Page 114 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115 LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1717

Thread: To Catlovers

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,733 Posts

Default Re: To Catlovers

Nathan Winograd
    Igår kl. 18:31 ·
    While Americans are spending more to take care of their animals, they are also buying fewer and adopting more, a trend that is likely to continue as two states (CA & MD) and over 400 cities have already banned the retail sale of commercially-bred animals in pet stores, with many more (including NY) trying to do so.

Spending on animal companions topped $70 billion for the first time last year. According to the latest report, “Today more than ever, pet owners view their pets as irreplaceable members of their families and lives, and it's thanks to this that we continue to see such incredible growth within the pet care community."

The report notes that the amount spent to purchase animals declined by 4.3% and is “the smallest area of total pet industry spend”: https://goo.gl/Y7wNB9.

Not surprisingly, as fewer people are buying animals, overall adoption rates have increased with shelter deaths falling to below two million across the U.S. for the first time (as low as 1.5 million by some estimates).

Onward and upward...
    "How much did I really know about life on earth? What responsibility did I feel for creatures outside my little space?
    How could I lead my life so that every cell of living matter was also benefited?" Michael Jackson
    "Love no violence ever, remember a beautiful future promise of tomorrow "MJ

stop the killing of pets. Save lifes,spay and neuter your pets
    Adopt from an animalshelter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEpf5L8x0M

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

"How much did I really know about life on earth? What responsibility did I feel for creatures outside my little space?
    How could I lead my life so that every cell of living matter was also benefited?" Michael Jackson

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

More than 2,000 feral cats captured, neutered in Osceola County
    New community cat program aims to humanely curb feral cat population

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. - All across Central Florida, there is a growing problem when it comes to feral cats in the community.

"It's very easy for the cat population to get out of control very quickly," Osceola County Animal Services Director Kim Staton said.
    Since April 2018, a grant from the Best Friends Animal Society has enabled Osceola County Animal Services to hire two people to go out into the community to humanely curb the feral cat population.

The grant, which spans three years and includes up to $500,000, allows for a van and supplies to be used by two people to go and collect trapped feral cats to be spayed or neutered, vaccinated, and released back into the community.

"Putting these neutered animals back into the population helps stabilize the population and prevents growth of that population," Staton said. "What we used to do with trap and remove and euthanize, it doesn't work."

Since the community cat program began, the total surgery count is up to 2,021 cats.

The shelter is already seeing a noticeable drop in cats coming in, down 16 percent between 2017 and 2018.

"We got to the point a couple of times where there were no cats for adoption," Staton said.

But the true test is still to come now that kitten season is on its way. The span between early spring through late fall is the most popular time of the year in which kittens are born.

"We're all a little bit anxious about what this summer is going to bring," Staton said. "We know it's still going to be a difficult summer this year, but the way this should work is each summer should get a little bit easier, a little bit shorter with kitten season."

The grant allows this program to run in the county for two more years.

Osceola County residents who have feral cats in their neighborhood are asked to contact the Osceola County Community Cat Program by calling 407-608-2764 or emailing OsceolaCats@bestfriends.org.
    https://www.clickorlando.com/news/mo...q78g6uzZFzKqIg

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

39 Kittens Surrendered at Shelter!
    All 39 kittens were surrendered at a Texas shelter… this is a small shelter that doesn't get much traffic/adoptions/donations.

The kittens have been separated and other rescues have stepped in to help, purrlease check out their Facebook post to see how you can help - https://www.facebook.com/kaleysplace/...
    Spay, neuter, foster, volunteer, TNR and as always ADOPT don't shop!

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I ADOPTED YOUR CAT TODAY

I adopted your cat today…
    The one you left at the pound;
    The one you had for ten years
    And no longer wanted around.

Did you know that he’s lost weight?
    Did you know that he’s scared and depressed
    And seems to have lost all faith?

He had fleas and a little cold;
    Guess you don’t care what shape he’s in
    - You abandoned him I am told.

