"Michael Jackson's Life Could Have Been Saved" by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach

LoveMJackson

Proud Member
New article by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach:

This Friday marks one year since the passing of Michael Jackson. His legacy remains highly controversial. On one side there are ardent fans who consider him the central inspiration of their lives. On the other there are strident critics who believe he was hopelessly weird with an unhealthy interest in children. In the middle are those who simply love his music and miss his talent.

The truth about Michael as I knew and understood him was something else entirely. Michael Jackson forever remained the broken boy who yearned for a normal childhood but was thrust reluctantly into a spotlight that slowly became addictive. Immersed in a celebrity culture rife with human corruption, he yearned to be innocent. Starved of affection, he spent his life looking for love but ultimately settled for attention. Surrounded by sycophants who indulged his every unhealthy whim, he longed to find an authentic and spiritual environment. And trapped in a cocoon of incarcerating fame, he craved to consecrate his celebrity to a cause larger than himself.

The tragedy of his life was his failure to achieve these noble aims. Michael knew that God had given him a special gift and with it the power to 'heal the world, make it a better place.' He understood the responsibility of celebrity and was devastated as his was slowly transformed into notoriety. He hated to be hated and was crushed by the chasm between what he saw as his sincere intentions to do good verses the uncharitable public perception of him as a shallow materialist.

Once, in the midst of the thirty hours of recordings we did together for publication in a book that would allow Michael to speak directly to the public, he revealed how defamatory his celebrity had become. "You get tired and it just wears you down. You can't go somewhere where they don't manipulate what you do and say, that bothers me so much, and you are nothing like the person that they write about, nothing. To get called Whacko, that's not nice. People think something is wrong with you because they make it up. I am nothing like that. I am the opposite of that."

Polite to a fault, he was a soft and gentle soul who prided himself on being different to other celebrities. Whereas they partied in nightclubs, Michael loved being around ordinary families. Where they put, as Michael said, needles in their arms, he was a vegetarian who wouldn't be caught dead with a street drug. And where they, as Michael maintained, engaged in tawdry relationships, Michael preferred the company of innocent kids.

What he could not see was that overindulging in medication prescribed by a doctor was just as destructive as a street drug and was motivated by the same celebrity emptiness. He was also oblivious to his own excess when it came to kids. It was one thing to show kindness and friendship to children. It was another thing entirely to invite them into your bed.

I do not for a moment believe Michael was a *********. Those who judge him as such forget that the only time he was charged he was utterly acquitted, and it is time for the public to exonerate him as well. But he gave himself license to cross lines of basic propriety that brought him into disrepute and soiled his message as to the purity and innocence that adults could learn from children. For a man who spent his life trying to educate the public as to the wonders of childhood, this was a monumental failure, and he knew it. The suspicion cast on him by a public whose love he had spent a lifetime cultivating marked the principal sorrow of his life. It would have tragic consequences when he turned increasingly to painkillers to numb the ache.

A year after his death what most haunts me is the knowledge that Michael's life could so easily have been saved. What Michael needed was not painkillers but counseling, not the numbing of an inner wound through drugs but the awakening of an inner conscience through spiritual guidance. He needed a wise voice in his ear guiding him to a mastery of his demons before they consumed him. Any number of people could have rescued Michael from impeding oblivion. Most of all, he craved the love and validation of his father. What emerges most strikingly in our recorded conversations -- conversations that Michael knew would be read by a wide audience, perhaps including his parents -- was the hurt he felt toward his father on the one hand, and the extreme affection he harbored for him on the other. Michael had many fans, but he played primarily to an audience of one.

But while his life is sadly irretrievable, the lessons to be culled from his life are not. Few were as eloquent in articulating the profound lessons parents could learn from being around their children. Fewer still were more attuned to the lifelong scarring of children who were victims of neglect. I can still hear Michael's daily admonishments to me to look my children in the eye and tell them I loved them and to never allow a night to go by without reading them a bedtime story.

When first I learned of his death my immediate reaction, I am ashamed to say, was anger. You silly man, I thought. How could you? You knew your children, whom you adored, depended on you. You were the most devoted father. How could you orphan them? You Michael, to whom God bequeathed such unequaled talent, just threw it away?

Twelve months later the anger is gone, replaced by a deep sadness. He was an imperfect candle. But his striving to go beyond the caricature he had become and redeem his life by visiting orphanages and hospitals was illuminating. The lyrics of his songs spoke to the human yearning to mend the broken pieces of the human soul and become whole. Whether it was encouraging himself and his fans to be the man looking in the mirror, or healing the world, he wished for his music to inspire people to choose goodness.

