Hectare of Russian Rainforest Named After Michael Jackson

billyworld99

Proud Member
Ten Michael Jackson fans from Russia have given Michael a unique present.

Katja Shabanova writes:

"We are supporters of The World Wildlife Fund. The WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.

"In 1997, 70 000 hectares of forest were burned in the Altai Region in Russia. It was a real nature disaster. It was a heavy drought, and wind speed reached 24 meters a second. It was almost impossible to save the forest. Such fires are very uncommon. The lines of pine-trees whose width reached from 6 to 40 km stretched along many hundred kilometres through the Altai steppes. The trees grew on sandy dunes, they prevented dusty storms and the shifting of vast masses of sand, and they gave a shelter for many animals and plants.

"Now instead of coniferous forests there are just carbonized remains of trees and voids. If people don't revive just a part of the burned forest , about 3.5 million hectares of land will be lost. For the Altai Region it is an imminent disaster. So the Altai Region Forestry Department and WWF worked out a program for reviving the forest. Everyone can help this program by donating money. A donator has a right to give a name this part of forest he/she helped to revive."

"We have donated money to the WWF to revive 1 hectare (3000-5000 trees) of the forest where trees will be planted this spring (this April to be exact).

"This hectare was named in honour of Michael Jackson. Near that area a billboard with Michael's name will be established very soon. And this part of the Altai forest in Russia will be called by the name of Michael Jackson forever.

Great news!! Awesome!! I wish we could pull something similar in the US with our donations to the Nature Conservancy - Please see also the Planting a Tree in Honour of Michael. ( don't mean to derail this thread, just thinkin' and wishin')

from Billyworld
"We have donated money to the WWF to revive 1 hectare (3000-5000 trees) of the forest where trees will be planted this spring (this April to be exact).

"This hectare was named in honour of Michael Jackson. Near that area a billboard with Michael's name will be established very soon. And this part of the Altai forest in Russia will be called by the name of Michael Jackson forever.

Thank you ever so much.
angel3l.gif
You are ANGELS.
angel3r.gif

When he's on Earth,
I know Michael Jackson visits, often.
God Bless you, again and again. :angel:

This is a beautiful thing they have done...Michael would be so thrilled...:)

Oh wow! Beautiful! Yes, this would touch Michael beyond his dreams...So fitting for him!

I wanted to know more about it, because I was surprised that I didn't hear about this initiative in Russia. It turned out to be old news, from 2003.

On April 3, 2003, Katja Shabanova, a supporter of The World Wildife Fund in Russia and admirer of the singer, announces via a Michael Jackson forum, on behalf of nine more such supporters (donating money to the fund for restoring a hectare – 3000-5000 trees), that one out of an estimated 70,000 burned hectares of forest in the Altai Region of Russia will be named in honor of the singer; in 1997, 70,000 hectares of forest were burned due to severe drought and high-speed winds, as a result, the Altai Region Forestry Department and WWF developed a program for reviving the forest.

http://www.thesilencedtruth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=60

i remember this news from back then..it was posted on all message boards etc :)
a great friend of mine is one of the 10 fans in it :)

It´s nice he got a forest when he was alive.

Back