Was Michael Jackson Part of the Cause and the Victim of a Doctor-Patient Relationship

Moulin Rouge

Proud Member
Was Michael Jackson Part of the Cause and Clearly the Victim of a Perverted Doctor-Patient Relationship?

Dr. Johnny Benjamin(Orthopedic Spine Surgeon, Medical Journalist)
Posted: February 16, 2010 06:52 AM

The death of Michael Jackson was both unnecessary and deeply troubling. The thought of a well-trained cardiologist divorcing himself from the realm of sanity and performing general anesthesia in someone's bedroom defies words. This rogue physician's lack of integrity cost a man his life, his family a loved one and the world a prodigy.

Unfortunately these actions underscore a potentially dangerous and far too common trend occurring in doctor's offices throughout America: patient-mandated care.

I am all for patient education and the benefits of the internet but there is an appropriate manner in which to utilize this information. Direct marketing of drugs, procedures and surgical implants to patients has significantly altered the doctor-patient relationship and the dynamics of the interaction.

It is virtually impossible to watch the evening news without being bombarded with the latest celebrity endorsed osteoporosis drug. Watching the TV commercials during a major sporting event is far better than an actual office visit to diagnose and treat one's erectile dysfunction. And if the erection lasts more than 4 hours, consider yourself blessed!

A person walking into a doctor's office and demanding various treatments and/or medications often before the doctor has completed their greeting is a common example of what I call patient mandated care. "Hello Mr. Smith, I'm Dr. Benjamin. I understand...yeah nice to meet you doc. I'm here for some pain medication". No history and physical examination, no review of prior treatment or medications, just give me what I want.

Information is empowering and useful. A patient demanding specific care is potentially dangerous and often a tremendous waste of resources. Truly, a version of this scenario plays out everyday in virtually every doctor's office in America.

The correct answer is for the physician to merely say no; many do, which invariably sparks a confrontation. It only takes one doctor to acquiesce and take the easy road and write that prescription, order that unnecessary test or perform that procedure.

Unfortunately, as in the case of Michael Jackson, the world has painfully learned how horribly wrong the perverted doctor patient relationship can go. The moral to this story is to be very careful of what you demand and beg for in a doctor's office, because you may be just one questionable physician away from serious heartache and pain.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johnny-benjamin/was-michael-jackson-part_b_463496.html

i think the article is unfortunately titled, probably for "effect". The writer is basically saying there is something wrong in the medical profession when patients can ask and receive anything they want, and that patient beware because it only takes one unethical doctor and you may get what you want even though it's dangerous.

the title makes it sound like mj could be to blame, but i don't think the article is actually suggesting that.

all MJ wanted was sleep and all Murray cared about how could he make MJ's problem more severe so he could ask for more money . Murray is a criminal and should be treated as a criminal not just a doctor who commited a mistake .

boooy that artcle is so true!! I know it is.

"...yeah nice to meet you doc. I'm here for some pain medication". No history and physical examination, no review of prior treatment or medications, just give me what I want. ...
This is what happened.

Lord knows how much I still suffer and still cry. Michael asked for it! :( He should have asked for an appropriated help, not alot of pills. :( :( I have read the autopsy, and I cant understand how he could even walk(too many pills). :( If there is a psychiatrist here, I know she/he will agree with me.

:no: :boohoo:

boooy that artcle is so true!! I know it is.

This is what happened.

Lord knows how much I still suffer and still cry. Michael asked for it! :( He should have asked for an appropriated help, not alot of pills. :( :( I have read the autopsy, and I cant understand how he could even walk(too many pills). :( If there is a psychiatrist here, I know she/he will agree with me.

:no: :boohoo:
Michael had no pills in his stomach neither did he ask for pain medication. Maybe you should read the autopsy report and try to go by facts instead of whatever illusions you have in your head. Not even his organs showed signs of long time drug (ab)use, if he had popped as many pills as you claim to know, sure his autopsy report would have showed something else :smilerolleyes::smilerolleyes::smilerolleyes:

Last edited:
Michael had no pills in his stomach neither did he ask for pain medication. Maybe you should read the autopsy report and try to go by facts instead of whatever illusions you have in your head. Not even his organs showed signs of long time drug (ab)use, if he had popped as many pills as you claim to know, sure his autopsy report would have showed something else :smilerolleyes::smilerolleyes::smilerolleyes:
I may be wrong(i'll check later) but i think michael did have some pills in his system but they were given to him by murray to sleep, not pain medication.

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Well said!

