All About The 2300 Album

billyworld99

Proud Member
2300 Jackson Street is the final studio album released by American Pop/R&B group The Jacksons, and their final album for record label Epic, released in the United States on March 29, 1989 (see 1989 in music). Their final album debuted at #59 on the Billboard 200 and at #14 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, and would sell over half a million copies worldwide

For most of this album, The Jacksons consisted of Jermaine, Jackie, Randy, and Tito Jackson. Michael Jackson and Marlon Jackson appear only on the title track, along with their sisters, Rebbie and Janet (middle sister La Toya was, at the time of this album, estranged from the family and therefore does not appear on the song).

The Jacksons decided to enter new territory by working with new jack swing producers Teddy Riley and Gene Griffin on "She" and the title track (first collaboration with Michael, before the album Dangerous) and the team Antonio "L.A." Reid and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds on the single "Nothin' (That Compares 2 U)". The Jacksons co-produced four tracks with Attala Zane Giles, three songs were produced by Michael Omartian (one co-produced by The Jacksons), while "Maria" was produced by Jermaine Jackson.

The album's title and cover photograph represent the Jacksons' boyhood home in Gary, Indiana. 2300 Jackson Street received some notice in R&B venues (alongside the title track), but was largely ignored by pop audiences. The Jacksons formally disbanded after its release, with Jermaine returning to his solo career, and Randy, Tito, and Jackie going on to become session musicians

i think it was was a good album don't know why it didn't sell well and i'm kinda of worried that their new album will repeat of this one becuase of the media and with the young people buying the albums now idk, i hope janet's new album doesn't go the same direction as 20 y.o and discipline since people overshadowed abit with the new divas out now idk

Last edited:
2300 Jackson St, I liked it a lot when I first heard it, but it doesn't do it for me anymore. Can't say why, just taste changes I guess. I liked Art of Madness a lot. But the album, compared to its contemporaries of the day, holds its own. . . . I think the obvious reason it didn't sell well is that Michael only appeared on one verse. Even though I think the Jacksons are talented, even I would be disappointed w/ anything they did that didn't feature their more gifted/entertaining brother. I guess kind of like Queen, they still tour w/out Freddie and they're a talented group of people, but it's just not a Queen album/concert w/out Freddie.

EDIT: I'm aware groups like Queen change their name to something close like "Queen with Paul Rogers," or "The Doors" to "The 21st Century Doors," basically to refute people like me, but come on, who are they fooling lol, especially when they do all of the old group's hits.

2300 Jackson St, I liked it a lot when I first heard it, but it doesn't do it for me anymore. Can't say why, just taste changes I guess. I liked Art of Madness a lot. But the album, compared to its contemporaries of the day, holds its own. . . . I think the obvious reason it didn't sell well is that Michael only appeared on one verse. Even though I think the Jacksons are talented, even I would be disappointed w/ anything they did that didn't feature their more gifted/entertaining brother. I guess kind of like Queen, they still tour w/out Freddie and they're a talented group of people, but it's just not a Queen album/concert w/out Freddie.

EDIT: I'm aware groups like Queen change their name to something close like "Queen with Paul Rogers," or "The Doors" to "The 21st Century Doors," basically to refute people like me, but come on, who are they fooling lol, especially when they do all of the old group's hits.

yeah i asked my mom who grew up in the 70''s and 80's era why ddin't people give the 4 four brothers a chance and she said the public don't pay attention to back up singers only the leader, i mean it sad that they didn't get major success on their solo work either it they expect them to be on an artistic level like their little brother

yeah i asked my mom who grew up in the 70''s and 80's era why ddin't people give the 4 four brothers a chance and she said the public don't pay attention to back up singers only the leader, i mean it sad that they didn't get major success on their solo work either it they expect them to be on an artistic level like their little brother
In a hard rock or metal group, the guitarist is generally the focus.

In a hard rock or metal group, the guitarist is generally the focus.
The Jackson's were not a hard rock group, and once Michael left the attention went with him, hardly few people know that Marlon too left the group after the Victory tour too, nobody cared, nobody is blaming him for ''abandoning'' the rest. Hypocrisy and double standards at it's best.

New Edition

she said the public don't pay attention to back up singers only the leader, i mean it sad that they didn't get major success on their solo work either it they expect them to be on an artistic level like their little brother
I think Bell Biv DeVoe and even Bobby Brown is an exception to this. In New Edition most of the leads was Ralph Tresvant, with some occasional from Ricky Bell & Bobby Brown in the original lineup. Johnny Gill was already a solo act before joining NE, so technically he doesn't really count in this scenario. When Ralph & Johnny decided to do some solo records, I don't think many people thought Michael Bivins, Ricky Bell, & Ronald DeVoe was going to do anything. They've even said this themselves that they thought they would have to wait a couple of years for the others solo projects to die down for NE to regroup. But when Jimmy Jam told them they should form a group themselves, they tried it out. To this day their hit Poison is fairly popular. It's interesting that Ralph had the least success of the members as a solo act and Bobby the most.

Teddy Riley & Andre Harrell interviewed by Zack Greenburg at 2018 SXSW

Starting around 16:00 Teddy talks a little about working on this album

I love Teddy, but that man can't keep his lies straight. I could have sworn that he said Remember the Time was the first track they worked on together.

[video=youtube;9DufPV5ms2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DufPV5ms2U[/video]

Back