Is it true-that in USA exist such law:

7angel

Proud Member
Is it true that in USA exist such law:if there was murder attempt and person survived ,he/she has a right to fake death?

I dont know anything about US law. But its not illegal to disappear and not return phone calls or have a billion fans cry over you. Its not illegal as long as you dont profit from your death and Michael and the estate still have not cashed out his life insurance as far as I know. I still believe no crime has been committed. Not even a alledged fake-funeral. I dont see how that could be a crime, remembering someone, dead or alive.

And I believe no crime was committed when Jermaine Jackson announced him dead at UCLA and not someone with authority (police officer, coroner, lawyer or hospital chief doctor).

I dont know anything about US law. But its not illegal to disappear and not return phone calls or have a billion fans cry over you. Its not illegal as long as you dont profit from your death and Michael and the estate still have not cashed out his life insurance as far as I know. I still believe no crime has been committed. Not even a alledged fake-funeral. I dont see how that could be a crime, remembering someone, dead or alive.

And I believe no crime was committed when Jermaine Jackson announced him dead at UCLA and not someone with authority (police officer, coroner, lawyer or hospital chief doctor).

It sounds so dreamy

:(

I am not hoax -believer,because,despite fisrt of all ,ethical side of this,Michael 's spirituality and kidness and unability to harm other peoplefeeling, reality showed us many times already that Michael had too many people who wanted him down and too less people who was able to help him in case of danger,who was acting in his best interests.But it is whole other topic. just want to think about ALL possibilities even most crazy ones because life is more difficult and unexpected then we can ever imagine.There is always like 0,000001 percent of possibility of everything,just theoretically.The whole case is so strange there are so many really weird and unexplainable things,everything what happen couldn't be just accident.
I translated by google some info from Russian site on such matter:
"Security agencies has developed a mechanism for organizing the fake funerals of important witnesses.

Local witness protection program provides some very interesting points. Ministry of Interior of Russia proposes to apply in case of emergency procedure fictitious funerals of people whose testimony could cost them their lives. "In our arsenal is a lot of tactical tricks. Until that can dramatize the death of the witness and then just his "bury". Of course, not really, but for enemies ", - quotes the head of the Interior Ministry's security officials. Despite the fact that in Russia, this practice has not been used, for it is all ready.

Dummy funeral will look very natural: relatives will witness identification in the morgue, they will issue a death certificate. Moreover, the near and far may not be aware that only a mock funeral, until the witness does not want to reveal all the cards. All this time he may dwell in another city. "
Also I remember very well -like two years ago that was news on TV that dean of one university was murdered -it was bomb at her car,she was wictim of mafia,of blackmail etc.And some time later,maybe week,maybe more ,ony after the killers were catched,it was told that in reality she is alive and that everything was made up to catch this gang who treated to kill her.

there's no such law in United States. What you say could be "witness protection" and that's a completely different thing. In that case if there's a threat against you the government can give you a different identity with or without faking death.

As mentioned everyone has the option to go missing (that would not involve a law enforcement response)- there's nothing illegal in that. After 7 years of missing a person can be legally declared dead.

Faking death can come with serious legal consequences. For example insurance money (the estate collected that), funeral costs (the state paid for it), any investigation done (LAPD and DA working on the case and now the trial - causing an unnecessary law enforcement investigation/use of resources is also some sort of an obstruction - also a crime) means that there's a lot money paid/spent. This means felony fraud charges with possible prison time. I will also think that a fake ID, passport etc will also be illegal. (also this theory will involve the use a dead body and that's also a crime with different possible levels of seriousness).

example : A Student in Wisconsin in 2004 faked her own kidnapping. (she went missing and was found 4 days later. she claimed that she was kidnapped but actually she staged everything). She could have been charged with 18 months in prison and monetary fines. (she pleaded guilty and came to a plea agreement).

example 2 : in 2009 a man in Indiana sentenced to 4 years and the costs, after faking his death by plane crash and causing officials to respond when actually no help was needed

example : A Student in Wisconsin in 2004 faked her own kidnapping. (she went missing and was found 4 days later. she claimed that she was kidnapped but actually she staged everything). She could have been charged with 18 months in prison and monetary fines. (she pleaded guilty and came to a plea agreement).

example 2 : in 2009 a man in Indiana sentenced to 4 years and the costs, after faking his death by plane crash and causing officials to respond when actually no help was needed
:scratch:

But in these 2 cases, from what I understand these two people did it without any important reason, simply made for fun and entertainment. To me, this is a crime in these 2 cases.

