It's those little moments that makes Michael a genius..

michael4eva

Proud Member
Over the years through countless repeats of watching a clip or moment in a show or certain one minute, 30 seconds..anything...you notice little specifics that may have missed your radar

It is these moments that heightens mj's performing ability and puts him on a whole other level because he does certain things in such minute moments that they may skip youur initial observation of the moment but upon going back, you notice the many layers to even a simple move

I have noticed many on the new clips and when a certain clip is taken out of context and enlarged as it were, it emphasises those moments more

I use for this example the last seconds of mj in this clip rehearsing twymmf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGYcfvmiIQM

Just watching initially you might see mj doing a little homage to james brown...But after watching closley, you notices others specifics...Things that are purely SPONTANEOUS AND IN THE MOMENT...There in lies the genius

Watch how the girl intentioanlly or unintenionall distracts herself and laughs into the audience, mj grabs her and goes arm in arm with her...That isn't easily detectable but it is such a free but perfectly suited moment for that very moment..if that makes sense? And he certainly doesn't do that in these performances, if ever...

But the bit that gets me is the end..after he does the leg shake..He manages to make his sunglasses roll down to hs nose so he can make eye contact with the girl..WITHOUT EVEN PULLING THEM DOWN..Some might have the glasses fall off, some might make them only slightly drop down, some might not even try it or not even sub consciously think of doing it...But it is one of the moments that defines mj's feeling for the very second, the connection with the music, his genius his unpredictability which kepy him fresh and always watchable because you never knew...Nothing was duplicated

Watch for it and there are so many more specifics...Anyone got any?

Yes. it is the work of a genius. He knows what he wants and he does it. he practice, practice, practice. He did say that he dances to the rhythm/beat of the music/song. He is smooth and elegant at the same time.
Unlike other artist who dances to the choeorgrapher's direction.

Totally agree with you. Michael Jackson has always marched to the beat of his own drum.

Kenny did describe Michael as an IMPROVISATIONAL GENUIS on Oprah the other day! I cannot wait to see what other moves Michael came up with!

Things that are purely SPONTANEOUS AND IN THE MOMENT...There in lies the genius
Absolutely. Like MJ says, you have to feeeeeeel the music.
You become the strings, the violin, the bass you become the
fanfare. Thinking is the worst mistake a dancer can make.

One that comes to my mind is in the beginning of I think
the HN rehearsal also, he does this pop lock move and it
seems to be to the 2nd beat. I know...sounds weird, but
thats the way I can explain it. :scratch:Those simple but skillful
and elegant moves are volumized so much when you catch it.
He does it with such precision and grace.
Its the same with when he sings. The way he phrases a lyric
or the way we hits certain notes. His vibrato is...priceless.
He gets the picture across quite nicely. :)

michael4eva, cant watch youtube clips right now but I definitely agree with you.

That's why it has always been so enjoyable watching him perform which is what I have unfortunately only realized in July 09.

And this is also the reason why watching any impersonator, no matter how good they can be, the feeling is still very different. Not to mention that many couldnt do his moves precisely.

I also caught most of the scenes that you mentioned and I too enjoyed the interaction he had with the gal. It's so funny and entertaining but I didnt catch the sunglass part. U r indeed sharp!

Whenever I watched the released trailers of TIT these days, I always shook my head whilst watching and then let out a big sigh at the end. Bcos it was such a great pity that we couldnt watch him perform anymore. No more wonderful new creations. As I have commented in another post, this concert would have been a great comeback for him. He wanted to win a new generation of fans and amaze his kids. And just from those short trailers, I am sure he could. Because I have high standards myself and he has successfully reminded and won me over by just watching his one MTV - Smooth Criminal and BJ performance in the Motown 25th Anniversary after the unfortunate event. And certainly got more impressed as I watched more clips. I realized then that he had already set such high standards few decades back. Now on the trailers, I could see that great quality works are in progress cos you could see him in command and his efforts of wanting to show people the best that he could do. Such attitude, sincerity and passion are always felt in his works. The concert would have reminded many people that such a genius has existed (and almost forgotten)! I would really hoped that he won me over by a TIT concert DVD rather than the way things has turned out.

It's sad to know what he has gone through in the last 2 decades, especially since 1993 and that things had ended in such a way for a genius like him. It's a great loss for fans who appreciate music and performance cos even till his last days, his standards in entertaining were still that high that many current artistes werent even near. And look at those idol/talent/singers to-be from those contests...

Nonetheless, I am grateful to be able to witness and be entertained by such a genius in my lifetime. It might have been late but better than never. Thanks Michael, for leaving me so many great songs and performances and being such a great humanitarian which I hope to achieve too.

It really is the little things that when you notice them,
you see how MJ's attention to detail flows so effortlessly from his movement.
He doesnt think about it....it just flows...with such fluidity and precision
yet powerful and commanding... smooth and sexy at the same time.
You cant take your eyes off of him.
Those are the things that get me going and gives such a rush
from watching and feeling MJ.

Back