Positive Review For This Is It – Michael’s New Song

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Finger snaps and a simple piano riff usher in This Is It, the new Michael Jackson love song and the title track from this month’s release of his first posthumous film. The song, which finds Jackson crooning clear-voiced and skittering about in his legendary high octaves, was released October 12th at midnight as a web exclusive and features Jackson backed-up by his brothers on the spare, and if not quite beautiful, than at least optimistic new track. It would be hard to imagine a video for this record that didn’t include butterflies.

The single has almost a throwback feel, and Jackson’s early Motown years are more prevalent on the record than the grandiose arrangements of post-Off the Wall Quincy Jones which came to dominate his later, more daring years. Of course, the controvery today is about the discovery that the record was actually first recorded eighteen years ago by a singer in Puerto Rico. It’s now come out that the song was written by the Canadian Paul Anka, famous for writing the track My Way; Anka will receive 50% of the song’s royalties. Lyrically, it’s still hard to decipher exactly what any of these musicians are talking about, although it appears they’re all mooning over some girl: “And it feels as though I’ve seen your face a thousand times/And you said you really know me too yourself/And I know that you have got addicted with your eyes/But you say you gonna live it for yourself.”

Clearly, Jackson is playing his familiar role of spurned lover. But this song’s musical sweetness, which begins with Jackson counting in his band, recalls the bass-line from Human Nature and has a smooth jazz arrangement guaranteed to neither stimulate or offend. This is a song studio sculpted to remind future film-goers about the Michael Jackson far removed from the controversies which marred his last years.

Playing only for a duration of three minutes and thirty-six seconds, the song twice repeats its simple chorus: “This is it, I can say/ I’m the light of the world, run away/We can feel, this is real/Every time I’m in love.” Musically, the record’s light rock backdrop frames Jackson’s silky smooth vocals as elegantly as his hand once fit into a silvery glove.

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...son-song-review-this-is-it.aspx#ixzz0TtEfk2MV
The New Financial Post Stock Market Challenge starts in October. You could WIN your share of $60,000 in prizing. Register NOW

Source: National Post http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...3/michael-jackson-song-review-this-is-it.aspx

Back