Does Anyone Feel That Michael Raised Them?

Loralee

Proud Member
Hi Everyone,

During the Anniversary of MJ's passing, I was looking through all my MJ CDs and wondering why I still feel as if I have lost someone so very special that my heart still aches.

I was thinking about the main reason Michael is so special to me, and I figured that it's because I feel that Michael Jackson has "raised" me just as a parent would raise a child.
I was 11 when I became a fan and Michael has been in my heart ever since.
I'm nearly 21 now and I feel as if I would not be the same person if Michael had not come into my life.

He was (and still is) like a parent, a mentor, or a teacher to me.
He is someone to look up to, follow, imitate, and learn from.
Does anyone feel the same way??

To me, Michael bears a similarity to Sidney Poitier's character in the film 'To Sir, with Love'.
The lyrics to the theme song of this movie resonate strongly with me and I would sing this to Michael if I could:

Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone,
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try,

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters,
That would soar a thousand feet high,
To Sir, with Love

The time has come,
For closing books and long last looks must end,
And as I leave,
I know that I am leaving my best friend,
A friend who taught me right from wrong,
And weak from strong,
That's a lot to learn,
What, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I, would rather you let me give my heart,
To Sir, with Love

Does anyone else feel that Michael Jackson has raised them?

i agree with you wholeheartedly...i've loved Michael since I was about 6 years old, in 1988....he's never left my heart, and never will.....i can't really explain much else, cuz you explained it perfectly!

i guess that's why it's so painfully difficult to say goodbye :cry:

I totally agree with you guys. I am 30 years old and I have been a fan of his for as long as I could remember. I can't even remember a time where I didn't L..V.E. Michael. But it really wasn't until the start of the HIStory Era when I had started to become the hardcore fan that I am now. And I had always consider Michael more of a father to me than my real father would ever be to me. Especially because of the very poor relationship I have with my real father. Which is why I am still suffering from clinical depression over what had happen to my beloved Michael. And I think I always will be suffering from it. Even though I am trying to get better but it is still just so very hard to do that. :sad: :boohoo:

He has been a great teacher for me. I definitely would not be the person I am today without all I learned from him. Nice idea for a thread! :heart:

:heart: Yes, I truly feel this from the bottom of my heart and soul. Growing up, there where 3 things in my very unstable life that stayed the same wherever I was. My mother, my brother, and Michael. I call them M3 (my brother's name is also Michael), LOL.

And when I first came to the US at the tender age of 3, it was Michael who showed me what American music and culture was all about. That is a BIG-ass deal saying that I barely even spoke proper English at the time... and I hadn't even started Kindergarten yet.

When Thriller came out in '82, I was only 4 years old. I discovered cable and MTV.... and of course, Michael. He's the reason that dancing and music is a HUGE part of my soul and who I am today. He showed me that it was okay to follow your heart and your dreams--and NOTHING was unattainable.

He was with me at all times... no matter who my step-father, boyfriend, hubby, friends, or where I was living, and what I was doing in my life at the time. I NEVER stopped loving him. He always made me feel so happy and at peace. At home. And I will NEVER EVER stop loving him. :angel:

I completely understand you all. I remember when I was about 8 years old, I managed to get a copy of the History album after becoming obsessed with Michael due to the History tour being played on television. I've never really told this story here, or anywhere else for that matter, but this thread just sparked up a lot of crazy memories. My mother was never home, as she was struggling financially since my dad ditched us, and she worked two jobs just to make ends meet. So, as I child, I pretty much had to raise myself. One day, I was alone in my room. I picked up the history album and began reading tracklist on the back of the jewel case, and something written on the top left hand corner caught my attention. It said "Dedicated to all my children of the world, the healthy, the sick, and the dying... I love you dearly... I will always love you. Love MJ." I was like "I'm a child. Does that mean he loves me? ME!?" I know it sounds ridiculous and I know you all are gonna call me crazy, but I don't care. For the FIRST TIME in my entire life, I felt loved. That statement hit me like a tonne of bricks.

