We Are The World 25 for Haiti / Official video now in first post.

Rockin.

Proud Member
UPDATE:

WATCH THE FINISHED PRODUCT HERE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't find this posted anywhere, please delete if there is already a thread.

pa.press.net, Updated: 21/01/2010
We Are The World to be re-recorded

FC8C7B6E90252D7F85717B1E2C8BA0.jpg

Lionel Richie is to re-record We Are The World

Lionel Richie and Quincy Jones are planning a 25th anniversary re-recording of We Are The World.

The Hollywood Reporter says that Usher, Natalie Cole and John Legend have been invited to take part in the supergroup single, which was originally released in 1985 after the success of Band Aid in the UK.

Lionel and Quincy, who co-wrote and co-produced the song respectively with Michael Jackson, hope an abundance of stars will take part in the celebration on February 1 - a day after the Grammy Awards ceremony, which will include a tribute to the late King of Pop.

All the Grammy nominees and participants will also be asked to take part, the Hollywood Reporter said.

The event was originally due to take part on January 28 but the date changed in the wake of the Haiti earthquake - and now all proceeds will go towards the relief fund.

http://music.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=151825460

Last edited:
Re: We Are The World to be re-recorded for Haiti.

That is a nice gesture and even if they mean well - this thing can't sound good

Its a lovely thing to do and lots of artists are releasing charity singles, Simon Cowell is also doing one, but it just won't sound the same without Michael. Even so I really hope this makes a lot of money for Haiti.

I ain't feeling that idea.

This new version will end up being compared to the old version and in my opinion, the OLD VERSION will win out, of course.

If they want to record a song for Haiti, why can't someone just write a brand new song.

P.S. Simon Cowell is also going to produce a charity song for Haiti. He said it would include Susan Boyle and Ms. Lewis (I forgot her first name).

Its nice to release this song again, shame Mj vocals will not be in it. Im sure MJ would be involved in doing this for a good cause.

‘We Are the World’ Sequel Set to Aid Haiti

By: Roger Friedman // Wednesday January 20, 2010
quincy.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: This column has learned that Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie are planning a massive 25th anniversary re-recording of “We Are the World.”
The timing couldn’t be better, sadly enough.

The duo is summoning lots and lots of talent from Grammy weekend to stay an extra night — Monday Feb. 1 — and come to the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. There, they will celebrate a quarter century since Ken Kragen, Richie and Michael Jackson organized the original “We Are the World” with Quincy.

This time the artists invited include Usher, Natalie Cole, and John Legend. But you can bet that more names will be added shortly and that all the Grammy nominees and participants will be asked to come as well. Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich will produce the event, which will then be turned into a video and single just like it was in 1985.

Don’t be surprised if Wyclef Jean joins in, along with Sting, Fergie, Alicia Keys, Justin Timberlake and other distinctive voices. (Thats all just speculation)

It’s hoped that as in 1985, everyone will “leave their egos at the door.”

Originally, this anniversary celebration was to be held on Jan. 28. But when the Haiti earthquake happened, sources tell me, the whole deal changed. Now proceeds will go to Haiti relief. In 1985, “We Are the World,” which begat Live Aid, raised money for Africa relief.

Plans are still sketchy, but one thing’s for sure: In some way, the song’s co-author Michael Jackson will be invoked. AEG is co-producing this event. They’re also putting together a 3D tribute to Michael for the Grammy show from elements Jackson was going to use for his tour. Jackson recorded “We Are the World” for what became “This Is It.” Surely he’ll be included here as well, which will make the whole project even more poignant.

Stay tuned. PS: Quincy Jones is about to release what has been described to me as a landmark new album that he’s made with contemporary R&B and hip hop artists. He was responsible for the original “We Are the World” and will guide the new one. He is not a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in case you were wondering.

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/2010/01/20/we-are-the-world-25-sequel-aid-haiti-quincy-jones/

Hmmm..

^^ Roger Friedman, taking it with a huge bag of salt.

Right, there is a lot of speculation in that article.

I hope they keep MJ in the song somehow.

Nice idea, hope MJ will be in the song! :)

I wish I cared for Quincy as much as I did when the original was done. Oh well...

MJ will be included in the song. They will probably just use his original vocals.

Mike will be in it. They could use vocals from the demo outtakes they may have from the original session.

