*Parliament/Funkadelic*

mjscarousal

Proud Member
The group scored 13 Top Ten rhythm-and-blues and pop hits from 1967 to 1983.
The band combined the hard rock of Jimi Hendrix, the funky rhythms of James Brown, and the showstopping style of Sly and the Family Stone to fashion an outrageous tribal funk experience. P-Funk emphasized the aesthetics of funk as a means of self-fulfillment; to “give up the funk” meant to achieve transcendence.

George Clinton was a staff writer for Motown for a little while in the late 1960s.

Awesome group. Cosmic Slop is my favourite album.

And those guys had the coolest album sleeves in the world.

Garry Shider of P-Funk fame dies at 56

Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 9:12 PM
Tris McCall/The Star-Ledger

263810.jpg

His habit of wearing a loincloth onstage earned him the nickname “Diaperman.” But there was nothing infantile about Garry Shider’s approach to the funk.

The Plainfield native and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, best known as the musical director of George Clinton’s Parliament and Funkadelic bands, died today at the age of 56, from complications arising from brain and lung cancer.

Like many funk pioneers of the ’70s, Shider got his start by playing in church. As a teenager, he sang and performed in support of the Mighty Clouds Of Joy, Shirley Caesar, and other prominent gospel artists. Years later, singing far-out funk with Parliament, that gospel spirit was still evident in his vocal performances. He was still bringing them to church — only that church was located somewhere in deep innerspace.

Shider met George Clinton in the late ’60s at the famous Plainfield barbershop that acted as P-Funk’s base of operations. Shider’s vocal and instrumental talent impressed Clinton. After a detour to Toronto, Shider was called back to Jersey by the head honcho himself.

Over the years, Shider became one of Clinton’s most trusted lieutenants, calling the P-Funk army to attention with his vocal on “One Nation Under A Groove,” and sailing bravely into the ether on “Cosmic Slop.” He co-wrote some of the band's biggest hits and, as a guitarist, he could be incredibly patient, repeating the same phrase over and over — until he combusted into a fiery solo or a stinging riff. Guitar Player magazine featured him three times.

After playing on Funkadelic’s “Maggot Brain,” Shider joined P-Funk for good in 1972. He contributed guitar and vocals to most P-Funk releases thereafter, including Bootsy Collins’ solo albums.

In recent weeks, friends and fans who had learned about his illness organized a series of benefits on his behalf. One was scheduled for the Multi Media Arts Center in Bloomfield on July 10.

He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Linda, and mourned by the city of Plainfield and wherever the language of funk is spoken.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2010/06/garry_shider_of_p-funk_fame_di.html

Wow, Clinton lost alot of weight, good for him. Good to see him doing his thing still.

[youtube]4FEDTiEVxQs[/youtube]
[youtube]jY0DbqZB-yY[/youtube]
[youtube]FJAQdwyFD64[/youtube]

By Daniel Kreps <time> | June 24, 2016 </time><time>| Rolling Stone</time>
720x405-GettyImages-98141635.jpg

Bernie Worrell, keyboardist for Parliament/Funkadelic and Talking Heads and a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, passed away Friday following a battle with cancer. He was 72.

"Bernie transitioned Home to The Great Spirit," Worrell's wife Judie wrote on Facebook Friday. "Rest in peace, my love -- you definitely made the world a better place. Till we meet again, vaya con Dios."

In January, Worrell revealed that he was battling a "mild form" of prostate cancer and stage-four liver cancer. At the time, Worrell's wife Judie appealed to fans asking for $10,000 in donations so that the keyboardist could complete his final album Retrospectives within his lifetime. A YouCaring page seeking $75,000 was also initiated in order to help Worrell alleviate the financial burden of his medical bills.

Born in Long Branch, New Jersey in 1944, the Julliard-trained Worrell met George Clinton, then leader of a doo-wop act called the Parliaments, in the early 1970s. Soon after, Worrell – along with the rest of Clinton's Parliament-Funkadelic crew, including guitarist Eddie Hazel, singer "Fuzzy" Haskins and "Billy Bass" Nelson – moved to Detroit, where they completed work on their 1970 debut Funkadelic. Five months later, the group released their Free Your Mind… and Your Ass Will Follow.

Dubbed the "Wizard of Woo," Worrell is credited with giving the funk outfit their futuristic sound. "I wasn't really interested in technology, but when I was in college, at the New England Conservatory in Boston, I used to listen to Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I loved the Tarkus album. Keith was the first guy I heard using the Moog. I liked the sound of that album and the things he was doing with the instrument," Worrell told Music Radar. "I found out that it was a Moog synthesizer, and later on I purchased my own Minimoog – or George did. I started messing with the sounds. That's all I really do: I turn the knobs until it does what I want."

