Euthanizing My Best Friend Soon....

BillieJean84

Proud Member
I took my cat, Fancy to the vet today because of a sinus infection I thought she had. She was very lethargic, sleeping all day, was not eatting or drinking. When we got to the vet, the vet checked her out and did blood work and as you know, Fancy has kidney failure. It was brought to my attention then that Fancy not only has afew months to live because of her kidney failure, but she has a heart murmur. I have been thinking about it since taking her to the vet & have decided to euthanize Fancy, perhaps ASAP because I do not want any more suffering, nor do I want to spend money on something that is a high risk.

We brought Fancy home with some fluid and a packet of stuff that I have to inject in her introveinously once a day for this weekend. Upon giving her the IV, I am supposed to see how well shes doing &/or how bad shes feeling. When I brought Fancy in today, she was very dehydrated so I am to put the IV in about 200ccs of the stuff in her. Right now, she was given some fluids at the vet so shes doing a bit better, however its just a matter of time.

Keep her in your prayers?

I took my cat, Fancy to the vet today because of a sinus infection I thought she had. She was very lethargic, sleeping all day, was not eatting or drinking. When we got to the vet, the vet checked her out and did blood work and as you know, Fancy has kidney failure. It was brought to my attention then that Fancy not only has afew months to live because of her kidney failure, but she has a heart murmur. I have been thinking about it since taking her to the vet & have decided to euthanize Fancy, perhaps ASAP because I do not want any more suffering, nor do I want to spend money on something that is a high risk.

We brought Fancy home with some fluid and a packet of stuff that I have to inject in her introveinously once a day for this weekend. Upon giving her the IV, I am supposed to see how well shes doing &/or how bad shes feeling. When I brought Fancy in today, she was very dehydrated so I am to put the IV in about 200ccs of the stuff in her. Right now, she was given some fluids at the vet so shes doing a bit better, however its just a matter of time.

Sure enough. Please take care with that final decision though, life is the most important thing, even when in pain.

Earlier this evening i attended one of our cats cause he hurt one his front paws. We got very many of them, both cats and dogs, but i would hate it if i lost any single one of them.

Please take care of Fancy and don't give up on her yet. You never know, she might recover just fine.

RE:Re: Euthanizing My Best Friend Soon....

Sure enough. Please take care with that final decision though, life is the most important thing, even when in pain.

Earlier this evening i attended one of our cats cause he hurt one his front paws. We got very many of them, both cats and dogs, but i would hate it if i lost any single one of them.

Please take care of Fancy and don't give up on her yet. You never know, she might recover just fine.

Thank you. Yes, she may recover just fine and may have afew months left however as the dr. said there is no use in spending a lot of $$ which could be in the 1,000 of dollars trying to keep her alive. And, the vet said shes older than we think.

Thank you.

It´s not an easy decision but you know Fancy and I think you can see when it´s time to let her go.
Give her the best time you can and we can hope she can be fine for some time before she has to pass the rainbow bridge

http://www.indigo.org/rainbow/

ya I'm trying to spend as much time I can with her and take lots of pics.

BillieJean84, So sorry to hear that...........

Some people just don't understand how important their pets can be because they are always there for you and they never make any judgements about you.

I hope Fancy passes away peacefully with no pain.

thank you everyone. Fancy is my best friend literally. Were gonna have her cremated.

Pets can be our best friends, no doubt about it.
A lot of people are missing out.

All the best to you BillieJean84.

It's a very hard time to lose a pet. I've been through it a few times. It's especially hard when you live with that pet for so long. I went through it with my mom and dad with 3 different cats who all lived long life's.

This past winter, my wife had to put her yellow lab mix dog of 17 years down because she was in declining health after a stroke. It was heart breaking for both of us.

I know exactly what you're dealing with. It's not an easy decision, but it is for the best to put them down. It's the easiest and most peaceful way to pass. No pain and they won't suffer anymore.

Best wishes to you in this sad time

they use a form of chloroform?? I don't know what they use but whatever it is, she won't be in any pain right??

Did anyone think their pets knew it was their time?? Fancy knows.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for both you and Fancy...I understand your pain. I had a dog for 11 years and he was such a good boy...he got very sick..he had cancer and also a collapsed lyrenex....he started going to the bathroom in the house..I felt so bad for him. HE was suffering...I was suffering watching him suffer. It is soooo hard putting your beloved pet to sleep...I cried uncontrollably...but..I knew what was best for him..not me. It is hard to do it..I send you my prayers. I am sorry...:hug:

I'm so sorry! I'll keep you and Fancy in my prayers. (Fancy is a great name for a cat, btw!)

I've read about pets that seem to know it's their time. Animals seem to be intuitive about stuff like this.

I had to go to the vet and euthanize my 18 years old cats some years ago.
It was 2 cats and I didn´t take them to the vet at the same time.
It´s important for me to be there with them until the end but I know some can not do it.
I hold the female cat in my arms and the vet gave her a shot in the head to sleep.
She got a little sick after the shot but she felt no pain.
The vet turned out the lights and left us , there was a candle in the room.
The vet came back checked if the heart was still beating and if it was she gave a shot direct in the heart.
Then I could sit there as long as I needed.
I was in another place with the male and that vet gave him a shot in the stomach.
Then he fell asleep in my arms.
No pain.

The vets used some kind of strong sleepingdrugs and I guess it´s different in different places and they might give the injection direct in a vein.
If you want you can ask the vet if you can bring a candle or a little flower for Fancy

I had to put my dog to sleep 4 years ago...he was 10. And my best friend.
It was so painful and I cried for a long, long time.
But I just couldn"t watch him suffer, he became very sick. :( :(
I understand how you feel and I know you will make the right decision.

