"Butterflies" (different master)

Korgnex

Proud Member
Country
Germany
Hi fellow collectors,

I've surprisingly stumbled over a differently mastered version of "Butterflies" where the vocals are much more dominant(!) throughout the song and also the ending is a bit different.

1) vocals are dominant over music
The vocals are more dominant over the music throughout the whole song. So this version is pretty much enjoyable because you hear everything that MJ is singing very clear - as if he would sit next to you. On the album version the singing intermixes with the music, it all seems to be compressed to form a unified whole. But on this different master the singing is louder than the music.
My guess is that this different master actually is the original final version of the track, but for the album and later promo items, it has been "normalized" due to the loudness war at that time which lead to songs being tampered with until everything in it was as loud as possible, losing much of the dynamics of a song.

2) different ending / fade-out
The second difference is that the song's last seconds are different. Michael can be heard singing in wonderful falsetto "You give me butterflies" during the fade out, in the very last seconds of the song.

AUDIO sample:

Has anybody ever heard about this different master? I want to find out how rare it actually is.

Korgnex :punk:

Last edited:
Oh it is not very rare, You can surely share with us this beautiful alternate version ;)

This was most recently mentioned in the new proposed album discussion thread...

Yes, by myself before I made this thread. :D

haha! lolol I just nipped off to see where i had seen it and just found your post on page 299! lololol Thought it was weird I had seen it earlier this morning! lolol I haven't heard this version can can't use rapidshare so would love to hear it if you have another way of sharing.
:D

^ I've only uploaded a very short snippet so far. I'm currently considering a leak, but I'm not yet sure.

Maybe We could find other songs from Invincible with the vocals are much more dominant ?

I'm sure test pressings of the other tracks of INVINCIBLE also have this natural sound. It seems like someone responsible for the final album master that went into mass production pumped up all the instruments/sound effects in volume to get this uniform sound. The bass is really heavy on the album version, it frequently drowns or collides with the vocals by MJ and Marsha Ambrosius. On the different master the singing and the finger snaps are dominating and the song sounds much more mellow.

Korgnex, I'd personally love a leak of this. The reason I don't listen to the album much is 'cause of the mixing. It's just so loud. It's the same reason I don't listen to the 2001 remasters. I hate this loudness war. Invincible had some killer tracks, I just can't listen to them as much 'cause of how frustrating the volume mixing is. If you do leak this, it would personally mean a lot to me, as a huge audiophile :). I hope this at least partially sways you in your final decision (Also, thanks so much for leaking the snippet. It really does sound better mixed).

^ I've only uploaded a very short snippet so far. I'm currently considering a leak, but I'm not yet sure.

Hope after considering it, you'll decide to share it. I'd love to hear this master:)
>> Yes, Free the others Invincible masters please :yes:

Last edited:
This is just a message to anyone else reading this with other Invincible masters in their possession: Please set them free, with all the politics and blackmail from Sony to MJ with this album, all us fans got screwed royally, but not as much as MJ's album. Release them, and let people know that THIS is what the album was SUPPOSED to be, not just another pawn in the loudness game. Thank you.

Many ppl including myself have been looking for this version. I consider it rare being that members have been asking for this since 2001 and not one leak yet. So please do Korgnex ;)

Spmhz.png

TOP = FLAC (Lossless) of album track
BOTTOM = Korgnex's Lossless of the Master

These are 2 parts are the same part of the chorus, placed side by side. I couldn't use the SAME chrous, though, 'cause the part in Korgnex's is during the fade out in the original (but if played, it's perfectly in sync). Max peak levels are near the same, but only where it's needed. Looking at this spectrum looks like all of his other albums. Korgnex, I really hope you decide to leak this one, it's one of the few I'm actually excited about :(. lol, Have mercy on us mere mortal non-collectors.

Hey Korgnex, this sounds very interesting indeed... Is there any chance you can take a photo of the CD / DAT which the snippet was ripped from?

This is how the CD looks like:

*removed picture*
Sorry for the watermarks, they are just there to avoid misuse of my scan. I've seen more and more scammers using pics from other collectors, trying to sell fake CD-Rs.

Last edited:
^^ Totally understand the use of watermarks my friend :)

Thanks so much for posting a scan, I love seeing the physical media that things like this are on!

Are tracks 1 & 6 the same as the final album cut?

^ I need to check them again. Maybe they are also differently mastered (with the vocals more dominant). I can't remember though at the moment, I only know that "You Rock My World" is the Radio Edit (4:31 min).

I've just checked "You Rock My World" and "Cry". The wave forms look the same and I don't hear any significant differences.

"Butterflies" however is a completely different story: The wave form peaks at a significantly lower level. Here you can see the difference between album version and this master:

"Butterflies" - ALBUM VERSION
butterfliesinvincible.jpg

"Butterflies" - DIFFERENT MASTER
butterfliesacetate.jpg

Hi fellow collectors,

I've surprisingly stumbled over a differently mastered version of "Butterflies" where the vocals are much more dominant(!) throughout the song and also the ending is a bit different.

1) vocals are dominant over music
The vocals are more dominant over the music throughout the whole song. So this version is pretty much enjoyable because you hear everything that MJ is singing very clear - as if he would sit next to you. On the album version the singing intermixes with the music, it all seems to be compressed to form a unified whole. But on this different master the singing is louder than the music.
My guess is that this different master actually is the original final version of the track, but for the album and later promo items, it has been "normalized" due to the loudness war at that time which lead to songs being tampered with until everything in it was as loud as possible, losing much of the dynamics of a song.

2) different ending / fade-out
The second difference is that the song's last seconds are different. Michael can be heard singing in wonderful falsetto "You give me butterflies" during the fade out, in the very last seconds of the song.

AUDIO sample:

Has anybody ever heard about this different master? I want to find out how rare it actually is.

Korgnex :punk:

Where did you get this mix? I have been looking for something like this for a long time! Been keeping an eye on ebay but nothing so far.

Let me just say, it was a remarkable coincidence. The seller and I didn't know the CD includes this master. It is a one-only acetate CD. No other copies exist. This master could however be on any other rare CD but I don't know of any.

Also: I'm working on a big, big surprise for all fans, especially the collectors, that has also to do with BUTTERFLIES.

I plan on leaking both at the same time. But I need more time for the different matter.

^ I read that this "Butterflies" was played on the radio years ago?

Sounds great, Korgnex, looking forward to your leaks, hope within a week!

Yes, a few people told me this was played on the radio. I wonder in which countries though.

Does anybody know which countries received Butterflies as a promo track? I know it was given to radio stations in the USA by Sony Music where it peaked at #14 on Billboard TOP 100 singles charts.

Was it also distributed to the UK? France? Australia? Other countries?

Sounds great, Korgnex, looking forward to your leaks, hope within a week!

This will probably take longer.

Let me just say, it was a remarkable coincidence. The seller and I didn't know the CD includes this master. It is a one-only acetate CD. No other copies exist. This master could however be on any other rare CD but I don't know of any.

Also: I'm working on a big, big surprise for all fans, especially the collectors, that has also to do with BUTTERFLIES.

I plan on leaking both at the same time. But I need more time for the different matter.

That's great, please keep us updated on this thread.

Yes, a few people told me this was played on the radio. I wonder in which countries though.

Does anybody know which countries received Butterflies as a promo track? I know it was given to radio stations in the USA by Sony Music where it peaked at #14 on Billboard TOP 100 singles charts.

Was it also distributed to the UK? France? Australia? Other countries?

This will probably take longer.
It was definitely played here in the US

Back