On Worrell's official site, he said of his experimentation with the instrument, "When the synthesizers came about, my having been brought up classically and knowing a full range of orchestra, tympanis and everything, I knew how it sounded and what it felt like. So, if I'm playing a horn arrangement on keyboard, or strings, it sounds like strings or horns, 'cause I know how to phrase it, how a string phrases, different attacks from the aperture for horns, trumpets, sax or trombones."

Worrell was among the 15 members of Parliament-Funkadelic to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. The keyboardist remained one of the collective's most reliable mainstays, appearing on everything from 1971's Maggot Brain to Parliament's 1975 space-funk masterpiece Mothership Connection to Funkadelic's 1979 One Nation Under the Groove, Number 177 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums list.

Worrell would later earn co-songwriting credits on Parliament hits like "Up on the Down Stroke," "Chocolate City," "P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)," "Mothership Connection (Star Child)" and "Flash Light," which featured Worrell's now-legendary Minimoog bass line.

Following the Parliament-Funkadelic's insanely prolific Seventies, Worrell parted ways with the collective after Clinton dissolved the groups for business and managerial issues. While Worrell would continue to contribute to Clinton's solo albums in the Eighties – notably 1982's "Atomic Dog"-featuring Computer Games – the keyboardist was recruited to join another emerging act at this time: Talking Heads.

"The Talking Heads wanted to funk," Worrell told New Times in 2014. "I found out after I joined them that David (Byrne) and Chris Frantz used to sneak into P-Funk concerts when they were students at the art school in Providence. I didn't know that, they must have been the only white kids there. The other similarity is the way they work in the studio and the freedom that I had. When I first got a call from the Talking Heads I didn't know who they were. The Talking who? I'd heard of New Wave but I had to look it up."

After releasing their landmark LP Remain in Light in 1980, Talking Heads were faced with translating the album's complex, layered rhythms to the stage. To help them perform that album live, Worrell and King Crimson guitarist Adrian Belew were added to strengthen the touring lineup. Worrell ended up remaining the band's keyboardist and unofficial member for the next dozen years until their 1992 breakup.

Worrell contributed synthesizers to Talking Heads' 1983 album Speaking in Tongues and featured prominently in the band's 1984 concert film Stop Making Sense. Although not inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Talking Heads, the keyboardist was invited to join them onstage for their one-off reunion in 2002.

In addition to his work within Parliament-Funkadelic and Talking Heads, Worrell released five solo albums, beginning with 1978's heavily P-Funk-assisted All the Woo in the World, co-produced by Worrell and Clinton. In 1990, Worrell released his second solo LP Funk of Ages, an all-star affair that featured guests like Keith Richards, Talking Heads' Byrne and Jerry Harrison, Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker, Sly Dunbar, Herbie Hancock and many more.

Over the years, Worrell has also collaborated with Jack Bruce, B-52's Fred Schneider, Mos Def, Les Claypool, Fela Kuti, Ginger Baker and many more. Worrell was also a part-time member of the Bill Laswell-led group Praxis, featuring Buckethead and drummer Bryan "Brain" Mantia." Worrell also appeared in the documentary Moog and played Meryl Streep's keyboardist in the 2015 film Ricki and the Flash, which reunited him with Stop Making Sense director Jonathan Demme.

One of my favourite groups of all-time. I nearly have all their cds....even the early Funkadelic ones. RIP Bernie was a ground breaker and legend.

By Kory Grow | February 16, 2017 | Rolling Stone
rs-ohio-players-8152e351-2c3d-40c9-8d58-3179e7fb6680.jpg

Walter "Junie" Morrison, who played keyboards in Funkadelic and the Ohio Players, died on Saturday. His daughter, Akasha, reported the news via the artist's Facebook page. The details surrounding his death have not yet been made public. He was 62.

"It is with great sadness that the Ohio Players have lost on this earth another one of the original members of the band Walter 'Junie' Morrison," the group's James "Diamond" Williams wrote on Facebook. "When I got in the band in 1972 he was my roommate on the road and a brother-in-law, at one time being married to my wife's sister. The voice of granny in the funky worm, an incredibly talented individual ... RIP PLAYER 4 Life. We send our condolences to his family and his friends and fans."

Morrison's career had several peaks that would resonate decades beyond their places on the Billboard charts. With the Ohio Players, he arranged and co-wrote 1972's "Funky Worm," a song that featured Morrison pretending to be an old woman. It made it to Number 15 on the Hot 100. "Early in my career with Ohio Players, we played a lot of nightclubs and had a closer interaction with the audience," he told Red Bull Music Academy in 2015. "As a result, we would do skits to bring ourselves even closer to the people in that setting. One of these so-called 'skits' involved the character I created of a young boy with a very 'dirty mouth.' That 'boy' character was using what later became the 'Granny' voice on 'Funky Worm.' From young to old in an instant!"