I don't remember the drug they use, but when they give it to the animal, it's basically an overdose. 1st it allows them to peacefully drift off to sleep, then with the extra medication in the shot, it stops the heart and breathing. Doing it this way allows the animal to peacefully drift off to sleep, and then dies during sleep.

This is how my wife's dog was put down.

I'm so sorry to hear about Fancy :( I know what you're going through, my cat Betsy has kidney disease, we spent a lot of money on blood tests to establish what was wrong, she had collapsed twice before we found out what was wrong and that was the scariest time for me. However, she's on a special diet and tablets now and certainly isn't in pain or suffering right now, so we're taking one day at a time. Luckily she hasn't collapsed again since June, however the vet did say that if she does start to deteriorate than we would have to start thinking about ending her suffering.

Its always a heartbreaking decision to make, I've had 4 cats in my life and all of them have had to be put to sleep for some reason or another. Its horrible to make the decision but at the same time I can't stand the thought of them suffering. I'm just greatful for the the 5 years I've had with Betsy so far (we adopted her when she was 10) and I know that she had a bit of a rough time (she had at least 2 owners previously who couldn't cope with another problem she has - a sort of IBS type thing) before we adopted her, but I'm comforted that the last years of her life have been happy and loving, and will continue to be so until her time comes.

My thoughts are with you xxx

I'm so sorry to hear about Fancy :( I know what you're going through, my cat Betsy has kidney disease, we spent a lot of money on blood tests to establish what was wrong, she had collapsed twice before we found out what was wrong and that was the scariest time for me. However, she's on a special diet and tablets now and certainly isn't in pain or suffering right now, so we're taking one day at a time. Luckily she hasn't collapsed again since June, however the vet did say that if she does start to deteriorate than we would have to start thinking about ending her suffering.

Its always a heartbreaking decision to make, I've had 4 cats in my life and all of them have had to be put to sleep for some reason or another. Its horrible to make the decision but at the same time I can't stand the thought of them suffering. I'm just greatful for the the 5 years I've had with Betsy so far (we adopted her when she was 10) and I know that she had a bit of a rough time (she had at least 2 owners previously who couldn't cope with another problem she has - a sort of IBS type thing) before we adopted her, but I'm comforted that the last years of her life have been happy and loving, and will continue to be so until her time comes.

My thoughts are with you xxx

Thank you and Godbless you. Fancy too has kidney failure and we too, have spent alot of money on her with medicine and the bag of saline to inject her intraveinously... etc. we have done pretty much everything we can do but, we have failed. I would like for Fancy to pass away here at home where she is comfortable and surrounded by loved ones.

I would like for Fancy to pass away here at home where she is comfortable and surrounded by loved ones.

Some vets will come to your house to do this. Do you know if your vet provides this service? I think it's the best way, if possible. Then you don't have to put her in the car and drive her to the vet, which is stressful and scary (at least it is for my pets).

I am so sorry to hear about Fancy. Especially since your Fancy looks like my Tabby from the pictures you have posted on here of her. My Tabby is really getting up there in age. She is already 15 years old. I had her since she was 3 months old. And I think she may have arthritis because she has such trouble getting around anymore. She can't even jump up on things anymore. I or my mother has to pick her up in order to put her on the cat condo so she can look out the window. Or on the one kitchen chair. She can still jump down but even that is hard on her. She should be taken to the vet to be look at. But my Tabby girl is an indoor cat and she is terrified of going outside. Let alone to be taken to a vet to be looked at.
I am glad that Fancy is doing a bit better. But I am so sorry that you might have euthanize her soon. Which is something I can't even imagine doing to my cat. My mother wants to have her put down. But I won't let her do that I want my cat to die naturally of old age. And hopefully at home in one of her favorite beds. But I do know when that sad day comes I know Michael will take very good care of my Tabby. And I will keep your Fancy in my prayers.

Some vets will come to your house to do this. Do you know if your vet provides this service? I think it's the best way, if possible. Then you don't have to put her in the car and drive her to the vet, which is stressful and scary (at least it is for my pets).

OMG.. thats a good idea. I might have to call the vet and ask them if they will provide that. My mother and I were so dreading the ride home from the vet. But then again, we are going to have Fancy cremated & I'm going to keep the ashes in my room in a special place and her favorite toy mouse next to her.

thanks everyone!!

I'm so sorry to hear about what you and Fancy are going through :( My cat was put to sleep nearly ten years ago. I took the last picture of him the morning he was put down, due to old age. He was in the garden sitting up on the grass and he looked really bedraggled, looked sorry for himself and rarely moved about. It distressed us grately but we did the right thing in ending his suffering. All I can do is recommend you do what YOU feel is right by Fancy.

:angel:

I hope you all like the videos I posted. Thanks everyone. It means a lot. Shes really my best friend. Fancy has always been good to me. Shes been a great cat, a great friend. I just hope that I was good to her like she was to me.

I hope Fancy passes away comfortably and peacefully in the house. I can't bare to go to the vet and be with her when / if shes put down. I hope thats not self-fish.

It´s not self-fish.
Some can be with their animals until the end and some can´t stand it.
We love our animals but we are different as persons and we have to to what feels right for ourselves.

It will make my stomach turn & I will be sick & will pass out if I go with the vet to have Fancy be put down.

I hope you all like the videos I posted. Thanks everyone. It means a lot. Shes really my best friend. Fancy has always been good to me. Shes been a great cat, a great friend. I just hope that I was good to her like she was to me.

Oh my gosh... your videos made me teary... :cry:
Fancy's so sweet and loving. Of course you've been great to her, it even shows in those videos. :huggy:

Back