So to answer your question, yes, I do feel like Michael raised me. At that moment, he kind of became the father I never had :cry: I truly believe he raised a lot of us, though. When he died, I know many people were saying they felt like their entire childhood died with him. I feel the same way. I think a lot of us do.

Last edited:
I can see this point of view, especially after joining this forum almost 1 year ago to mourn his passing and discovering that there are so many very young (under 25) Michael Jackson fans, which is so beautiful. I cannot say this about myself because I am 46 and I feel like I grew up along with him. But for the younger fans, yes, I can definitely understand if they feel that Michael raised them in a way. Especially if your childhood was difficult. In many ways Michael was (and still is) a good roll model and father figure.

Im 42 and i have loved mj since the age of 10 in a way i feel like mj was a brother of mine. i grew up with him and his music!!! when michael got sick a few times i cried, when he was happy i was happy , when sad i was sad and so on its like all mj fans connect to mj like their souls connect ...and since his passing i have felt this huge void in my life like something is missing..his passsing is like losing a vv close family member.. but the world seems soooooooooooo different without him here ..everything has changed.. but i will continue to cary mj in my heart and soul forever!!! his legacy will live on as long as we keep it alive!!!!

love u mj and miss u soooooooooooo much!!!

Yes, I do feel like Michael rised me. I never really had a father and my mum had to work all days long to provide for me and my sister. There was no one I could talk to about difficult things in life, I desperatelly needed a father figure, someone to look up to, someone to learn from. And Michael came along when I was 10. I am 28 now and everything I am is because of him. That's why I can't just get over it, it hurts tremendously much and to add that I lost both him and my mum in one year doesn't help at all.

same here. i am 23 and i went through a really rough time at home with my parents and i feel like Michael was there to guide me (in a sense) through not only his music but, through his views on life, love, and friendship etc. i'd come home to mjjc (it was mjjf at the time), talk to my MJ fan friends on AIM, and watch MJ videos on my VHS player every day after high school for all 4 years.

he really molded me into who i am today.

Hi Everyone,

During the Anniversary of MJ's passing, I was looking through all my MJ CDs and wondering why I still feel as if I have lost someone so very special that my heart still aches.

I was thinking about the main reason Michael is so special to me, and I figured that it's because I feel that Michael Jackson has "raised" me just as a parent would raise a child.
I was 11 when I became a fan and Michael has been in my heart ever since.
I'm nearly 21 now and I feel as if I would not be the same person if Michael had not come into my life.

He was (and still is) like a parent, a mentor, or a teacher to me.
He is someone to look up to, follow, imitate, and learn from.
Does anyone feel the same way??

To me, Michael bears a similarity to Sidney Poitier's character in the film 'To Sir, with Love'.
The lyrics to the theme song of this movie resonate strongly with me and I would sing this to Michael if I could:

Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone,
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try,

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters,
That would soar a thousand feet high,
To Sir, with Love

The time has come,
For closing books and long last looks must end,
And as I leave,
I know that I am leaving my best friend,
A friend who taught me right from wrong,
And weak from strong,
That's a lot to learn,
What, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I, would rather you let me give my heart,
To Sir, with Love

Does anyone else feel that Michael Jackson has raised them?

[youtube]UtH-hcm2jqQ[/youtube]

^^ OMG QBEE!!! Thank you so much for posting this video!
It's so sweet. It made me cry!

Loralee, Im glad you like it
You inspired me to make it. Ive always loved that song
and it does suite Michael and my feeling about him also

Definitely. I had happy childhood, I think, Michael was my role figure the same as my parents were. Especially during my teenage age he helped me to set up my values, to find myself. Basicly he made me who I am now.

Sure do! Im almost 31 and my mum was a fan since she was 6... (when Michael started!) - she played his music to me when she was pregnant with me so I pretty much popped out already in to Michael.

Michael was one of my first words. He was the magic of my childhood - his music dominated every birthday when i got gifts like albums or posters. Christmas was all about Michael too. He was on my t-shirts, and his doll featured in all my adventures with Barbie. No ken dolls in my house, only Michael :)

Losing him was losing family, no doubt about it. Michael was there through all the good times, all the bad times. I still have drawings I did of Michael when i was 3, letters i wrote to him in barely legible child scrawl.