I may be wrong(i'll check later) but i think michael did have some pills in his system but they were given to him by murray to sleep, not pain medication.
yes! that's what I'm talking about. sleeping pills.

sometimes he was "grog" :( he would sign gifts and give them back to the fans instead of taking the gifts.

it hurts me that those people who worked with him did nothing. :no:

by the way, I'm not here to fight. I'm here to discuss things with mature people. :sigh:

sometimes he was "grog" :( he would sign gifts and give them back to the fans instead of taking the gifts.

by the way, I'm not here to fight. I'm here to discuss things with mature people. :sigh:
maybe that was a misunderstanding on michael part, the signing the gifts and giving them back.

when are you saying michael was "grog" because the last couple of years he seemed ok to me, he was thinner than he had been in a while but he was never a big man. I don't think pilsl were michael problem anymore he was misguided by doctors and he trusted them too much.

most of the people who worked for michael didn't care about his well being, if they thought something was wrong they'd turn the other cheek and weren't concerned as long as they were getting paid.

michael didn't need medical professional "friends", he needed a doctor who could find him safe and effective help for his problem whether it be insomnia or something else. Just remember michael only had drugs in his system which murray gave him to "sleep".

maybe that was a misunderstanding on michael part, the signing the gifts and giving them back.

when are you saying michael was "grog" because the last couple of years he seemed ok to me, he was thinner than he had been in a while but he was never a big man. I don't think pilsl were michael problem anymore he was misguided by doctors and he trusted them too much.

most of the people who worked for michael didn't care about his well being, if they thought something was wrong they'd turn the other cheek and weren't concerned as long as they were getting paid.

michael didn't need medical professional "friends", he needed a doctor who could find him safe and effective help for his problem whether it be insomnia or something else. Just remember michael only had drugs in his system which murray gave him to "sleep".
Oh! I'm not talking about "years", I'm talking about his... humm... :( last days. Everything I said is about the last days, including the gifts part.

I'm sure, when the trail takes place, everyone will hear how Michael Jackson got involved with Propofol or any other drugs that he came into contact with. I am sure that we will hear how drugs were prescribed to Michael. I'm sure we will hear how Conrad Murray ended up being the doctor of Michael Jackson. Somebody has a lot of explaining to do and that's why I'm keeping an open mind, because there will be two sides to this story. Somewhere in the middle there must be the truth.

Oh! I'm not talking about "years", I'm talking about his... humm... :( last days. Everything I said is about the last days, including the gifts part.
Did you see him personally during his last days?

Unfortunately these actions underscore a potentially dangerous and far too common trend occurring in doctor's offices throughout America: patient-mandated care.

I am all for patient education and the benefits of the internet but there is an appropriate manner in which to utilize this information. Direct marketing of drugs, procedures and surgical implants to patients has significantly altered the doctor-patient relationship and the dynamics of the interaction.

A person walking into a doctor's office and demanding various treatments and/or medications often before the doctor has completed their greeting is a common example of what I call patient mandated care. "Hello Mr. Smith, I'm Dr. Benjamin. I understand...yeah nice to meet you doc. I'm here for some pain medication". No history and physical examination, no review of prior treatment or medications, just give me what I want.

Information is empowering and useful. A patient demanding specific care is potentially dangerous and often a tremendous waste of resources. Truly, a version of this scenario plays out everyday in virtually every doctor's office in America.

The correct answer is for the physician to merely say no; many do, which invariably sparks a confrontation. It only takes one doctor to acquiesce and take the easy road and write that prescription, order that unnecessary test or perform that procedure.

Unfortunately, as in the case of Michael Jackson, the world has painfully learned how horribly wrong the perverted doctor patient relationship can go. The moral to this story is to be very careful of what you demand and beg for in a doctor's office, because you may be just one questionable physician away from serious heartache and pain.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johnny-benjamin/was-michael-jackson-part_b_463496.html

Some of this article is very true and unless you are on the side of being a caregiver in a hospital. a doctor in a doctors office or work in the Emergency Room, it is hard to understand the pressure physicians are put under by patients. There are some bad doctors who write prescriptions they should not but there are also some patients who demand drugs too and they often go from facility to facility to get them.

I know these things are being more looked at now but its a hard thing to stop because some people really are in pain and have real problems and you can't ignore their cries for help either.

I am so sorry Michael had trouble sleeping and wish it had gone so much differently for him. I don't really know how it got so bad he would even consider Propofol or any such powerful sedative; and I don't know if Murray had said no if he would have found someone else. Probably. The sad thing is that people will do things for money and thats the truth.

Some of this article is very true and unless you are on the side of being a caregiver in a hospital. a doctor in a doctors office or work in the Emergency Room, it is hard to understand the pressure physicians are put under by patients. There are some bad doctors who write prescriptions they should not but there are also some patients who demand drugs too and they often go from facility to facility to get them.

