View Poll Results: Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

Voters
492. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL YES!! He could have done 50 AND MORE! (please explain below)

104 21.14%
  • Yeah, I think he was ready for 50, with the breaks here and there. (please explain below)

252 51.22%
  • No, he was not healthy enough to do 50 shows. (please explain below)

136 27.64%
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion - Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,888 Times in 1,800 Posts

Default Re: Your Opinion - Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

Nope.

Even with the 2-3 day breaks, Michael's drug dependency was too severe for me to believe that he would've made it through every show. I'd bet money that several dates would be canceled.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Nope.

Even with the 2-3 day breaks, Michael's drug dependency was too severe for me to believe that he would've made it through every show. I'd bet money that several dates would be canceled.
    As it was on the Dangerous Tour. He survived that, because of doctors who knew what they were doing.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    As it was on the Dangerous Tour. He survived that, because of doctors who knew what they were doing.
    He was 15-16 years younger and more healthier during the Dangerous Tour.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

In my honest opinion, no he coudn't. When I watched This is it he wasn't the same, his dance moves weren't the same, but he was 50 years old and as we ALL get old our moves aren't the same as when we had 20 or 30. That's a reality for everyone. So to me, no he coudn't. I bet that many many dates would be cancelled and the people would say that he wasn't the same Michael from the Bad and Dangerous eras. Of course he wasn't cause he was getting old, that's understandble and he had other problema like sleeping, he had pain in his body for all those years he performed. He coudn't.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentKindOfLady View Post
    In my honest opinion, no he coudn't. When I watched This is it he wasn't the same, his dance moves weren't the same, but he was 50 years old and as we ALL get old our moves aren't the same as when we had 20 or 30. That's a reality for everyone. So to me, no he coudn't. I bet that many many dates would be cancelled and the people would say that he wasn't the same Michael from the Bad and Dangerous eras. Of course he wasn't cause he was getting old, that's understandble and he had other problema like sleeping, he had pain in his body for all those years he performed. He coudn't.
    When I first saw the movie I was mesmerized. He wasn’t dancing full out, just like the dangerous tour rehearsals. But doing dance routines like smooth criminal and beat it, even on Billie Jean he showed some serious moves there. I think he still could do it. Yes he was older, but his voice sounded better than ever and when he was dancing “full out” I saw the same Michael again we all knew. Maybe it’s just me, but I got goosebumps when I watched him sing and dance. It was magic for me. I went to the cinema three times.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IMWhizzle For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
    When I first saw the movie I was mesmerized. He wasn’t dancing full out, just like the dangerous tour rehearsals. But doing dance routines like smooth criminal and beat it, even on Billie Jean he showed some serious moves there. I think he still could do it. Yes he was older, but his voice sounded better than ever and when he was dancing “full out” I saw the same Michael again we all knew. Maybe it’s just me, but I got goosebumps when I watched him sing and dance. It was magic for me. I went to the cinema three times.
    He dances extremelly well, don't get me wrong. But to me he was different, he didn't had that sparkle. He seemed tired especially in a scene where he asks for a towel. If you watch that clip with attention he seemed so tired of all that. I really don't think he could do all the fifty shows, many of them would be cancelled.
    As for his voice, to me he sounded really good like he always sounded. I was just talking about the dance. Those shows would probably killed him and he knew he wouldn't be able to performance at his highest level forever. He was human and one day he would have to be retired.
    I know now it's too late but I used to wonder what kind of stuff he would do if he retired. Maybe he would just sing and non dancing.... Don't know.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,052 Posts

I was gonna say no. but from seeing Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire in their 60's. probably yes! if the doctor said he was healthy for other people his age yes. 50 shows? i don't know. i guess with breaks. but i wouldn't say yes. Michael say he wanted to do 10 so.... i guess 10 would have been better for him. if mike was alive today he probably would be up there dancing and still making music like Gene and Fred. it would be amazing to hear how his new music would sound like. i know it would been fire! lol! he would been still blowing up the charts not like he still isn't today. but i got a feelings his music would probably be on the ball. it really hurts we won't never hear how his music would have been today.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Deleted
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 19-12-2019 at 01:14 AM. Reason: made an mistake

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

If Michael was alive today he probably would be still dancing look at my last post with Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. now if Michael planned to retired I don't think he would of stop making music or maybe touring. later in Prince life he still tour but he didn't dance. even though Prince wasn't much an dancer anyway. I think Michael would be still making music also doing movies because that what he wanted to do with his life. he could of wrote children books which he wanted to do. also probably work with children. though due to the fake lies then and now. i'm not sure would he still of did it.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Michael could of did so much more in this lifetime but sadly a lot people ruin him and didn't like him no reason at all. i really appreciate what all he gave to us when he was still on this earth.

He's a legend and a genius. bless him.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,097 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    He was 15-16 years younger and more healthier during the Dangerous Tour.
    Yeah and he barely even survived that tour. By the end of the tour his health had badly deteriorated .

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Yeah and he barely even survived that tour. By the end of the tour his health had badly deteriorated .
    With proper care & diet he would have been fine. Don't forget his body was trained from very early age. Your body has muscle memory that will come back quickly when you start your "old routine" again. Does it get more difficult with age: yes, I'm getting 38 in April and I feel I'm not 18, 25 or even 30 anymore.