A year after his untimely passing it is time to finally mourn Michael as a man. To remember him not as an entertainer, or to miss him as an international icon - an object without feelings or pain - but as a struggling soul who tried to transform the pain of his broken childhood into an inspirational message of parents cherishing their children. It is time to evaluate Michael his life not in the context of an idol who had much money and fame but as a man who searched for a real home that was not a stage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-shmuley-boteach/michael-jacksons-life-cou_b_618967.html

Shouldn't this be in the We've Had Enough tabloid forum? Boteach is scum.

Councilling? they wouldn't have a clue how to treat him, they would use practise's for the common man and try to use them on a creative genius, it would just make him stressed. I can't stand this man.

Councilling? they wouldn't have a clue how to treat him, they would use practise's for the common man and try to use them on a creative genius, it would just make him stressed. I can't stand this man.

totally agree......:agree:

Shouldn't this be in the We've Had Enough tabloid forum? Boteach is scum.

Sorry if its not the right place.. I'm not a fan of Shmuely either AND I do not agree with everything he wrote here but he's not bashing Michael. maybe the man is trying to be honest for once? I could be wrong.

all this man and many like him are trying to do is stretch out their dwindling 15 minutes of fame. After Michael's death and before i tuned out all tabloid trash. this is part of it. These were to be Michaels friends and now they are outing all his private business for the world to see. If they were friends he would have done something long ago to stop Michael. If these friends he has now that are stabing him in the back saw things go down hill why didn't they do anything besides stand there and let it happen? If i was Michaels friend i would have done something. Been a friend when he needed me not a provider.

Has there ever been someone that doesnt make MJ sound GOD LIKE that was not bashed on by fans?? I'm not saying im a fan of shmuley, but like I said yesterday.. Just because someone sees MJ differently then how we WANT them to see Michael doesn't make them automatically bad

Has there ever been someone that doesnt make MJ sound GOD LIKE that was not bashed on by fans?? I'm not saying im a fan of shmuley, but like I said yesterday.. Just because someone sees MJ differently then how we WANT them to see Michael doesn't make them automatically bad

Your right. But when you have a friend and you see him going down a bad road and dont stop him then you aint much of a friend. This man saw things that should have been stopped. But he stood by just like all the others and let michael do as he pleased. Like i said before. If i was Michaels friend i wouldn't stand by and watch him die id do something to stop it from happening. Unlike these leeches.

I can't put my finger on it but it just seems to me that while other people use Mike's unreleased material or ride their 5 seconds of fame painting some sort of ugly picture of MJ, he is doing the same thing, using private material pertaining to some most hurtful situations and sad moments of Michael's life.

And for me there's something wrong with claiming that he is doing it in order to educate the world on love for children, or so. For me he hides behind noble excuses, yet does nothing other than Lester et all. Besides I despise people that THINK they know everything about other people, what would help them, what would heal them and present themselves as ultimate experts on others lives. Very comfortable to present yourself in this light right now, isn't it? And everyone immediately knows all references, given that so much of Michael's life was put in a limelight at all times, and ultimately became a symbol in a way.

Effective PR, Boteach. Really. I'd be much more grateful if you were there trying to use your overwhelming knowledge and instincts to help him when you could.
Why don't you go on your own and try to show the world what you claim Mike failed to achieve at the end?
Just try to make it on your own instead of pointing your finger at him, how about that?
Right know I can only read, shrug and ignore. Yet another one.

i think this guy needs more help then any one else.just by reading religious book everyday doesn't make u religious ,u have bring that out in ur behavior.if he think he has degree in psychology and he can help some one by reading religious book then god save his soul.

... His legacy remains highly controversial...

Maybe Boteach should define what it is that he considers his legacy and what exactly is "highly controversial" about that legacy? Hot air...

Starved of affection, he spent his life looking for love but ultimately settled for attention...
Funny, Rabbi, very funny. We all are looking for love, seems like you're doing the same thing, you like the attention. That must be the reason you're on every TV show that will let you on. 'Cause you don't like attention and you have never heard of self-promotion at all. :rofl::rofl:

The tragedy of his life was his failure to achieve these noble aims.
Not up to you to judge, Sir. Don't you DARE.
Who's to say he failed and b)being a good person when the whole world hates you takes a lot of integrity, I guess Boteach can't see that.
And c, Rabbi- what's a success to you, what's a failure? You like to beat up on those who (in your perception) are down or something? That's very classy...