I do not know how it works, but in my opinion, the person must prove to the police/DA/FBI/government.... was being threatened/at risk of life or no? :scratch:

I do not know how it works, but in my opinion, the person must prove to the police/DA/FBI/government.... was being threatened/at risk of life or no? :scratch:

exactly .. and beforehand.. that's what I meant by faking your death vs. witness protection.

you don't on your own fake your death, suicide, abduction, kidnapping etc.. (regardless of the reason if it requires an unnecessary law enforcement involvement you'll be charged for it).

you either just disappear (in a way that makes it obvious that you went missing by your choice and therefore there's no law enforcement involvement and/or monetary gain) or you work with officials to be placed in a witness protection.

and let me add this : honestly I don't see this as even a remote possibility in either case.. How can you hide the world's most famous man?

Last edited:
exactly .. and beforehand.. that's what I meant by faking your death vs. witness protection.

you don't on your own fake your death, suicide, abduction, kidnapping etc.. (regardless of the reason if it requires an unnecessary law enforcement involvement you'll be charged for it).

you either just disappear (in a way that makes it obvious that you went missing by your choice and therefore there's no law enforcement involvement and/or monetary gain) or you work with officials to be placed in a witness protection.

and let me add this : honestly I don't see this as even a remote possibility in either case.. How can you hide the world's most famous man?
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Well, in this world everything is really possible and I do not doubt anything and so I have a very open mind. I do not think is impossible, because he is a human being like you and me, whether it be the most famous person on the planet. Why should it be different and impossible? :ph34r:

(I hope no one kills me to be saying that.)

But.... I understand your explanation. But I believe there are several types of programs to protect a witness who work in different ways or not? :scratch:

I don't believe in this theory but....Miracles can happen....:angel:

But Michael's estate did collect on one of his life insurance policies. They took a settlement.

I don't know anything about it why I asking.Probably the situation I described called Witness protection programme.

I'm not sure this law exists. Here are some answers about the consequences of faking death from some lawyers:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions...fake-your-own-death-if-youre-trying-to-escape

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1cent-is-it-illegal-to-falsify-a-death-certificate-for

http://www.justanswer.com/questions...ase-tell-me-the-legal-ramifications-of-faking

To summarize:
- filing a fake death certificate is a crime
- causing a fake police investigation is also a crime
- collecting life insurance is insurance fraud obviously
- breaking a contract by faking death is a breach of contract and a fraud

So unfortunately this is not very likely.

I'm not sure this law exists. Here are some answers about the consequences of faking death from some lawyers:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions...fake-your-own-death-if-youre-trying-to-escape

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1cent-is-it-illegal-to-falsify-a-death-certificate-for

http://www.justanswer.com/questions...ase-tell-me-the-legal-ramifications-of-faking

To summarize:
- filing a fake death certificate is a crime
- causing a fake police investigation is also a crime
- collecting life insurance is insurance fraud obviously
- breaking a contract by faking death is a breach of contract and a fraud

So unfortunately this is not very likely.

It is a crime if it was done for fun.

The question is:

One must prove that it really was being threatened and that his life was risk, which is different from I wake up one fine day and decide to forge my death for no reason and serious risk, and especially not prove (or have no proof) why I did it.

So, depends on the case/situation and you can not say "these are the consequences > crime/fraude" without knowing what led the person to do this.

It's just my opinion. :ph34r:

The question is:

One must prove that it really was being threatened and that his life was risk, which is different from I wake up one fine day and decide to forge my death for no reason and serious risk, and especially not prove (or have no proof) why I did it.

So, depends on the case/situation and you can not say "these are the consequences > crime/fraude" without knowing what led the person to do this.

regardless of the reasons it's still a crime, it doesn't depend on the situation. Simply you don't take matters in your own hands. if your life is being threatened you go to the authorities. there are a lot of other possibilities (such as protective orders etc) to do if there's a threat.

regardless of the reasons it's still a crime, it doesn't depend on the situation. Simply you don't take matters in your own hands. if your life is being threatened you go to the authorities. there are a lot of other possibilities (such as protective orders etc) to do if there's a threat.
Yes, but still does not seem to gives a opinion 100% without knowing the background all the facts of the case/situation that led the person to do this. I need to have 100% knowledge about what happened. :scratch:

Before anyone throw stones at me, I'm not talking about Michael, I'm talking in general (any person). :ph34r:

The question is:

in th eyes of the law it is fraud. if u have a defence of i did it cause i was threatened then that will be taken into account by the judge but the crime has still been committed

in th eyes of the law it is fraud. if u have a defence of i did it cause i was threatened then that will be taken into account by the judge but the crime has still been committed
Yes :yes:, but first of all be analyzed, which led the person to do this and also from having a fair trial and whether it's a risk of life and threats, the judge will declare a lighter sentence. If it was done just done for fun, then the sentence would be too high.