But when I get back into the gym or other sports I used to do frequently, I'm surprised how quickly things come back in terms of strength, stamina, muscle memory and flexibility. Same with other people I know. And I'm your "average John", not a professional athlete and never trained like one, though I did fair bits of exercise throughout various stages of my life, but nothing competitive except for football (soccer for the US people) when I was in my mid teens at a not very high level.

Doing 2 shows a week when you're properly trained and taking good care of your body nutrition wise is doable, also at age 50. There are artists that have proven so. Not having to travel would've helped a great bit. A world tour such as Bad/Dangerous/History would have been too much probably imho, but a residency he could have pulled off.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    With proper care & diet he would have been fine. Don't forget his body was trained from very early age. Your body has muscle memory that will come back quickly when you start your "old routine" again. Does it get more difficult with age: yes, I'm getting 38 in April and I feel I'm not 18, 25 or even 30 anymore.

But when I get back into the gym or other sports I used to do frequently, I'm surprised how quickly things come back in terms of strength, stamina, muscle memory and flexibility. Same with other people I know. And I'm your "average John", not a professional athlete and never trained like one, though I did fair bits of exercise throughout various stages of my life, but nothing competitive except for football (soccer for the US people) when I was in my mid teens at a not very high level.

Doing 2 shows a week when you're properly trained and taking good care of your body nutrition wise is doable, also at age 50. There are artists that have proven so. Not having to travel would've helped a great bit. A world tour such as Bad/Dangerous/History would have been too much probably imho, but a residency he could have pulled off.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    You omitted a very important detail about Michael Jackson’s health case, a detail that can invalidate your entire argument here.

I am talking about his insomnia, which at the time reached a point where he practically could not cure it at all.

Even if he got trained and got good body nutrition, his deprivation of sleep would not have allowed him to perform on consecutive days in 2009.

Other performers or athletes in his age (in their early fifties) can vigorously dance or exercise, but these can sleep at nights, whereas Michael Jackson could not sleep at all.

Michael Jackson could not perform even for a one-off show during his final months.

Take for example, the fact that although he was offered a huge amount of money (a reportedly £1.8 million payment) by a Russian billionaire to perform for him at one of the billionaire's luxurious parties (at Black Sea), he eventually backed out of that commitment due to his health issues.

Also, during the ‘This Is It’ rehearsals, Michael Jackson collapsed on several occasions.

At one occasion (on June 19th, 2009), he could not even step onto the stage to rehearse and Kenny Ortega helped him to just sit and watch the dancers’ rehearsals.

Michael Jackson could not get his strength, stamina, muscle memory and flexibility back also because he was at the time dependent on very strong drugs (like, ephedrine), which evidently do not allow the body to physically retain its previous healthy state while one is taking them.

AEG Live’s announcement that they hired the American fitness trainer Louis Ferrigno in order to train him (for the 'This Is It' shows) proved to be eventually just a publicity stunt.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    AEG Live’s announcement that they hired the American fitness trainer Louis Ferrigno in order to train him (for the 'This Is It' shows) proved to be eventually just a publicity stunt.
    A stunt? You think Ferrigno is lying about training with Michael?

As to the topic's question. I think the Michael that showed up to rehearsals in April 2009 might have been able to, with appropriate time for preparation, proper physicians monitoring him, and counseling. The July dates were way too soon for both the production as a whole, as well as MJ's personal preparation. But I don't think there was anything physically limiting him from doing the shows in principle.

The condition he was in when he passed is a completely different story though. Had MJ survived in June, I do not think for a second that he would have been able to fulfill the scheduled dates. Sure, with his natural talent and given the pressure he felt, he may have pushed himself to deliver some decent rehearsal performances. But actually doing a full show is a completely different story.

Yeah, having the dates spaced out and staying in the same location all help, but you need to be in excellent shape to perform at the level MJ did, especially at his older age. We've learned through the Murray and AEG trials that people involved with the production knew he was not doing well, even to the extent that they thought they might have to cancel the shows. He was suffering severe psychological and physiological symptoms as a result of the drugs he was administered every single day by Murray, the stress, and the lack of normal sleep. As sad as it is, there's no way around the fact that he was in really poor health the last weeks of his life.

I just wish the entire This Is It project would have never happened.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoCav View Post
    A stunt? You think Ferrigno is lying about training with Michael?

As to the topic's question. I think the Michael that showed up to rehearsals in April 2009 might have been able to, with appropriate time for preparation, proper physicians monitoring him, and counseling. The July dates were way too soon for both the production as a whole, as well as MJ's personal preparation. But I don't think there was anything physically limiting him from doing the shows in principle.

The condition he was in when he passed is a completely different story though. Had MJ survived in June, I do not think for a second that he would have been able to fulfill the scheduled dates. Sure, with his natural talent and given the pressure he felt, he may have pushed himself to deliver some decent rehearsal performances. But actually doing a full show is a completely different story.

Yeah, having the dates spaced out and staying in the same location all help, but you need to be in excellent shape to perform at the level MJ did, especially at his older age. We've learned through the Murray and AEG trials that people involved with the production knew he was not doing well, even to the extent that they thought they might have to cancel the shows. He was suffering severe psychological and physiological symptoms as a result of the drugs he was administered every single day by Murray, the stress, and the lack of normal sleep. As sad as it is, there's no way around the fact that he was in really poor health the last weeks of his life.

I just wish the entire This Is It project would have never happened.
    If I recall correctly a Dr at one of the trials said that MJ would have died because he wasn't sleeping, so even if he had survived he would not have been able to go on much longer.