Is Invincible a Good Album

• Yes

Votes: 306 92.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 7.6%

• Total voters

loka

Proud Member
Yes or no...i really believe it's underrated.

Under-rated? Yes
A fan favourite? Yes
Poorly promoted? Yes

But, a great album? It's mostly not for me, except a few tracks (Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, 2000 Watts, Threatened and Whatever Happens). It's far too long and has so many ballads - most pretty weak, IMHO. As a review when it was released stated, it is over twice as long as Thriller and has less than half the effect.

I do listen to some tracks time-to-time, but it's not a classic.

I know I'll get attacked by people saying it is an amazing album full of heartfelt ballads etc., but there we go...

Under-rated? Yes
A fan favourite? Yes
Poorly promoted? Yes

But, a great album? It's mostly not for me, except a few tracks (Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, 2000 Watts, Threatened and Whatever Happens). It's far too long and has so many ballads - most pretty weak, IMHO. As a review when it was released stated, it is over twice as long as Thriller and has less than half the effect.

I do listen to some tracks time-to-time, but it's not a classic.

I know I'll get attacked by people saying it is an amazing album full of heartfelt ballads etc., but there we go...

feel free to vote as you want...

Last edited:
Oh yes.....for me....that album is amazing. Just amazing.
Speechles...2000 watts...Whatever happens amazing songs. I love it !!!

Its seriously one of my favs if not my fav!! I love it its perfect :) and i know MJ worked extremely hard and for a long time on it and people did not even give it chance! I LOVE IT!!

Yes!!! Invincible is sooo good! deserves wayy more credit! I mean songs like..
You are my life, dont walk away, speechless, heaven can wait, butterflies, you rock my world.. and all of them really are just incredible :D

I LOVE it! One, if not MY favourite album :) I love the variety of songs on it ;D

I really do love Invincible...There's something about some of the songs that remind me of the feel of the Thriller album...His voice and soul in some of the songs..namely, Break of Dawn, Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait...Don't know if it's just me...And, Threatened has one of the coolest beats I've ever heard....

Speechless, well, that's just another story altogether...

Of course that's a stupid question. Personally i don't have a favourite album, all of them are great.

easily yes. But it is too long for it's sake, that is a comment I happily agree on.

It's a fantastic album, but it could've been even better if Michael didn't pass up on the Justin beats - IMO.

Stand-out tracks: Heaven Can Wait, Unbreakable, You Rock My World, Break of Dawn, Whatever Happens.

One thing that is annoying for me is that they didn't use real guitars on "Don't Walk Away" and "Speechless".

It's a fantastic album, but it could've been even better if Michael didn't pass up on the Justin beats - IMO.

Stand-out tracks: Heaven Can Wait, Unbreakable, You Rock My World, Break of Dawn, Whatever Happens.

One thing that is annoying for me is that they didn't use real guitars on "Don't Walk Away" and "Speechless".

Justin beats? and no real guitar in Don't Walk Away? ... confusing post >_

The songs that we're produced by The Neptunes on Justin Timberlake's first album were meant for Michael Jackson - But Michael Jackson's manager never got them to Michael because he felt they weren't good enough.
Years later whenever Michael and Pharrell (from the Neptunes) would meet, Michael would always kid about it since he understood what he missed out on.
The beats I'm referring to are: Like I Love You, Senorita, Take It from Here, Rock Your Body, Last Night and Nothing Else,.

The guitars in "Don't Walk Away" sounds very generic if you ask me - like they come from some old keyboard, and not real guitars.
I think the guitars in "You Are My Life" sounds more organic.
I see.. well I don't think those beats would really fit the bill for MJ.. I don't know, i just don't think so. And i get you with the "generic" sounds but i never really thought about it... hmm..

BTW this is another gripe I have about Vince. MJ doesn't seem too involved in it like in his other albums, I don't know it just seemed like he didn't care or something.

wtf who voted "no"?!! hfhfjhd

lmfao I'm kididng I'm kidding, of course. :]

I see.. well I don't think those beats would really fit the bill for MJ.. I don't know, i just don't think so. And i get you with the "generic" sounds but i never really thought about it... hmm..

BTW this is another gripe I have about Vince. MJ doesn't seem too involved in it like in his other albums, I don't know it just seemed like he didn't care or something.

You can read more about it here if you want:
http://theneptunes.org/the-connection-between-michael-jackson-the-neptunes/

And here's Pharrell talking about meeting Michael (it's an awesome interview)
http://theneptunes.org/pharrell-talking-about-michael-jackson/

I don't know man, I think it could be pretty fantastic - It would be such a fresh contrast change for Michael to be on beats like Senorita or Like I Love You.

