU!!! Everybody's got motor mouth...all they really need to do is get the Human Nature and other commerical spots all over the tube.

Michael doesn't need anybody gloating now...just put the promos out, and he'll deliver.

TV spots are required if they expect to generate super-sales. I haven't seen any TV ads on Australian TV

I know! Is AEG f*cking crazy?! Are they saying $200 million domestic? Because at the moment I don't see that happening at all. It could, but who knows? $200 million WORLDWIDE is a lock though. They should just keep their mouths just and let history take its course. Whatever happens will happen, and it will be interesting to watch.

AEG are a bunch of loose lips. They can have high expectation but don't release it to the press. The media wants MJ to fail. If the movie makes 200M instead of 250M, they will be more than happy to call it a bomb.

They need to STFU already. And keep expectation very low. I cannot believe they are putting these insane amounts out there...2 weeks before the movie opens.

I agree. They need to shutup about this until the final numbers are in.

I think they should keep expectation as low as possible. That will help the movie in the long run..whatever that is since it is out for 2 weeks only.

AEG better not screw everything boasting about 250M.

I am hoping this movie perform really really well, I would love for MJ's estate to be out of debt by next year. They need to retire that debt ASAP, because the pile of money coming in won't last forever. Things will (SHOULD) slow down a bit...to avoid MJ being overexposed.

ETA: The comments are really mean. wow...

i agree. the expectation and the over-hyping is too much

I think the DVD sales will be like... WOW!

I mean most fans will buy it to watch at home

There maybe some truth in that as the media have widely reported sold out shows when the reality (especially in the UK) there are only a fraction of the total number of tickets sold! I have scoured the websites of Odeon and Vue and I would guess that less than a third of the total number UK tickets in those cinemas are sold. Even the primetime screenings (6pm til 10pm showings) are mostly not full - even on Friday and Saturday! Some shows have sold NO tickets at all, and still there isn't any proper promotion from Sony over here. They need to pull there finger out of their backside and get some TV ads stating tickets 'still available' or something.

exactly, only 120,000 tickets have being sold so far according to the BBC. that is very low. Where are the UK fans? AEG needs to shut up

Last edited:
$250 million in 5 days? OK, good luck with that. :smilerolleyes:

I think the $250 million in 5 days is a bit too high but if this article is to be believed then the film has already made a profit from pre-sales. Sony paid $60 million for the footage and the article says the film is already $5 million in the black meaning it has made $65 million just from pre-sales tickets alone. That is pretty high guys.

Last edited:
I think they are talking about DVD sales as well? huh? I do not think it will make $250 mill in 5 days. Honestly!! AEG do not know anything about movies and they should zip it for now. Let $ony handle the hype and sales. Wel,l it is a rumour.

Back