His death leaves a hole that no one can ever fill. My committment to him is to try to do something every day to help the earth. and I will teach my kids about him oneday when I have them too.

My mum gave me the greatest gift when she introduced me to MJ... for that, I will always be grateful.

So to answer your question, yes, I do feel like Michael raised me. At that moment, he kind of became the father I never had :cry: I truly believe he raised a lot of us, though. When he died, I know many people were saying they felt like their entire childhood died with him. I feel the same way. I think a lot of us do.

I so need to meet you next time I get down to Sydney... so many of your posts resonate with me...

I have many, many fond memories of Michael, but this one always brings such a big smile to my face everytime I think about it...

Back in '01 when I was 22 years old, I was a bartender at a nightclub and we were allowed to dance on the bars and stuff (yes... just like Coyote Ugly, lol). The club had 3 floors. 1st floor was "90s and Today", 2nd floor was The 70's club, and the 3rd and my most favorite floor of all time was of course, the 80s club. It was called the "Culture Club", lol. Lemme' tell you I used to dance my A$$ off on that floor and on the bar to all those 80s hits. It was such a great time in my life, like I was living my dream or something. :dance:

I was going through a divorce with my ex at the time, and what I was doing made me so happy because I was dancing, I was performing, aaaaannndddd there was a GINORMOUS painting of Michael right smack in the middle of the main wall of the floor. Michael's beautiful Thriller cover!!

It was the greatest thing in the world because when I was dancing, I would always look at that painting and smile, smile, smile--even though I was going through one of the most painful times of my life with going through a devastating divorce and everything. :dancing:

I got to listen to all his songs from the 70s on the 2nd floor, too. "Don't Stop Til Ya Get Enough" was always a crowd pleaser, of course. :dancin:

So even while I was at work he took my mind off my troubles. I will never forget having all eyes on me while I danced my butt off, smiling all the while, and there Michael was... the biggest painting ever, his eyes staring right at me the whole time while I was getting my groove on, LMAO.

So see... music, dancing, and being in the club, around entertainers, etc, etc, has just always been what I did. I never had anything, nor do I have anything to prove to anyone. I am AT HOME at any place that plays music. And again... who was there with me in my heart, while I was just trying to be myself through such a difficult time in my life? Michael.... :cry:

I love you Michael!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Sorry if this post is all screwy and you guys are thinking, "WTF???"... but I've been up all night and should be asleep right now. :p

Last edited:
Being the perfectionist like a certain somebody I know :smilerolleyes:...lol... It was painful, but I think the above post should make a little sense now. Yes, I edited it, even though I told myself I wouldn't! :tease:

yes, I feel the same way too! I was 5 when Bad came out and since his music and influence has followed me all my life.
recently I met a friend from elementary school whom I didn't see for over 15 years and the first thing she told me was that when she heard that Michael died last year she thought of how sad must I feel at the moment! people remembered me from those years by my love for Michael.
and now with him gone, I feel like a part of me has gone too :( but at the same time, a part of him is still here with me, if that makes any sense what I am trying to say..

Am I the only one who has NO childhood memories of Michael? God, why didn't my family even mention him or ever pop up his music?! I'm such a late fan because I became a fan when he died!!! GRRRRRR!! You know why I'm angry for this? Because when I was a child, I didn't even know who Michael Jackson was! My family NEVER mentioned him. I'm almost 20 and I cannot believe this!

Sure do! Im almost 31 and my mum was a fan since she was 6... (when Michael started!) - she played his music to me when she was pregnant with me so I pretty much popped out already in to Michael.

Michael was one of my first words. He was the magic of my childhood - his music dominated every birthday when i got gifts like albums or posters. Christmas was all about Michael too. He was on my t-shirts, and his doll featured in all my adventures with Barbie. No ken dolls in my house, only Michael :)

Losing him was losing family, no doubt about it. Michael was there through all the good times, all the bad times. I still have drawings I did of Michael when i was 3, letters i wrote to him in barely legible child scrawl.

His death leaves a hole that no one can ever fill. My committment to him is to try to do something every day to help the earth. and I will teach my kids about him oneday when I have them too.

