MJ out of the UK Top40

bobmoo79

Proud Member
For the first time since his death, Michael Jackson does not have an album in the UK Top 40.

The Essential slips down from 38 to 53, Bad from 49 to 57, and Thriller from 58 t0 67.

53. (38) THE ESSENTIAL (Michael Jackson) 27 wks
57. (49) BAD (Michael Jackson) 138 wks
67. (58) THRILLER (Michael Jackson) 218 wks

The This Is It album very briefly peaked at No.1 on the amazon.co.uk music chart but has since fallen down sharply to No.54. At the rate this album has sold, I don't expect it to be a No.1 album

Last edited:
the album will go nr1 -the song will not as clever fans figured we are better off not buying it and giving a cent, penny to the "co-writer"

For the first time since his death, Michael Jackson does not have an album in the UK Top 40.

The Essential slips down from 38 to 53, Bad from 49 to 57, and Thriller from 58 t0 67.

The This Is It album very briefly peaked at No.1 on the amazon.co.uk music chart but has since fallen down sharply to No.33. At the rate this album has sold, I don't expect it to be a No.1 album

Well after 4 months in the top 40....I'd say more proof of MJ's incredible impact on our culture.

It was bound to happen. I am sure Lennon, Presley and what not did not remain as long as MJ did in the Top 40.

He will go back again in 2 weeks after the movie premieres. And I am sure the album will reach # 1

The This Is It album very briefly peaked at No.1 on the amazon.co.uk music chart but has since fallen down sharply to No.33. At the rate this album has sold, I don't expect it to be a No.1 album

What do you mean? It hasn't even been released yet. This is It will def go number one. Maybe not for too long as it's just another greatest hits, but who cares? He's smashed all records anyway.

I'm just saying that thoughout the pre-sale period of the TII album, it hasn't sold very well. It went to No.1 on Amazon very briefly the other day when the single was released to radio but has now sunk again. Compared to other pre-order album sales, TII has not performed well, so I wouldn't expect it to be No.1 .
Cheryl Cole's album is released the same week and is selling better than TII during pre-sale so I would expect hers to beat TII.

It is understandable because her single has had major radio and TV airplay and the album is full of new material.

TII is just full of hits that people already bought since June.

the albums will be back in once the film is released next week and the promo that comes from that

MJ has done better in the US than the UK which I find odd. It's usually the other way around. There has never been a time when Jackson has been out of the Top 50 in the US. His Number Ones album is still #20 overall while Thriller is also in there. In the US, This Is It has remained in the Top 10 on Amazon ever since the single was released, and even before that. Currently it's at #7. In Canada, This Is It has also been in the top 10 ever since the single came out 8 days ago. Currently the album is #4 here, beating even the Twilight soundtrack! Why is it doing so poor in the UK? I just checked it's plummeted even further to #60!

MJ has done better in the US than the UK which I find odd. It's usually the other way around. There has never been a time when Jackson has been out of the Top 50 in the US. His Number Ones album is still #20 overall while Thriller is also in there. In the US, This Is It has remained in the Top 10 on Amazon ever since the single was released, and even before that. Currently it's at #7. In Canada, This Is It has also been in the top 10 ever since the single came out 8 days ago. Currently the album is #4 here, beating even the Twilight soundtrack! Why is it doing so poor in the UK? I just checked it's plummeted even further to #60!
Yes, it was always America that seemed to diss MJ and that always, always ticked me off. Right now, though, I know that they haven't been doing the same degree of advertising for the TII film here in Europe as in the US for whatever reason, so that keeps MJ more in the minds of the public there. Plus, his sales weren't as high in the US as worldwide for years, so maybe the idiots that wouldn't buy his music in years past are finally doing it. So I guess one could say that the average person in the UK is more likely to already own his albums? A thought, anyway.

Yes, it was always America that seemed to diss MJ and that always, always ticked me off. Right now, though, I know that they haven't been doing the same degree of advertising for the TII film here in Europe as in the US for whatever reason, so that keeps MJ more in the minds of the public there. Plus, his sales weren't as high in the US as worldwide for years, so maybe the idiots that wouldn't buy his music in years past are finally doing it. So I guess one could say that the average person in the UK is more likely to already own his albums? A thought, anyway.

In my city (Tampa, Florida), there is TONS of advertising, billboards & posters - maybe they concentrate in select markets.

This is It is playing in 20 different theaters here - and most shows are sold out.

We haven't had much promotion here for TII but even without the promotion it has been the biggest seller for advance screenings than any other movie in history here and there are sell outs left right and centre. I guess they felt that it didn't need much promotion in the UK.

mjs g.hits have always been big sellers in the uk. its to a point where most ppl have them. number ones was a huge seller when it first came out

Everyone's bought them, so it's natural for them to eventually fall off the chart list. Wait until the new albums are out, providing they're not all re-releases of his old stuff then they'll be #1 for months because you got old and new fans buying them. The only problem with most of the newer albums is that they are all his same songs being re-released or mixed, and if you have his older albums then aside from a couple of unreleased demos you've pretty much got them already and might aswell just buy the tracks you haven't got from iTunes unless they're strictly album purchase only.

I think once the movie come out the CD will again go to #1 let us wait and see, I know I will be buying the CD some of the money will go to his kids...

In my city (Tampa, Florida), there is TONS of advertising, billboards & posters - maybe they concentrate in select markets.

This is It is playing in 20 different theaters here - and most shows are sold out.
Yeah, that's what I meant about suprisingly not much promotion in Europe. Friends and family back in the US say the same thing you just did about where they are -- that TII is everywhere. And not here, which is odd, lol.

Michael Jackson im sure will beat Cheyl Cole in the charts, as soon as we get a little bit of promo in the UK his new album will soar to the top no doubt!!!

I'm just saying that thoughout the pre-sale period of the TII album, it hasn't sold very well. It went to No.1 on Amazon very briefly the other day when the single was released to radio but has now sunk again. Compared to other pre-order album sales, TII has not performed well, so I wouldn't expect it to be No.1 .
Cheryl Cole's album is released the same week and is selling better than TII during pre-sale so I would expect hers to beat TII.

It is understandable because her single has had major radio and TV airplay and the album is full of new material.

TII is just full of hits that people already bought since June.

I don't mean any disrespect to americans. But i think US people are a bit more obedient to the media than the UK people. so when MJ was "cool" in the eyes of the media his sales were off the hook. When he was, however, "awkward" sales took a dip in the US ONLY while still owning the world. Now he's back to being "cool" again and as you can see... He's owning.

Back