With Funkadelic, he co-wrote "One Nation Under a Groove," the danceable title track of the group's 1978 LP alongside George Clinton and guitarist Garry Shider. It was the ensemble's biggest hit – reaching Number 28 on the Hot 100 and paved the way for future success with the group.

The multi-instrumentalist and arranger was born in 1954 in Dayton, Ohio and made his recorded debut on the Ohio Players' Pain album in 1972. It was a moderate success, thanks in part to the bouncy, brassy title track, which peaked in the lower half of the Hot 100 but fared better on the R&B chart.

Its follow-up, the same year's Pleasure, was a bigger hit and featured "Funky Worm," which topped the R&B chart; Morrison's performance on that song would later feature in N.W.A's "Dopeman." He stayed with the group for another LP, 1973's Ecstasy, which did almost as well as its predecessor because of the building, elastic title track making it into the Top 40. He quit just before the group went on to achieve widespread success with hits like "Fire" and "Love Rollercoaster."

After his Ohio Players stint, Morrison went solo for a few years and released three LPs between 1975 and 1976 – all credited to Junie – and went on to join Parliament and Funkadelic and became a pivotal member of both groups, assuming the role of musical director for the latter.

"Junie was a fascinating person to work with," Clinton wrote in his 2014 memoir, Brothas Be, Yo Like George, Ain't That Funkin' Kinda Hard On You?, likening his musical do-it-yourself quality to Sly Stone and Prince. "He could do it all, and if you weren't careful, he would. When he made a record, his preference was to put down the bass, then the guitar, then the keyboards, then the drums. That was fantastic for demos. He could do brilliant things while you weren't looking. ... With Funkadelic, he put himself back in the group environment, and it started to pay dividends immediately."

In addition to "One Nation Under a Groove," he wrote nearly all of the songs on the album (not counting its bonus EP). Although he didn't contribute songwriting to the album's follow-up, 1979's Uncle Jam Wants You, he played on the album, including its hit "(Not Just) Knee Deep," which would later be sampled on De La Soul's "Me Myself and I" and Dr. Dre's "**** Wit Dre Day."

Morrison continued to work with Clinton on myriad projects, including numerous Clinton solo albums like Computer Games, which included the hit "Atomic Dog." He also resumed his own solo career, putting out Bread Alone in 1980 and Junie 5 in 1981, the latter of which found him playing nearly every instrument. He put out another LP, Evacuate Your Seats, in 1984 but wouldn't do another solo full-length until 2004's When the City.

In the intervening years, Morrison spent much of his time producing LPs for other artists, notably the single "I Care" for the group Soul II Soul. In 1997, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Funkadelic.

More recently, Morrison resumed work as a solo artist and put out the soulful digital singles "The Body Savage," "Don't Fall Fast" and "Suzie Thunderpussy" under his own name. He had been teasing a new full-length, though the album was never released.
Last year, he was the subject of Solange Knowles' song "Junie." "She communicated to me that she wanted to tell me the story of how much my track 'Super Spirit' made an impression on her and inspired her to name her creation, 'Junie,'" he said in 2016 interview with Fader. "She wanted me to hear her creation and speak to me about it. My initial reaction to hearing the song itself was the same as I had while listening to the rest of A Seat at the Table – Wow! This young person has a whole funkload of talent."

Morrison's acolyte Questlove expressed a similar sentiment about Morrison in an Instagram post paying tribute to the artist and his influence, calling him "so inspirational." "All the Ohio Players' Westbound-era funk that birthed [D'Angelo's] Voodoo and Black Messiah: Junie," he wrote. "Those adlibs on Hov's "Brooklyn's Finest" and Tribe's "Scenario" remix is Junie. All the Warner-era Funkadelic songwriting wizardry ... even Parliament's Motor Booty Affair and GloryHallaStoopid. ... His ideas birthed and ushered in the G-Funk era (all that synthy 'Funky Worm' synth y'all associate with gangsta rap/Dre's sound? That's Junie Morrison). ... This man was an uncelebrated, unsung, un-championed [man] whose ideas we just took and took and took. I regret so much not having a 'proper' conversation about his journey. His songwriting. His technology innovations. Man. This stings. R.I.P., Junie."

William "Bootsy" Collins suffering from tumor, cancelling tour dates

May 10, 2017 WJBD Radio
GETTY_BootsyCollins_050917_630.jpg

Funk legend William "Bootsy" Collins is cancelling all current tour dates after announcing that he is suffering from a tumor in his ear. The 65-year-old former James Brown bass player and Parliament-Funkadelic star announced on Facebook Tuesday, "Yep Funkateers! I found out last week that I had to get surgery to remove the tumour in my ear. But all things happen for a reason no matter what it looks like to us. The good news is that I am ready for Heads or Tails. The One prepared me this way. I am not concerned because I know that (THE ONE IS GOOD Y'ALL)! The Holy Grail said: 'JUST A FLESH WOUND'! Love to all my Funkateers! Bootsy baby!!!"

