Neverland State Park???

MsMo

Proud Member
def527_Neverland_07132010.jpg

California could consider acquiring Neverland Ranch as a state park

By Torey Van Oot / McClatchy Newspapers
Tuesday, July 13, 2010

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As home to pop legend Michael Jackson, Neverland Ranch housed a working locomotive, a Ferris Wheel and other amusement park rides, a 10,000-volume library and a zoo.

But could the opulent Santa Barbara County estate become home to California’s newest state park?

A resolution is in the works to order state parks officials to study converting the roughly 2,600-acre property into a state park. The state NAACP is backing the idea, and a lawmaker has signaled he is on board to carry the legislation.

"I think Michael’s history is world history and I think it would become the No. 1 attraction for the state parks if we could pull it off," said state NAACP President Alice Huffman, who also serves on the state Parks Commission.

Huffman said in addition to celebrating Jackson’s contributions to music and pop culture, Neverland would join Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park as state parks honoring African Americans. Those factors, she said, would make Neverland a "great, great addition to the state parks system."

Assemblyman Mike Davis, who chairs of the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism, and Internet Media, said while details of the resolution still need to be worked out, he thought the idea made "great sense" when it was first proposed to him at a recent reception.

"If they want to do it, I think it would be a great venture for the Parks Department of the state given the worldwide success (of Michael Jackson) and the fact that the state is lucky to have this property in our state," the Los Angeles Democrat said.

The property is co-owned by the Michael Jackson Estate and Santa Monica-based Colony Capitol, LCC, a private-equity firm that partnered with Jackson in 2008. The company declined to comment, though company President Thomas J. Barrack Jr. told Bloomberg News last month he hoped to sell it for more $100 million when the housing market recovers.

While Huffman said she hoped the state could explore partnerships for acquiring the ranch, such a potentially high asking price could be a deal breaker for some stakeholders.

State parks spokesman Roy Stearns said the already cash-strapped parks department isn’t looking to add properties to its portfolio, especially one that would cost $100 million.

"There has been no participation in any discussions about us acquiring Neverland," he said. "At this point in time we have no interest in acquiring the property."

Davis and other supporters also pointed to Tennessee’s Graceland, the privately-owned and operated estate of Elvis Presley, as an example of how such a venture could create revenue. Graceland park operations generated $36 million in revenue in 2009, according to the Memphis Business Journal.

Huffman likened a Neverland state park to Hearst Castle, another high-dollar celebrity dwelling that has come into the state’s hands.

The San Simeon estate of newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst was donated to the state in 1957 and welcomes about 800,000 visitors a year.

A tour costs $24 per person, but Stearns said it isn’t exactly a money-making venture for the state.
"It’s usually close to breaking even, but it’s an expensive place to maintain," he said.

Still, Huffman said the historic value of the property makes the idea worth exploring, even if profit levels are questionable.

"Even if it breaks even, when you’re preserving history and you’re making it available to the public, there are other values to that are assigned more than the money," Huffman said. "I think it would be a money-maker, but (more importantly) I think it’s a piece of California history and world history that ought to be preserved."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/na...ormat=&page=2&listingType=natwest#articleFull

Last edited:
Oh please, I don't understand how they could possibly pull this of. Two reasons why they couldn't/shouldn't:

1. How are they planing to accommodate so many visitors per year? Wasn't this one of the main reasons why Neverland didn't become Michael final resting place? Because the locals wouldn't approve all the crowds and the noise pollution they would cause?

and

2. How could the Estate allow something like this? Neverland, the symbol of Michael Jackson for so many years to become part of some foreign entity? Neverland should stay in the family! With all the revenues the Estate has been making since Michael's passing, couldn't they start thinking about buying Neverland back? Half of it that is, because correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Estate own half of Neverland? Because Michael only sold half of it? I must admit that I don't fully understand what happened to Neverland...

No NO NOOOO!!!

Michael would NEVER want that, he would hate the idea, I think I can safely say that. Michael liked the area for what it was and is. It would ruin the area, it's farmland out there around Michael's ranch.. the country side..

Last edited:
I think the Estate should buy the ranch back and keep it for Michael's children. It might mean a lot to Michael's kids since they spent their childhood with their father there.