You know, Usher - U Don't Have To Call were meant for Michael also.
That would have been so in the pocket, even with the lyrics they wrote for Usher.
If Michael would've taken that entire song, he would've been the coolest motherfu**er out at the time.
Michael coming in on the bridge with his gorgeous vibrato and just:
"Gonna boogie tonight, 'cause I'm honestly too young of a guy, to stay home waiting for love - so tonight I'm gonna do what every single men does, and that's party"

I promise you, that would've been absolutely fantastic.
Because to me that's one of the few problems with Invincible, he wasn't "cool" anymore - he was a grown man.

This is VERY well said. I think MJ was involved in this but most songs are so heavily produced that the end result is not MJ like and the beats are not MJ traditional. They are modern and strange at times. There are however some songs which are RAW MJ and speechless is one of them and of course it is possibly truest MJ song on that album.

You RockMy world is another song that is very old MJ like. However, this is not a new problem for MJ. The thing is that his music span is so long that people who get attached to him with their first album or so feel strange when he changes.

For example think Off the wall and then BAD and I can assure you the people who got addicted to off the wall felt strange listening to something like Dirty Diana or Leave me alone. Then he changed again in Dangerous.

In my estimation Off The wall and Thriller are very close just like Dangerous, History are very close, some other songs also like BOTDF is VERY dangerous/ history like and then BAD is a standalone album that does not sound like any other MJ album and so is invincible.

However, BAD in my opnion is more true MJ than invincible becuse of the increasing effect of other producers in the later.

The problem I have with Invincible is that the songs seem very looped with strange beats. Like as great as a song Unbreakable is and a fantastic concert openner at that-it never feels like Jam or Scream. Unbreakable does not have the variation of Scream, which gives it a very sample-looped feel or sound. Actually Scream is less loop-ish than Jam which at times can be too long.

Now compare unbreakable with Speechless and you will see what I mean. It has much more variation (compostion wise) than Unbreakable or even Break of Dawn-which in turn cannot compare with You are not alone (a flawless MJ song in my estimation).

This is also why I think in so far as rock-ish songs go Dirty Diana and Give in to me are MUCH more superior than D.S, which in turn is vastly superior than privacy because it has less varition (more loop feel) than either of the pervious three.

So, Invincible is not a bad album is just is Very different and it does have more influence of others than all pervious MJ albums. MY problem with invincible is that it lacks the rhythm which pervious MJ albums are known for (save a few songs). I think the last great rhythm based MJ song was BOTDF. It oozes the energy I have always asociated MJ with.

Maybe because I am doing the exact same thing I wrote above about i.e I am too old for invincible haha :) but what is true is that this was not the first time MJ revisied his sound or feel. Now, when it comes to other things like vidoes or promotion that is a whole different matter.

All in All a good album but perhaps too different for most old fans like me.

Last edited:
Yes yes :wub: It was the first MJ album I ever bought...I heard of it before Thriller (lol :S) and it's what made me fall in love with MJ :wub:

The problem I have with Invincible is that the songs seem very sampled with strange beats. Like as great as a song Unbreakable is (and a fantastic concert openner) it never feels like Jam or Scream. Unbreakable does not have the variation of Scream, which gives it a very sampled feel or sound. Actually Scream is less sample-ish than Jam which at times can be too long.

So, Invincible is not a bad album is just is Very different and it does have more influence of others than all pervious MJ albums. MY problem with invincible is that it lacks the rhythm which pervious MJ albums are known for (save a few songs). I think the last great rhythm based MJ song was BOTDF. It oozes the energy I have always asociated MJ with.

I agreed with many points, but you feel that the songs on Invincible sounds "sampled" in comparison to Dangerous?! o_O

I feel that Jam is one of the most "sample sounding" songs from Michael - I mean, that brass stabs, the scratch sounds, the break beats.
It sounds like it's built up on different samples and loops and basically have no composition at all.
Same goes with minimalistic sounding "She Drives Me Wild", "In The Closet" & "Can't Let Her Get Away" - and that is why Dangerous is my favourite album from Michael, because it has the "gutter" and "rawness" to it.
BTW, "Scream" also screams sample with glass shattering and police sirens and stuff.
But with sampled you might meant that it sounds like Unbreakable is just a sampled loop that goes over and over again? (that actually make sense)

I also feel that Invincible lacks of more stand out rhythms - "Whatever Happens", "Heaven Can Wait" and "Threatened" are exceptions though.
I mean, even a down tempo kind of song like "Will You Be There" have a special rhythm - Invincible just felt "grown", you know.

bahahaha! Absolutely!

:dance: :dance:
sometimes I wonder if one of these days I might actually crash through the ceiling...:D

LMAO, I've acutally hit my head in the ceiling while dancing as a kid (in a place with not too high of a ceiling though) :lol:

Last edited:
Back