Michael Jackson game 'negotiated before star's death'

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Ubisoft has made it clear that, although Michael Jackson: The Experience wasn't announced until well after the King of Pop's death, it is not a posthumous cash-in.

UK marketing director for Ubisoft Murray Pannel told GI.biz that - of course - he hoped *****'s popularity continued, but that Michael Jackson: The Experience was in development well before the superstar's passing:

"The truth is that we were engaged with Jackson and the Jackson family long before his death," he said.

"By all accounts he was very pro-actively looking for a partner that he felt could bring value - and Ubisoft seemed to fit the bill very well."

"So this isn't something that's been jumped on since his death - we've been working on this, despite the fact that we announced it quite recently, for a long time.

"It's well advanced in terms of the formats it's working on - we know how big he is, how loved he is by his fans and how successful he's been as an artist. Hopefully we can bring that to millions more gamers as well."

It seems that Ubisoft had to work hard for the game's rights, however, taking part in an 'intense bidding war' to get its hands on the Jackson name.

The game will be available for Kinect on for Xbox 360, PS3 Move, PSP, Wii and DS this 'Holiday' (Christmas).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=256321

sorry. that doesn't fly, simply because they released it after his death. they need to stop protesting. i'm sure people talked to MJ before..but most of these people like Ubisoft have that after death mentality, despite how obvious it was that MJ always had a strong fanbase, before his death. makes you wonder about if they respected MJ fans..

plus..it's just insulting to make this announcement. just be like the others, and be quiet, while having released your stuff after his death.

^^^agree..

"The truth is that we were engaged with Jackson and the Jackson family long before his death," he said.
What has Jackson family got to do with this?

If the game features songs which chronicle Michael's career, I assume they would need to talk to the family for older material ie. Stop The Love You Save, I'll Be There, I Want You Back, etc.

I hadn't heard anything of Ubisoft cashing in so why are they bringing things up now. I guess no one likes to be accused of cashing in on someone passing.

There were STRONG rumours of a game being in the works way before MJ died, so I have no reason to doubt this statement. As to why they're saying this now, I'm not so sure. I haven't heard / read anybody accusing them of cashing in, though it is easy to say why people would say that.
I believe 100% that MJ was behind this project.

maybe they're just letting it out there before anyone accuses them of it? maybe i'm wrong but i dont think they're guilty of anything. Like bobmoo79 said, there were rumors about an MJ game way before he died.

sorry. that doesn't fly, simply because they released it after his death. they need to stop protesting. i'm sure people talked to MJ before..but most of these people like Ubisoft have that after death mentality, despite how obvious it was that MJ always had a strong fanbase, before his death. makes you wonder about if they respected MJ fans..

plus..it's just insulting to make this announcement. just be like the others, and be quiet, while having released your stuff after his death.

we had announced the game on June 21st, 2009:

http://mjdatabank.com/memo/english_version/news/2009/june/20090621_mj_video_game.htm

I can confirm that this is true. Michael worked on several projects between sep. 2008 and June 2009. This was one of the 7 projects.

I'm surprised the fans are so negative about the business related to MJ.
Sure people will make money, but most of it will go to his kids.
And most importantly it's not about the money, it's about Michael and his creativity and visions coming to life.

As a fan I want to see all this projects coming to life. I want to see his creativity beyond the music. Trust me Michael was actively involved in this project as he was in the other 6.

Hopefully the estate will not prevent you from seeing those coming to life...

Sometimes I just don't understand some fans and members. :no:

If Michael did indeed work and plan for projects that were slated to be released, that means nothing should come of them? If this company did nothing, and abandoned the project, is that what people want? Would we not then hear from a portion of his fan base de-crying the lack of follow through?

Of course there will be money made from projects like this, money for the company that does the work, and money for the estate. Are some saying it would be better to never see these projects actualize, than to see business entities make money for the work put into them?

And if people do indeed want to hear and see projects come to fruition, just who's supposed to do it since Sony and Ubisoft, and so on and so on are the "bad guys" in every situation. And Ubisoft is the bad guy because they are talking about it?

