"Love is a Donut" - Explained!

SJR

Proud Member
...maybe.

All credit goes to my brother for this one, but we were joking about that lyric from the Give Into Me demo, and his hypothesis is that he was referring to the donuts his father bought him when he was a child. In the Oxford speech, he noted that he knew his Dad loved him when he saw he bought him glazed donuts (if I remember correctly). What do you guys think? It's the only semi-plausable thing I've heard so far.lol.

O DAMN!! here we are thinking MJ was goofing off all these years.. We thought he was just throwing words together :rofl: I cant believe it! Thanks so much for bringing that to our attention! That man is so deep!! Well then I guess Love is Donut! Such a cutie pie ;)

Well it could be about that (I thought it might be that too), or he could be actually saying "love is a donna" (Italian for woman) It sounds like he's saying "donut" but what if he isn't. Maybe...

Well it could be about that (I thought it might be that too), or he could be actually saying "love is a donna" (Italian for woman) It sounds like he's saying "donut" but what if he isn't. Maybe...

mmm...never thought of it that way.....

wow.

even if that aint the true reason your brother should be nominated for a nobel prize for even making that connection!!!

That could be it but Michael is talking about erotic love with a woman in that song.

I'm just saying.

Yep, he mentions it in Moonwalk too (the donut story). :yes:

But there are rumours that he's not saying that at all and the song was originally titled Love Donor...

“For we have all been someone’s child and we know that despite the very best plans and efforts, mistakes will always occur. That’s just being human. And when I think about this, how I hope that my children will not judge me unkindly and will forgive me, forgive my shortcomings, I am forced to think of my own father and despite my earlier denial, I am forced to admit that he must have loved. me. He did love me and I know that. There were little things that showed that…I was a kid and I had a real sweet tooth. We all did. My father…he did try…but, my favorite food to satisfy my sweet tooth was glazed donuts. My father knew that, so every few weeks, I would come downstairs in the morning and there on the kitchen counter was a bag of glazed donuts. No note, no explanation…just the donuts. It was like Santa Claus. Sometimes, I would think about staying up late at night so I could see him leave them there, but just like with Santa Claus, I didn’t want to ruin the magic for fear he would never do it again. My father had to leave them secretly at night so no one would catch him with his guard down. He was scared of human emotion. He didn’t understand it or know how to deal with it. But, he did know GLAZED DONUTS.” ♥️🍩
- Taken from Michael Jackson’s Oxford Address

SJR;2836376 said:
...maybe.

All credit goes to my brother for this one, but we were joking about that lyric from the Give Into Me demo, and his hypothesis is that he was referring to the donuts his father bought him when he was a child. In the Oxford speech, he noted that he knew his Dad loved him when he saw he bought him glazed donuts (if I remember correctly). What do you guys think? It's the only semi-plausable thing I've heard so far.lol.

Not necessarily.

Michael Jackson was in the habit of coming up with random words when he was singing a demo in the studio and the official lyrics were not finalized yet.

He used to do that for practical purposes (because such random words helped him to temporarily fill in the lyrical gaps, and such random words helped him also to keep the song’s structure and harmony alive in his head).

He did that also on other demos (like, in the ‘Billie Jean’ demo), and the random words that he used had absolutely no meaning (or any reference to anything).

Just like his vocal improvisations and ad-libs on many of his other demos, which were later cut from the official versions of the songs.

@Agonum you are such a donut
RIP @Agonum

pngtree-donut-bite-cake-table-top-chocolate-photo-picture-image_4568874.jpg

Back