View Poll Results: Do you suffer from anxiety/depression?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • no

22 17.89%
  • yes

101 82.11%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Been there. I suffered anxiety and depression for a year. Friends and family are my medicine. I talked to them openly about my problem. I just felt better. Besides that, I did a lot of activities to distract myself from thinking that same problem that has been haunting me.
    Though you're gone star far away
    Each time I see a rainbow
    I'll remember being with you
    Smiles coming through my tears
    "Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me".
    I love you, Fifi. Rest in Peace. Have fun in Rainbow Bridge. We will see each other again

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,356 Times in 3,647 Posts

Besides these two, I have insomnia since I was a baby. What a combination!
    I remember being depressed when I was 6 years old because children disciminated me or laughted at me because I use a walker.
    My only memory about an adult making me smile/happy is Michael. I could got out of there when I was 18; however, in 2009 (like many of you) I feel depressed again.
    Also my mother and I have very stormy relationship since ever I can remember; nowadays, we can't stand each other.

I was so used to try until I couls succed on my goals but thanks to that mother ****er C M many of us can make this dream come true anymore.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I used to have bad anxiety, but eventually I was able to cope with it. I haven't had an issue with it for a while.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,315 Posts

I have not been diagnosed or anything, but I believe I do suffer from some mild anxiety....sometimes social anxiety....A LOT of the time I find myself very uncomfortable and nervous around people I don't know....The only people I truly feel comfortable around are family...When I'm at work, I'm fine, I'm like a social butterfly and very personable...but I'm a nurse, I need to be...lol...But when it comes to social settings, I get so anxious and uncomfortable, that I am literally on the edge, waiting to be able to make a getaway...any excuse to get out of the situation...I don't think I'm at the point of needing to go see a doctor about it...I just deal with it as it comes....

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Aww I feel for all of you who have these issues. I really can't offer advice because I hardly take my own but just try to stay strong and when things get tough keep reminding yourself that "this too shall pass". About Michael I just keep telling myself that he is in a better place now, hopefully at peace and not in pain, stress or worry anymore. He did his job on earth and lived a full life for a 50 year old and with all he endured. We had him and we were so very lucky. We still have him in a way, I would like to believe.

I have a question for those of you who have been brave enough to get professional help. What is it like to see a therapist? Is it really difficult? Because just the thought of telling my problems and deepest feelings to some stranger is more frightening to me than going to a party, lol.
    Last edited by suzynyc; 03-09-2010 at 05:02 AM.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

yes I have small, panic attacks. Unfortunatly I cannot afford meds rigt now so I hope if I get a job soon I can be able to.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelofinnocence View Post
    I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this statement. Depression/anxiety is an illness. If you had an infection you would take antibiotics. Medication isn't for everyone but we must not condone people who are on it or have taken it in the past. It has helped me greatly and allowed me to work and to get on with life. Plus the waiting list is eight months here for therapy. If you have ever had severe mental health problems you will know that is a very long time to wait without medication. Also ant-di's are NOT ADDICTIVE.
    I would just like to say a thankyou for all the wonderful replies and kind words. Keep posting!
    A note of caution, lets not go into meds in detail. We are not doctors and everyone has the right to decide their own treatment so lets all please be sensitive to others.
    L.O.V.E

I 2nd AOI's reply.
    I have dealt with depression for over 20 years. I have also tried many prescriptions before finding one that works. It took about 5years before finding one that works for me. I am pretty happy now.
    I don't believe people get addicted to antidepressants. But for myself- I feel I need them to stay alive. I've stopped taking them, and the depression comes back. There are side effects to medicines though. They can be effective if used carefully and not mixing many kinds together.
    Be careful!
    Everyone has their own ways of dealing with things. Some react well to therapy, some meds, Hypnotics, some don't deal with it at all.
    The most important thing I can say is see your Doctor!!! Especially, if you are suicidal. They are the professionals. Talking through things with people helps. It is also good to be well rounded and have work, hobbies and friends. Giving/helping others can help you feel better too. I always try to be a better person-in whatever I do. If you listen to Michaels music, he will lead the way.
    add me Facebook

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arklove View Post
    I have not been diagnosed or anything, but I believe I do suffer from some mild anxiety....sometimes social anxiety....A LOT of the time I find myself very uncomfortable and nervous around people I don't know....The only people I truly feel comfortable around are family...When I'm at work, I'm fine, I'm like a social butterfly and very personable...but I'm a nurse, I need to be...lol...But when it comes to social settings, I get so anxious and uncomfortable, that I am literally on the edge, waiting to be able to make a getaway...any excuse to get out of the situation...I don't think I'm at the point of needing to go see a doctor about it...I just deal with it as it comes....
    Just like me!...we're not related are we? :mello:

"I'll never let you part, for you're always in my heart."

