Unreleased Jermaine Philly album

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Around 1975 or 76, Jermaine recorded an album in Philadelphia, which to date has never been released. I think it was produced by Norman Harris. One song from the sessions called "Good For The Gander" was released on a Philly compilation album called The Spirit Of Philadelphia. This is an old forum from 2002 discussing the Jermaine album. Bobby Eli (who is going under the name "Phillysoulman") was the guitarist for MFSB which is the house band for Gamble & Huff's Philadelphia International label. He is the one playing the famous riff on The O'Jays' For The Love Of Money. Bobby talks a little about the background of the album. He also mentions meeting the J5 in 1968.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/624/313.html?1015624197

There's no doubt there are more somewhere in the vaults but there's no guarantee they will ever get released.
It's a shame.
Motown has thousands of unreleased tracks by many of their acts, but yet they continue to release endless compilations with the same ten songs like The Temptations' My Girl or ABC by the J5. Most of the label's officially released albums are out of print, except maybe in Japan, where you can find all types of obscure albums by forgotten acts. They can release the vault material instead of remix CDs of worn out hits.

Motown has thousands of unreleased tracks by many of their acts, but yet they continue to release endless compilations with the same ten songs like The Temptations' My Girl or ABC by the J5. Most of the label's officially released albums are out of print, except maybe in Japan, where you can find all types of obscure albums by forgotten acts. They can release the vault material instead of remix CDs of worn out hits.

I agree, though I still think Motown does a much better job then Sony.
The Soulsation box and Hello World box are great releases.

And 'I want you back: unreleased masters', the stripped mixes and the uncoming 'Jackson 5 live at the forum' are great too, though those releases obviously have something to do with Michael's passing. That being said, I'd choose all 3 of these albums above anything Sony's done lately.

Jermaine seems kind of left out though, he really was a pretty successfull solo artist at the time. And Jermaine was just as popular as Michael in the early J5 days:

…in the early days of Jacksonmania it was clear that many of the fans were there for Jermaine, the group’s 15-year-old sex symbol. Even MJ knew the score: to a rising frenzy he introduced “I Found That Girl” as “the song you’ve all been waiting for.”
Source: http://j5live.tumblr.com/

I agree, though I still think Motown does a much better job then Sony.
The Soulsation box and Hello World box are great releases.

And 'I want you back: unreleased masters', the stripped mixes and the uncoming 'Jackson 5 live at the forum' are great too, though those releases obviously have something to do with Michael's passing. That being said, I'd choose all 3 of these albums above anything Sony's done lately.

Jermaine seems kind of left out though, he really was a pretty successfull solo artist at the time. And Jermaine was just as popular as Michael in the early J5 days:

Source: http://j5live.tumblr.com/
Motown wasn't doing well in general by the mid 1970s. Gordy was busy trying to make Diana Ross a movie star and not focusing as much on the record side. By that point, Stevie Wonder and maybe the Commodores were the main ones that was doing much business. Jermaine was working as an A&R guy and producer for Motown a little while.

but that's how labels operate. they like to play it safe. the money is still more important to them, than the art.

but that's how labels operate. they like to play it safe. the money is still more important to them, than the art.
I don't know how they're making any money by continuously releasing hundreds of different compilations with the same songs that hardly anybody buys. How many times does somebody need to buy Papa Was A Rolling Stone or Dancing In The Street?

Since this years marks Philly Internationals 50th anniversary it would be appropriate to finally release this long forgotten treasure. But who exactly has the rights to this album and its songs? Motown/Universal or Philly/Sony?

These are supposed to be the song titles:

Do Unto Others
50/50
Lucky Charm
Hide And Seek
Just Can't Get Around You
Somewhere From Now
Keep Our Fingers Crossed
Startin' Out On The Wrong Foot
Two Is Company
(What's) Good For The Gander
Home