Once, in the midst of the thirty hours of recordings we did together for publication in a book that would allow Michael to speak directly to the public, he revealed how defamatory his celebrity had become.
Well, "allowed" is taking a bit too far, Boteach...How come you didn't publish these tapes while he was alive, hm?

Polite to a fault, he was a soft and gentle soul who prided himself on being different to other celebrities.
Not to worry, Rabbi, you're not in any danger that we call you that, don't you worry.

He was also oblivious to his own excess when it came to kids. It was one thing to show kindness and friendship to children. It was another thing entirely to invite them into your bed.
It's always fun to condemn what you don't understand. What excess? The bed story, please Rabbi, have someone explain to you were the accusers slept and were Michael slept.

The suspicion cast on him by a public whose love he had spent a lifetime cultivating marked the principal sorrow of his life. It would have tragic consequences when he turned increasingly to painkillers to numb the ache.
Thanks for being part of the club of those adding to his pain.

What Michael needed was not painkillers but counseling, not the numbing of an inner wound through drugs but [U]the awakening of an inner conscience through spiritual guidance.[/U]
I just love.love.love. someone like Boteach preach that Michael Jackson, of all people (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) needed some spiritual awakening in consciousness. Are you @#$%^&* kidding me? Michael Jackson needed more spirituality?? Really. He lived for 50 years despite slander, defamation and character assassination BECAUSE he was such a spiritual man, because, not in lack of.
Lesser man would have killed themselves after a few years of that kind of malicious attack on one's integrity.
Oh wait, MJ probably didn't feel like accepting Boteach as the ultimate spiritual guidance, that's bound to make the clergy mad...

Most of all, he craved the love and validation of his father.
And that's now Michael's fault, too? I recommend YOU, Rabbi, spend some more time in counseling classes for strictly educational purposes so that you may understand that it is NEVER okay to use an abused child's longing for love against him/her. To even bring Michael's longing for acceptance of his father into context of "failure" speaks mountains. There is a place for speaking of an abused child's longing for acceptance- making it part of the "failure laundry list of Michael Jackson" is despicable. Found some basic compassion (not just talk about it)- than come back.

Few were as eloquent in articulating the profound lessons parents could learn from being around their children. Fewer still were more attuned to the lifelong scarring of children who were victims of neglect. I can still hear Michael's daily admonishments to me to look my children in the eye and tell them I loved them and to never allow a night to go by without reading them a bedtime story.
Oh, Rabbi, did you learn a lesson from this "failure" after all?? :cheeky:

When first I learned of his death my immediate reaction, I am ashamed to say, was anger. You silly man, I thought. How could you? You knew your children, whom you adored, depended on you. You were the most devoted father. How could you orphan them? You Michael, to whom God bequeathed such unequaled talent, just threw it away?
P.S.: Cause of death was amended to "homicide", into "died at the hands of another."
Last I checked there's a physician going to be on trial.
I'm sure Michael will have the patience to listen to your apology after you realize a few things.

A year after his untimely passing it is time to finally mourn Michael as a man. To remember him not as an entertainer, or to miss him as an international icon - an object without feelings or pain - but as a struggling soul who tried to transform the pain of his broken childhood into an inspirational message of parents cherishing their children.
a) Rabbi, than why don't you stop hurting him? You didn't just give an interview in the spur of the moment, no, you published a whole book. That's calculation, not "loosing it in the heat of the moment."

b) Rabbi, why do you think I admire MJ so much? Because he tried. Guess you can't see that.

I personally don't really worry about Thome, DiLeo and all these other people a whole lot because I don't really hear them speak or because I only have second/third hand hearsay.

But people like Boteach and Uri Geller in particular make my blood boil. You betrayed him like I would never want to be betrayed.

Last edited:
Boteach should look at his own sins and no cast stones at Michael. And one other thing- i wish that the slimy man and the media didn't keep going on about Michael dying of painkillers. I'm sick of the lies! Boteach dosen't even know what Michael died from!

...he longed to find an authentic and spiritual environment.

Shmuley, because of the fact that MJ no longer wanted to have anything to do with you, it is totally obvious that you lacked the ability to provide him with such an environment. Also, did you noticed that MJ started looking happier AFTER he got away from you? What is your explanation for that?

he is another person i don't have any love for i just can't wait for the truth to really come out might take a few years for the people to speak the real but it will be all worth it. Its a shame all these people who saying this and that speaking out are nothing but fake garbage those who really had or try to reached out was black balled MJ never had a chance to be saved and this clown knows it they all need to stop trying so hard.

It sounds like Shmuley just wants to extend his 15 minutes of fame by reminding everyone that he knew Michael.

Back