David Gest...My Life :: MJ Tribute :: last night at Hammersmith Apollo

Roger Spy

Proud Member
Last night my friend Rex Newmark took me to David Gest's concert "David Gest...My Life" at the Hammersmith Apollo in London.

The concert was hosted by David himself and featured several performers from the Motown period including the last survivor of the Temptations. The atmosphere was great and throughout the show everybody kept on standing up and dancing. David was also on stage most of the time to share his stories and introduce the acts.

At the beginning of the second part there was a video tribute to Michael. It started with footage of David, Tito and Katherine followed by a little clip which I had never seen before, from The 7th American Cinema Awards in 1990.

http://www.mjjpictures.com/bad/awards/aca/aca.html

He showed a 10 second clip of his speech and in it he said "I'm just making a long speech because this is not on television (laughs in the cutest way), I would also like to thank David Gest", then the screen faded out to black.

"David Guest Interviews Michael Jackson"

The Interview is on the same set as the ET one from 2001 after the two NY shows. Michael is wearing a blue shirt and shortish hair. Some of the footage had been seen before, some was totally new. The interview was intertwined with MSG 30TH Anniversary clips, Billie Jean and Can You Feel It.

The end of the video montage was another clip from David interviewing Michael and he says "I think the David Gest production did a wonderful job and David was organized (starts to smile) for once..." then both of them burst into an hysterical laughter. I don't think I've ever seen Michael laughing so hard! It was so funny! It was like a 10 second laughing moment between the two and Michael was banging his hand on his own leg and covering his lips.

There was a huge ovation when the video ended.

After that David came back on stage, said that Channel 5 bought the rights for the show and that they're gonna air a 2 hour special soon. He also added that he had just put together a 1 hour and half special of MJ interviews that he has from over the years "where you will hear him speaking with his deep voice" and that we'll be seeing that soon too.

After the show I met David and Tito Jackson who was in the audience. I actually met Tito before the show and asked him to sign the MSG 30th Anniversary programme which was being sold there and met him during the second part.

He said yes right away when I asked him if I could take a picture with him (I forgot my camera was set for no flash, so that's why the pic is so 'noisy') thanked him and told him "God bless you and Katherine", he shook my hand and wished me all the best.

RogerSpyandDavidGuest.jpg

David Gest and Roger Spy

RogerSpyandTitoJackson.jpg

Tito Jackson and Roger Spy

SMALLPicture1510065.jpg

30th Anniversary programme signed by David Gest

SMALLPicture1510067.jpg

30th Anniversary programme signed by Tito Jackson

SMALLPicture1510068.jpg

David Gest...My Life programme

SMALLPicture1510070.jpg

SMALLPicture1510073.jpg

-----

Thank you*

RS

Thanks for sharing :) Guess how much much I would LOVE to the clips where he breaks into a laughing frenzy? That must have been so cool to see.

Btw, I like your jacket, Roger!

Thanks for sharing :) Guess how much much I would LOVE to the clips where he breaks into a laughing frenzy? That must have been so cool to see.

I hope that clip is included in the special he talked about. It was so unexpected and funny.

Btw, I like your jacket, Roger!

Thank you, it was given to me by a new London based designer, Billy Boyce. He asked me to edit the video for his new collection and gave me the jacked in return.

http://www.billyboyceclothing.com/

RS

Thank you, it was given to me by a new London based designer, Billy Boyce. He asked me to edit the video for his new collection and gave me the jacked in return.

http://www.billyboyceclothing.com/

RS

You're welcome=) Thanks for the link. Some awesome clothes on that site!!

And yea, he should deff put that clip on his upcoming special. We need to see this.

Thank you so much for sharing!!

I hope you gives a heads up to when these David Gest MJ specials will be shown. I am assuming it will only be shown in the UK, right?

I am glad that David has been there for Michael for so long. I think they were very good friends throughout Michael's life.

Can't wait to hear that deep voice! LOL!

Thanks for the post. :)
I like David Gest. Very funny but also a genuine friend of Michael. Ticks all the boxes.

Thanks for posting all that, Roger - I was there too last night, I took a video of the interview, I haven't checked it yet but don't think it will be very clear - I was sitting up in the stars.

Were they selling the MSG programme? Sh*t if I'd known I would have got one. It was a pretty good night though - The Temptations, Ben E King, Percy Sledge, damn it was a who's who of the Levi 501 soundtrack ads from the 80s.

I didn't see Tito going in, but I saw the Cheeky Girls and Chico from X factor - wahaaayyyy!!!!!!

oh WOW! That must've been amazing and fun. Thanks a ton for sharing all of this with us.
I love David, and I can't wait to see whatever he has to show!
David has had a crazy/fun filled/amazing life as I learned from his book- and seems like he was a really good friend :yes:

Thank you so much for sharing the night with us! I would have loved to see Michael on screen just laughing his butt off, lol! David sounds like a cool guy too.

Sounds like everyone had fun. Thanks for sharing.

thanks, this is so positive. very nice to hear about this. thank you for posting

Sounds like it was a wonderful night for everyone who attended. Thanks so much for sharing!

Oh, and Roger - I think you look beautiful with that headdress, make-up and jacket. :flowers:

Thank you, I did the wig myself. Glued hundreds of swarovski crystals...one...by...one! :)

RS

It's beautiful!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!

And your makeup is phenomenal!!!

Thank you for sharing your night with Gest & Tito.

I know that David comes off kooky as can be, but his love for MJ is very genuine.

thanks for sharing, i hope we can see the video soon.

Thanks for sharing that with us, made me smile.

Back