My mum gave me the greatest gift when she introduced me to MJ... for that, I will always be grateful.

Sounds so much like me! My mom was the one who introduced me to Michael too...she was born in '58 as well, and just adored him too....Being a fan of Michael is the greatest experience...

what a sweet thread...
Indeed, Michael 'raised' me too ;)

I fell in :heart: with Michael when I was 10 and my 'granny' had bought me an MJ posterbook and she said : "you lay this on your nighttable and when you can't sleep... You look at the pictures and you dream of him... He'll always be there for you..." I was 11 then... Wise Granny, she's now 88 and still talks about 'that litlle cute boy' on stage with his bro's ;)
I wanted a bro'... but somehow it didn't work out for my parents and so Michael became my "big bro' "... Whenever, I ask my mum why I'm an 'only child' she comments... If you had a bro' then you wouldn't have Michael do you? Of course, I'm silenced then...
I remember the psychologist at school telling my parents he was so amazed that Michael Jackson could have such a POSITIVE influence on a person... I was this too quiet child but Michael made me blossom open like a flower...

what a sweet thread...
Indeed, Michael 'raised' me too ;)

I fell in :heart: with Michael when I was 10 and my 'granny' had bought me an MJ posterbook and she said : "you lay this on your nighttable and when you can't sleep... You look at the pictures and you dream of him... He'll always be there for you..." I was 11 then... Wise Granny, she's now 88 and still talks about 'that litlle cute boy' on stage with his bro's ;)
I wanted a bro'... but somehow it didn't work out for my parents and so Michael became my "big bro' "... Whenever, I ask my mum why I'm an 'only child' she comments... If you had a bro' then you wouldn't have Michael do you? Of course, I'm silenced then...
I remember the psychologist at school telling my parents he was so amazed that Michael Jackson could have such a POSITIVE influence on a person... I was this too quiet child but Michael made me blossom open like a flower...

That's amazing! And such a sweet story. Michael has that effect and it's unexplainable!

Well my response to this thread is yes as well.
To put it briefly, I was introduced to Michael when I was very young. When I was 4 my mum bought my the Heal The World cassette because I loved that song so much. When I was that young I obviously had not much of an idea of who Michael was or anything like that. Somebody mentioned about the note that was on the HIStory album...I remember that exact same note! I was in and out of hospital all through my childhood and I always dreamed I'd be one of those kids that Michael visited :) Obviously I never was...but it was a distraction at least! So as I'm going through my teen years that's when Michael became a huge part of everyday life for me. Through all the troubles at school who I didn't dare to confide in anybody in my real life about, Michael was there. Through music and his words, I felt like he really cared and understood. I have a troubled relationship with my parents, its better now but in those days I may as well have been living in a house by myself the amount of time I got from them. I guess what I'm trying to say is Michael was the constant presence throughout my life and he shows that if you have the heart and the passion you really can do anything, and get through anything.

That's why I miss him so much, because it's like he's just gone. There's a void in my world and soul that I can probably patch up and work over, but it will always be there and won't ever heal. He's too important. And I would have liked to have thanked him one day for pulling me through some pretty rough times. Because of him, I am who I am today. And that might sound corny as hell and ridiculous to some but it is what it is and I'm willing to give him all that credit.

I love him and miss him with all my heart.

I grew up with his voice in my ears and I've learned a lot from him since I was a little kid, so the answer would be yes. Part of what I believe today and also the things I enjoy doing it's because of his influence.

I'm 23y.o. and I believe he was like a father figure... My dad is great...but Michael thought me the most important things in life like *Love, humbleness, helping people, Loving people, Not Judging others, being the best I can be, to be confident, to believe in my self...etc...* In all honesty, I've never cried so much for other person as I've done for him. The closer the 25th gets, the more emotional I get. This thread actually got me tearing a bit.

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Yes Michael has always been my inspiration and such a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. i had a difficult childhood and always felt I had Michael to keep me strong. I remember being 6 years old watching Moonwalker mesmerised and I also remember being a child crying and listening to Michael to cheer me up - nothings changed there!

Back