On another note, I'm sure theres another Heal The World type of song in the vaults. As greedy as a certain company that deals with Mike's music seems to be, they should dust it off, release it and donate the proceeds to Haiti. If they want to keep his legacy alive, they should do what he would do

I think that's sweet, I'm sure with Lionel Richie involved it'll be done well. Here's hoping it raises a lot of money.

As long as MJs in, I'm fine with it.

On another note, I'm sure theres another Heal The World type of song in the vaults. As greedy as a certain company that deals with Mike's music seems to be, they should dust it off, release it and donate the proceeds to Haiti. If they want to keep his legacy alive, they should do what he would do

"From the Bottom of My Heart" - the unreleased charity recording for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Wow...never realised people would be so eager to jump on the back of this song before its even been recorded. Give it a chance guys.

it funny because when the earthquake happened I was thinking about this.....if the stars would all come together in the way that Michael and Lionel did for USA for Africa.....well they sure did answer my question....the sad thing is that Michael isnt here to participate...they will probably use tracks from We are the World original......I dont think anything new could ever be as good as the original version..but...I do hope for the sake of the Haitian people that the song will raise alot of money..
edit.....as a matter of fact I have the original one on my ipod....I love Michael's voice in it...

^^ Roger Friedman, taking it with a huge bag of salt.

Yeah..this is the guy who said MJ wasn't a songwriter. He even went as far as calling MJ a thief.

Oh no!! Please not without Michael. :no:
It's going to take away from the original meaning of the song & how it helped out. I'm all for helping Haiti, but they can make another song with other artists. :(

As long as MJs in, I'm fine with it.

"From the Bottom of My Heart" - the unreleased charity recording for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Not only that.........

People of the world- recorded by MJ in 1999 , covered by Japanese band J-friends

Children's holiday- Recorded by MJ 1998 , covered by japanese Band J-friends.

I have a dream - The charity song that was recorded in Bahrain........

MJ has many more songs that we don't know about stored in the vault.........

I really hope they will keep MJ's vocals in the song, it will raise a lot more money and sound way better (with all due respect to the other artists of course). Don't know why exactly but reading this news made me cry...I feel so sad!

They should either leave MJ's original vocals in the new version (in the same spots where he sang), or add some of his vocals from his demo version.

I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully It won't be overproduced and won't sound like garbage

this bring up a point that shouldn't be regarded as insensitive. why is there controversy over people giving money out of their own pockets?

the fact is, i wouldn't buy the song, without Michael. there was an event where guys were asked to do something they didn't want to do, to raise money for Haiti..so they didn't do it.

i don't know how else to describe it..the spirit behind the thing has to be right, apparently.

if ur gunna do something, it's better to not do it at all, than to be forced to do it, when it comes to giving.

it may be a controversial statement, but it's how the world has always been, before most of us came along.

be a happy giver..or else, u might as well not give.

it also reminds me of the fact that the original we are the world sold out so fast, i was never able to get it. if they just re release the original, i'll be on it, with my money, before the dust leaves the safe deposit box.

all people have to do, it seems, instead of coming up with ideas that make people feel guilty, if they don't want to participate..is..simply give money out ur own pocket, without a fund rasing event. but..geez..there seems to be controversy over making that simple gesture.

Last edited:

MJ wrote it almost entirely, its a shame that Lionel is named as a co-writer.

Maybe we should take action to make sure Michael's vocals are in the song.
Write a letter from MJJC to Lionel Richie or something like that.
Just to let them know the fans are still here for Michael and Michael is still "here" for Haïti.

I hope they keep Michael in the song. If he was here he would be a part of this.

MJ wrote it almost entirely, its a shame that Lionel is named as a co-writer.

that's the case with anything where MJ was a co participant. the phrase 'broke the mold' is a cliche..except when it comes to MJ. he really was selfless...

but let's face it..u could feel his stamp on something. as long as he put his name on it..i'm cool. i know who the big bread winner is, in the contribution sweepstakes, here. it's MJ.

u wanna participate in charity...don't give the wrong impression about urself, in doing it..lol

Last edited:

I hope it works out ok but IMO redoing something that was originally perfect never works.
UK's original "do they know its christmas" was re-done a while back with new artists and it was just awful.

This song should not be sang by anyone else apart from the original singers and participants! Shame on them...this song is a trademark!

I support it as long as Michael's voice is in there. And I'm not talking about a little snippet so that we can we can be appeased. He wrote the lyrics and that should be able to come across clearly in this new production.

Would be nice to have them invite the Jacksons to participate in the song also.

Michael lived his life to help others and that should not be forgotten even in death.

Last edited:
Back