Were you having a baby or moving away?
    Did you suddenly develop allergies,
    Or was there NO reason he couldn’t stay?

He doesn’t play or even eat much;
    I guess he’s very sad inside and
    It’ll take time for him to trust.

And here he is going to stay;
    He’s found his FOREVER home
    And a warm bed in which to lay.

And I shall give him all that he will need,
    - Patience, love and security,
    So he can forget your selfish deed.

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

US workplace standards agency removes feral cats from list of vermin
    The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) which is an agency of the US Dept. of Labor has decided to remove feral cats from its list of vermin under a process of updating the rules: OSHA’s Standards Improvement Project – Phase IV final rule. The rules state that vermin infestations must be eliminated but cats won’t be on the list. Great news for cat advocates and common sense.
    https://pictures-of-cats.org/us-work...OHxVlVPmWP8S48

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The sad truth about this story is that JoAnn Wiltz also found two additional kittens who were already dead. We didn't want to get blocked or have the video have an age restriction, but it's just the reality - it's rough out there for cats who are giving birth in challenging places where it's hard for tiny babies to survive.
    Luckily JoAnn was able to save two of her babies - Fromage and Baguette. A week later, JoAnn found an abandoned kitten named Escargots, and mama Paris adopted him and she nursed him back to health.
    Paris was feral, so she was released to an FIV positive colony where she will have food and medical care when she needs it.

We are working hard to spay and neuter thousands of cats so we can reduce the number of animals suffering out there but we need your help with that. It cost an average of $60 to spay/neuter a cat. If every viewer will donate just $1, we will be able to help so many more animals: https://www.HopeForPaws.org

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Birds and Cats: We love them both
    Community

Approximately 5 years ago in Halifax/Dartmouth there was a two year wait list to surrender a cat to the local SPCA, rescue groups were full and kittens were being born outside into a feral life.

A local rescue in Halifax, Spay Day NS, partnered with the SPCA to do a TNR. Since then, with the help of some city funding, local rescue groups work in partnership with the SPCA to conduct a year-round TNR. Both shelters in the city, in addition to Spay Day, have started spay/neuter programs for owned cats. The outcome:

- Some people wanting to adopt a kitten look for months;
    - Rescued kittens placed in vets clinics and pet stores for adoption are welcomed with excitement and are snapped up in days, if not hours, all going to good homes approved by their rescue group;
    - A rescuer who cares for bottle babies, is able to help kittens external to the city vice the situation 5 years ago when she could not keep up with the need in Halifax;
    - A local rescuer who traditionally would have had dozens of calls to rescue kittens born outside by now each year has had very few calls this year.

In essence, there is a noticeable difference between Halifax/Dartmouth and other communities who do not have similar programs of TNR and low income spay neuter programs. It is also worth noting that the NS SPCA shelters are no kill AND open admission. We aren’t there yet but are getting there – the TNR, low cost spay neuter formula with rescue groups working together and in concert with the SPCA and supportive vet clinics is the key to humane population control.

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

TinyKittens HQ
    Publicerades den 5 juni 2019

In October of 2016, we trapped a dying feral cat named Mason so we could give him the comfort and dignity every living creature deserves after a life well-lived.

What happened next BLEW. US. AWAY.

A few months after his rescue, Mason found a new purpose in life: being a grandpa to rescue kittens. Since then, he has shaped dozens of young minds, passed down important grandpa secrets, demonstrated tremendous hunting prowess, taught manners, quashed impudence and created a multitude of fashion-forward kitten hairstyles.

As of today, Grandpa Mason has outlived his initial prognosis by an incredible 963 days. Each one of those days has been filled with joy, comfort and love... on his terms.

What Mason has taught us in the last two years has been shocking and remarkable. This “lost cause” “worthless” old feral cat has enriched our lives in ways we could never have imagined.

We work hard every day to keep him feeling good, but we can't know how many days, months or years he has left. We do know he is living his best possible life, the life he always deserved. If you'd like to help cats like Grandpa Mason, please support Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) efforts in your community.