Well, still depends on the case and why the person did this to make a fair trial. There must be cases that are unknown for us. :ph34r:

Guys you understood it wrong-I meant LEGAL thing-when it made with help of authorities,like witness preotection programme-like examples I made-it was made(helping person to fake death )in order to catch criminals,who were after that person.
That why I sked if such law exist in USA,if anyone here heard such stories etc.

^ DETAILED documt abou witness protection programme

^^ I don't wanna read 112 pages :no:

The foreword says already all to me:

"The compilation by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) of these good practices
for the protection of witnesses in criminal proceedings involving organized crime was made possible
thanks to the active support and contributions of dedicated professionals of Member States of the
United Nations, international criminal tribunals and international organizations involved in this field. (..)"

These programms are not for V.I.P./ celebs hoax death.

They are for the Mafia or motorcycle gangs (hell angels in Germany) dropout ppl .. really heavy criminals with "dirt" on their own fingers!

there's no such law in United States. What you say could be "witness protection" and that's a completely different thing. In that case if there's a threat against you the government can give you a different identity with or without faking death.

As mentioned everyone has the option to go missing (that would not involve a law enforcement response)- there's nothing illegal in that. After 7 years of missing a person can be legally declared dead.

Faking death can come with serious legal consequences. For example insurance money (the estate collected that), funeral costs (the state paid for it), any investigation done (LAPD and DA working on the case and now the trial - causing an unnecessary law enforcement investigation/use of resources is also some sort of an obstruction - also a crime) means that there's a lot money paid/spent. This means felony fraud charges with possible prison time. I will also think that a fake ID, passport etc will also be illegal. (also this theory will involve the use a dead body and that's also a crime with different possible levels of seriousness).

Olivia Newton-Johns ex recently reappeared after faking his death however he did not return to the US so he hasnt had any repercussions due to it.

In fact his life insurance policy was cashed in and given to his son and ex-wife and has not been returned.

@mj smile : true. witness protection is given to people who have information and will testify in a criminal case. the question is who do you think that Michael was going to testify against that he has to be protected?

@Dangerous incorporated : not quite similar.

as you can see in my post that you quoted : " everyone has the option to go missing (that would not involve a law enforcement response)- there's nothing illegal in that'. that's what Patrick McDermott did. He went missing on a fishing trip and the only investigation was by US Coast Guard. No law enforcement was ever involved. Plus to my best knowledge he wasn't legally declared dead. he was simply missing, US Coast Guard report said "undetermined and most likely drowned". (in michael's case you'll have a dead body, a group of people that lie,cover up, a death declaration, a state paid funeral, a police investigation into his death, a criminal lawsuit about his death, state medical board investigations etc etc - so it is quite different)

secondly his family didn't cash out the insurance policy actually it is still active and the monthly payments are being made (this is said by the private investigator hired by NBC's Dateline).
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/p...-Newton-John-s-ex-surfaces-in-Mexican-village

plus he is wanted for questioning - which means depending on the situation he could be charged. It's not a closed case by any means.

@mj smile : true. witness protection is given to people who have information and will testify in a criminal case. the question is who do you think
that Michael was going to testify against that he has to be protected? (..)
*gg*
ivy, I don't think Michael was going to testify in such a case like 'UNODC'

Maybe he had the knowledge about a crime, a other sort of crime like the organized crime, and wanted to testify *idk*

7angel brought the question in ..
Is it true that in USA exist such law:if there was murder attempt and person survived ,he/she has a right to fake death?

I translated by google some info from Russian site on such matter:
"Security agencies has developed a mechanism for organizing the fake funerals of important witnesses.
(..)

Guys you understood it wrong-I meant LEGAL thing-when it made with help of authorities,like witness preotection programme-like examples I made-
it was made(helping person to fake death )in order to catch criminals,who were after that person.
That why I sked if such law exist in USA,if anyone here heard such stories etc.
and cut!
I only want to say something in general:

First, I never ever believed / believe in such MJ death hoaxes, I find it such a nonsense :doh:

The (UNODC) thing is only for members of the heaviest criminal organizations like Mafia, south-amercian drug-smuggles, ost-europeans human trafficking etc.
who will leave their groups and could testify against the org. and never for V.I.P.s to fake their own funerals with the help/support of their own country/state.

If someone believe that (here or elsewhere)... that's really the biggest nonsense I ever heard in my entire life (almost half a century!)
*rofl*

"Normal"(without faking death, without UNDOC) witness protecting programms exists more or less in all countries when you have to fear about your own security,
but that's not that easy!
And for such a famous person like Michael would never have been feasible .. to many ppl would have been involved to make it correct.
Therefore here the same: nonsense.

Back