I think the Estate should buy the ranch back and keep it for Michael's children. It might mean a lot to Michael's kids since they spent their childhood with their father there.

I agree, that would be a good thing to do and let them decide what's best for it when they get older. I very much doubt that would happen though...

I agree, that would be a good thing to do and let them decide what's best for it when they get older. I very much doubt that would happen though...

I also agree, but could you explain why you doubt that it would happen?

I also agree, but could you explain why you doubt that it would happen?

Because there are many fingers in the pie that is Neverland, there are other ways to make more money on a long term basis than if they sold it off to the estate now. It wouldn't make good business sense.

I personally think this is a WONDERFUL idea. State parks can be beautiful, serene places to go and enjoy the beauty with your family. The rides would make it too wild and commercial- but if it were landscaped beautifully and maybe the house held a museum with some of Michael's things it could be done tastefully. Then it would always remain part of history. The problem that can arise with the family solely owning it, should squabbles arise or funding issues present themselves or the children just don't want to deal with it any more then the property could be lost.

Because there are many fingers in the pie that is Neverland, there are other ways to make more money on a long term basis than if they sold it off to the estate now. It wouldn't make good business sense.

Ah I see..but that might change in the future...But if it doesn't, perhaps the estate could work with the other owners as well. Neverland has so many great possibilities :)

"I think Michael’s history is world history and I think it would become the No. 1 attraction for the state parks if we could pull it off," said state NAACP President Alice Huffman, who also serves on the state Parks Commission.

[...]

"If they want to do it, I think it would be a great venture for the Parks Department of the state given the worldwide success (of Michael Jackson) and the fact that the state is lucky to have this property in our state," the Los Angeles Democrat said.

[...]

Huffman : "I think it would be a money-maker, but (more importantly) I think it’s a piece of California history and world history that ought to be preserved."

I can't find the words to put this politely.... They show simply no shame. After all the State of California has done for Michael, you know... -_-

And so much wrong :angry:

All the discussion about they memorial expenses (which could have been managed at a lower profile level, no need to make such a big deal about it) and the people of Santa Monica... how friendly were they to Michael in life??????

SHAME ON ALL THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

So now Michael is such an important part of history... while earlier he was someone they wish they could get rid of. For them it's only a chance to cash using this name.

DESPICABLE!!!

I can't find the words to put this politely.... They show simply no shame. After all the State of California has done for Michael, you know... -_-

And so much wrong :angry:

All the discussion about they memorial expenses (which could have been managed at a lower profile level, no need to make such a big deal about it) and the people of Santa Monica... how friendly were they to Michael in life??????

SHAME ON ALL THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

So now Michael is such an important part of history... while earlier he was someone they wish they could get rid of. For them it's only a chance to cash using this name.

DESPICABLE!!!

u stole my thought . and i agree with JMie ,it belongs to his children not so called phony people .i thought he sold some part of it not whole ranch.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Michael Jackson faced criminal charges by the people of the state of California. Such an honor now, I think, would serve as further vindication by the state.

How dare they...............

They never once supported Michael during his life..............
.........And now they want to make money out of him!!!!!!!!!

We'll need to come out in force to show them what we think of it!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I doubt that the Estate and Neverland's co-owner will let that happen to their property!!!!!!!!................but it probably won't even get to that stage!!!!!!!!

This should be the decision of the family. The Kids have to be grown to make the decison together.It was their home before their dad passed. It should be bought back so they'll have a place to call home. If They don't want the house ,Then it should be something ,I can't say what. It would bring money into the state being that I hear it's running out of money but If Michael was still alive or if he had put it in his will what should be done with Neverland Valley Ranch aka Sycamore Ranch after he passed, Then we would have understood what his wishes was to do with the property and surrounding land. I have a feeling that there is another will out there,The thing is to find it.

