Arrogance accepted from today's artists?...

xrisx

Proud Member
I just read the following article on Mtv.com. (don't even ask me why, I guess I was bored ;) )

"Lady Gaga Says Born This Way Will Be 'Greatest Album Of This Decade'

Singer also says there may be up to 20 new songs on the new album."
By James Dinh

It has been months since Lady Gaga first started hyping her forthcoming album, Born This Way, and the pop visionary recently raised the stakes. During a Monster Ball tour performance in Poland on Friday, the always bold singer promised fans that she'd deliver "the greatest album of this decade," with possibly up to 20 new tracks. She also revealed that Born This Way doesn't follow current trends.

"I promise you, I'll never let you down. And not for nothing: The album's finished and it's f---ing really good," Gaga tearfully told the audience, who simultaneous held up signs that read "Born This Way" backward. "So whatever this is, whatever you just did for all of us ... I promise to give you the greatest album of this decade, just for you."

The singer, who is prepping a promotional campaign for the album, also touched base on what sounds like a possible dig at her pop competitors, saying, "The funny thing is that some people have reduced freedom to a brand. They think that it's trendy now to be free. They think it's trendy to be excited about your identity. When in truth, there is nothing trendy about Born This Way."

Describing the new album as "a spirit" and "this connection that we all share," the pop star confessed that her new music "is something so much deeper than a wig or lipstick or an outfit, or a f---ing meat dress. ... Born This Way is about what keeps us up at night and what makes us afraid."

Gaga isn't the only who has been talking up the new material, as everyone from the singer's manager, Akon, Elton John and Monster Ball opening act Semi Precious Weapons have also gushed about the album.

While the songstress told the crowd that the LP will consist of mostly "f---ing sledge-hammering dance," she's still unsure of the length of Born This Way, but plans to give fans as much music as possible.

"I'm still deciding, the album could be longer than you would imagine ... I'm not sure," she said. "I can't decide, really, because I think that times are different, you know. It used to be kind of a faux pas to put out too much music on your album, but I feel like you guys deserve all of the records I do, 'cause I work hard on them. So who knows, you might get, like, 20 new Gaga songs."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653141/20101129/lady_gaga.jhtml

Reading this has made me wonder several things.

It seems that when Kanye West makes certain arrogant statements about his work he gets called all kinds of names. So why is nobody talking about how arrogant this woman is?
Why is it somehow accepted from her? What's with the double standard.

Not only that but why is the public accepting all of this BS? What happened to being humble? What happened to letting the public decide how great an album is?
Some of the greatest albums (Thriller being one of them) didn't have any of this hype before they exploded. So why do some of these new people feel like this is the way to go?

I personally can't stand arrogant people. (Famous or regular) What gets to me is that not only does arrogance seem to become accepted and some sort of norm nowadays (In regular life as well people for some reason seem to get inspired by their favorite artists acting this way) it seems to be celebrated now.

It just really gets me angry not only that people like her and others seem to get away with it (while there is a double standard for certain other artists) but also that people don't even seem to care anymore and think that this is just what artists do.

Now don't get me wrong I know that a lot of artists are their own biggest fan and I know others in the past have done something like this as well. This is not something entirely new.
I know for instance Michael would talk about Thriller privately in a way that could be considered a little arrogant ( or maybe presumptious is a better word)
But it seems to be getting worse now and it makes me long back to other artists who weren't so full of themselves. (At least not in public.)
(I could name some names but I think my post is already quite long lol)
Especially when the artists doing the talking can't even compare to the real legends of years gone by.

It's almost like the public gets brainwashed before the album is released into believing that this (or other albums) is the greatest album ever.
And people seem to be falling for it before they have even heard anything.
It's like the new way to sell your album. It makes me think of what Michael used to say.

"Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth".
I'm not saying these people are lying but it does seem that they will repeat something often enough untill the public catches on and will say it on their own. (The media does it as well)

I just sometimes wish stuff like this was more frowned upon and artists that don't act like this would get praised more. Maybe that's just naive of me in some way.

Okay I guess my rant is over ;) Sorry if it comes off the wrong way.

But what do you think about it?
I'm really wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't get this?
Just to be clear I didn't make this thread as a Gaga bashing thread.

I only accept it if it's entertaining. Kanye West's arrogance, for example, is awesome to me. Lady GaGa's arrogance annoys me though, probably because she's not funny, and if you're arrogant and not funny then all that's left is an arrogant douche.

No offence to anybody here. BUT TODAY'S ARTISTS!!!!????? HAHAHA COME ON!!!!!

There are only a few who deserve the tittle of Artist and those are not the mainstream singers that are fashionable today.

The only comment I have is that Gaga better deliver the 'greatest album of the decade'....if she's gonna shoot her mouth off like that......Let the music speak for itself, dammit

"I promise you, I'll never let you down. And not for nothing: The album's finished and it's f---ing really good," Gaga tearfully told the audience, who simultaneous held up signs that read "Born This Way" backward. "So whatever this is, whatever you just did for all of us ... I promise to give you the greatest album of this decade, just for you."