I just don't know anymore, everything has to involve negativity. Each to his own, I guess, but sometimes it's just too much for me. Guess "discussion" boards sometimes just aren't meant for my personality.

this (working on the game before his death) would make sense because developing new games take substantial amount of time. Final Fantasy was in development for 3+ years and most games take over a year. Only newer editions of existing games can be done in shorter periods as they use many elements, game plays from the older versions.

this (working on the game before his death) would make sense because developing new games take substantial amount of time. Final Fantasy was in development for 3+ years and most games take over a year. Only newer editions of existing games can be done in shorter periods as they use many elements, game plays from the older versions.

exactly.

If Michael did indeed work and plan for projects that were slated to be released, that means nothing should come of them? If this company did nothing, and abandoned the project, is that what people want? Would we not then hear from a portion of his fan base de-crying the lack of follow through?

Of course there will be money made from projects like this, money for the company that does the work, and money for the estate. Are some saying it would be better to never see these projects actualize, than to see business entities make money for the work put into them?

And if people do indeed want to hear and see projects come to fruition, just who's supposed to do it since Sony and Ubisoft, and so on and so on are the "bad guys" in every situation. And Ubisoft is the bad guy because they are talking about it?

I just don't know anymore, everything has to involve negativity. Each to his own, I guess, but sometimes it's just too much for me. Guess "discussion" boards sometimes just aren't meant for my personality.

i agree with u .some of them forget that estate has to keep on working for his legacy and his kids .which part they don't understand i really don't know.

Some aren't happy wallowing in their own misery, they have to drag others in their wasteland.

MJ's legacy must continue...as long as the projects are worthy of his vision & his talent AND APPROVED by the estate, I will support them.

Last edited:
i agree with u .some of them forget that estate has to keep on working for his legacy and his kids .which part they don't understand i really don't know.

I know, some people act like they want Michael's legacy to just disappear and his kids to go bankrupt or something just to suit their own agendas.

some people just go out of their way to not read posts, and be destructive in their conversation. for anybody to think that any fan wants Mj's legacy to be destroyed is just evil conversation just to be evil. those fans know that MJ arranged for his kids, no matter what anybody comes up with. there hasn't been an accusatory fan who hasn't demonstrated that they don't care about MJ or his kids, one way or the other by what they posted. fans trying to do in each other with their posts, is part of that. hurting for how MJ was treated in life, does not denote a desire to end his legacy...and using the kids to cover one's own selfish desire, while laying waste to somebody who doesn't feel like that accusatory fan wants them to feel, is the lowest thing to do. nobody said, stop selling stuff.

Last edited:
some people just go out of their way to not read posts, and be destructive in their conversation. for anybody to think that any fan wants Mj's legacy to be destroyed is just evil conversation just to be evil. those fans know that MJ arranged for his kids, no matter what anybody comes up with. there hasn't been an accusatory fan who hasn't demonstrated that they don't care about MJ or his kids, one way or the other by what they posted. fans trying to do in each other with their posts, is part of that. hurting for how MJ was treated in life, does not denote a desire to end his legacy...and using the kids to cover one's own selfish desire, while laying waste to somebody who doesn't feel like that accusatory fan wants them to feel, is the lowest thing to do. nobody said, stop selling stuff.

Thank you for this post.
As this thread progresses, it turned into something negative and I have no idea why.This is happening too much these days.
Mj knew about this project and so was involved in some way. The Estate and Ubisoft are doing the right thing by progressing it to its conclusion. Without projects like this, MJ's legacy will die and none of us want that to happen any time soon. End of story.

A woman I work with told me the other day that her grandkids already gave her their wish lists and they want MJ video games for Christmas. :)

I guess it's a great way to pass down Michael's legacy to younger generations.

I know, some people act like they want Michael's legacy to just disappear and his kids to go bankrupt or something just to suit their own agendas.

Michael's legacy will never just disappear...............

Even though he isn't physically with us................he is still the biggest star on the planet..................

...........Something like that doesn't just disappear..............

........Marilyn Monroe never disappeared.......
........Elvis Presley never disappeared......
........John Lennon never disappeared......

........Michael Jackson will never disappear!!!!!!!!

Back