This article is in the Sacrament Bee Newspaper. In the comment section people have posted some
lies about Michael Jackson, please consider clicking on the link and posting some
positive comments to remind people of the wonderful legacy of Michael Jackson.
Click on the link below:
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/13/2885946/naacp-moves-to-make-neverland.html#comments

(Moderators you might consider merging this thread with the existing "Neverland" thread. )

Here's a Fan Site with many pictures:
http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=8831

YES!!!!
I've been to the Neverland Ranch twice, and each time I was there Michael Jackson had it filled with people, especially children. Michael Jackson would love to have Neverland turned into a State Park.
giveheart.gif

Neverland belongs to Michael Jackson's fans.
003943246.jpg

003944427.jpg

003944426.jpg

neverland_12.jpg

003943351.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but what kind of BS is this?? It belongs to his children, if anyone..

:doh::doh::doh:

Cherubim doesn't literally mean that it belongs to us, but in a more emotional sense. As Michael Jackson fans we are all connected to Neverland in a special kind of way. She's said plenty of times that it belongs to his children.

Also As Cherubim says "I'm saying Neverland should be opened back up for the fans to visit and celebrate the life of Michael Jackson" , which I agree with very much :yes:. It would give all the Michael Jackson fans all over the World a common place where we could always celebrate him together :)

Last edited:
Cherubim doesn't literally mean that it belongs to us, but in a more emotional sense. As Michael Jackson fans we are all connected to Neverland in a special kind of way. She's said plenty of times that it belongs to his children.

Also As Cherubim says "I'm saying Neverland should be opened back up for the fans to visit and celebrate the life of Michael Jackson" , which I agree with very much :yes:. It would give all the Michael Jackson fans all over the World a more direct place where we could always celebrate him together :)

I was at Neverland recently, and looking at the way people have vandalized the stonewalls outside, I think it would be a VERY BAD IDEA to have more people come there.
Ok, she means "opened back up to the fans?" I think the fans have already had a lot of kindness from Michael, all those that have been invited in over the years. Now there's no more. And it was a home, with an amusementpark, and not foremost an amusementpark.

This article is in the Sacrament Bee Newspaper. In the comment section people have posted some
lies about Michael Jackson, please consider clicking on the link and posting some
positive comments to remind people of the wonderful legacy of Michael Jackson.
Click on the link below:
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/13/2885946/naacp-moves-to-make-neverland.html#comments

(Moderators you might consider merging this thread with the existing "Neverland" thread. )

YES!!!!
I've been to the Neverland Ranch twice, and each time I was there Michael Jackson had it filled with people, especially children. Michael Jackson would love to have Neverland turned into a State Park.
giveheart.gif

Neverland belongs to Michael Jackson's fans.
003943246.jpg

003944427.jpg

003944426.jpg

neverland_12.jpg

I was at Neverland recently, and looking at the way people have vandalized the stonewalls outside, I think it would be a VERY BAD IDEA to have more people come there.
Ok, she means "opened back up to the fans?" I think the fans have already had a lot of kindness from Michael, all those that have been invited in over the years. Now there's no more. And it was a home, with an amusementpark, and not foremost an amusementpark.

Alright, well we all have our opinions on this of course.. But I think we can all agree that, ultimately it will come down to what Michael's children to make the decision. If they decide to reopen it, or whatever they choose to do with it we should support them 100%. Only time will tell what will happen.

If it were to be reopened there would be much security so people cannot do anything wrong of course.

The only thing i want is Neverland to be restored to the way Michael had it when he lived there. He wanted that place for the kids he opened it up for the sick and the dieing. It needs to be used for just that. Not some park that will only make the rich richer and give nothing to his kids or any other kid.

The only thing i want is Neverland to be restored to the way Michael had it when he lived there. He wanted that place for the kids he opened it up for the sick and the dieing. It needs to be used for just that. Not some park that will only make the rich richer and give nothing to his kids or any other kid.

I agree :yes:, and if Michael's children were to open it I am sure they would make decisions based on what Michael would be happy with. That's probably why they would open it themselves, not for any other reason but to simply help those who need help :)

I totally agree!! Very well put.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Michael Jackson faced criminal charges by the people of the state of California. Such an honor now, I think, would serve as further vindication by the state.
I agree with you. :agree:

Michael's kids should decide what happens with Neverland, they lived there and know what their dad felt about it. It should never be about how much money it can make for the state, let his kids decide.

Back