I know these things are being more looked at now but its a hard thing to stop because some people really are in pain and have real problems and you can't ignore their cries for help either.

I am so sorry Michael had trouble sleeping and wish it had gone so much differently for him. I don't really know how it got so bad he would even consider Propofol or any such powerful sedative; and I don't know if Murray had said no if he would have found someone else. Probably. The sad thing is that people will do things for money and thats the truth.
Yeap! I agree with you! You said everything I wanted to say.
Thanks.

Michael Jackson's Coroner's Report states:
The standard of care for administering propofol was not met... Recommended equipment for patient monitoring, precision dosing and resuscitation was not present," ... A blood-pressure cuff and portable pulse oximeter (measures oxygen in the blood) were found in a closet in a room next to Michael Jackson's, the investigator notes. One oxygen canister was present; which was empty.

You might like to read the full coroner's report for Michael Jackson.
Here's another link:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0208101jackson1.html

My concern is that we only have Conrad Murray's version of this relationship. Michael is not here to give his side ...

I have just read what you wrote to me in my "Latest Reputation Received".
"ignorant, mind, Michael never asked for pills"

I DO NOT tolerate any aggressive behavior against me because I DO NOT treat anybody in here like I have been treated by you!
Just because I stated MY opinion. I DID NOT mention your name and I DID NOT cause you any harm by stating my opinion!

I ask for respect!

I have reported you and I have contacted the president of this forum.

Thank you.

I have just read what you wrote to me in my "Latest Reputation Received".
"ignorant, mind, Michael never asked for pills"

I DO NOT tolerate any aggressive behavior against me because I DO NOT treat anybody in here like I have been treated by you!
Just because I stated MY opinion. I DID NOT mention your name and I DID NOT cause you any harm by stating my opinion!

I ask for respect!

I have reported you and I have contacted the president of this forum.

Thank you.

You Go Girl!! Enough of this attacking people for simply having a differing opinion than someone elses.

Can we not have any threads that don't resort to these petty attacks? :doh: It's really getting boring.

This place is really going in circles isn't it :( All these personal attacks don't do anyone any good. It alienates fans for having thoughts of their own. Michael wouldn't have liked this at all.

You Go Girl!! Enough of this attacking people for simply having a differing opinion than someone elses.
Yeah attacking people is useless and unnecessary.
Thank you!

Can we not have any threads that don't resort to these petty attacks? :doh: It's really getting boring.
I know it's boring and unnecessary. I apologize. But like I said b4, I dont tolerate aggressive comments towards me for simply stating my opinion.

This place is really going in circles isn't it :( All these personal attacks don't do anyone any good. It alienates fans for having thoughts of their own. Michael wouldn't have liked this at all.
I know right! :-\

I see that something has been done and I thank you MODS and Gaz.

My concern is that we only have Conrad Murray's version of this relationship. Michael is not here to give his side ...
Well that's the trouble, everyone is here to give their side expect michael but there is nothing we can do about that.

Hmmmmmmmm........well, I understand where the writer og this article is coming from. And what he say is true, people are often trying to find anything that can work and help if they are desperate. And when doctors tell them that something is imposible or require something else then a pill or surgery to fix the problem that is not welcomed. But in this case i do think that the situation had some extraordinary elements. And that is the fact that people with integrity is hard to find when the possibility of earning a lotof money is present. That is kind of a paradox, but combine that with a person who has some real health problems and there is potential for disaster. However, in this case there are also so many unexplainable things that I will not simply accept that this was an "accident" or an unfortunate combination of a patient in need and a all to willing doctor bending the rules and any form of common sense in terms of treatment.

We know that Michael had huge problems to sleep.
It seemed quite common he had sleepless nights, maybe sometimes he didn´t sleep for two nights in a row and of course you get very tired and stressed when you´re not able to sleep.
You do mistakes, like signing gifts and give them back.
More accidents happens because people are tired then because they have taken drugs.
It´s also used as torture, not letting people sleep.

pleeasee..if people want to avoid fighting, then make sure your posts STRESS that you are giving ONLY your personal opinion, because that's what it is. posting threads like this do scare me.

i mean, people are leaving out some statements that he made, such as he was a nightowl because of his creativity, and even Janet Jackson said that he was a nightowl, when they did Scream. nothing, in those statements spoke of insomnia...just creativity. so..we are left with our OPINIONS.

i have just read what you wrote to me in my "latest reputation received".
"ignorant, mind, michael never asked for pills"

i do not tolerate any aggressive behavior against me because i do not treat anybody in here like i have been treated by you!
Just because i stated my opinion. I did not mention your name and i did not cause you any harm by stating my opinion!

I ask for respect!

I have reported you and i have contacted the president of this forum.

Thank you.

goooooooooo petals!

Back