Dangerous21

I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this statement. Depression/anxiety is an illness. If you had an infection you would take antibiotics. Medication isn't for everyone but we must not condone people who are on it or have taken it in the past. It has helped me greatly and allowed me to work and to get on with life. Plus the waiting list is eight months here for therapy. If you have ever had severe mental health problems you will know that is a very long time to wait without medication. Also ant-di's are NOT ADDICTIVE.
    I would just like to say a thankyou for all the wonderful replies and kind words. Keep posting!
    A note of caution, lets not go into meds in detail. We are not doctors and everyone has the right to decide their own treatment so lets all please be sensitive to others.
    L.O.V.E
    Quote Originally Posted by tofdel1 View Post
    I 2nd AOI's reply.
    I have dealt with depression for over 20 years. I have also tried many prescriptions before finding one that works. It took about 5years before finding one that works for me. I am pretty happy now.
    I don't believe people get addicted to antidepressants. But for myself- I feel I need them to stay alive. I've stopped taking them, and the depression comes back. There are side effects to medicines though. They can be effective if used carefully and not mixing many kinds together.
    Be careful!
    Everyone has their own ways of dealing with things. Some react well to therapy, some meds, Hypnotics, some don't deal with it at all.
    The most important thing I can say is see your Doctor!!! Especially, if you are suicidal. They are the professionals. Talking through things with people helps. It is also good to be well rounded and have work, hobbies and friends. Giving/helping others can help you feel better too. I always try to be a better person-in whatever I do. If you listen to Michaels music, he will lead the way.
    I agree with these two. Mental illness is very much like other illnesses. It's a chemical imbalance that can be helped by medications. People do not become addicted to these medicines as they do with narcotics, benzos, etc.

That being said, many factors influence one's moods. People have varying success with different types of treatment (meds, cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, exercise, meditation, etc.). A lot of times, there is an inciting factor and once that is dealt with, the depression goes too. But in some people (especially those with a family predilection to being depressed), therapy/exercise/etc doesn't work and medications are necessary.

It is embarrassing in our culture to admit to having a problem with depression. But, again, it is an illness that has been studied quite a bit, with many options for treatment. Don't let a doctor just put you on an antidepressant and say goodbye. But do see a doctor, because he/she should assist you in getting the help you need.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thrillerchild View Post
    Just like me!...we're not related are we? :mello:
    :ninja: :lol:

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlene View Post
    yet you still manage to provide a shoulder for us to cry on - thank u :huggy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocus View Post
    You're right Sharlene! Stephen is one of those true angels!
    Thank you Stephen! Sending you lots of love & strength! :give_heart: :huggy: Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by Arklove View Post
    :ninja: :lol:
    :dancin::chillin::drunken:

"I'll never let you part, for you're always in my heart."

Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Question Re: any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Thanks everyone.
    I;m on medication and am on a waiting list for therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilishor View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't recommend taking medication (I'm no doctor though and I also said I wouldn't give advice :smilerolleyes. In my opinion, drugs don't 'treat' depression, they sort of hide it in a back closet, if you know what I mean + they give addiction. After a while, you won't be able to function without them.
    Therapy, without medication, will lighten you up...
    Michael, thank you for the music, the moves, the magic, and the memories.

"He invariably favors misdirection over confrontation." - Sean Ambrose
    "By deception thou shalt make war." - Mossad motto
    "The best way to control the opposition is to lead it." - Lenin
    "The idle jabbers . . . they're the backstabbers." - Michael Jackson

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I had a pretty bad bout of anxiety, depression and insomnia in high school .
    For about 6 months i couldn't fall asleep until about 4 hours after had gone to bed and everyone else had to be sleeping or i wouldn't be able to sleep.

I think the best advice(if you don't have a more serious medical disorder)
    is to

1 create or find a good network of friends: however not just any friends make sure your friends are the type of people that are ok with just hanging out all day even if you guys do absolutely nothing but talk. then you know you haven't found just a shopping buddy/drinking friend etc. but someone who you can form deeper emotional relationships with.

2 exercise: run/left weights/yoga running may be best, along with other cardiovascular exercises
    this will release endorphin neurotransmitters which will result in a natural high
    Exercise will also make you physically healthier and increase your self confidence.

Exercise may be the easier step to start of with, just make sure to keep a consistent exercise schedule. You don't need a gym membership or expensive home gym equipment, just buy a jump rope and a set of dumbbells.
    Then you can ease into the networking part and before you know it you'l start to feel better mentally and physically.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have many health problems and so can't exercise intensley. I also have my faith which helps alot. re the above-I haven't forgiven Tom Cruise for what he said about Brooke shields rightly taking medication for her severe post-natal depression. In my view, Mr. Cruise is a very ignorant man.
    You may write me down in history
    With your bitter, twisted lies,
    You may trod me in the very dirt
    But still, like dust, I’ll rise.
    Maya Angelou

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

ok, here I go guys. I was doing fine until june 25th, 2009. After that, I couldn't get out of bed. It hit me so hard I didn't how to handle it. Although I have had major depression for awhile the med were enough to keep me well.
    Fast forwar to today, I am still on the med I was on prior to 6/25 but it seems that I need more. I tried to do therapy but I wasn't fond ogf this guy, and I told him that I needed someone to help throug this rut that I have been in since 6/25. He was ok with that but he wasnt the right person I felt comfortable to discussthings with.

So, I haven't been back. My mom know how I am feeling and she will come over and get me out of the house, otherthwise...I don't go anywhere. I may go tot he maket for a few things but nowhere else. I habe been diagnosed in the 90's with depression and med and therapy worked well.
    I do no any MJ friends where I live I wish I did that would help out a lot. But, ya, It's been brutal since June 25 and it's only the beginning.
    "The key to being
    a wonderful writer is not to write.
    Leave room for God to walk in the room.
    You just get out of the way."

MICHAEL JACKSON
    ON THE CREATIVE PROCESS