Thriller live - what the...?

Remington Steele

Proud Member
I wouldn't have gone as I generally am not interested in tribute shows, but I got a ticket as a christmas present... I had a very good view (4th row, center of the stage).

And boy was I surprised. Now where to start... the singers, the dancers, the effects, the ideas, the variation of Michael's songs, yet being very close to his style, the impact of the sound... saying it was fantastic would be an understatement!! :D

My absolute favorite was "Smooth Criminal", but I knew that before as I love that song. I never wanted it to end!!

Also, regarding the encore, I was so happy they (Warning, SPOILER ahead)

brought back "Smooth" again in a metal version... everyone got up off their seats and when "Black or white" started the vibe was at its very height.... they rocked the house (I think the roof of the hall almost fell off!)...

I will never forget this evening...

P.S. there was this blonde dancer, she was fantastic... I kind of fell in love with her :wub: ;). Anybody know who she is?

I've seen it twice and absolutely love it! The beginning is without doubt the hardest part when they sing GTS :(

Did you get a programme whilst there? There should be a list of dancers there with backgrounds etc.

I saw this in November in the O2 in Dublin! Great show, the female singer was a true MJ fan; I loved it and everyone got up and danced and sang along! :)

Yeah, so many people stood up at the end...

Did you get a programme whilst there?

Unfortunately not... on the Thriller Live official page, there are two blonde dancers (http://www.thrillerlive.com/cast/tour/), I can't even recognize who of the two it is (shame on me, lol) - I was probably blind of love ;).

There's a Danielle Hampson and a Miranda Wilford. In my defense, it's really hard to tell from the pictures, they look similar.

Danielle:
danielle-hampson.jpg

Miranda:
miranda-wilford.jpg

Hm, thinking about it, I would bet 99% it was Danielle.

I haven't seen it yet. I want to, I'm planning on going for my birthday in April. Wanted to go sooner but couldn't face it to be honest. I have trouble seeing Michael tribute shows, it just feels so empty if I'm honest as I miss Michael so much. Will definitely see this as its had majorly good reviews from most of my friends.

I think mainly because i'm a guy and were just not into musicals but i thought they should have had a story to go with it and the dances should have been more Michael based and not just ten people leaping about doing somersaults and i thought they would have been better trying to find a lead or at least a lead for each song, at one point there are for singers singing different parts of one song.

I wouldn't have gone as I generally am not interested in tribute shows, but I got a ticket as a christmas present... I had a very good view (4th row, center of the stage).

And boy was I surprised. Now where to start... the singers, the dancers, the effects, the ideas, the variation of Michael's songs, yet being very close to his style, the impact of the sound... saying it was fantastic would be an understatement!! :D

My absolute favorite was "Smooth Criminal", but I knew that before as I love that song. I never wanted it to end!!

Also, regarding the encore, I was so happy they (Warning, SPOILER ahead)

brought back "Smooth" again in a metal version... everyone got up off their seats and when "Black or white" started the vibe was at its very height.... they rocked the house (I think the roof of the hall almost fell off!)...

I will never forget this evening...

P.S. there was this blonde dancer, she was fantastic... I kind of fell in love with her :wub: ;). Anybody know who she is?

That's really cool to hear! :)
My girlfriend wanted to go there, too but I didn't want to as I don't like to go to such tribute kinda shows. I'd rather like to see Michael there and not some others doing his dancing and stuff... We didn't have the money for it anyway, tho'!

I saw the thread title and though you were gonna' say you hated it. :giggle: I'm gonna' have to go myself soon, I think they're taking it elsewhere in a couple of weeks right?

Danielle:
danielle-hampson.jpg

Miranda:
miranda-wilford.jpg

*Drools and begins to melt* :shades:

Calm down Kane ;)

I know a lot of guys who loved Thriller Live. Doesn't make any difference if a guy likes a musical or not. Anyway TL is not your average musical anyway.

I went with my wife and two friends (who were not 'fans' of MJ - but wanted to come to the show), and we all loved it!

My two friends couldn't stop telling other people how good it was, for days after. Both of them said that they hadn't realised how many classic tracks Michael had made over his life time - one of them went out and bought 'Off The Wall' and 'Essential' the very next day!

Go and see it. It's a fantastic tribute to the 'King of Pop'!

I saw it in October and loved it aswell. Here they didn't sing GTS though, so in the end I was expecting it the whole time but then it just ended.. 2 hours went way too fast and I felt very empty afterwards. I just loved being there with all fellow MJ-lovers :)

Oooh I loved it too!
We went to see it in London.. in January!
I wanted to go see it again the day after! :D
We were so excited! And people were dancing! :dancing:
I really loved it..

I saw the thread title and though you were gonna' say you hated it. :giggle:
:laugh:

I'm gonna' have to go myself soon, I think they're taking it elsewhere in a couple of weeks right?
How do you mean elsewhere? Outside Germany?

That's really cool to hear! :)
My girlfriend wanted to go there, too but I didn't want to as I don't like to go to such tribute kinda shows. I'd rather like to see Michael there and not some others doing his dancing and stuff...

I was exactly the same opinion, but once I was there, I loved it!

In a TV interview, I heard them say they do not want to copy Michael... and IMO they did a perfect job achieving that while still being close to the original. E.g., within one song, they often alternated between different singers to sing Michael's lines... and when Smooth Criminal started (I think it was that song), they had one guy doing the dancing, so yes, he sort of stood for Michael, but when the singing part started, some other singer first started to sing... they found the perfect balance IYAM.

I went with my wife and two friends (who were not 'fans' of MJ - but wanted to come to the show), and we all loved it!

My two friends couldn't stop telling other people how good it was, for days after. Both of them said that they hadn't realised how many classic tracks Michael had made over his life time - one of them went out and bought 'Off The Wall' and 'Essential' the very next day!

That's cool :).

BTW regarding that blonde dancer, now that can think normally and not being high of the show, I realize it must have been Danielle:

Can anyone confirm it's her? They currently touring Germany...

I remember Miranda was the best dancer of the show, at least for me, and surprised me by also singing a bit in Heal The World. I treasure that experience, it was an amazing show and the vibe was pure LOVE.

I think mainly because i'm a guy and were just not into musicals but i thought they should have had a story to go with it and the dances should have been more Michael based and not just ten people leaping about doing somersaults and i thought they would have been better trying to find a lead or at least a lead for each song, at one point there are for singers singing different parts of one song.

To be honest, I think that was one of the best things about the show. A community of singers and dancers sharing the lead and taking turns at different Michael hits, all in different ways.

If it was one person in each song acting as Michael, I think it would become very amateurish and just a cheap imitation. This was (as it said from the start) a celebration of the man and his music, not an attempted carbon copy. I was really impressed :)

I wanna see it sooo bad! Wonder if they will ever come to the U.S.?

I must be the only person here who didn't like it at all.

A thought that arised to me: Maybe you watched it with an entirely different cast? Or is it he same cast that's currently touring Germany? This cast was amazing IMO (as I already said).

I've been to see it twice - once in 2007 and once in may last year.
I love it but seeing other people perform his songs also just makes me realise how amazing MJ really is

I've been to see it twice - once in 2007 and once in may last year.
I love it but seeing other people perform his songs also just makes me realise how amazing MJ really is

BINGO! That was the little bittersweetness about this and other tribute shows...

Back