Collins said that he has asked former Sly & the Family Stone bass player Larry Graham to take over as many of the cancelled tour dates as possible.

Collins rose to prominence in 1970 as a 19-year-old backing James Brown as a member of The J.B.'s on classics like "(Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine," "Super Bad" and "Soul Power," and with the band recording the much-sampled instrumental "The Grunt."

With Parliament-Funkadelic, Collins co-authored a number of funk classics including the Parliament hits "Tear the Roof Off the Sucker (Give Up The Funk)" and "Flashlight." Leading his own P.Funk offshoot, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Collins charted seven top-20 R&B hits including the 1978 R&B number-one "Bootzilla."

As a member of P.Funk he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

by Ryan Reed | August 28, 2019 | Rolling Stone
a69b3ae99dc5a089c02f34f272f1b0a9.jpg

Pedro Bell, the artist responsible for numerous Funkadelic and George Clinton album covers, has died. Both Clinton and bassist Bootsy Collins confirmed the news on social media, though a cause of death was not announced.

“We lost the Master Mind behind the Graphic’s [sic] & Artwork of Funkadelic,” Collins tweeted. “Mr. Pedro Bell is an American artist and illustrator best known for his elaborate cover designs and other artwork for numerous Funkadelic and George Clinton solo albums. Thxs for yr service our brother.”

Clinton wrote on Facebook, “RIP to Funkadelic album cover illustrator Pedro Bell. Rest easy, Sir Lleb!”
A bio on Clinton’s website details Bell’s influences and describes how his unique visual style collided with Funkadelic’s groundbreaking fusion of funk and psychedelic rock.

“[Bell] particularly liked the distinct and disturbing packaging of Frank Zappa albums,” the bio reads. “It gave a special identity to the artist and to the fans who dug it. It plugged you into your own special shared universe. So he sent elaborately drawn letters to Funkadelic’s label with other samples. George Clinton liked the streetwise mutant style and asked him to do the Cosmic Slop album cover in 1973. That was the moment Funkadelic became everything we think about them being.”

Bell became a fixture for the band, creating the album covers for 1974’s Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, 1975’s Let’s Take It to the Strange and 1978’s One Nation Under a Groove. Warner Brothers censored his original cover for 1981’s The Electric Spanking of War Babies, which included a naked women inside a phallic-shaped spaceship; the resulting image feared a green patch plastered with the message “OH LOOK! The cover that ‘THEY’ were TOO SCARED to print!”

During the 1980s hiatus of Parliament-Funkadelic, Clinton recruited Bell to work on a wave of solo LPs, including 1982’s Computer Games, 1983’s You Shouldn’t-nuf Bit Fish, 1985’s Some of My Best Jokes are Friends and 1986’s Skeletons in the Closet.

“What Pedro Bell had done was invert psychedelia through the ghetto,” the Clinton website reads. “Like an urban Hieronymus Bosch, he cross-sected the sublime and the hideous to jarring effect. Insect pimps, distorted minxes, alien gladiators, sexual perversions. It was a thrill, it was disturbing. Like a florid virus, his markered mutations spilled around the inside and outside covers in sordid details that had to be breaking at least seven state laws.

“More crucially, his stream-of-contagion text rewrote the whole game,” the bio continues. “He single-handedly defined the P-Funk collective as sci-fi superheroes fighting the ills of the heart, society, and the cosmos. Funk wasn’t just a music, it was a philosophy, a way of seeing and being, a way for the tired spirit to hold faith and dance yourself into another day. As much as Clinton’s lyrics, Pedro Bell’s crazoid words created the mythos of the band and bonded the audience together.”

In a 2009 profile of Bell, The Chicago Sun-Times wrote that the artist was living in poverty and battling health issues. Late Parliament-Funkadelic keyboardist and co-founder Bernie Worrell performed at a benefit concert for Bell the following year.
[video=youtube;phwODVKQ9X0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phwODVKQ9X0[/video]
1997 interview
[video=youtube;EvU5FFJ2K30]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvU5FFJ2K30[/video]

Bootsy speaks about Bernie circa 2005

Awesome interview with Bootsy Collins. He's one of my faves but, omg, he is off the chart here. The interview is less than 10 minutes but feels longer. He's so much fun, so uplifting, he's so full of energy. Really interesting to listen to. Loved this.

Last edited:
P Funk were okay, thought Sly and The Family Stone were better and jeez, is that mental nut job MJscarousal looool

P Funk were okay, thought Sly and The Family Stone were better and jeez, is that mental nut job MJscarousal looool
I definitely prefer Sly Stone and his gang to P/Funk. That said, P/Funk were awesome and massively important. They were also loads of FUN. Bootsy was a killer bass player so for that alone I'll always love them.

Back