where in africa do they come from?

*Little Suzie*

Proud Member
I know the Jackson family are african-american family.. But were from africa? some of their family from old generation may had lived in africa before they came to america.. So the question is.. were from africa do they come from? A question I just asked myself now..

Most African Americans were brought to America as slaves. Consequently, the Jacksons, like most African Americans, do not really know from where their African ancestors came from.
Also, the Jacksons, like most African Americans are of mixed ancestory, in particular most African Americans have Navtive American and Caucasian ancestors.

Last edited:
they would probably have to track down their family tree to know this

^^^ oooh! I used to be an avid seeker of my own geneology!! I am familiar with looking up records of births and deaths. marriages etc, but I'm in the UK so it's prob different in other countries!:doh:
An extremely interesting subject!. Can be frustrating at times but SO rewarding when you do manage to fathom it and find relatives!

Most African Americans were brought to America as slaves. Consequently, the Jacksons, like most African Americans, do not really know from where their African ancestors came from.
Also, the Jacksons, like most African Americans are of mixed ancestory, in particular most African Americans have Navtive American and Caucasian ancestors.

^^^ thank you! :yes:

Don't they also have a little bit of American native Indian blood running through their veins? Cherokee maybe. I think it was in Joe's book.

They have Native Indian blood yes.

A Choctaw indian Jack who had a son with a white woman.

It was in Tennessee. It's where come from the name Jackson.

I don't have details for Katherine, but I'm sure she's has native indian roots too.

You can see it with her face.

Don't they also have a little bit of American native Indian blood running through their veins? Cherokee maybe. I think it was in Joe's book.

They have Native Indian blood yes.

A Choctaw indian Jack who had a son with a white woman.

It was in Tennessee. It's where come from the name Jackson.

I don't have details for Katherine, but I'm sure she's has native indian roots too.

You can see it with her face.

:wild: Wow! Thats pretty interesting! :wub: Thanks for the info! :flowers:

I wish the Jackson family answered that question :angel:
I doubt they'd know like people said they were brought to the US like many of us were back in the day, it's not like they immigrated from Africa to America to know where their ancestors came from. It's hard if not impossible to track down the roots in Africa. It's not like all the Europeans who left Germany, Poland, Hungary etc during the world war II or something.
I'm guessing you know very little about African American history etc hence the question lol

One of the Jackson siblings should be on that TV show "Who do you think you are?" where celebrities have their genealogy traced. Spike Lee's was very interesting.

In Africa centuries ago, the people there didn't use the two name system, so most had one name. Using a last name was mostly a European concept. The average African didn't keep written records, so in a lot of cases there is nothing to trace. Even if there is a record, since most Africans had one name and many people have the same name, it's would be really difficult if possible at all to know who is related to who. If there was family information, it was passed down orally and not written.

In Africa centuries ago, the people there didn't use the two name system, so most had one name. Using a last name was mostly a European concept. The average African didn't keep written records, so in a lot of cases there is nothing to trace. Even if there is a record, since most Africans had one name and many people have the same name, it's would be really difficult if possible at all to know who is related to who. If there was family information, it was passed down orally and not written.

:smilerolleyes:

Yeh I saw an extract from Joe's book on here before.

I think they have Choctaw Indian ancestry like Diplomat said.

Ghana,Senegal, Guinee, Nigeria, Gambia....the whole westcoast.
Those are the countties where the most slaves were deported from.

I always think it's very weird why most african american want to find their roots and go to south africa or Kenya
South africa is the most "western" oriented country of the continent Africa.
Kenya is located in the east of Africa.
Its not representative for thecountries where most slaves were departed from.

Last edited:
yeah the west coast like janena says. mj went to was it the ivory coast on a trip.whether there was any connection or it was just randomly picked i dunno. i guess the only way of knowing is if u take a DNA test but even then that goes back right to the begining so might not tell you where your slave ancestors came from

yeah the west coast like janena says. mj went to was it the ivory coast on a trip.whether there was any connection or it was just randomly picked i dunno. i guess the only way of knowing is if u take a DNA test but even then that goes back right to the begining so might not tell you where your slave ancestors came from

janena,s post was mine, sorry.
I was at her house watching the forum and respoding, didn,t know i was under her account, lol..

Michael also went to senegal, there are some pictures of him in Dakar as far as i know.
So he went to see more countries of the west coast.

janena,s post was mine, sorry.
I was at her house watching the forum and respoding, didn,t know i was under her account, lol
no probs lol

Um, no. Most native Africans know exactly who their family is and can trace their ancestors and leniage. The ones who were forced here through slavery were forced to give up everything that reminded them of Africa - their language, religion, culture, and of course their names. Plus they were routinely separated - children often taken from mothers and sold to separate owners, etc.

Back