:laugh:

There's a fine line and difference between "artifical humility" and "magolomaniac delusions".

Fact of the matter is- if you don't believe in yourself (Yes, I Believe In Me
So You Believe In You
Help Me Sing It...-anyone??) in that business, you don't even have to get out of bed, honestly.

Michael knew that that's the attitude you need- but he also delivered.

He knew how to ride the public fine line of "confidence" without sounding like some boxer in some press conference, but somehow people assume that he was some kind of super shy wall flower who couldn't make his vision understood- they simply underestimated him all all the time- while he was gracious enough not to expose every second journalist by not embarrassing the journalist too much.

He's a smart cookie but didn't really get the "brain" credit for his accomplishments. He didn't get where he was by pretending that he doesn't know what he's capable off and what he's worth. He knew what he was doing by setting up an Estate...very smart in his own right.

That is why he is Michael fu**ing Jackson, so say it plainly- while we are all NOT. :D

Or call it the spiritual-magical approach. He said he believes in miracles- but as usual nobody gives him credit for stating such a simple truth.
If you want success, you can't be sabotaging yourself by thinking "well, well, can't get too cocky". He knew that- but in usual fashion magician Michael knew how to word that in public- that's where some publicists could learn a few things from him.

Michael Jackson said:
He hot willed in the face
Keep daring to motivate
He say one day you will see
His place in world history
He dares to be recognized
The fires deep in his eyes

Don't let no one get you down
Keep movin' on higher ground
Keep flying until
You are the king of the hill
No force of nature can break
Your will to self motivate

She say this face that you see
Is destined for history

^^^ Remember how Diane Sawyer attacked him over HIStory? Well, guess who won that one...

Last edited:
The industry accepts these individuals because they have to resort to arrogance to sell their albums............

The general public accepts these individuals because there isn't anybody else (or rather the big Music Labels refuse to sign up any real talent)........

It just proves how bad the Music Industry really is..........

Now that she said that, people will say it's crap even if it's Mozart (LMFAO, silly me comparing Gaga to MOZART).

She is arrogant but doesn't she have some brains?

"Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth".

Just wanted to say that when fans say Michael said the repeat a lie enough and often line from the Oprah '93 interview, it tends to annoy me because he didn't say it, he quoted it from Joesph Goebbels, Nazi State Propaganda minister.

P.S. That's not a personal bash at you. A lot of fans say it.

Just wanted to say that when fans say Michael said the repeat a lie enough and often line from the Oprah '93 interview, it tends to annoy me because he didn't say it, he quoted it from Joesph Goebbels, Nazi State Propaganda minister.

P.S. That's not a personal bash at you. A lot of fans say it.

It's okay, I didn't know he quoted someone else. Thanks for clearing that up.
I've heard him say it so I guess that's why I associate it with him.

Artists today want things to fast because people give them things TO FAST.... Artists today are not even artists. They are marketing puppets. Back in the 70's you would never hear Sly Family or James say this is going to be the greatest album of the decade... Singers today are very different because the music industry is different now. She aint nobody important and what she has to say doesnt mean anything unless people want it to be. No album of this decade has been great.

Back in the 70's you would never hear Sly Family or James say this is going to be the greatest album of the decade...
Maybe not, but JB was rather cocky though. Sly was too stoned and out of it to proclaim anything. :D

Lady GaGa is amazing , let's wait and see :p:

gaga is basically an exercise in the modern media pop machine. All created by Celeb columns and magazines. the songs etc are basically an afterthought, only a matter of time before she goes a way similar to Britney.

Unfortunately the arrogance has crept into society and for me it has mostly come from the rise of Hip hop and the way that Rappers have always displayed self arrogance as part of the whole 'art'. But now its mainstream everyone does it and it really is poor.

infact I was just listening to one of Kanyes new songs and literally turned it off when I heard the line 'if god had an Ipod, I'd be on his playlist'
From him to Usher with that 'filling MJs shoes' in his concert crap its really poor how all these people have to tell us how great they are without us working it out for ourselves.

Unfortunately the arrogance has crept into society and for me it has mostly come from the rise of Hip hop and the way that Rappers have always displayed self arrogance as part of the whole 'art'. But now its mainstream everyone does it and it really is poor.
Nobody today has anything on Wilson "The Wicked" Pickett and David Ruffin or even Sting, David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, & Axl Rose. :D

Maybe not, but JB was rather cocky though. Sly was too stoned and out of it to proclaim anything. :D

lol Your right but the industry was just different.

Nowadays artists sell by trash talk and by doing absolutely nothing. Im so tired of talented acts get nothing over overrated pop stars. Im so tired of people not thinking for themselves and allowing the media to tell them what music to listen to. Wake the f*** up, turn off the radio and find good music.

Back