Black Eyed Peas album a flop at No. 6 on chart

StacyJ

Proud Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101209/music_nm/us_sales

By Keith Caulfield Keith Caulfield – Wed Dec 8, 8:27 pm ET
LOS ANGELES (Billboard) – Weeks ago -- on paper, at least -- the new Black Eyed Peas album seemed a safe bet for a No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 albums chart.

But no, the funk group could manage only a No. 6 start for "The Beginning," which sold just 119,000 copies during the week ended December 5, according to Nielsen SoundScan data issued Wednesday. That's a sharp drop from the launch of its previous album, "The E.N.D.," which debuted at No. 1 in June 2009 after selling 304,000 copies in its first week.

Chalk up some of "The Beginning's" soft start to the good-but-not-great response to its lead single "The Time (Dirty Bit)," which jumped five places to No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Last year when "The E.N.D." came out, the Peas were basking in the glow of "Boom Boom Pow," which was spending its 11th week at No. 1 on the Hot 100.

Meanwhile Susan Boyle returned to No. 1 with "The Gift," which sold 272,000 copies. Last week's champ, Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," slid to No. 7 with 108,000 copies, a hefty drop of 78%.

The other newcomer in the top 10 was the "Glee, the Music Volume 4" soundtrack at No. 5 with 128,000 copies. Further down, Jazmine Sullivan's second album "Love Me Back" came in at No. 17 and Chrisette Michele's third effort "Let Freedom Reign" launched at No. 25.

Taylor Swift's former chart-topper "Speak Now" rose two to No. 2 with 182,000, Jackie Evancho's "O Holy Night" was also up two, to No. 3, with 145,000, and the "Glee" Christmas album soared six to No. 4 with 129,000.

Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday" dropped six to No. 8 with 103,000 in its second week. Josh Groban's "Illuminations" jumped three to No. 9 with 78,000 and Rihanna's "Loud" rose four to No. 10 with 77,000.

Overall album sales totaled 9.22 million units, off 10% from the previous week and down 9% compared to the comparable sales week of 2009. Year to date album sales stand at 281.24 million, down 13% compared to the same total at this point last year.

i dont believe it :bugeyed but there are so many good artists today :yes:

Will.I.AM is probably not too happy with that debut. I hope Michael's new one does better.

Will i am is a nice guy but in my opinion the Black Eyed Peas are extreamly overrated now a days. They're older music was decent but now it's just meh. Boom Boom Pow and I Gotta Feeling makes me wanna rip my ears out. I do like Meet Me Halfway however

ive heard the new album... its pretty awful lol... i miss the days of 'Shut Up' and 'My Humps' lol

I think with the BEP it's a matter of over-saturation. The BEP's dominated the past year. Their songs were everywhere and highly overplayed. They are still doing well, and the album just came out so it's unfair to call it a flop amongst steep holiday competition, but I do think it would have been wise to give the group a cooling off period. Fergie should have released another solo album in between or something.

DANG! I thought they were "interesting" when they first landed, but now - not so much.

Will.I.Am, I know. Fergie, I know. But somebody please tell me what the two other members bring to the group. I don't even know their names. LOL!

Yeah, there new song is terrible, they completly reuined I Had The Time Of My Life, they were much better when they first started out.

I would not set the word "flop" in this thread title, I think it is so not nice...

I think with the BEP it's a matter of over-saturation. The BEP's dominated the past year. Their songs were everywhere and highly overplayed. They are still doing well, and the album just came out so it's unfair to call it a flop amongst steep holiday competition, but I do think it would have been wise to give the group a cooling off period. Fergie should have released another solo album in between or something.

Exactamundo. Everyone's in such a rush to release new music, whether or not it's worthy of it. Rhianna, BEP etc 2 albums in 18 months.

Miss the old BEPS have not been to keen on their new stuff - especially what they have done to Ive had the time of my life...sorry to say but its an ear bleeder!!

I don't consider an album in the top 10 a flop. I don't like their new song though. Time of My Life should have been left alone.

The only BEP song I really liked was Where Is The Love. The rest was just mediocre imo. That's why I wasn't too fond of Michael working with Will.I.Am either, I'm glad the songs didn't appear on the album. Cause when Will.I.Am says it's gonna be a "club banger" I know enough -_-

^Well to be fair I bought Will.I.am's solo album which came out in 2006 when they were working together and he wasn't making the kind of music he is doing now.
It was a little more funky and melodic. (listen to the music played during the 2006 interview with Michael for example.) So I think they were working on some great songs. (although that could have something to do with personal taste which is subjective I guess)

I don't know what has happened to the BEP.
I like their first two albums with Fergie but they have just changed direction completely at some point.
This new stuff isn't really working for me.

I don't listen to them now, but their early stuff with Kim Hill was more interesting. Kim said she quit because she was at the record label meeting in which the group was told that they would get dropped unless they made more commercial music as what they were doing wasn't selling. So they got Fergie who used to be in a girl group called Wild Orchid.
[youtube]Z8kS7atmTis[/youtube]
[youtube]YN9muHLuHDc[/youtube]
[youtube]lhQSMWiwAeA[/youtube]
Interview
[youtube]TKHrJFZJfFI[/youtube]

I like the Black Eyed Peas. But I have to agree that they really need to take a break for awhile. They've been everywhere in the last 18 months from when "The E.N.D." came out. And to me, it didn't help coming out with another album that quick. People are starting to get tired of them. They need to go away for awhile and then come back in a few years IMO. Just to give folks time to miss them. That's all.

I dont think being at #6 is a flop but i dont like their recent song though. Like many of u guys i like their earlier stuff like "shut up"

I think it performed like that because Will.I.Am started saying that B.E.P. are the "biggest band in the World"..............

...........People just don't like self-glorification without real substance!!!!!!!!

I think it performed like that because Will.I.Am started saying that B.E.P. are the "biggest band in the World"..............

...........People just don't like self-glorification without real substance!!!!!!!!

He said that? Wow. Well, he sure got a reality check here lol.

well, dirty bit is on the radio a lot, and it went top five on itunes, so people are buying it. it's doing well, and it's in the top five of the kiis fm playlist and it just started. and like anything else, it needs time. chart positioning isn't judged wisely if it's judged by just one week.

Back